Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour of Father Ted's House??

• 10-12-2008 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I'm planning a trip to the west in January and one of the ports of call on my list is a visit to see Father Ted's house near Killinaboy in Clare. A friend told me that his sister had visited the area and saw posters advertising the house which gave a number to ring to arrange a tour of the house. Anyone know if this true? Should anyone happen to know the number could you please send it my way (in a private message of course). Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

The interior though isnt the same on the show though, you would be better off running up to the house, take a photo and peg off again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Hawk Wing

They only use the outside of the house for the programme, the inside was shot in a studio in London! You can take photos of the house from the gate no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Ultramegabones

Ah right. Thanks guys! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

I'm pretty sure they were opening up the house to visitors during the summer, I saw an advert in a shop in ballyvaughan or kilfenora earlier this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭opelmanta

Yes they were definitely open during the summer. The family take you in (for a small fee)and you get tea and cake :D Its supposed to be very nice and the family are full of cool information:D :D. Im not sure if it was just for the summer or if its all year round. Iou should contact the Kilfenora or Ennis tourist office to find out more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I think the owners of the house had to bite the bullet and acknowlege it was a tourist attraction eventually. Loads of idiot yanks were always knocking on the door asking if they could come in.

I don't see the point really. The interior is just a normal house. My brothers wife is Singaporean though and she's an absolutely die hard fan. I even showed her the Dunnes Stores in Ennis where they shot the infamous lost in the underwear department Christmas special. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭midgetflynn

^should have brought her to the Ennistymon Community Hall,where they shot they All Priests over 75 5-a-side indoor soccer tournament!I did some PE classes there.then you could have shown her the Falls,the scene for My Lovely Horse dream sequence.(hmmm,maybe I'll set up my own Father Ted tour...!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Ted Fest is on in February or there abouts isn't it? I'd say there'll be a good run on tours during that time. They had it on one of the aran islands initially but I heard last year they were having festivals in loads of places around Clare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I brought a foreign girlfriend to see it few years ago, she was a huge fan of the show. We pulled up at the gate and got out to take some pics. What happened next was unbelievable and i swear is true.....
    The front door of the house was open and as soon as we got out of the car a dog, a cat and a goat came out and all ran down to the gate to say hello.
    Neither of us could believe what we were seeing and it went a long way in reinforcing her belief that life in ireland mirrored the show.
    I have a pic somewhere i will try and dig it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭midgetflynn

ya,they had Ted Fest on Aran Island and Kilfenora this year I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Chuileog wrote: »
    I brought a foreign girlfriend to see it few years ago, she was a huge fan of the show. We pulled up at the gate and got out to take some pics. What happened next was unbelievable and i swear is true.....
    The front door of the house was open and as soon as we got out of the car a dog, a cat and a goat came out and all ran down to the gate to say hello.
    Neither of us could believe what we were seeing and it went a long way in reinforcing her belief that life in ireland mirrored the show.
    I have a pic somewhere i will try and dig it out.

haha, hilarious! Please dig it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Vaughan's Pub in Kilfenora (scene of rotten veg throwing in the episode with the Chinese people) is a good spot to stop for a pint on your tour as well. It's about a 15-20 minute drive from Kilnaboy. Kilfenora is also where the
    "Speed 3" episode was shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭opelmanta

Another great place for a stop is fanore caravan park. This is where the caravan episode with graham norton was shot. i also think the church in fanore was used in some episides aswel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Pity they knocked down the old pool, you could have re-inacted the pool scene ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

I've actually been in there, And worn Bishop Brennans hat :P

tbh, It's quite a small house in the interior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lartigue89

How much would the house be worth to buy. Imagine buying it and re designing the inside it to look as close as possible to the fr ted house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

The day I visited the place the owner was out lashing golfballs from one side of the garden to the other and he had his dogs chasing after the balls and bring them back to him, kinda surreal, a bit like the show really.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

ZnDTP.jpg

Just a picture it ook on my phone when i went past. they have a black jar with TIPs written accross it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

mjquinno wrote: »
    Just a picture it ook on my phone when i went past. they have a black jar with TIPs written accross it...

That is pretty ridiculous that they are looking for tips. Its not like the producers of Fr. Ted filmed at the house when the family were on holidays or nipping down to the shop for milk, of course they paid the family to film there. If you are going to use your house for a TV series then be prepared to fans of the show to start coming to see the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 shelly1234

D-Generate wrote: »
    That is pretty ridiculous that they are looking for tips. Its not like the producers of Fr. Ted filmed at the house when the family were on holidays or nipping down to the shop for milk, of course they paid the family to film there. If you are going to use your house for a TV series then be prepared to fans of the show to start coming to see the house.

They dont look for tips its just cheryl the lady of the house invites people in for tea and cake and some people like to show their appreciation, mainly americans so it saves her the hassle of refusing :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Doing this tour tomorrow - any advice?
    So far - fanore, the house in killinaboy and kilfenora for the community centre...
    Are they hard to find from the villages? Ijust marked the villages on the GPS and going to see if we can find them...
    Any other places to see? Maybe the caves? lol - cant wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

D-Generate wrote: »

Cowboys Ted!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭Pebbles82

Make sure to book in advance for Fr Teds. but photos at the gate are the best and you dont have to bother the family who live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭promises

We recently visited the house for afternoon tea. We were charged ten euro a head for a cup of tea and a couple of scones. The room was over crowded. We all could not help but feel uncomfortable as if we were intruding on a family home. If ur a fr Ted fan d house is def worth a visit but just take pictures from d rd dont bodder goin inside as none of the series was filmed inside d house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭maximoose

I did this a few months ago... Stayed in Ennis and went to see the House, the Caves (Alwee I think they are called?), The Burren (picnic spot), had a great oul weekend :) Didnt bother going into the actual house as we thought it would be a bit awkward...

I stayed in the Auburn Lodge Hotel, got 2 nights B+B plus an evening meal for 90e for the two of us, cannot beat that and it was pretty nice too. Was around 20 min drive to Kilnaboy, you'll def need a car for it.

It took us a while to find the house, we got directions that said "turn right at the post office", not realising the post office is just the house with a green van outside it. If you're coming from Ennis direction, you'll see the sign for Kilnaboy and take the first right after that. Then its a straight drive for around 10 mins on very narrow roads, beware of the tractors!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok old thread I know but heading South West and then up to Doolin from Dingle and looking at stopping off at the house. Google maps states its permanently closed this correct. Tried ringing the owner few times to get the tea and cakes and no joy
    Anyone know if they still do this and coming from Killimer Ferry so any tips appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazyguy01

Ok old thread I know but heading South West and then up to Doolin from Dingle and looking at stopping off at the house. Google maps states its permanently closed this correct. Tried ringing the owner few times to get the tea and cakes and no joy Anyone know if they still do this and coming from Killimer Ferry so any tips appreciated

Was passing it last week..also got closed permanently on Maps. Stopped outside for the photo and no indication of it open or opening soon, just a sign on the gate " private property/ no entry " or words to that effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Website says it's open.
    http://www.fathertedshouse.com/

• Advertisement
Advertisement