Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back on track ....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

Don't use that 2nd rowing block in conditioning sessions any more please. If you see anyone else doing it....please tell them not to as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Don't use that 2nd rowing block in conditioning sessions any more please. If you see anyone else doing it....please tell them not to as well.

Damn!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

TDIBTSHDI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

I think Hanley told me to? And then Kieran told me to? Can I ask why? I'm all about the stupid questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭COH

G86 wrote: »
    I think Hanley told me to? And then Kieran told me to? Can I ask why? I'm all about the stupid questions.

No I didn't!

• Advertisement

IP Warm Up

Squats

Right first off, anyone who wants to take a dig about high/light squats can go elsewhere. I've had a serious knock to my confidence on these since wrecking my leg and it's frustrating enough without crappy comments thrown into the mix. The way I see it is I can stay light, fix myself, and work back up slowly. Or go heavy again straightaway, squat high as ****, and break myself. Guess which I'm going for.

20kgx5
    20kgx5
    30kgx5
    35kgx5
    40kgx5x4sets
    40kgx3 - felt a pull on my quad on the 3rd rep so finished up.

COH kept an eye on these for me, depth was good up to 35kg but started getting a few dodgy reps at 40kg so I stayed there, I'm dipping forward too. Felt shaky as hell, it's like I'm having to relearn to squat, but I'll get there! :)

No GHRs-they still hurt like a mofo.

Chin Ups
    x5
    x4
    x4
    x3
    x4
    x3
    x3
    x2

Happy with these, I enjoy doing them now that I can get a few :)

DB Bench Press

15kgx12
    17.5kgx9
    17.5kgx8x3sets
    - not sure whether to drop back to 15kg and hit my 12reps or stick with the 17.5s at 8...

Pull downs
    12x3sets

Side Bends
    24kg x 12 x 3

OH Plate Ext
    10kgx100reps, broken down.

COH wrote: »
    No I didn't!

Yes you did! :pac:

*of course I don't have a mind of my own or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

That rowing 'block' you did second is a whole session on it's own!!!!

The conditioning blocks you've done and always done are short bursts, intervals!!!

What's the difference between them and that rowing 'block'????

Da Za wrote: »
    That rowing 'block' you did second is a whole session on it's own!!!!

The conditioning blocks you've done and always done are short bursts, intervals!!!

What's the difference between them and that rowing 'block'????

Ahem.... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71767761&postcount=979

IDBHTMTDI:o

I really need to start thinking more about these things....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Ahem.... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71767761&postcount=979

IDBHTMTDI:o

I really need to start thinking more about these things....

I never said to do it in the middle of a workout.

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    I never said to do it in the middle of a workout.

Well I know now! Like I said, I need to think about things more. Bit lost at the moment.

Anyway, it's not like I'm complaining about not having to do it again....

My friend coaxed me into a run outdoors.... but I got to do some sprints halfway through so it wasn't tooo bad...

2 mile run
    10mins of hill sprints/1 per min (60m-ish, sprint up, walk down)
    2mile run/jog - this was very very slow...

Hayfevered to the max also...which didn't make this fun.

Unproductive day was unproductive.

Deadlift
    60kgx5x3 sets

80kgx5x5sets

Bridging
    60secsx3

Chin Ups (stuck these in btw the bridging)
    x5
    x3 x 5 sets

Side Bridging
    40sec/60sec
    45sec/50sec
    40sec/50sec
    - could prob last the min with all of these but I don't try hard enough, they bore me. Will have to cop on and sort that...

Completely forgot about the bench. I got distracted. Might do it before Cond. tomorrow.

Unsupported Rows
    20kgx12x5sets

Seated Bicep Curls
    10kgx10x3 sets

Pretty lax-a-daisy sh1t session, but still a session.

