Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where does my money go?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭trapmando

I think one thing that could be done is a reduction in the levy to the ICPSA for disciplines that are less popular as a way to encourage that discipline. We already see a prominient ground like Esker stopping ABT shoots because they were only getting @ 6 squads per shoot compared to @15 at DTL. Wasn't paying them aparently (even though they weas only 4 and a bit at their last DTL shoot !) This is a loss to ABT as while not many Irsh team scores were got there, the targets were top quality and it was the only ABT grounds holding regular ABT shoots south of Monaghan/Ashbourne. It was the place to encourage ABT uptake for the whole of the midlands and the southern shooters that regularly travel up that far.

In fairness to you in the Mountain, Dave, you have persisted with the ABTs even with the lower squad numbers than DTL. I dont think ye are as profit driven, with a genuine interest in shooting, which is appreciated by all shooters going there.

An effort was put in by Esker and the mountain last year to run ABT shoots along side DTL's and I think this reflected on the ABT team this year with 2 munster based shooters who i dont think would have been remotely interested in ABT had they not got interested when doing DTL at those 2 grounds.

So as a way of encouraging the minority disciplines, perhaps a levy decrease to the ICPSA so that grounds would be encouraged to run them.

I dont think birds only would work as prize money is pretty low anyway and you are doing extremely well to get your money back for winning your class.

With regards to the best shooters not making the best coachs I would agree, (look at ROy Keane and Sunderland) but I would still like my coach to be able to post a decent enough score though to have confidence in him/her!

one other thing, do u think the icpsa actually listens to anything said to them? Will they listen to any comments from that survey? A lot of coments here get a response saying that if you feel that way you should let the ISPCA know about it, but is it because you dont feel they would listen that you dont?

Also, i think any comments posted here are well read by the higher echelons of the ICPSA and no need to contact them further!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭TrapperJohn

trapmando wrote: »
    Also, i think any comments posted here are well read by the higher echelons of the ICPSA and no need to contact them further!

Well I would have to say if you can't say it to their face then don't expect anyone else to do it for you and certainly don't think that posting something here anonymously on boards is good enough.

What's wrong with sending and email to the ICPSA? What are you afraid of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭TrapperJohn

With regards to the best shooters not making the best coachs I would agree, (look at ROy Keane and Sunderland) but I would still like my coach to be able to post a decent enough score though to have confidence in him/her!

Sure isn't that contradictory. Surely confidence in your coach comes from you as a student improving your score under their tutelage and not on their ability to post a decent score?

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Each week I pay €40 to shoot 100 clays at various registered shoots around the country. I know that some of the €40 comes back as prize money and some is profit for the shoot owner, but where does the rest go?

Off topic, maybe. Where does our Firearms License fee go and is any of it returned to the sport.

Does anyone know how much is taken in through all Firearms License fees?.

Sikamick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 pull!the other

one other thing, do u think the icpsa actually listens to anything said to them? Will they listen to any comments from that survey? A lot of coments here get a response saying that if you feel that way you should let the ISPCA know about it, but is it because you dont feel they would listen that you dont?

I think that Trapmando overestimates the weight given to anonymous posts on an internet chatroom by anyone and surely if a suggestion is worth doing, it is worth submitting in an attributable fashion to those in a position to implement them?

And while Trapmando appears in previous posts to be keen to keep hold of whatever winnings might be on offer, this financial concern does not extend to the ICPSA and might he suggest how the Association would fund the Teams etc from a reduced levy?

And maybe I am wrong, but is this topic not about where the money goes and not how to increase the take for clubs as Trapmando's suggested levy reduction is not equated with a reduction in entry fees but as a means to reward those running shoots?

Perhaps I do over estimate the weight of this board but it is meant purely as a discussion topic to see what others think

My point about the levy reduction is that if it was reduced for say ABT (or OT) perhaps you might have more grounds holding ABT shoots (if they can) and then perhaps more people might start to shoot that discipline. They wont take it up if it's not available to them. At the moment a couple of grounds could hold ABT shoots but they wont because they can get more than double the numbers at a DTL shoot, so they are saying it doesn't pay them to hold ABT.

