Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG Viewty - Vodafone - Google Maps/Mail Problems

• 10-12-2008 3:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I got an LG Viewty on Vodafone last week, it comes pre-installed with google maps, but it doesn't work. I've called Vodafone but they say they don't support it.
    It gets to about 1/3rd of the way through loading, then gets stuck for ages before coming up with the message "Network Failure
    Try again later. If that doesn't work, try installing a new version of this application".
    When trying to install a new version it says I'm not authorised.
    Also have similar problem with Gmail so I'm thinking its a network setting somewhere?
    If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd get onto them again and ask for some support or throw it back at them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

can you use the internet on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I'd get onto them again and ask for some support or throw it back at them..

I've been onto them a few times, they are idiots and don't know what they are talking about so no point in wasting time on them.
    They also never keep their promises about call backs from 2nd level support/manager/supervisor.

Edit: Sorry Sam Vimes, missed your post.
    Yes I can use the browser ok, Gmail and Gmaps are the only other 2 apps I have that use the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Dools2007

Bought the same phone at the weekend and have the same problem although I haven't had the time to look at it too much yet.

On a side note, have you had any issues connecting your Viewty to LG PC Suite via Bluetooth.

I can connect via USB no problem and I can pair the phone with the pc using Bluetooth but LG PC Suite will not pick up this connection.

Mr.S wrote: »

Thanks for the link, unfortunately it doesn't work as there is no Settings option at step 4.

Edit: Dools2007, no I can't get that working either :(

• Advertisement

have you tried deleating the application from the phone, and re-downloading it?

It doesn't have that option either :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

mcgovern wrote: »
    It doesn't have that option either :(

if you go to http://m.google.com/maps on the phone can you download it that way...

if you go to http://m.google.com/maps on the phone can you download it that way...

Unfortunately that also doesn't work, as Vodafone have most of the phone locked down, so I don't have authority to install google :(

I can save it to the phone alright, but when I try and install it, it says I don't have authorization.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Mervatron

my gf has had the same problem, and is getting little to no help from vf

i used to work for them and i understand their policies with regards third-party apps, but they've been pretty rude to her. plus, although she installed gmail herself, it came with maps installed so that at least should be working, and since its a vf branded phone they should have support for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dustin76

Mervatron wrote: »
    my gf has had the same problem, and is getting little to no help from vf

i used to work for them and i understand their policies with regards third-party apps, but they've been pretty rude to her. plus, although she installed gmail herself, it came with maps installed so that at least should be working, and since its a vf branded phone they should have support for it.
    hi Mervatron,
    could you send me the settings to set up gmail. on the viewty
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

I've had the same problem as the OP since I got the phone which was about a month ago. I've not bothered calling VF, and probably won't from above posters' experiences. Has anyone managed to sort this problem yet?

Also, someone mentioned un-installing and then re-instaling the app: Well, you cannot delete these apps once installed :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

on my viewty you can, seems like Vodafone has a **** custom firmware on their phones.

Is it possible to remove the VF firmware and replace it with a generic LG version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

I have the same problem with my Viewty. Vodafone firmware is very restrictive. I'm going to flash mine with the v10g firmware which is unbranded.

link is here:

http://www.mygreatphone.com/forum/modifications-hacking/10462-v10g-open-dz-format.html

Will let you know how I got on. Fingers crossed I won't end up with an LG paperweight! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MFeehan

I've been onto them a few times, they are idiots and don't know what they are talking about so no point in wasting time on them./QUOTE]

Its not that Vodafone are idiots. I'll try and explain it to your ignorant peabrain.

Vodafone are a mobile network operator. This means they operate a mobile phone NETWORK. What they do not do is manufacture phones. Any map application on any mobile phone you purchase doesn't run off any mobile phone network, it is a seperate signal being sent to and form your phone. Do you get a sim card when you purchase a TomTom, NO. Hence the reason why Vodafone, o2, and Meteor will normally redirect you, after trying their best to assist you, to the manufacturer.

Ask yourself how you would feel if a mobile operator representative fixed the problem that you were having with maps or another 3rd party app but then messed up something else on your phone??

Answer : Pissed off, and then you would probably ask why they tried to sort this out for you in the first place. BECAUSE YOU F**KING ASKED.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

: Awaits violent backlash for above post(deservedly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

MFeehan wrote: »
    I've been onto them a few times, they are idiots and don't know what they are talking about so no point in wasting time on them./QUOTE]

Its not that Vodafone are idiots. I'll try and explain it to your ignorant peabrain.

Vodafone are a mobile network operator. This means they operate a mobile phone NETWORK. What they do not do is manufacture phones. Any map application on any mobile phone you purchase doesn't run off any mobile phone network, it is a seperate signal being sent to and form your phone. Do you get a sim card when you purchase a TomTom, NO. Hence the reason why Vodafone, o2, and Meteor will normally redirect you, after trying their best to assist you, to the manufacturer.

Ask yourself how you would feel if a mobile operator representative fixed the problem that you were having with maps or another 3rd party app but then messed up something else on your phone??

Answer : Pissed off, and then you would probably ask why they tried to sort this out for you in the first place. BECAUSE YOU F**KING ASKED.

ahem. oh how to respond so such a well articulated post.....

firstly, you should note that there is no internal GPS in the viewty. To use Google maps for example, you require a data connection provided by one of the mobile phone NETWORKS you mentioned in your colourful post.

These applications have been tried and tested with viewty and have been deemed compatible. The reason that there is a problem is that vodafone had the firmware of the phone designed in such a way so as to prevent full customisation of data connections and other restriction. Vodafone specifically requested these alterations to the manufactures generic firmware. If the phone has generic firmware then the data connection settings can be altered. In other words, if Vodafone did not request that the firmware be altered then people like me and other posters here would not be having this problem.

Now, is there any possibility that the cause of this issue be laid at anyone else's feet other than Vodafone???

By the way, a little bit of advice... don't look for a career in customer service with such good manners and a helpful attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mcgrailg

Hiya i was having the same problem trying to get the maps to open, someone on the google forum gave me this advice and it worked a treat

go to your browser settings and copy all the info ( connection mode, ip adress, etc ). then go to phone settings -> connectivity -> java settings, add new and fill in all the info that you took down earlier and save. now just activate this and you should be able to use google maps.

Google maps uses the network, it doesn't have pre-loaded maps and downloads them as you move

And you're about to get banned for using the term "ignorant peabrain". A term which is ironic because you're the one who doesn't know what you're talking about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ok, firstly, please don't post in such an aggressive manner and don't abuse people. You won't last long around here.

Secondly, because this post is from January, I can't really take any action on it now. Any questions/clarifications needed, please PM me directly, let's keep the thread on topic.

• Advertisement

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Secondly, because this post is from January, I can't really take any action on it now

Didn't notice that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

mcgrailg wrote: »
    Hiya i was having the same problem trying to get the maps to open, someone on the google forum gave me this advice and it worked a treat

go to your browser settings and copy all the info ( connection mode, ip adress, etc ). then go to phone settings -> connectivity -> java settings, add new and fill in all the info that you took down earlier and save. now just activate this and you should be able to use google maps.

Cheers, that worked for me - there was a digit wrong in my Java IP address, seems to be working now!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mcgrailg

No problem its good to finally have it working !

Advertisement