Work Block- 15mins 15's were being used to had to drop down t0 12.5kg for the lunges and press

Lunges 12.5kg e/s x 10
    10 DB Floor press 12.5kg
    10 e/s Unsupported rows 20kg
    8 rounds

Con. Block 10mins
    KB Swings 24kg
    DB Snatches 12.5kg
    10 rounds

Work Block
    5 Turkish Get up e/s 7.5kg
    10 DB row e/s 20kg (think this was actually meant to be only 5 e/s, oops)
    10 Potato sack squat 28kg
    6 rounds
    - forgot I normally do the turket get ups and rows with a KB in this block.
    The turkish get ups were way easier though, definitely have the hang of them now.

Con Block- Rowing
    150m row/30 sec rest x 10
    34sec
    33sec
    34sec
    34sec
    34sec
    37sec
    35sec
    35sec
    37sec
    38sec

IP Warm Up

Squats

20kgx5
    20kgx5
    30kgx5
    35kgx5
    35kgx5
    40kgx5
    40kgx5
    45kgx5 - felt like I was leaning too far forward so dropped back.
    40kgx5
    40kgx5

- tried box squats, but I was going lower without the box so just did them without. I think it might be a bit higher than the one in IP. I really miss having someone tell me when I'm leaning forward, being lopsided, etc., it's hard to gauge it yourself and there wasn't anyone in there today I really trusted to ask. Saw a dude yesterday squatting 100kg with a higher box than I had today, and he wasn't getting anywhere near it but kept putting weight on the bar, so needless to say I'm dubious about asking randomers to check my form.

Chin Ups
    x4
    x3
    x4
    x3
    x3
    - these were a disaster today. Was getting a real sharp pain under my ribs everytime I pulled myself up, and it was annoying as fcuk, kinda like a stitch you get from running. Weird.

Bench Press

- swapped the DB Bench for the barbell as I forgot to bench in the last strength session
    20kgx5
    20kgx5
    30kgx5
    40kgx5
    40kgx5
    45kgx5x5:) Happy out.

Pull downs
    12x3sets

Side Bends
    24kg x 12 x 3

OH Plate Ext

My friend Sarah is joining RAW next week too so it'll be nice to have someone to train with again, expecially for the conditioning blocks. Also, met a guy in there last week who used to train in IP, and he's left bands in reception for me to use for conditioning which was dead sound.

Squats

20kgx5
    20kgx5
    30kgx5
    35kgx5
    35kgx5
    40kgx5
    40kgx5
    45kgx5 - felt like I was leaning too far forward so dropped back.
    40kgx5
    40kgx5

- tried box squats, but I was going lower without the box so just did them without. I think it might be a bit higher than the one in IP. I really miss having someone tell me when I'm leaning forward, being lopsided, etc., it's hard to gauge it yourself and there wasn't anyone in there today I really trusted to ask. Saw a dude yesterday squatting 100kg with a higher box than I had today, and he wasn't getting anywhere near it but kept putting weight on the bar, so needless to say I'm dubious about asking randomers to check my form.

Why don't you start videoing yourself and replaying it after each set to check out your form yourself? I'm sure you'll be well able to see what your doing wrong/ right..I actually love looking at my videos and critiqueing

IP Warm Up + Chin ups 5,4,3

Did strength today as I'm doing a Cond. session with Sarah tomorrow. Felt more like a strength day anyways, if that makes sense to anyone!

Deadlift
    60kgx5
    60kgx5
    80kgx5
    80kgx5
    90kgx5x4sets
    90kgx3 - was aiming for 90kgx5x5, but I could feel my form going on the 3rd rep in the last set so left it there.

I've chatted to COH and Will about how I'm going to work this over the next 6 weeks, and the plan is to build up volume in the early weeks and then go heavier for less volume in week 4/5/6. e.g. say 5x5's and then down to 5x3 and 3x3 etc whilst upping the weight. The idea being that by week 6 I'll be lifting my current singles for reps - well, I think that's the idea! Funny, I'd never really thought about it properly before. I'm definitely going to start paying more attention to what I'm doing and how it's going to get me where I want to be.