What I'm saying is that if there was more in it for the grounds by means of a levy reduction, more shoots would be run, more people would get interested, the numbers attending would rise, and then when there are enough people attending to make it pay, raise the levy again. There would still be a levy to cover teams etc and there is less members on the team anyway. The ground wouldn't be getting any more out of it than an average DTL shoot with 10 squads.

As a matter of interest how many shooters does a ground need in order to make it worth while? 5 squads?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

While I'd love to argue that boards.ie has a lot more weight than it's usually given credit for (and I think I could successfully argue that, by the way), I think the more interesting thing this thread has to offer is a place to brainstorm ideas about. If one survives criticism by those who know the discipline and the those who run the grounds and so on; well, who cares where it originates? It'll be adopted anyway. You can see that by noticing how things that have been done by one shooting group that proved a success, have been taken up by every other shooting group trying to further their sports. Websites, email lists, sms lists, PR campaigns, newsletters, organisational structures, pricing, and more - good ideas in all these areas get used by everyone eventually.

And that's a good thing. So hasten it along by dumping an idea into the public domain and letting everyone use it, instead of worrying over who gets credit for it. Open Source Target Shooting, if you will :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭dave999

As a matter of interest how many shooters does a ground need in order to make it worth while? 5 squads?

Trap,
    I think its well kown that 'we' do it for the love of the sport (coming from a complete non shooter!). To pick up your point about ABT numbers, we run 'sym' DTL & ABT shoots on each registered date, to encourage the choice and try help develop ABT shooting. Yesterday 2 people entered just for ABT and 3 more entered after they had shot DTL. The math is simple (prev post shows where the €40.00 entry fee goes), so time & effort v's reward (non financial of course!) tends to make us think towards not laying on ABT. We do it for the ABT enthusiasts, shame there so few of them down our neck of the woods, but for those that do travel +/- 2 hours, we will look after them.

Like I said already, ye deserve a lot of credit at the mountain for running the shoot with so little entries. Pity all grounds didn't share your enthusiasm for the sport. Another ground has stopped and they were getting 4 to 6 full squads per shoot! They were also getting 10++ squads at DTL.

So the levy reduction was just an idea. Any other ideas or thoughts on this?

Obviously a levy reduction wouldn't help ABT at B Mountain as they are good enough to hold the shoots anyway, but if other grounds were encouraged to do so, resulting in more, similar, shoots in the area, more shooters might follow it around like they follow the DTL?

There are a few UT shoots this year in 2 grounds and I for one am looking forward to giving it a go.

Finally I agree with Sparks, this is a good area for throwing out ideas for fellow shooters to talk about, a facility that perhaps may useful on the national bodies website. At least (sometimes) you get feedback on what others think and plenty of other shooters have the opportunity to join in too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

bigred wrote: »
    I'm not a clay buster myself, but as an outsider, judging by the website and the amount of shoots, ICPSA looks like a great outfit. The lack of matches for what I do is frustrating, but you guys have somewhere to go EVERY weekend! You even had ole Biffo at the shoot in Esker. I'd happily pay €40 if I had somewhere to go every weekend.

Can I take you up on that bigred? ;)

We've run two air shoots this year and not one person turned up. We ran one last year and had a similar turnout.

€40 might just cover the cost :)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

rrpc wrote: »

We've run two air shoots this year and not one person turned up. We ran one last year and had a similar turnout.

If I remember correct, I signed up to anything that was going, only to be disappointed when you cancelled ;). I can understand the problem - who'd want to bother with tiny little airguns when you could suck in the aroma of burnt cordite :D

bigred wrote: »
    If I remember correct, I signed up to anything that was going, only to be disappointed when you cancelled ;). I can understand the problem - who'd want to bother with tiny little airguns when you could suck in the aroma of burnt cordite :D

We're a money grubbing financially motivated bunch of capitalists :D. If it pays, we'll do it, doesn't matter what it smells like :).

We've a bunch of medals that were never competed for so we're intent on getting our money back. Three entries would do it, that's how hard up we are. :D

I'll have a look at the calendar and see what we can arrange.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

We're a money grubbing financially motivated bunch of capitalists :D. If it pays, we'll do it, doesn't matter what it smells like :).

We've a bunch of medals that were never competed for so we're intent on getting our money back. Three entries would do it, that's how hard up we are. :D

I'll have a look at the calendar and see what we can arrange.

