Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back on track ....

Options
  • 10-12-2008 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭

Hey Everyone,

I've improved a fair bit fitness wise in the last year since starting sessions Transform, but since Sept I've kind of gone off track, so decided to start one of these for motivation! Usually I'd be heading back to him for a new program by now but the one I got in Septs still pretty tough going, which is prob down to my lack of discipline the last few months!

I started college again there in Sept after a 2 year break, and I'm also working 12 hour night shifts, so I 've found it hard to get back into a routine. I've been getting back on top of it the last few weeks though, and hoping this thread will motivate me a bit more :)

In July last year my stats were:

Body fat % 23.2% Triceps 14mm, Hips 29mm, Thighs 16mm, Subscap 18mm

And at my review in Sept they were:

Body Fat 16.9% Triceps 9mm, Hips 16mm, Thighs 13mm , Subscap 16mm

I'd like to get my BF down to 15% in the next few weeks and hopefully my subscap will come down too. I did have my BF at 16.1 at one stage from what I remember, so 15% should be do-able with a bit more effort. I'm also aware that those stats might have gone up since Sept, but hoping they haven't!

I'm a veggie so I used to eat a hell of alot of carbs, but I've cut down a fair bit now. I don't eat bread, and only eat pasta once in a blue moon if out for a meal or something, I used to eat it every day thinking it was 'healthy' :o

I'm going to put up a post now with my diet/training to far this week to start things off..and hopefully I'll keep this updated!

Thanks for reading :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention Im a 22 year old female and 5' 10'.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Monday:

Weights Session:

Triple Set x 4

Lunges 8kg x 20 (these are meant to be step ups but the step in the gym is too low and the bench isn't very stable to step up on, so I've changed to lunges)
    Press Ups x 6 (I'm terrible at these, I really can't do more than 6!!)
    Plank with twist x 10 (each leg)

Triple Set x 4

Swiss Ball Leg Curl x 20 (working on doing this with one leg at a time but its half and half at the moment)
    Seated Rows x 12
    Reverse Curls x 20

Triple Set x 4:
    Lateral Raises: 6kg
    Dips x 20
    Side Bends: 10kg x 15 each side (my technique really needs to improve on these)

Double Set x4:
    Russian Twist 7kg x 12
    Weighted Crunch 6kg x 20

Diet:

7.30 - Porridge with soya milk
    11am - Apple
    2pm - 4 Oatcakes with almond butter
    5pm - Banana (straight after gym)
    6.30pm - Sweet Potato and Veg (broccoli,brussel sprouts, sweetcorn)
    9pm - Grapes

Tuesday:

8k run - 56mins

Diet:

7.30 - Porridge
    11.30 - Mixed Nuts
    1pm - Bean Salad -kidney,canelli beans, mixed leaves/lettuce and cous cous
    5.30 - Packet of dried strawberry pieces (not great I know)
    7pm - Sweet Potato and Roasted Veg
    10pm - 2 Ryvita and hoummous (bad idea that late but I was hungry....)

No diet coke in four days - I'm weaning myself off it again- arrgghh!!! :P
    I'm also taking a multi vit and Omega 3.

Be back tomorrow!!!:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

G86 wrote: »
    Hey Everyone,

.... only eat pasta once in a blue moon if out for a meal or something, I used to eat it every day thinking it was 'healthy' :o

It's not?? :( Seems everything I eat is bad. This is damn hard. I love carbs!
    Best of luck with your training.

dory wrote: »
    It's not?? :( Seems everything I eat is bad. This is damn hard. I love carbs!
    Best of luck with your training.

