Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How long will my Nct Cert Last?

Options
  • 10-12-2008 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I imported a 1999 Golf Gti a few weeks ago and have it registered and taxed. I believe that it's now also due an NCT so if I get it NCTd in the next couple of weeks will the disk expire in January 2009 and then have to take another test in January 2009 or can I wait until January 2009 and get it NCTd for 2 years i.e

Registration Date Jan 1999 First NCT due Jan 2003,then Jan 2005,Jan 2007 & Jan 2009.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭phoebe!

I think it should last the 2 years. it wont have to be done again till jan 2011!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,997 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its less than the three months before, it should last to Jan 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Its done on the birthday of the car supposedly- so getting it done now, you could be stung.

actually you might be alright - from the NCT site "Test Certificates will be valid for up to 2 years (from the date the test is due to the registration anniversary date two years later). "

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

MYOB is correct, you can have the car tested up to three months before the expiry and the new cert will be valid for 2 years after the expiry date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Good stuff thanks. It was only MOTd in April in the UK so should be ok (hopefully)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

On thinking about this, the 3 month rule is definitely there but I'm not 100% sure if it applies to the first test of an import. Either way, I'd ring them to be sure.

Also, and I'm sure you're aware of this, it's usually better to test the car and see what (if anything) it fails on rather than getting lots of work done beforehand that may not be necessary.

SteveC wrote: »
    On thinking about this, the 3 month rule is definitely there but I'm not 100% sure if it applies to the first test of an import. Either way, I'd ring them to be sure.

Also, and I'm sure you're aware of this, it's usually better to test the car and see what (if anything) it fails on rather than getting lots of work done beforehand that may not be necessary.

Ya will give them a call to clariffy.

I would normally send car in firstly as you just stated but check all basic things are ok (Bulbs,oil,tyres etc)

Thanks

Update:

I called the NCT call centre and they told me that the car is due its first NCT on 5th January 2009.

Advertisement