Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back on track ....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

gymfreak wrote: »
    Here's a question for ya...first off, I think faaaar to much about things..had gone to an instructor to explain to me how the safety bars would work if I failed..as in if i failed what happens..do i just fall on my bum and the bar would rack or is there a way I'd have to fall?? Didnt get an answer..was just told to get a spotter

So what does happen if I fail on a rep? I think if i knew d answer I'd be more confident adding weight..instead of be terrified:)

If you fail you basically won't be able to get back up from the squat, so the safety bars will catch the barbell for you. You don't really have to do anything, once you drop back down the barbell will land on the safety bars. I never really fall on my bum, I always just go to the bottom of the squat so the bar lands on the safetys. Just make sure you adjust them so that they're high enough to catch it if needs be, I left them too low one day and whacked my knee off the fecking ground.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Coan Phillipi... love it. Be interesting to see how you get on. And stop being a f*cking numpty and start using chalk.

Hanley wrote: »
    Coan Phillipi... love it. Be interesting to see how you get on. And stop being a f*cking numpty and start using chalk.

Ach I will, just wasn't having probs with grip til the end so didn't think about it!

Loving CP, but not sure how to plan my workouts around it. I'd normally have 2 full body strength days, one with main lifts being squat and bench and the other with deadlift an OH press - along with other exercises supersetted. But now that CP is taking up my deadlift day I'm wondering should I do a split program over 3 strength days, or just do CP one day and stick with my normal full body squat/bench program the other day.

Then with regards to cardio, I don't want to be doing metcons that are going to wreck me if I'm going to be squatting as well as running the DL program, I want to get the most out of it like. Might just have a look for metcons that are more cardio than strength based for the other training days..

Anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

G86 wrote: »

Loving CP, but not sure how to plan my workouts around it. I'd normally have 2 full body strength days, one with main lifts being squat and bench and the other with deadlift an OH press - along with other exercises supersetted. But now that CP is taking up my deadlift day I'm wondering should I do a split program over 3 strength days, or just do CP one day and stick with my normal full body squat/bench program the other day.

Then with regards to cardio, I don't want to be doing metcons that are going to wreck me if I'm going to be squatting as well as running the DL program, I want to get the most out of it like. Might just have a look for metcons that are more cardio than strength based for the other training days..

Anyone any ideas?

Could you try doing a short sharp metcon after the heavy lifts on your heavy days? That way you get your day after to recover from both. Thats where Wendler puts conditioning anyhow.

Also, you are a hero for doing squats before C-P.
    A hero or a lunatic. :)

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Could you try doing a short sharp metcon after the heavy lifts on your heavy days? That way you get your day after to recover from both. Thats where Wendler puts conditioning anyhow.

Also, you are a hero for doing squats before C-P.
    A hero or a lunatic. :)

Yeah, I was going to stick a short run/row in after them. But I don't want to cut training down to twice a week either, you know? Maybe I should just stick with the 2 full body strength days as norm, and work it so that my days off are after each. e.g. Do CP on Sat, Sun off and do Squat/Bench Wed, Thurs off.

As for the squats before CP...seemed like a good idea at the time! I just really wanted a BW Squat before I started CP, wasn't happening though. My legs are a disaster still from it, I've had to learn the art of walking without actually moving my legs from the knee up :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Yeah, I was going to stick a short run/row in after them. But I don't want to cut training down to twice a week either, you know? Maybe I should just stick with the 2 full body strength days as norm, and work it so that my days off are after each. e.g. Do CP on Sat, Sun off and do Squat/Bench Wed, Thurs off.

As for the squats before CP...seemed like a good idea at the time! I just really wanted a BW Squat before I started CP, wasn't happening though. My legs are a disaster still from it, I've had to learn the art of walking without actually moving my legs from the knee up :pac:

How's about CP saturday, metcon day monday, bench/squat wednesday?

Parsley wrote: »
    How's about CP saturday, metcon day monday, bench/squat wednesday?

Yeah something like that is what I'm thinking, though I'd like to still get in 4 sessions a week, so I was thinking maybe just do some low intensity cardio on the Thurs too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Yeah something like that is what I'm thinking, though I'd like to still get in 4 sessions a week, so I was thinking maybe just do some low intensity cardio on the Thurs too.

seems a sound enough plan to me. but then again i'm useless at structuring my training!

