Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back on track ....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

G86 wrote: »
    Eh, see above!:D

..I only decided the other day...
    I need to be told of these things IMMEDIATELY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

I need to be told of these things IMMEDIATELY.

Oops... it was on facebook too though!!
    Anyway, you know now...

Can we get me a decent squat now please?!:D

Oops... it was on facebook too though!!
    Ohhh how could I have possibly have missed it.
    Anyway, you know now...
    I can consider myself told then.
    Can we get me a decent squat now please?!:D
    Define decent.

Define decent.

More than what it is right now!:p

Actually I don't know what it is right now. Anything over 70kg would be nice. But going by those 45kg triples the other day I'm not very optimistic. Went for 70kg a few months ago but I'm pretty sure the depth was sh!te, just about hit parallel if even.

My OH Press also sucks, but I don't really care about that.

An there's not much I can do about my DL til I sort my technique out really is there... I'd be happy enough to stick with 110 on it if I could get my squat up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

I don't want to butt in on Will's coaching but I'd imagine once you get stronger through your core, then similar to your deadlift issues, your squat will increase regardless. I'm basing this on watching you deadlift 3 times :)

Correct me if I'm wrong El Heffé

• Advertisement

I'm basing this on watching you deadlift 3 times :)
    Badly!

Aw man, if that's the case it'll be Xmas 2011 before I get anywhere with it!:o

I've had a sh!t weeks training, only been in twice and not gonna get in today either. Load of bollox. I think I'm gonna join that BD gym too as it's just across the road - it would be handy just for some quick cardio when I'm short on time and can't get to IP.

On another note, my month of trying out IP is defo going to be a permanent thing now, really enjoying it so far. Off work Mon and Tues, so gonna get in some epic sessions to kickstart a week of even more epic-ness :)

Oh and as for the CFT, I just saw a vid of some chick out there squat 120kg. That burned! I know maxes don't matter etc. etc., and it's the effort that counts etc. etc., but STILL!!!! It's kinda hard to get excited about getting 70kg when there's a wee fecking powerhouse beside ya lifting near twice that...

I suck too much to be competitive. I really need to get over that. And perhaps take up running:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Oh and as for the CFT, I just saw a vid of some chick out there squat 120kg. That burned! I know maxes don't matter etc. etc., and it's the effort that counts etc. etc., but STILL!!!! It's kinda hard to get excited about getting 70kg when there's a wee fecking powerhouse beside ya lifting near twice that...

I suck too much to be competitive. I really need to get over that. And perhaps take up running:rolleyes:

Was it Dee?

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Was it Dee?

I think so aye, unless there's 2 of them!:)

She is pretty damn strong and pretty damn sound too (in my limited experience).

What you are saying sounds a bit like if I getting discouraged by seeing Hanley or L lift.
    Except that you are probably stronger in relation to Dee than I am in relation to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

This day two weeks I'll be in London competing against a two time Olympian and a current Commonwealth medal holder. I'm going to get my ass handed to me :) But you can't let the prospect of stronger lifters put you off a competition - the only performance you can put in is your best one, and thats all anyone asks for. Dee is an experienced powerlifter and weightlifter and has a fair few competitions behind her and she's one of the soundest and most supportive competitors you could wish for. This would be your first proper competition wouldn't it? Well take part of the experience and the fun and compete against *yourself* - the big numbers will come, they just take a bit of time, and sure you're only getting your squat back on track anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

The important thing is consistent improvement rather than where anyone else is at. For example, Dee was squatting 77.5 for singles and pulling 115 almost exactly a year ago. She'll probably tell you herself that competition was one of the most important factors in getting where she is now. For example, she hit a pr in the squat at 92.5kg the week before the PL nationals in march but smoked the absolute piss out of 100kg on the day with the competition buzz. The following monday (as in two days later) she hit an easy 105. Competition didn't make her stronger, it just seemed to show where she was at rather than where she thought she was and increase enthusiasm for further improvements. Oh, she's never done a squat "program" either, I've almost never seen her failing a squat in training and she doesn't look at strength and fitness websites (I on the other hand do and my squat is ****e!).

The point is, entering a competition and getting out of your comfort zone is a very very ****ing good idea becuase you'll ask yourself to do things you wouldn't in training and you'll have to follow through on them because people are watching!

Edit: Ugh, I look like her agent or something now!