If you're shooting air - I'm there :D (If she lets me...)
    When I get my SSP, I'll see you at all the matches (If she lets me..). Consider me a minority investor :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I guess those exemptions Mr. Ahern mentioned are REAL important then!!

B'Man

Bananaman wrote: »

B'Man
    Well Bananaman, it seems people want their guns to go 'bang' rather than go 'pfffft'.

Go figure :D

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Rathdrum is predominantly a smallbore range. Run a .22 rifle or pistol match there and it fills up pretty well.

I have no idea why the airgun shooters didn't turn up and it's years since I've been at an airgun match but I suspect that 10m shoots in WTSC and UCDRC are better attended.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

IRLConor wrote: »
    Rathdrum is predominantly a smallbore range. Run a .22 rifle or pistol match there and it fills up pretty well.

I have no idea why the airgun shooters didn't turn up and it's years since I've been at an airgun match but I suspect that 10m shoots in WTSC and UCDRC are better attended.

Yeah, I think we had somewhere in the order of fifty entries at either the UCD Open or the DURC open, someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but turnouts there are good. I had my name down for the pre-nationals air shoot in Rathdrum the last time. I don't know why people just don't seem to want to go there for air matches.

Are they not mostly students who go to the college matches?

B'Man

Are they not mostly students who go to the college matches?

B'Man

There are a lot of students, yes, those being a large part of the shooting community, but we also have a significant number of people from various walks of life as well. We have so many students because Dublin's two most prominent universities have shooting clubs, and UCD has the nicest air range around, so even if most don't keep up shooting after college, it's good to get them shooting while they're there.

• Advertisement

Wow B'man, for someone who's always saying that we're all shooters together, you went down the "they're only feckin' students" road pretty damn fast there...

And there's only one college-only match, the intervarsity (or colours) match. The UCD Opens, the DURC Opens, they're exactly that - Open.

Steady now Sparks - take a deep breath - in through the nose .....,

I was only indicating that they may not travel to Rathdrum as

a) they are skint
    b) they don't have any firearms
    c) there's a two for one special on vodka/red bulls in the College bar that day.
    d) they have to go home to get mammy to do their washing
    e) etc.

When the matches are held in the college where there is no outlay and they are already there and the firearms and ammo are provided, of course you will get larger/any numbers.

I'll bet if you had it followed by naked darts you'd get even more :)

B'Man

Steady now Sparks - take a deep breath - in through the nose .....,

I was only indicating that they may not travel to Rathdrum as

a) they are skint
    b) they don't have any firearms
    c) there's a two for one special on vodka/red bulls in the College bar that day.
    d) they have to go home to get mammy to do their washing
    e) etc.

When the matches are held in the college where there is no outlay and they are already there and the firearms and ammo are provided, of course you will get larger/any numbers.

I'll bet if you had it followed by naked darts you'd get even more :)

B'Man

TO be honest, there's no reason not to see the same turnout. It costs them nothing extra to get to Rathdrum as a rule since a few of us do the driving most of the time. I've driven a few hundred miles over the last year to and from matches. Firearms are brought with us on removal orders, and range officers and the match secretary deal with that, so members have no hassle, can't speak for part C, or D for that matter. :p Realistically, it's difficult to see why they can't come to Rathdrum same as UCD. We don't hold matches in Trinity; our insurance doesn't cover it and the range is too small, but people still make it to Wilkinstown and UCD for air matches all the time, and Rathdrum for smallbore matches, so it's odd that they then don't go to Rathdrum for air matches.

And again, I argue the advertising was woeful!!

I heard nothing about these until well after the event, when you were giving out that DURC weren't there! I can't go (nor can I convince peopel to go!) if there I don't know about them.

DURC open always get good attendence as we spam, spam and spam our members as well as posting here and on the NTSA website. The more you plug, the more they will come! Saying 'well, it was on the calendar' isnt advertising, however sending me a couple of emails about is!

And again, I argue the advertising was woeful!!

I heard nothing about these until well after the event, when you were giving out that DURC weren't there! I can't go (nor can I convince peopel to go!) if there I don't know about them.