Ah hey I just mean I'm not meant to eat many carbs because of where I carry weight , some people can tolerate them better, maybe you can :)

x4

Lunges 8kg x 20 (these are meant to be step ups but the step in the gym is too low and the bench isn't very stable to step up on, so I've changed to lunges)
    Press Ups x 10
    Plank with twist x 20

Swiss Ball Leg Curl x 20 - both legs
    Reverse Curls x 20

x 4:

Lateral Raises: 6kg x 15, had to go down to 5kg for last set
    Dips x 20
    Side Bends: 10kg x 5 - my form was terrible I just can't do these - so got fed up and switched to deadlift instead with 2 12kg dumbbells x 15

x4:

Russian Twist 7kg x 12
    Weighted Crunch 6kg x 20

Had to skip the seated row today as it was always being used when I came round to use it and I didn't want to interrupt my set waiting, going to have to try find a substitute for it with free weights for when that happens

Friday:

30 min treadmill

10 min steady at 10kph then 20 min intervals - alternating btw 10kph for 2 mins then 13kph for 2 mins

Sat: off

• Advertisement

argghh throat and chest infection so out of action for a week or so :( I went in for a run Sunday but only got through 2k, was feeling rotten, so just going to wait it out til I'm better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Use one arm row/bent over lateral raises/band pulls as substitute for seated row when in use

You were not taking your supplements for a while!!!!

Take 2-3g fish oils a day and get more protein in at dinner time - beans, lentils, nuts in salads, meat substitute etc

Stay off the coke completely - more water water water

I will mail you a different program just to give some variety so rotate off the program you have and the new one. Keep up the weights

Haven't posted in a while, went home for Christmas and came back this week to 4 12hr night shifts :( So I've done feck all in all honesty. Went for a run today but only did 4k (25mins). Went on the bike then on intervals for ten mins, waas well wrecked after it. I knew if I did weights today I'd be seriously sore tomorrow and not want to hit the gym again so I'm doing them tomorrow instead.

I'm finding it really hard to find the time the last while and its really bugging me. I work nights at weekends and have rake of college work during the week and finding it really hard to slot in gym time. I bought a pair of jeans this time last year and was so happy with myself that they fitted, but tried them on recently and they're definitely getting tight, so I need to buck up and get into some kind of routine before I end up back to where I started.

Off the diet coke now at least though - yay!

Didn't get in on Monday but heres todays workout

x4

Press Ups x 12 (getting easier now, yay!)
    Plank with twist x 20

One Arm Rows 8kgx20 8kgx20 10kg x20
    Reverse Curls x 20

x 4:

Lateral Raises: 5kgx15
    Dips x 20
    (Meant to do side bends too in this set but seriously I just cannot get this exercise right!)

x4:

Russian Twist 7kg x 12
    Weighted Crunch 4kg x 20 (my form isn't great with these so lowered the weight to try and get it right)

I was pure wrecked after that today, think I took to much of a break over Christmas!

• Advertisement

I've done feck all since last Wed, had college work to get done and then work fri and sat night, just couldn't find the time. I really need to sort out my time management skills....

Got back from work this morn so was sleeping most of the day, went for a run outside with my housemate this evening but only did 2.5 miles - AND it killed me:o That said, it was fairly hilly, the treadmills so much easier!

Its so odd though, one day in the gym I could be feeling all energetic and get to 8k and the next I only manage 4 or 5k, not sure why:confused:

Weights tomorrow :)

Today:

x4

Lunges 8kg x 20
    Press Ups x 12
    Plank with twist x 20

One Arm Rows 9kgx20 9kgx20 10kg x20 (I really like this exercise)
    Reverse Curls x 20

x 4:

Lateral Raises: 5kgx15
    Dips x 20

x4:

Russian Twist 7kg x 12
    Crunches x 20

Heading for a run outside with my housemate tomorrow..we're going for 5 miles...so I'll see how thats goes:o

Hey Guys

Well as you can see...I kind of went off track again the past few months. College and work basically took over my life so didn't get to the gym half as much and unfortunately I'm definitely feeling the difference! I've started back now though and my main goal at the moment is to get back into a proper routine. I got a new program 2 months ago but I've been finishing my thesis and only in the gym about twice a week max when I should be in 5 days a week!

BUT the thesis is done now! So I've plenty of free time on my hands again and I've no excuse not to get back into things! I almost lectured a girl on work for doing this shakes diet thing until I realised I'm in no position to say anything to her until I do something about my own fitness! According to my last review I haven't put on a vast amount of weight, but I definitely feel pretty sluggish and if I shifted even about a stone or at least got my body fat down about 2 per cent I'd be feeling alot happier with myself!

