Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wifi charges on an iphone

• 10-12-2008 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

just wondering can any one help me?

i got an iphone(not a 3g) last year, it was bought off ebay and unlocked as to use on any network. over the past few months i seem to be getting raped on data charges from my network provider. i only ever use safari or mail on the phone when i am at home so i can connect to the eircom wifi or when in college by which i can connect to the college wifi, all which are free of charge.

but on my past few bills ive been charged extra for data charges, how can this be that o2 are thinking im using there network for internet access?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

even tho u activate wifi on ur phone...is it possible that whatever way the settings are, that ur phone is using the network instead, even tho wifi is available?

do u not have a data add on anyway? 10 quid would cover all ur surfing...

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

i got an iphone(not a 3g) last year, it was bought off ebay and unlocked as to use on any network. over the past few months i seem to be getting raped on data charges from my network provider. i only ever use safari or mail on the phone when i am at home so i can connect to the eircom wifi or when in college by which i can connect to the college wifi, all which are free of charge.

but on my past few bills ive been charged extra for data charges, how can this be that o2 are thinking im using there network for internet access?

Put it on airplane mode when using wifi. That way the signal will not be sent to O2. You should sign up to a data package though or you will pay top price for data downloads.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭budweiserfrogie

Here is what i posted a couple of months ago on a similar topic about how to keep data costs low.
    This may be of help to you and i'll also include a link to the topic.

I too am with o2. I use a windows mobile. I have their basic data tarif.
    It costs €7.50 per month for 250mb, this covers all my email and browsing on my fone.
    Last month i had to use it for a few days as a modem on my desktop pc when my eircom modem packed in.
    Even after a few days lite use i still only used just over half my 250mb allowance in total for the month.
    Also available is 1GB(1000mb) for €15.
    And 10GB for €30.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055395972

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

What are your Wifi access points settings? Encryption type, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Diggabot

Airplane mode turns off the Wi-Fi as well. The iPhone will sometimes default to the strongest available data signal, so you might be connected to wi-Fi but if the signal is weak it'll will switch over to 3G/EDGE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭The Gambler 101

What are your Wifi access points settings? Encryption type, etc?

thanks for all the replies,

i dont know what the wifi access points settings are, sorry.

all i know is that when i go to check emails whether i be at home or in college, i always make sure i connect to the one i know, im not gettin charged all the time though, on a certain date i was at home connected to my eircom wifi and can clearly remember and i was jus messing on the net and got a serious download charge!

absolutely love the phone, but not when im afraid to check emails or check something online with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Diggabot wrote: »
    Airplane mode turns off the Wi-Fi as well. The iPhone will sometimes default to the strongest available data signal, so you might be connected to wi-Fi but if the signal is weak it'll will switch over to 3G/EDGE.

airplane mode does switch off wifi, but just simply switch it back on...

u really shouldnt have to turn on airplane mode everytime u want to hook up to the net via wifi tho..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

I dont think the iphone uses the cellular network once it is connected to wifi, once connected to wifi it will only use that for data access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Mrspinkbunny

This is what is happening to me when I`m in a wifi place selecting through setting and its still going straight to the money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Change the Data Network settings to jibberish and you won't be able to access the EDGE / 3G data network.

(Settings -> General -> Network -> Cellular Data Network)

Just take down the APN and replace it with something made up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭P&L

Got herself a prepay jobbie for Xmas and was pretty disgusted with the fact it doesn't ask for confirmation or at least warn you when downloading data from a cellular network.

Anyway, found this site, and used it to create two configs. One to switch on cellular data access and one to switch it off.

Email them both to your iPhone
    install the 'fake' one to switch off
    install the 'o2mobile' one to switch it back on

Note that this is the settings for O2 speakeasy customers only, other contracts would probably need to use the site linked above.
    This is not a hack as Apple has released the information on how to change the APN publicly in exactly this method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Handy tip.

I think unless you've unlimited data/text/calls you've got to very aware of how you use any of them.

Advertisement