Parsley wrote: »
    seems a sound enough plan to me. but then again i'm useless at structuring my training!

Aye sure I'll see how I go! Tonight I'm hitting my bed though, I'm seriously wrecked, just fell asleep at my desk...:o Should prob ease back into things as opposed to going hell for leather like on Sat!

Tonight I'm hitting my bed though, I'm seriously wrecked, just fell asleep at my desk...:o Should prob ease back into things as opposed to going hell for leather like on Sat!

I thought about this for a minute...

and then I copped the fook on:D

5 rounds of:
    400m run
    10 KB Swings x 20kg
    Time: 12:52

2k row: 10:07

- My legs and my bum are still feelin the brunt of Saturdays session - so sitting on the rower for 10 mins wasn't the most comfortable experience...owwwwww!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

If you fail you basically won't be able to get back up from the squat, so the safety bars will catch the barbell for you. You don't really have to do anything, once you drop back down the barbell will land on the safety bars. I never really fall on my bum, I always just go to the bottom of the squat so the bar lands on the safetys. Just make sure you adjust them so that they're high enough to catch it if needs be, I left them too low one day and whacked my knee off the fecking ground.

yeh, the safety bars on the rack i use are non-adjustable and are low enuf...like if I failed and was ass to grass bar would still be a bit off the rack..i suppse ya jus try dump it back.fall foward :confused: oh the technicalities:D prob not even worth thinkin about..just have to wait till it happens:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,146 ✭✭✭COH

gymfreak wrote: »
    yeh, the safety bars on the rack i use are non-adjustable and are low enuf...like if I failed and was ass to grass bar would still be a bit off the rack..i suppse ya jus try dump it back.fall foward :confused: oh the technicalities:D prob not even worth thinkin about..just have to wait till it happens:eek:

Just dont fail. Problem solved :)

COH wrote: »
    Just dont fail. Problem solved :)

Or just get a COH:D

Front Squats
    20kgx5
    30kgx5
    30kgx5

35kgx5x5

OH Press 25kx5
    OH Weighted Lunges 15kgx10
    x5

Bench Press
    20kgx10
    30kgx10

35kgx5x5

One Arm Rows 15kgx10 -lowered to 15kg to work on technique and stop dropping my shoulder
    KTE's x 5
    x5

KB Swingsx16kg x 21, x 15
    Box Hops x 21, x 15
    -wussed out on these, was meant to be 21,18,15,12,9 reps but my legs were banjaxed!!!

That's it now for a few days, unless I fit in some cardio tomorrow. Off work now for rest of the week and have a bday up in Donegal so lots of drinking to be done:D:D Coming back to Coan Phillipi then on Sunday with a hangover..should be interesting....

Met up with the guys in RAW yester - good craic. Some serious drinking done after, epic night:D

Warm Up Sets
    60kgx5
    70kgx5
    70kgx5

Coan Phillipi Week 2

Deadlift
    95gx2 - flew up, really happy with it.

77.5kg 3x8reps
    -seriously felt these.

3 circuits of:
    SLDL 60kgx8
    Bent over row 30kgx8
    Inverted Rows x 8
    Good Morning 20kg x 8

Followed by some cleans practice with G'em and some general messin.

Oh, and doing CP after a 4 hour bus ride with a serious hangover is not pleasant...

Managed to rip open two callouses while I was at it,I swear I'm missing like 3 layers of skin, ****ing pain!

Was gonna start Smolov Base today but my fcuking hell of a headache put that out the window. Going to get it started tomorrow though. The plan is to do it over 6 weeks twice a week and just work it into my squat/bench/press day...so I'll see how that goes.

Thinking about going out to the Crossfit Total in Oct too..

Need to get my ass in gear and sort out my squat out.

But now - bed.

Thinking about going out to the Crossfit Total in Oct too..

You should do it.
    You would probably do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Was gonna start Smolov Base today but my fcuking hell of a headache put that out the window. Going to get it started tomorrow though. The plan is to do it over 6 weeks twice a week and just work it into my squat/bench/press day...so I'll see how that goes.