My stats as of 25th June were:
    16.9% Subscap 12mm, Triceps 10mm, Hips 15mm, Thighs 15mm at 75.3kg
    I'm 5'10'

I'm pretty sure they won't have changed much since as my diets been pretty good but I haven't been in the gym enough to make a difference. I should have had another review by now but between college and being broke it got put to the wayside. So going to stick with this for the next 2 weeks and then go out for a new program.

My plan from here on in is to review every 6 weeks after that and head to the group sessions that Transform does in between. I've only ever really been able to afford a session/review every few weeks but by doing the group sessions also now I'm hoping it'll keep me more motivated.

Ideally I'd like my body fat under 16% and my subscap definitely needs to come down - I've the most difficulty with that. I'm also not too happy with my arms, I think they looked alot leaner in the past. My diets fairly decent,could be better but my main vice is diet coke and it's on the way out.

I'm going to post here every freaking day now and I'm hoping it'll help get me back into the swing of things :) I'll put up another post with my work out from last night.

Monday 31st Aug

Step Lunges x 6kg x 20
    Band Pulls x 20
    Reverse Curls x 20

x4

Deadlift x 30kg
    Press Ups x 5
    Plank with Twist x 15

x4

Triceps push down (with band) x 20
    Bicep Curls x 7kg x 12
    Kettleball Swings x 10kg x 15

x4

The last set of kettleball swings honestly nearly killed me, I hate those things with a passion! I nearly didn't finish the set, but I did! Go me! :)

My form is pretty bad with press ups, I can feel my back arching and although I'm trying to correct it I know it's still not right. And yes, I can only do 5 - I know..it's shameful!

Cardio tomorrow.

2nd Sept:

Cardio:

Half hour crosstrainer.

I was short on time today so I did intervals over half an hour. I nearly didn't go but figured half hour was better than nothing! .

Did nothing yesterday as was up half the night making last minute changes to my thesis! It's done and in process of being bound now though - yay!!!!:D Hit the gym early this morn since I'm off work, was a bit strange working out in the day, so used to going in the evenings!

Step Lunges x 6kg x 20
    Band Pulls x 20
    Reverse Curls x 20

x4

Deadlift x 30kg
    Press Ups x 5
    Plank with Twist x 15

x4

Bicep Curls x 7kg x 12

x4

+ 20 mins intervals on cross trainer

I was a bit slow between the sets today, took me a bit longer than normal cause I've a bit of a head cold on me. Also had breakfast beforehand..and that wasn't such a good idea!!!:rolleyes:

Sept 7th

Cardio
    45 min cross trainer

Sept 8th

I've found the morning definitely works better if I don't eat anything beforehand - I don't know if that's a good or bad idea though...

Step Lunges x 6kg x 20
    Band Pulls x 20
    Reverse Curls x 20

x2

Deadlift x 30kg
    Press Ups x 5
    Plank with Twist x 15

x2

Bicep Curls x 7kg x 12

x2

30 mins cross trainer - intervals

Had a review last week and the thesis late nights and too many carbs have definitely taken their toll, body fats up nearly 2% and weights up too.

Body Fat Sept 15th–18.3%
    Subscap 12mm, Triceps 11mm, Hips 18mm, Thighs 15mm at 77.3k

Aiming to be back down to 17% at least in the next 6 weeks. I'm not going to focus on the weight too much 'cause it should come down a bit with the BF. I've cut back the carbs again now too so I'll see how I go.

Todays session:

Walking lunges 15 x 7kg
    Barbell press 10 x 5kg

x4

SLDL 10 x 25kg
    (going to up this to 35kg next time, wasn't too difficult)

Press ups x 6

x4

Incline biceps curls 10 x 7kg
    Triceps kickbacks 15 x 5kg
    Decline Curls x 20

x4

+ 10 mins intervals on the crosstrainer.

I'm meant to be doing inverted rows instead of the press ups but I can't find anywhere to do them in the gym as the power rack has a kind of metal stand behind it so I can't lie under properly. I'm still pretty bad at the press ups but I'm not sure what I can use to improve them instead of the rows, going to find out for the next session.

