Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Crowley meeting Václav Klaus...

Options
  • 10-12-2008 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/90105

Is he mad or something? How could he address Mr. Klaus this way?
    He really sounds like cheeky and impertinent man.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

It's called politics, specimen. It always looks like that behind closed door.

They just smile for the medias, for good pictures. If there would be no journalists, every second meeting would end without handshake.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

WooPeeA wrote: »
    It's called politics, specimen. It always looks like that behind closed door.

They just smile for the medias, for good pictures. If there would be no journalists, every second meeting would end without handshake.

Seems only fair, given what Klaus said about Michael Martin - seems like Klaus doesn't mind playing the hard man when he's dishing it out, but comes over all huffy when it comes back at him. My heart bleeds for him.

amused,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

According to the article cited above: http://www.indymedia.ie/article/90105

Brian Crowley MEP had this to say:
    I am from Ireland and I am a member of a party in government. All his life my father fought against the British domination. Many of my relatives lost their lives. That is why I dare to say that the Irish wish for the Lisbon Treaty.

Remind me again. What was the result of the Irish Referendum :confused:??

Crowley is one of our ‘elected representatives’ :rolleyes:, Member of the European Parliament and co-president of the Union for Europe of the Nations.

Crowley has said he would like to run for the presidency of Ireland in 2011, and said ‘it would be a huge privilege to represent the people as Uachtarán na hÉireann.’

Source: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/0929/1222420014885.html

Thanks, but no thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The Raven. wrote: »
    Remind me again. What was the result of the Irish Referendum :confused:??

About 28% of the population voted no.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It will be an interesting 6 months, given that Vaclav Klaus has just quit as leader of the party created by him. There is still speculation that Libertas.cz will materialise very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

humanji wrote: »

Clever :cool:! But wait… :confused:!

If that is the case, with a 53.13% turnout, by the same token, 25.13% of the population voted YES.

I really, REALLY can’t see how that can be translated into ‘the Irish wish for the Lisbon Treaty’ :).

:pac:Isn't life strange?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

humanji wrote: »

So unlike most yes voters you would prefer everyone to vote, regardless of their comprehension?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 specimen

irish people will have another 'chance' to vote for lisbon treaty...
    this is how eu interptrets democracy

wondering what's gonna happen if Ireland rejects teraty, another poll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

We will not be fooled twice, the treaty will be ratified :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

How can you meet a person whose funding is unclear?

he actually said that? Coming from someone who's party leader was bertie "ah it was only me bleedin confo money, honest" ahern that's hilarious

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    he actually said that? Coming from someone who's party leader was bertie "ah it was only me bleedin confo money, honest" ahern that's hilarious

How fitting would it be if he turned around and said he won it on the same horse as Bertie.

specimen wrote: »
    irish people will have another 'chance' to vote for lisbon treaty...
    this is how eu interptrets democracy

wondering what's gonna happen if Ireland rejects teraty, another poll?
    Of course the will of majority in Ireland should be respected, but will of majority of EU countries should be respected too.

Did I say majority? I meant unanimity!!

Of course the will of majority in Ireland should be respected, but will of majority of EU countries should be respected too.

Did I say majority? I meant unanimity!!

Eh there was no unanimity.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Eh there was no unanimity.
    Looks like it's gonna be 26 to 1 soon.

Today it's 23 to 1 (3 will fully sign later, but all governments already accepted the Treaty).

Germany - as I know president is waiting for verdict of Constitutional Tribunal or something, but expert says it's not a problem

Poland - president said that he will wait for Irish, however law obligates him to sign it as the government is responsible for foreign policy, not president.

Czechs - the same as in Poland, president has no right to refuse international agreement ratifies by 2 chambers of parliament. They will ratify them in the beginning of 2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

We will not be fooled twice, the treaty will be ratified :cool:

lol, don't be so sure of yourself.

The european union is in big trouble. Their is massive hatred for it all over europe.

Looks like it's gonna be 26 to 1 soon.

Today it's 23 to 1 (3 will fully sign later, but all governments already accepted the Treaty).

Germany - as I know president is waiting for verdict of Constitutional Tribunal or something, but expert says it's not a problem

Poland - president said that he will wait for Irish, however law obligates him to sign it as the government is responsible for foreign policy, not president.

Czechs - the same as in Poland, president has no right to refuse international agreement ratifies by 2 chambers of parliament. They will ratify them in the beginning of 2009

So I was right 26 - 1 is not unanimous. Or do I need to look it's definition up again?

lol, don't be so sure of yourself.

The european union is in big trouble. Their is massive hatred for it all over europe.
    Statistics says something different. At beginning of 2008 58% of Europeans thought that EU is good thing for them and their countries, 13% said it's neutral. Only 29% declared EU as negative thing.

Most sceptic country is UK. It's understandable, they cannot stand that they became an average country, not a superpower like few decades ago, add their currency crisis. Their media blame EU for everything, including rainfall. There's even a corner on official EU website "Contradictions on lies in British media" where all printed lies are denied. No other country has such corner.

Most enthusiastic are.. Irish! With 82% with sympathy for EU. Next are Denmark and Poland (both with 77% support).

My source: Eurobarometr made few months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭partholon

the treaty is going down, this aint about lisbon anymoe. its about the quality of our democracy. the politicians think theyre being clever but its only going to blow up in their faces.

back on OP.

didnt know brians da flo was in the provisional IRA !

Considering the man was born in the 30's its the only way I can see him fighting the brits "all his life" , as my grandad ,who did so during the war of independance , hung up his gun years before. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I think he meant fighting the brits in that vague fianna fail, occasionaly singing a rebel song and showing up at bodenstown once a year way :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The Raven. wrote: »
    Clever :cool:! But wait… :confused:!

If that is the case, with a 53.13% turnout, by the same token, 25.13% of the population voted YES.

I really, REALLY can’t see how that can be translated into ‘the Irish wish for the Lisbon Treaty’ :).

:pac:Isn't life strange?

Nor can I. It's not what I said, nor what I implied. The Raven asked what the result was and I told him.
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    So unlike most yes voters you would prefer everyone to vote, regardless of their comprehension?

No, I'd prefer everyone to inform themselves of what the treaty entails and then vote on whether they believe it is good for the country or bad for the country. What would you have people do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Actually, in the Czech Republic, I believe there needs to be a two-thirds majority in both houses. Still, with almost every single member of both of their houses agreeing to it, that shouldn't be a problem.
    ejmaztec wrote: »
    It will be an interesting 6 months, given that Vaclav Klaus has just quit as leader of the party created by him. There is still speculation that Libertas.cz will materialise very soon.

Well, there's talk of him being impeached. The president spouting on about a different and contradictory foreign policy to the country's agreed path is grounds for treason there. Good riddance if they get him!

Advertisement