Can you do that? Seriously asking, never seen anyone do it before but would be interested in running it 3/week at some point in the future, more manageable than 4/week.

Can you do that? Seriously asking, never seen anyone do it before but would be interested in running it 3/week at some point in the future, more manageable than 4/week.

Yeah, Hanley said it to me there during the week cause I wanted something I could do when I'm doing Coan Phillipi too.

Was meant to start Smolov today but my squats were feeling pretty strong so I decided to retest my max - and FINALLY nailed a bodyweight squat:D:D

Squatted in cons for the first time today too, and made a massive difference, felt much more upright and steady.

Squats

Warm up
    20kgx5
    20kgx5
    30kgx5
    35kgx5
    35kgx5

Work Sets
    40kgx5
    45kgx5
    50kgx5
    55kgx3
    60kgx1
    65kgx1
    70kgx1:D

OH Press

25kgx5
    25kgx5
    25kgx5
    20kgx5
    20kgx5
    Supersetted with:
    OH Weight Lunges x 15kgx10

One Arm Row
    s 17.5kgx10
    Tri Dips (elevated)x10
    x5

Bench Press
    Warm Up
    20kgx5
    25kgx5
    25kgx5
    Work Set
    30kgx5x5

1000m Row: 4:47

OH Press is weak - this annoys me. But other than that was a deadly session! Fecking delighted with that PR, been after it for ages!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

good stuff

Good Job.
    How did the presses feel?

Do you reckon you can put more on if you decide to enter the total?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

Nice work there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

WHOOP WHOOP!!!:D:D

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Good Job.
    How did the presses feel?

Do you reckon you can put more on if you decide to enter the total?

Meh, they were fair weak, had to drop the weight for the last 2 sets. I'd say I've a 30kg 1rm.

But I don't care, cause my squats rocked:cool: Would need someone to check depth on them for me next time though.

Oh dear god the shame......:o

Couldn't figure out why the deadlifts felt so damn heavy today - and then I realised I'd loaded an extra 5kg on one side of the bar!:o So, my 102.5kg was actually 107.5kg... no wonder I only managed 2 singles!

Coan Phillipi Week 3
    Deadlift

Warm Up Sets 60kgx5,80kgx5
    107.5kgx1
    107.5kgx1
    (should have been 102.5kgx2)

Speed Deadlifts

85kg 6x3reps

3 circuits of:
    SLDL 60kgx8
    Barbell Rows 30kgx8
    Inverted Rows x8
    Good Mornings 20kg/20kg/25kgx8

My hands are in some state, thanks COH for the chalk!

Heading out to IP tomorrow, hopefully get my squat and deadlift checked out when I'm there..

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

Enjoy IP tomorrow. Have to work so defo won't be able to make it:(

Brillant day out in IP - even if I was told I'm a Kenyan with abnormally long femurs.....:p Was great to meet Will and Barry and a few guys from here, and I can definitely see the appeal of training out there.

Will was a massive help with my squat, suggested trying a reaaallly wide stance with it and it made a huge difference to my form. I'm going to try the same with my deadlifts and see how I get on with them too. Also going to jump on the mobility work bandwagon...I've got one leg doing a lot more work than the other!

Plan for the mo is to do Smolov from Monday, and once I'm finished that and CP I'd like to join IP for a month and see how I get on with that. One of the girls in there was telling me there's a PL comp in Feb, I'd love to try that..even if I'm not technically 'built for it':pac: I don't care how long my legs are, I'm not gonna be running a marathon anytime soon!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Brillant day out in IP - even if I was told I'm a Kenyan with abnormally long femurs.....:p Was great to meet Will and Barry and a few guys from here, and I can definitely see the appeal of training out there.

Ha Ha Brilliant! Sorry I didn't stick around, glad to hear you got something from it aswell :)

• Advertisement

Goblet Squats with 7.5kg DB
    5 sets held for 60/60/60/45/50secs

- the idea is to work this up to 2 mins.

Smolov Base Week 1 Day 1
    Squats
    45kgx4x9

OH Press
    25kgx5
    25kgx5
    20kgx5
    20kgx5
    20kgx5
    Supersetted with
    OH Weighted Lunges15kg x10

Bench Press