Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back on track ....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

I am f*cking destroyed today, back is in bits. Took like 15 mins to get my shoes on this morn, and I had to squat to tie my laces cause I couldn't bend my back...:o

I'll be f*cked if I'm going anywhere near a gym or a prowler today. I need to learn to walk again first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

G86 wrote: »
    I am f*cking destroyed today, back is in bits. Took like 15 mins to get my shoes on this morn, and I had to squat to tie my laces cause I couldn't bend my back...:o

I'll be f*cked if I'm going anywhere near a gym or a prowler today. I need to learn to walk again first.
    :( that last rep did you in.

:( that last rep did you in.

Tell me about it. I know I generally over-exaggerate, but I'm not kidding, I feel like I jumped off a 10 storey building and landed flat on my back. I nearly missed my bus stop earlier cause I couldn't get outta the seat!:o

Yesterday was a bad day.

I tried starting the sub 100g carbs thing again and I was just pure wrecked, hungry and grumpy by the time I got to the gym, and on top of that my back was still really sore. Will had a look at it for me, but it still felt pretty stiff. I wasn't keen on hitting the prowler, so he suggested pulling it. That didn't go down well, at all. Firstly, I had 80kg on it, and I couldn't move it. Then we dropped it to 40kg and the stupid straps kept digging into my thighs, which is really fecking sore! So, I tried pushing it instead. This didn't go well either. I was just standing there looking at the damn thing thinking 'why am I here doing this when I'm feeling this ****!?'. So I ended up getting incredibly pissed off, giving up on it, and going home.

Looking over my log there's a bit of a pattern here...I try something new, with extremely high expectations of myself, and then if I don't get those I get really frustrated and annoyed about it. I want my deadlift to be fixed; I don't want to do the CFT with a 110kg deadlift that looks nasty as hell, especially when I know the rest of my deadlifting sucks at the moment too. I'd get no satisfaction out of it at all. I'd get more out of doing one decent set at 90kg with good form to be honest. I used to like deadlifting, because I thought I was good at it. Now I know I'm not, I'm starting to hate it.

I want to get my bodyfat down, but I can't do that sub 100g carb thing again. I'm not a dieter, it's not for me. Whenever I try it I just spend every hour of every day obsessing over food, and that's no fun for anyone. The problem I have right now is that I'm impatient. I'm not getting what I want fast enough. I'm also reconsidering my training. I train 5 days a week, but it seems more than likely that I'd see pretty much the same results training 3 days a week. Which might be something to consider, because I think I just feel like I spend half my life in the gym at the moment with nothing to show for it. But then I get that 'all or nothing' feeling, like what's the point in making a half arsed attempt at it only doing 3 sessions and getting nowhere.

IP is great, I've made alot of progress in from joining, I'm learning alot about technique etc., and I've really been enoying my training til now. I'm just feeling a bit de-motivated at the moment.

I am going to give you a full reply to this later...I just need to know if I need to alert the authorities or send someone round to watch you in the meantime.

• Advertisement

I am going to give you a full reply to this later...I just need to know if I need to alert the authorities or send someone round to watch you in the meantime.

Tell them they don't need to bother with a straitjacket, that prowler harness will do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

This is kinda like looking at my own log a while ago.

You need to accept a few things:
    1. you weren't as good as you thought you were.
    2. you're not as bad as you think you are
    3. You need to focus on one goal at a time.
    4. Stop thinking about your training so much.
    5. realise you are paying for coaching and do what you're told when told to do it (no more as it can lead to injury and no less because you wont see the results.

Stick with it.
    Eat the slice of humble pie. I had to eat the whole fecking thing and it wasnt the tastiest
    Move on and get awesomer.

This is kinda like looking at my own log a while ago.

You need to accept a few things:
    1. you weren't as good as you thought you were.
    2. you're not as bad as you think you are
    3. You need to focus on one goal at a time.
    4. Stop thinking about your training so much.
    5. realise you are paying for coaching and do what you're told when told to do it (no more as it can lead to injury and no less because you wont see the results.

Stick with it.
    Eat the slice of humble pie. I had to eat the whole fecking thing and it wasnt the tastiest
    Move on and get awesomer.