Bridging and Side Bridging
    60secs
    30/30
    - couldn't do these, still have that stitch thing going on. Tried sit ups then but it was the same - annoying.

Bench
    20kgx8
    30kgx5
    40kgx5
    45kgx5
    45kgx5
    45kgx5
    47.kgx5:D
    47.5kgx5 - the last 2 were assisted, I'd told the guy not to touch it unless it was actually going to crush me and fair play to him he didn't.
    Really happy with getting the 5 reps at that, as my 1rm is 50kg like!

Unsupported Rows

20kgx12
    22.5kgx12
    22.5kgx12
    25kgx12
    25kgx12
    - these are feeling easier every session, upped the weight 5kg today and it was grand.

Seated Bicep Curls

10kgx10x3 sets

My weight is sitting at 70.2kg for the past 2 weeks now which is the lowest it's been in a while. Going to have to find someone to check my skinfolds somewhere too, no use my weight being down if my BF is up.

gymfreak wrote: »
    Why don't you start videoing yourself and replaying it after each set to check out your form yourself? I'm sure you'll be well able to see what your doing wrong/ right..I actually love looking at my videos and critiqueing

If I was in IP I would no bother, but to be honest I'd feel like a bit of a knob setting up a camera in RAW, and I'm not even sure where I'd put it. Stupid reasoning, I know - maybe if it's quiet I'll give it a go.

If I was in IP I would no bother, but to be honest I'd feel like a bit of a knob setting up a camera in RAW, and I'm not even sure where I'd put it. Stupid reasoning, I know - maybe if it's quiet I'll give it a go.

Oh..it's never bothered me using it at all....it must be my ego..it hasnt abandoned me even though IP did :D...As for setting it up...I keep going for the easy option..I ask multiple randomners to film it for me...simples :) They never mind either.

There's no use talking about how your not sure about form etc if your not going to be pro-active and do something about it...so go find your camera :)

Oh..it's never bothered me using it at all....it must be my ego..it hasnt abandoned me even though IP did :D...As for setting it up...I keep going for the easy option..I ask multiple randomners to film it for me...simples :) They never mind either.

There's no use talking about how your not sure about form etc if your not going to be pro-active and do something about it...so go find your camera :)

Ah I've a fair idea when I'm going wrong. But aye I'll see!

• Advertisement

Ah I've a fair idea when I'm going wrong. But aye I'll see!

Read back over what you wrote...you might change your mind.
    tried box squats, but I was going lower without the box so just did them without. I think it might be a bit higher than the one in IP. I really miss having someone tell me when I'm leaning forward, being lopsided, etc., it's hard to gauge it yourself and there wasn't anyone in there today I really trusted to ask. Saw a dude yesterday squatting 100kg with a higher box than I had today, and he wasn't getting anywhere near it but kept putting weight on the bar, so needless to say I'm dubious about asking randomers to check my form

Read back over what you wrote...you might change your mind.
    Edit: Androids are the devils work, as is vodka.

To rephrase in a sober manner, I was referring to yesterday, in saying that I've a fair idea when I'm going wrong. So the aim is to get better at that, at picking up on it myself when I'm lifting, i.e. if it doesn't feel right etc.

But thanks, and I'll see.

Work Block 15mins
    5 Deadlift e/s 24kg
    5 double kb press 8kg
    5 Chin Ups - first 5 unassisted, and the rest with the blue band.

Con Block

Row 10 x 150m/30sec rest
    32sec
    32sec
    32sec
    33sec
    34sec
    33sec
    35sec
    35sec
    36sec
    35sec
    - better times than last week and kept myself really strict on the 30sec breaks so I'm happy out.

