Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back on track ....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Ah cool, was it a group session or something? Sorry can't really remember, it's a while since I've been out there.
    Yeah the internet thing was cringeworthy alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭1ceman

No I think you were doing a metcon with KB swings and some stuff and I was doing something different, checkup session or something like that...

Think it was December... Am pretty sure it was you anyways :D

Stupid tonsilitus is back and no real appetite, so no point posting up my diet for now. Hopefully be on form for the gym on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Are you in WW Leop G86?

Sangre wrote: »
    Are you in WW Leop G86?

Nope, RAW, why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Oh, I just noticed 1ceman's DL vid was in WW Leop and I thought he was in your gym from the above posts. Nevermind!

First day back in well over a week, still not 100% but was a good enough session.

Deadlift
    60kgx5
    70kgx5
    75kgx5
    80kgx5
    90kgx3

Could have gone for the other 2 reps on the 90 but I could feel my form going haywire so thought it best to leave it. I'm going to test my 1RM again soon, I've a nasty feeling I won't hit 110 again.

Inverted Rows (elevated) 5x5
    -first time doing these elevated, was a fair bit harder than the way I usually do them.

Push Press 25kgx5
    Wall Balls 7kgx10
    x5

KTE's 5x5
    Weighted Crunches 10kgx10x3

ow, ow ,ow OWWWW!!!!!! I think I've just taken the delayed part out of DOMS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

G86 wrote: »
    ow, ow ,ow OWWWW!!!!!! I think I've just taken the delayed part out of DOMS.

Fastum.jpeg

Fastum.jpeg

I need a crate.

• Advertisement

16kg KB swings x 20
    500m run
    x5

Time: 18:13

Then some foam rolling and stretching, pain....serious pain.

Squats
    30kgx5
    30kgx5
    35kgx5
    35kgx5
    40kgx5

20kgx10
    20kgx10

Not happy with the huge gap between my squat and DL. My back squat 1rm was 55kg a few months ago but I'd lucky to hit 50kg now, so that means my DL is more than twice the weight of my squat. Tried to work on my depth today, been watching a few vids and I'm pretty sure I haven't been going low enough, been just about hitting parallel once I have weight on the bar. Went deeper on them today but felt very unsteady. I think I need to keep the weight low for the next while to work on them.

One Arm Rows x10
    Tricep Dips (elevated)x10
    x5

Happy with the tricep dips, I used to bend my legs a bit but managed to keep them straight for every set, think I'll add weight to this next time.

Neg Chins
    BW+5Kg x 3
    BWx5
    BWX3

First time I tried them weighted but it just wasn't happening,I got a cramp in my foot which lasted about 15 mins and fecked up my whole set. I keep getting this really bad cramp in the arch of my foot, it's annoying as hell. Kudos to Cardio for acquainting me with the weights belt though :)
    I think maybe the rows and dips beforehand hindered me too though, going to give it a shot again at the start of a session.

Side Bends x 20kgx10
    Weighted Crunches x 10kgx10
    x3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Lazyitis

You going to the oly lifting class in crossfit on Sat?

Lazyitis wrote: »
    You going to the oly lifting class in crossfit on Sat?

No I'd already arranged some Oly coaching before it came up, starting this weekend though so I'll definitely be bringing them into my program from next week onwards! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Lazyitis

No I'd already arranged some Oly coaching before it came up, starting this weekend though so I'll definitely be bringing them into my program from next week onwards! :)

Fair play, been trying to practice some by myself, but definitely need to be shown the stuff properly.

Met G'em in Hercs today for some coaching on the Oly lifts, the woman is an absolute legend :)

We went through OH Squats, Front Squats and Powercleans. I've been having bother with OH Squats for a while, I thought it was my flexibility but it seems my flexibility is good, it's just my lats that are tight. But after today I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere with it. I mean before I couldn't even get into a squat with the bar over my head,and now I can...so it's just a matter of getting back up! :)

I knew I hadn't been going low enough on my front squats and today proved it for me. I was told in the past that my back was rounding on squats, so since then I had this idea that I had to seriously stick my ass out the whole way down, and I was barely getting to parallel. But it turns out my back hasn't been rounding at all. I went pretty low with them today and the weight felt alot heavier; I did a few sets of 40kgx3, failed after 2 in one of them but I know it was more a mind thing and nailed it the next set. Went for 45kg x 3 but only got a rep, actually not sure if it was 43kg or 45kg now that I think on it.