Thanks Liam, you're right enough. In fairness though, I do do what I'm told, I just ask alot of questions about why I'm doing it :) I don't work well on blind faith, I need to know why I'm doing things and what/where it's going to get me. Otherwise I just get bored and de-motivated.

What Liam said is enough...I won't say more than that...he's been in your situation and pulled out of that nose dive.

Seriously though...you thought you had problems...you should of seen the wreck of an individual that was in today...I've a video of his squat and it's the strength training equivalent of a snuff movie...soooo ugly it is beyond belief.

Seriously though...you thought you had problems...you should of seen the wreck of an individual that was in today...I've a video of his squat and it's the strength training equivalent of a snuff movie...soooo ugly it is beyond belief.
    Hehehe I heard about that alright:p

I'll be in tomorrow..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

I saw the video, it was UGLY!
    G86 wrote:
    I'll be in tomorrow...
    Good stuff!!

I only got through 2 blocks today before my back got really sore, couldn't finish out the session, so got fed up an headed home.

This is becoming a pattern.

Anyway, least the blocks I did were decent:
    IP Warm upx2

15min Work Block
    DB Bench Press 12.5kg x5 (increase from 10kg)
    One arm Row 20kg x5 (increase from 17.5kg)
    Windmills 7.5kgx5
    10 rounds in 14:48
    - happy enough with this as the weights were all increased. Didn't miss any reps on the bench which I'm happy with. But the windmills screwed my back over. I probably should have stopped but I wanted to finish out the block.

40kg Prowler Push

20 pushes in 9:45 mins

I thought my back was grand this morning, so I'm pretty pissed off that it's this painful now. It's the lower left side, and I get a serious jolt of pain whenever I move my left leg. Not happy.

Seems a bit ironic that the first time I proper hurt my back deadlifting happens when I'm actually working on improving my technique! Meh. I'm doing nothing til this is better. It's too f#cking sore and it's not worth it.

So all in all, I'm still pissed off and I'm still frustrated. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

Hope you are ok girl !. Take it from someone that return to training to quick after hurting my back. take it easy, you have only got one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

i'd recommend taking a break from training, taking a break from all the bitching you're doing at yourself, kick it for a while and then tear your deadlift a new asshole in a couple weeks.

Cheers guys. I suppose there's no point training only to get pissed off at myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,147 ✭✭✭COH

Cheers guys. I suppose there's no point training only to get pissed off at myself!

Get out of your own head and have some fun lifting. Its a long term game :)

COH wrote: »
    Get out of your own head and have some fun lifting. Its a long term game :)

I will...once I regain actual mobility:p

So, the bad news is my hip is fecked, but the good news is that Will can fix it :) It's the muscle that runs from my lower back, across my hip to my knee. Feels like an elastic band snapping in my thigh, and it hurts. So for the next while I'll taking a step back and just doing mobility and upper body work. Which is good in a way, because it means I can focus on strengthening my weak points - i.e my core. I'm happy now, because I know what's wrong and how to fix it. I really do hate not knowing things!

So today:

IP Warm up x 3 (without the high kicks and knee raises)

Mobility Work

- hip flexor stretches

Pull Ups

Red Band x1
    Blue Band 3x3
    Green Band x5x5x5x5x5x5x5x4

Push Ups
    5x12reps
    NO BREAKS:D I normally break up each set but I flew through the 12 today so I'm well happy!

Bridge with hips tucked in
    Waaaay harder than normal
    20 sec, 20sec, 30sec, 24sec,22sec

Mobility Work
    Split Squats
    Reverse Lunges
    - didn't keep track of the sets, was too busy biting my tongue with the fecking pain! I could feel the difference afterwards though.

I feel like I'm working towards something again now, so I'm alot happier. Was good craic today too with everyone testing. Karla aced her spider test and Liams squat was just pure savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

It's the muscle that runs from my lower back, across my hip to my knee. Feels like an elastic band snapping in my thigh, and it hurts.

:eek:
    That sounds manky.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    That sounds manky.

It is. There was also something about a disc slipping

And me being 'made wrong' because my sciatica nerve or summat is in the wrong place.