Pretty happy with myself today, I was pure shaking when I finished and it felt great - I think the bf going up has spurred me on a bit.

Today: cardio session

30 mins intervals on cross trainer

I nearly didn't go today as I'm in serious pain from yesterdays session, but I did and I went flat out with the intervals, I'm wrecked now. I got home an hour ago and I haven't moved since! Last few workouts have been leaving me pretty tired but hoping that won't last long.

• Advertisement

23rd Sept:

Walking Lunges 7kgx10

Barbell Press 5kgx10

x4

SLDL 25kgx10

Press Ups x 6

x4

Bicep Curls 7kgx10

Tricep Kickbacks 5kg x 10

Decline Curls x 15

x4

Intervals 10 mins cross trainer

25th Sept

Cardio - Intervals Cross trainer 30 mins

Today 26th Sept

Step Ups 7kg x 16

One Arm Row 12kgx8

x4

Incline Bench Press 10kgx6

Hip Lifts

x4
    Tabata Double Crunches for 20 secs on, 10 secs rest, 8 rounds
    (I'm not very good at crunches, my neck gets really stiff when doing them so I'm not raising it very high as a result, but hopefully will improve!)

Lateral Raises 4kg x 10 (find these quite difficult even though it's such a low weight)
    x4

I couldn't find the machine for back extensions in the gym so had to give it a miss.

Intervals 10 mins crosstrainer

Today:

Walking lunges 15 x 7kg
    Barbell press 10 x 12kg (2 6kg dumbells)

x4

SLDL 10 x 30kg
    Press ups x 6

x4

Incline biceps curls 10 x 7kg
    Triceps kickbacks 15 x 5kg
    Decline Curls x 20

x4

Also 10 mins intervals on the crosstrainer.

Today: 30 mins intervals crosstrainer.

Gym was pretty packed this evening so had to mix it up a bit and swap some exercises to make sure I wasn't just standing around.

Step Ups 7kg x 16
    One Arm Row 12kgx10

x4

Deadlift 35kg x 10
    Hip Lifts

x4
    Tabata Double Crunches for 20 secs on, 10 secs rest, 8 rounds

Incline Bench Press 8kg x 6
    Lateral Raises 4kg x 10

x3

I couldn't do the last set x4 - my arms were dead, I think it might be because I had to switch the incline bench press to the last set cause the benchs were in use when I was meant to do it in an earlier set.

10 mins intervals bike, had no mp3 player with me and just couldn't face the crosstrainer! Not a bad session, but just annoying when the place is so packed.

today: 30 mins intervals crosstrainer

I asked a trainer in the gm about the back extensions today and apparantly they don't have the equipment for it, seems a bit odd that they wouldn't!

There was a pilates class on when I finished my weights today so decided to try it out, turns out I'm not as inflexible as I thought! Think I'll head to it Wed too.

Walking Lunges 8kgx10

Barbell Press 6kgx10

x4

SLDL 35kgx10

x4

Bicep Curls 8kgx10

Tricep Kickbacks 6kg x 10

Decline Curls x 15

x4

+1 hour pilates and 10 min intervals cross trainer

everything is looking great with your training so keep it up and will contact you for next session.

Great work and keep up the veg intake!

Cheers Dom,that'd be great, did nothing last night as it was my results night so had some friends around for dinner - I got a 2:1 :D

I'll post up tonights session later

Took my friend into the gym today on a guest pass I'm trying to get her into weights, so I just ran her through my routine and she did really well! Plus the competition wasn't lost on me lol, got my one arm row up to 14kg :p

Step Ups 8kg x 16
    One Arm Row 14kgx10

x4

Deadlift 35kg x 10
    Hip Lifts

x4
    Decline Curls for 20 secs on, 10 secs rest, 8 rounds

Incline Bench Press 8kg x 8
    Lateral Raises 4kg x 10

x3

+10 min interval crosstrainer, we were mean to do pilates too but the class was cancelled.

• Advertisement

Last night: 30 mins cross trainer intervals

Advertisement