Had to pure force myself to finish out these last 2 blocks, was wrecked.
    Work Block -15mins
    10 burpees
    10 DB pushup rows 5kg
    10 sit ups
    8 rounds in 15min

Con Block
    Sprints 30sec/30 sec off
    10kph/16kph

Feeling a bit obese at the mo, overdid the carbs a bit the last few days so although my weight is grand my stomach is pretty bloated. It's mad the difference it makes. I'll sort it now over the next few days and get it deflated again!

Chin Ups
    x5
    x5
    x5
    x4
    x3
    - really happy with these, first time I've got 3 full sets of 5:) Aiming for 5x5 now.

DB Bench

10kgx12x2
    17.5kgx12
    17.5kgx10
    17.5kgx8
    17.5kgx8
    17.5kgx8

Squats
    20kgx5
    20kgx5
    30kgx5
    35kgx5
    40kgx5
    40kgx5
    40kgx5
    40kgx2
    40kgx1
    40kgx1
    40kgx1
    - these were a disaster, had to stop and reset myself for the last few sets to try fix my form. I always low bar so I tried singles with high bar, just to see, but it made no difference. When I hit depth I lean way forward, and when I straighten up I don't hit depth! It wasn't heavy, I wasn't wrecked, I just kept messing them up... I've forgotten how to squat, I actually fcuking have.

Side Bends
    24kg x 12 x 3

OH Plate Ext

Sunday

Went thinking I'd have another attempt at squatting, and then do a conditioning session....didn't quite go to plan. Squatting pissed me off, so basically my workout was just a mismatch of stuff I could be arsed doing...:o

Squat
    20kgx5x4sets
    30kgx4
    30kgxFAIL - Yes, seriously, a proper knees buckled under me flat on my arse fail. I don't know what the fcuk is going on.

Chins
    x5
    x5
    x4
    x3
    x3

Bench

20kgx5
    20kgx5
    30kgx5
    40kgx5
    45kgx5
    45kgx5
    47.5kgx5
    47.5kgx3 - the guy spotting me said I kept losing my line, I was starting off with the bar above my chest and ending up with it over my neck. I remember Will saying that to me in IP before too. Meh.

Deadlift

70kgx5
    70kgx5
    80kgx5
    80kgx5
    90kgx5
    90kgx3 - started losing form.

Disaster................

I'm calling 911, aka Will.

Going to work on the squats again before cond. this eve and film them for Will to have a look at. My thighs still a bit sore to touch but it's not uber painful when I'm squatting anymore, so that can't be it. It must be some kinda flexibility prob, like I basically rolled on to my toes, heels went up off the floor, and when I tried to sit back I fell over..... I just can't sit into it properly anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

Going to work on the squats again before cond. this eve and film them for Will to have a look at. My thighs still a bit sore to touch but it's not uber painful when I'm squatting anymore, so that can't be it. It must be some kinda flexibility prob, like I basically rolled on to my toes, heels went up off the floor, and when I tried to sit back I fell over..... I just can't sit into it properly anymore.

I hate "injurous set backs", even minor ones. But your chins are coming along. At least you have Will to turn to, even virtually.

howtomake wrote: »
    I hate "injurous set backs", even minor ones. But your chins are coming along. At least you have Will to turn to, even virtually.

Haha aye, I think I've been doing more of them just to make myself feel better about my squat!:p

Marcus was a big help with my squatting today, he basically said I was going too deep and too fast with them, so I slowed down and tried stopping a bit higher. Still feel a bit shaky and I'll see what Will thinks, but I'm alot happier that I at least got back up to 50kg.

Squats

20kgx5
    30kgx5
    40kgx5
    50kgx5
    50kgx5
    50kgx5
    50kgx4

Youtube is being a bollox and telling me the 40kg set is a duplicate upload.... also I don't know how to flip the vid!!!!

Chin Ups
    x7:D
    x3
    x5
    x4
    x4
    x3

DB Bench Press
    15KGX12X5sets
    - 17.5's were being used to used the 15's and worked on getting the full 12reps

Side Bends
    24kg x 12 x 3

OH Plate Ext

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Advertisement