So, lesson learned, I need to focus on getting deeper and working my weight up from where it is now; no point squatting 50kg and only going halfways down!

Powercleans = Frustration!! A fair whack of my attempts turned into reverse curls, it's hard to forget about using your arms when you're so used to it. G'em has the patience of a saint though and I left with a far better grasp of them that I had this morning! These are going to be a tough one, but I'm just going to work and them and I know I'll get there

So, the idea is to work on OH Squats and Powercleans on my metcon/cardio based days and switch back to front squats on my strength days for a while and see how I go.

I learned so much today, I'm totally buzzing from it, I can't wait to start practising!:D

:D:DThis day shall be forever known as the day I finally nailed the OH Squat! :D:D

Powercleans Practice (empty oly bar, starting off from knees)
    20kgx5x5

OH Squat Practice
    'Attempts' with Oly Bar - about a gazillion, ok no, about 10
    THEN....
    20kgx1 rep x 3
    20kgx2 reps x 2 :)
    Got a bit of encouragement from a guy beside me who was struggling with them himself, nothing like someone watching you to give you a kick up the arse!

Crossfit Nicole
    400m run
    Inv Rows - many reps as poss(20,20,20,10,10: Total - 80)
    x5
    Time: 12:46

Stretching/Foam Rolling

500m run
    500m row
    x4
    Time: 21:40

Was a decent enough workout, was pretty wrecked by the end of it anyway.
    Wanted to deadlift today but 1. The track was busy and wasn't much room and 2. had a splitting headache and just wanted to go home - but decided some cardio was better than nothing!

Powercleans Practice (from knees)
    20kgx5x5

Then took a whack at Freddies Revenge - thought it didn't look toooo bad ....ha, I should have known better:pac: Was a bit over-optimistic with my starting weight and had to lower it for the second set which slowed me down a bit.

5 Push presses x 30kgx25kgx25kgx25kgx25kg
    10 Burpees
    x5
    Time: 9:15

Thought my time wasn't too bad, til I saw Hanleys:o Had to break up the last 2 sets of push presses, and to think I used to like them... til today.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭MissMotivated

Hi G86 hope you don't mind me asking do you take any vitaimins / supplements or whey protein etc?? Just wondering is it worth taking these

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Powercleans Practice (from knees)
    20kgx5x5

Then took a whack at Freddies Revenge - thought it didn't look toooo bad ....ha, I should have known better:pac: Was a bit over-optimistic with my starting weight and had to lower it for the second set which slowed me down a bit.

5 Push presses x 30kgx25kgx25kgx25kgx25kg
    10 Burpees
    x5
    Time: 9:15

Thought my time wasn't too bad, til I saw Hanleys:o Had to break up the last 2 sets of push presses, and to think I used to like them... til today.

It's crazy how hard the second round of push pressing is eh? Literally NOTHING there in your shoulders after the burpees.

You need to stop looking at my log... there's some seriously stupid sh!t going on in there at the moment.

Gonna train chest and back this morning, a 10 minute Cindy and 15 minutes on the Crosstrainer, and go back this evening to squat and do 7 rounds of 5 burpees and 5 thrusters w/ 60kg for time.

Fair play tho, you seem to be training hard and doing everything (a girl version of me?).

Hi G86 hope you don't mind me asking do you take any vitaimins / supplements or whey protein etc?? Just wondering is it worth taking these

Hey, yep I take whey protein. I'm a veggie so it's kind of vital for me, but yeah it'd definitely be worth getting it to take after your workouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭MissMotivated

Hey, yep I take whey protein. I'm a veggie so it's kind of vital for me, but yeah it'd definitely be worth getting it to take after your workouts.

