Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Insulation Over Electrical Smoke Alarm

Options
  • 10-12-2008 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Hope someone can help, my wife and recently bought a house we are moved in about 2 months now the house is timberframe "superwarm home" its about 4 years old, I went up into the attic the other day I noticed that where the upstairs smoke alarm had been installed the electrican that fitted it took up the section of insulation to fit it and must have forgot to put it back, so I just placed the insulation back over it, was i wrong in doing this? Its earthed and the live and neutrel are joined by a conncetor going into the smoke alarm. Should I have left the insulation off it? or was it okay to cover it back up with the roll of insulation? There was another area in the ensuite bathroom where a halogen spot light had been fitted but i left the insulation off as i was worried that the bulb would overheat as it protruded a bit into the attic. Any advice on this is greatly appreciated, by any elcetricans or someone in the know.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Covering the wires to the smoke alarm is fine, I'd say the electrician just forgot to put it back.

It's normal to leave a space around the downlighters to stop them overheating (just an inch or two around them should do).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SPARTAN33

Thanks for the reply Steve C your a star, fair play to you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

No prob, glad to help.

By the way, don't replace any insulation under the water tank. That's always left open to allow heat up and stop the tank freezing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SPARTAN33

Once again thanks for the advice Steve C, yea I did notice that alright that they had wrapped the insulation aorund the tank but not underneath now I know why, thanks again

Advertisement