Ah thanks guys, and G'em that defo puts it in perspective! Lack of patience is my downfall... :p

I just came across thIS wee beauty from a few years ago!
    5kg DB Squats?! 3kg Bench Press?! 20kg DL?! I was actually seriously considering lipodissolve back then too...!:o

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53077698&postcount=12

How times have changed...:pac: Funny thing is, I was only about 2/3kg heavier at the time, but I was DEFINITELY alot fatter! So, I'm going to try remember that when I get all annoyed about not losing weight on the scales now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

hi,

hope you dont mind me asking - what is Con.Block and Work.Block ???

FRUSTRATION!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad:

Deadlift
    60kgx5
    60kgx5
    70kgx5
    70kgx5
    - form held ok up til here.
    75kgx5
    75kgx5
    80kgx5
    80kgx5
    80kgx5
    - first rep of every set on these was a disaster, rest were ok.
    90kgx5
    90kgx3
    90kgx3
    90kgx2
    90kgx3
    90kgx3
    90kgx4
    -totally hit and miss with the reps in these sets, some good and some bad. Apparently my form is different for each rep. It doesn't feel mad heavy, lifting it easy enough, but just constantly losing my form! I think the last set was a bit better but hurt my back then so left it at that.

Never mind going for 115kg at the CFT, after that session it's bloody debatable whether I'll even hit 110kg again! I think I'll start off with 100kg and dependent on how that feels either go for 100/105/110 or 100/110/115.

I am NOT happy.:( I miss the days when deadlifting was simple....

Step Ups

8x5sets

Partial Bench
    - again very hit and miss, some reps are easy, some are way off line. Got a 3kg PB at least though.

20kgx8
    30kgx8

40kgx5
    40kgx5
    45kgx5
    45kgx5
    47kgx5
    47kgx5
    48kgx5
    48kgx5
    49kgx5
    49kgx5
    49kgx3

Dip Bar Inv Rows
    12x3sets

DB Side Bends
    15kgx10x3 sets

Bicep Curls
    7.5kgx10x3sets

Only realised when I'd finished up that I'd been there over 3 hours...

hi,

hope you dont mind me asking - what is Con.Block and Work.Block ???

Hey

I train out in Informed Performance and follow the set program out there. A Con.Block and a Work Block are part of a conditioning session. The Con.Block is a conditioning block which is normally something like 10min of prowler pushing, sprints, or kettlebell carries. The Work Block is like a super set of strength work done in 15mins, and you try to get as many rounds as possible done in that time. I hope that makes sense! :) So like on a conditioning day I'd have a Con.Block/Work Block/Con Block/Work Block in one session.

I do remember someone here saying that Will had a video on youtube about how the strength blocks are put together, but I had a quick look there and couldn't find it.

FRUSTRATION!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad:
    You need to channel that frustration into something positive...not into evil.
    Deadlift
    60kgx5
    60kgx5
    70kgx5
    70kgx5
    - form held ok up til here.
    75kgx5
    75kgx5
    80kgx5
    80kgx5
    80kgx5
    - first rep of every set on these was a disaster, rest were ok.
    90kgx5
    90kgx3
    90kgx3
    90kgx2
    90kgx3
    90kgx3
    90kgx4
    -totally hit and miss with the reps in these sets, some good and some bad. Apparently my form is different for each rep. It doesn't feel mad heavy, lifting it easy enough, but just constantly losing my form! I think the last set was a bit better but hurt my back then so left it at that.

Never mind going for 115kg at the CFT, after that session it's bloody debatable whether I'll even hit 110kg again! I think I'll start off with 100kg and dependent on how that feels either go for 100/105/110 or 100/110/115.

I am NOT happy.:( I miss the days when deadlifting was simple....
    So here is where we are at...deadlifting used to be easy because you just did whatever you wanted...and that is grand up to a point.

Your lifting technique is complete crap...simple as that...what you get away with is the fact that you can stiff leg deadlift 100kg for a single.

You've never learned how to deadlift properly and you've never been coached properly...that is changing though...hence your annoyance. I'm not going to let you be crap.

You are going to have to listen and learn. Every warm up from now on you are going to deadlift in it and we are going to get it right or you are going to die trying. Keep the faith.
    Partial Bench
    - again very hit and miss, some reps are easy, some are way off line. Got a 3kg PB at least though.