But I don't care, because I did 5 sets of 12 push ups:D

• Advertisement

IP Warm Up
    3 rounds of:
    Side lunges x 10
    Scap pull ups x 10
    Horizontal band pull aparts x 10
    Windmill push ups x 10

Hip Mobility

Hurdles
    Over and Unders

Squat Technique Practice

30kgx8x3reps

Bench Press
    20kgx8
    30kgx8

35kgx5
    40kgx5
    40kgx4
    40kgx5
    40kgx5
    40kgx5
    40kgx5
    Set/Rep PR - My PB was 40kgx5 and 42.5x2 back in August I haven't hit it since then, so getting 5 sets of 40kgx5 today was a bit of a surprise. Hoping that means my 1rm is at least 45kg.

Back Extension
    3x10reps

Hip Mobility Work

Inverted Rows
    3x10reps

Lat Pull down - blue band, 2 variations
    3x20reps

Bicep Curls
    3x10x7.5kg

Had to really push through this today. Had a savage headache and was pretty sore from yesterday. Just glad I finished out the session. Got my skinfolds tested too, no change. Although in fairness haven't had much proper training the past 2 weeks. Weight has gone up to 72kg - about a kilo from 3 weeks ago. I don't like that number. I'd prefer it back at 70kg.

Oooowwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

If it is the sciatica, take it easy and go to a good physio. This kind of injury is not to be messed with. I feel your pain

holdfast wrote: »
    If it is the sciatica, take it easy and go to a good physio. This kind of injury is not to be messed with. I feel your pain

Actually my back/hip isn't as bad as the weekend, it's more my thighs. And then DOMS in my arms, from yesterdays training probably.

No need for a physio when ya have a Will :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

It is. There was also something about a disc slipping

I'm sorry, you said WHAT now?

I'm sorry, you said WHAT now?

Moving/slipping/something like that.

There were loads of big words, about things moving that shouldn't be moving and things not moving that should be moving.

Those things are causing me pain - that's the jist of it.

IP Warm Up
    3 rounds of:
    Side lunges x 10
    Scap pull ups x 10
    Horizontal band pull aparts x 10
    Windmill push ups x 10

Con Block-10mins
    Lateral sprints, every 15 secs

15min Work Block
    5 box jumps
    5 db floor presses 12.5kg
    5 unsupported rows 15kg e/s
    14 rounds in 14:55mins
    - Flew through this, the rows were defo too light, heavier next time.

10 min Cond. Block
    Lateral sprints(every 15sec)40 in 10min

15 min Work Block

5 kb potato sack squat 32kg
    5 swiss bar press 30kg
    5 grey band pull ups
    15rounds=14:48mins
    - this was way too easy. Loving the kb squats, took my time with them to make sure I held the arch in my back - felt alot like deadlifting :)

10 min Cond. Block

Lateral sprints, 40 in 10min

Hip Mobility Work
    Foam Rolling

This was class, I love this conditioning session:D Everything was grand, there's nothing I don't like in it. Could defo up the weight in a few places next time, and go to the green band for the pull ups. Still feeling the stiffness in my lower back/thighs but just trying to be patient and hoping it'll disappear soon! :) Not doing the CFT thing next weekend, after the pain I was in last week it's definitely not worth screwing my back up over.

Weight: 70.7kg
    -there seems be be a whole kg that just comes an goes as it pleases! Was 72kg on Tuesday like!

IP Warm up x 1
    - the new warm up is a balls, I can't remember all the exercises but it takes forever! I did one round of it and got bored.

Box Squats
    20kg x 8
    30kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    -these were grand.

Single Leg Deadlift
    10kg x 8
    15kg x 8
    15kg x 8

Russian Twists

8kgx10/10
    16kgx10/10
    16kgx10/10

Chin ups
    Blue Band
    x5
    x5
    x5
    x4
    x4

Speed Bench Press
    20kgx8
    20kgx8
    30kgx5x5

45 degree back extension
    10kgx15
    10kgx10, and 5 with no weight
    10kgx10

DB Seated Powercleans

5kgx3x10

Foam Rolling
    Hip Mobility

This was grand, felt easy. Finished it feeling like I could have pushed alot more, but it's a new workout so I figure it'll just take a session or 2 to get used to it.

The funniest bit of this post is that if anything...you should forget about the training program and do that warm up 5 or 6 times...but what would I know.

• Advertisement

The funniest bit of this post is that if anything...you should forget about the training program and do that warm up 5 or 6 times...but what would I know.

Well now, you didn't tell me that did ya:p

Advertisement