Great thanks for that

Hanley wrote: »
    It's crazy how hard the second round of push pressing is eh? Literally NOTHING there in your shoulders after the burpees.

You need to stop looking at my log... there's some seriously stupid sh!t going on in there at the moment.

Gonna train chest and back this morning, a 10 minute Cindy and 15 minutes on the Crosstrainer, and go back this evening to squat and do 7 rounds of 5 burpees and 5 thrusters w/ 60kg for time.

Fair play tho, you seem to be training hard and doing everything (a girl version of me?).

Yeah like the first set of, push presses were grand, flew through the burpees - then got to the second set and could barely lift the bar over my head! I was shamed out of it when I checked the results on the crossfit blog, the average time seemed to be 7/8 mins:o

Haha guess I am doing everything now, but see I got stuck in a bit of rut for a while there and now that I've started the Oly practice I've something to work on again so I've a new dose of motivation!

Class session, flew through the deadlifts, been watching a few Rippetoe vids and even just adjusting my starting position has really improved my form.

Deadlift 60kgx5
    Inverted Rows x 10
    x5

Push Press x 25kg x 5
    Wall Balls x 7kg x 10
    x5

KTE's
    Side Bends x 20kg x 10 (each side)
    Weighted Crunches x 10kg x 10
    x3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Ammmmmmmm says I can't send you any more pm's til you clear some space! and I can't seem to send you a VM either.

Kudos on the log, and hopefully I will get into RAW in October after im done with TCD gym, have a lonnng way to go before I will be giving deadlifts another crack! :)

Ammmmmmmm says I can't send you any more pm's til you clear some space! and I can't seem to send you a VM either.

Kudos on the log, and hopefully I will get into RAW in October after im done with TCD gym, have a lonnng way to go before I will be giving deadlifts another crack! :)

Sorry didn't realise it was full! Ah now, less of that, there's nothing stopping you deadlifting til then in TCD:D

Sorry didn't realise it was full! Ah now, less of that, there's nothing stopping you deadlifting til then in TCD:D

Ha well for a start whats stopping me right now is the sheer amount of PAIN I am feeling today! jesus christ how anyone would desire to lift anything after feeling like this is beyond me!!! :pac:
    No, though in all seriousness I need to start from scratch and build my strength up.

Ha well for a start whats stopping me right now is the sheer amount of PAIN I am feeling today! jesus christ how anyone would desire to lift anything after feeling like this is beyond me!!! :pac:
    No, though in all seriousness I need to start from scratch and build my strength up.

Just start with 40kg instead of 50 then:pac: Ah no seriously though, if 50's your 1 rep max you could even start with 30kg for 5 sets of five and then just up work your way up from there.

As for the pain....haha that's good!! It means it's worked!!:D Although I remember the first time I did any weights, the next day I had to get my boyfriend to tie up my hair because I couldn't actually lift my arms over my head! You get used to it though, and you learn to love it:p

I'm soo glad the session went well and you're so interested, it would be great to see more chicks lifting in RAW, there's a bit of a unbalanced guy/girl ratio at the moment! :)

• Advertisement

Just start with 40kg instead of 50 then:pac: Ah no seriously though, if 50's your 1 rep max you could even start with 30kg for 5 sets of five and then just up work your way up from there.

As for the pain....haha that's good!! It means it's worked!!:D Although I remember the first time I did any weights, the next day I had to get my boyfriend to tie up my hair because I couldn't actually lift my arms over my head! You get used to it though, and you learn to love it:p

I'm soo glad the session went well and you're so interested, it would be great to see more chicks lifting in RAW, there's a bit of a unbalanced guy/girl ratio at the moment! :)

Ahh more like starting at 30 id say! Well I can lift my arms above my head, theyre not bad atall, shoulders feel a little stiff but its my thighs that are killing me, which G'em said would happen. You think the ratio is bad in RAW? its non existent in TCD, iv been there about a month now and not once have I ever seen a girl in the weights section.

Advertisement