20kgx8
    30kgx8

40kgx5
    40kgx5
    45kgx5
    45kgx5
    47kgx5
    47kgx5
    48kgx5
    48kgx5
    49kgx5
    49kgx5
    49kgx3
    Again...as with your deadlift...you've no technique base to fall back on. This will be fixed as well.
    Only realised when I'd finished up that I'd been there over 3 hours...
    That's a short session for some...especially when I am standing there going 'No...do it again'...I say that a lot.

You need to channel that frustration into something positive...not into evil.
    If I could channel it into a 115kg DL in 3 weeks that would do grand.

Your lifting technique is complete crap...simple as that...what you get away with is the fact that you can stiff leg deadlift 100kg for a single.
    I did SLDL's for 2 years before I went near standard DL-ing - would that have anything to do with it?

My back knows all about my crap technique right now. I'm currently sitting lopsided - it's like someone stuck a knife into my back/hip right down my thigh.
    I'm not going to let you be crap.
    Good, 'cause I HATE being bad at things. And I used to think I was good at deadlifting :(
    Every warm up from now on you are going to deadlift in it and we are going to get it right or you are going to die trying.
    You mean as part of the standard warm up? So I get to deadlift every day?! I like this idea. Alot.

If I could channel it into a 115kg DL in 3 weeks that would do grand.
    I'd say you do close to that now...it would just look horrific.
    I did SLDL's for 2 years before I went near standard DL-ing - would that have anything to do with it?
    What do you think?
    My back knows all about my crap technique right now. I'm currently sitting lopsided - it's like someone stuck a knife into my back/hip right down my thigh.
    Not surprised.
    Good, 'cause I HATE being bad at things. And I used to think I was good at deadlifting :(
    I used to think I was the world greatest lover...sometimes we just have to take these let downs on the chin and move on.
    You mean as part of the standard warm up? So I get to deadlift every day?! I like this idea. Alot.
    Yes.

• Advertisement

I'm seriously reconsidering even entering this thing now. What's the point if I can't squat for sh!t and I'm gonna screw my back up max deadlifting!

As for the SLDLs, I don't know...that's why I asked.

I'm seriously reconsidering even entering this thing now. What's the point if I can't squat for sh!t and I'm gonna screw my back up max deadlifting!

To experience a Competition?
    The Buzz?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

A bad day is a bad day..brush it off..and try again.

Sure ya might as well compete just to see what your 1RM is on the lifts?? You like testing...think of it as another testing day:):)

I'm seriously reconsidering even entering this thing now.
    That's for you to decide.
    What's the point if I can't squat for sh!t and I'm gonna screw my back up max deadlifting!
    1. You could do it just for the craic.
    2. You certainly won't be the only person there with **** form and everyone will still be yelling 'That's awesome' because they won't have a clue what they are looking at.
    As for the SLDLs, I don't know...that's why I asked.
    Yes...you have an ingrained lifting pattern that we definitely want to beat out of you.

gymfreak wrote: »
    I don't actually think it was a 'bad' day...it was a good day...she found lots of things she has to work on and we know exactly what is wrong. Far better to have a few 'bad' days early on and get yourself sorted out and be able to work on actually being good at what you do...which she will.
    Sure ya might as well compete just to see what your 1RM is on the lifts?? You like testing...think of it as another testing day:):)
    Agreed.

gymfreak wrote: »

This would be grand - except every deadlift I do anywhere over bodyweight is god awful, on any day.

Pretty sure my 1rms haven't changed.

I don't actually think it was a 'bad' day...it was a good day...she found lots of things she has to work on and we know exactly what it wrong. Far better to have a few 'bad' days early on and get yourself sorted out and be able to work on actually being good at what you do...which she will.

I'm just being grumpy :) I know I'll get it sorted...eventually!

Til then I'll go to CFT and show people how NOT to deadlift:o

I'm just being grumpy :) I know I'll get it sorted...eventually!
    I know all about impatience. You've some really bad habits that are pretty deeply ingrained. When we keep the weight relatively light...you can do what you are told...when it gets heavier you resort to your default technique which is standard 'max effort/ugly as hell'.
    Til then I'll go to CFT and show people how NOT to deadlift:o
    I doubt any one will notice :)

When is it...I might come along to have a look if I am not working?

When is it...I might come along to have a look if I am not working?

Sat 11th Dec

You're always working!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

Jeebus! That's a whole lot of deadlifting in the one day! No wonder you were there for 3 hours.

Advertisement