DURC open always get good attendence as we spam, spam and spam our members as well as posting here and on the NTSA website. The more you plug, the more they will come! Saying 'well, it was on the calendar' isnt advertising, however sending me a couple of emails about is!

tbh Zara, I can't remember how we advertised those shoots, but probably followed along the same lines as other shoots we run which are well attended.
    • Put it on our calendar.
    • Put it on the NTSA calendar.
    • Put a notice on our website at least 2 weeks in advance.
    • Put a notice here at the same time.
    • Activate the booking system.
    • Put a notice on the NTSA website at the same time.
    • Send an email to our mailing list a week beforehand.
    That's a lot of work. I mean physically a lot of work because notices have to be reformatted for the sites they go on which can take up to an hour to do on its own.

The same with formatting emails etc.

I'm not complaining, just explaining what we normally do and the effort that goes into it. As per the 2% rule it's usually the same people who get to do it all the time.

I've seen DURC do all that as well, but to be honest, it's passive (for lack of a better term). Unless someone goes and checks the website, it doesn't get to them (the email's a bit better, but still seems to miss a lot of shooters). It's a facet of the 2% problem I think - some shooters literally expect you to notify them personally of a match you want them to go to (we get the best results if we physically go up to a shooter and say "you're coming to the match on sunday" and harangue them). In defence of the newbies, mind, I spent four years shooting at a level where I could easily have gone to matches and done well, but noone ever told me there were matchs or even other clubs, let alone told me I was good enough to go to them or what was involved - it was a complete blind spot to me and if DURC hadn't co-opted me onto the committee (as match secretary, ironically enough) I'd never have known otherwise.

We're getting some good results out in WTSC with the SMS service as well, because that basicly does the same thing. Timing seems critical as well - too early and they forget, too late and they've booked something else.

On the other hand, once we actually get them there, they enjoy themselves immensely - it's just that, well, it's like they forget that they have fun at these things until you get them there :D

The diffiiculty with that approach is that you have to know the people and their phone numbers to get that kind of interaction and the problem is that we don't, not having been an airgun match club for a considerable time.

tbh Zara, I can't remember how we advertised those shoots, but probably followed along the same lines as other shoots we run which are well attended.
    • Put it on our calendar.
    • Put it on the NTSA calendar.
    • Put a notice on our website at least 2 weeks in advance.
    • Put a notice here at the same time.
    • Activate the booking system.
    • Put a notice on the NTSA website at the same time.
    • Send an email to our mailing list a week beforehand.
    That's a lot of work. I mean physically a lot of work because notices have to be reformatted for the sites they go on which can take up to an hour to do on its own.

The same with formatting emails etc.

I'm not complaining, just explaining what we normally do and the effort that goes into it. As per the 2% rule it's usually the same people who get to do it all the time.

I just remember nearly dropping dead in the AGM in UCD when you said you had put on two Air gun matches. It was the first that I had heard of them, no one in DURC knew.

For me personally, I need to get an email about a match in the week or so before it, otherwise I will forget and book something else on that day. I'm just unorganised in that manner but I doubt I'm the only one!

Saying that, I wasn't on the RRPC mailing list at the time and I haven't been getting NTSA emails (apart from your class updates) in over two years. So it may well have just been fluke that we didn't hear about it given that we normally get notice from UCD (when they are holding a match) or WTSC directly.

The diffiiculty with that approach is that you have to know the people and their phone numbers to get that kind of interaction and the problem is that we don't, not having been an airgun match club for a considerable time.
    Very true.
    I know I mentioned an idea a while ago about a national SMS notification list, it'd suffer from the problems of having to keep the list up to date and having to collate the list in the first place and so on - and while cheap, it wouldn't be free like email is - but we might give it a whirl and see if it gives any better results.
    Does anyone else think it'd be worth trying?
    Or would it just flop?

• Advertisement

I just remember nearly dropping dead in the AGM in UCD when you said you had put on two Air gun matches. It was the first that I had heard of them, no one in DURC knew.
    I know the first one we ran, it was in the NTSA airgun league that was run in 2007. They were dropped because of poor attendance anyway although the idea was to keep people shooting through the summer and our one was in July or August.
    For me personally, I need to get an email about a match in the week or so before it, otherwise I will forget and book something else on that day. I'm just unorganised in that manner but I doubt I'm the only one!
    Well you're on it now and it's a much bigger list than it was a year ago, so perhaps the next time you'll get an email.

I've also updated the NTSA list from the membership forms, so that should be more effective as well.

As I said before, I'm not complaining and I'm not giving up either. :D

Advertisement