Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back on track ....

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Did he ummm.... tell you to stop THAT high?

Looking better tho. And at least you didn't fall over :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Hanley wrote: »
    Did he ummm.... tell you to stop THAT high?

Looking better tho. And at least you didn't fall over :p

He did - he said my back was rounding when I went Oly low, and that that was the best depth for me. I'm a crap judge of depth so I dunno. All I know is my form got way better after I did what he told me to. Is it mad high? Ah balls :/

G86 wrote: »
    He did - he said my back was rounding when I went Oly low, and that that was the best depth for me. I'm a crap judge of depth so I dunno. All I know is my form got way better after I did what he told me to. Is it mad high? Ah balls :/

You were going oly deep? :D:p

By powerlifting standards, yup - afraid so. But at least you're not chinning your knees anymore!! Dunno, see what Will says :)

By powerlifting standards, yup - afraid so. But at least you're not chinning your knees anymore!! Dunno, see what Will says :)

Eh yeah - only at 30kg though - don't get too excited:o (it's actually probably why I fell on my arse)

Ah well sure, I can work on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Just my personal opinion, so feel free to take it or leave it..but one of the most important things about videoing your lifts is that you get critical of yourself and are able to analyse what your doing.

Like, when I video lifts, I analyse them myself and guess what is wrong before asking anyone elses opinion..just to see how tuned in I really am. It's actually the same when I ask questions..I ask a question, answer it and then follow it with a 'yeh? or a is that right? Would that work?

More importantly..Can you see yourself that the squats are above parallel..that the crease of your thigh does not meet your knee?

• Advertisement

See with the depth, my main question was whether it was better to go with lower compromised form, or stay where I'm at with good form. Marcus was recording it and told me to stick with that depth, so I'm guessing my form was pretty nasty when I went deeper. He also made the point that I'm not bodybuilding or competing so I've no need to go very deep with it. With the lower depth reps up to 30kg my back was rounding and my knees were turning in a bit. But, that was before he pointed those things out to me, so it'd be worth trying again. Another thing was, I had it in my head that I needed to be vertical, as opposed to simply having a straight back - the difference only clicked with me yesterday. I'd always thought I was leaning too far forward.

Was chatting to Will there anyway though, he pointed a few things out to me and I know what I need to be doing, but tbh I knew anyway once I thought about it - I just need to do it! I think I'm thinking about a million things at once and putting myself off. Like I know I can hit depth, I was grand with it anytime I had someone looking over my shoulder in IP, it's just getting used to training on my own again now that's the thing I guess. And I'm shaky with it still too - have the fear since I went an attacked myself with that barbell :o My quad seems grand now though, it's still sore to touch that spot on my leg, but the bruising is near gone and there's no real pull on it or pain anymore when I'm squatting.

It's frustrating, but at least I've moved forward from falling over at 30kg:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

See with the depth, my main question was whether it was better to go with lower compromised form, or stay where I'm at with good form.

Neither is a good option, but I reckon you're well aware of that.
    Marcus was recording it and told me to stick with that depth, so I'm guessing my form was pretty nasty when I went deeper. He also made the point that I'm not bodybuilding or competing so I've no need to go very deep with it.

He's right with one thing, if you're not competing, or no plans to, then I'd go a step further and ask why you're back squatting at all? Why not use a pattern that suits you better? Front squat/goblet squat/double kettlebell front squat. It seems to be a source of frustration for you at the moment, especially now you'll be training on your own.

If you're not making progress with the back squat, I'd simply swap it out before you get too disheartened...or injured.

cmyk wrote: »
    He's right with one thing, if you're not competing, or no plans to, then I'd go a step further and ask why you're back squatting at all? Why not use a pattern that suits you better? Front squat/goblet squat/double kettlebell front squat.

I can't front squat - hurts my wrists like hell and I can't get my elbows high enough. And I hate it. Tried it for a while in IP and I hated it so much that Will let me go back to back squatting:)

As for back squatting...I don't know, I guess because it feels like one of those things I 'need' to do - you know like 'bench,squat,deadlift'. And I don't hate it, I do actually enjoy it, when I'm getting it right! I'm definitely making more progress with it after yesterday though and I'd rather keep at it than give up.

I know it seems from recent posts that I'm not enjoying my training but it's really just that I get very frustrated when I don't get things right, it happens alot but I always make my way through it and look back laughing at myself when I do eventually nail it! So I'll get there! :)

I can't front squat - hurts my wrists like hell and I can't get my elbows high enough. And I hate it. Tried it for a while in IP and I hated it so much that Will let me go back to back squatting:)

Cross your arms, use the kettlebell/double kettlebell racked. I have issues with the back squat too, but no intention of competing. The only reason I get back under a bar now is for ego.
    As for back squatting...I don't know, I guess because it feels like one of those things I 'need' to do - you know like 'bench,squat,deadlift'.

You'll still be 'squatting' it's not cheating. ;)
    I know it seems from recent posts that I'm not enjoying my training but it's really just that I get very frustrated when I don't get things right, it happens alot but I always make my way through it and look back laughing at myself when I do eventually nail it! So I'll get there! :)

No worries, I was just bullying my way in with some alternatives.

cmyk wrote: »
    Cross your arms, use the kettlebell/double kettlebell racked. I have issues with the back squat too, but no intention of competing. The only reason I get back under a bar now is for ego.

Aye, I tried that too, and couldn't balance myself:o I actually will just keep coming up with excuses on this one I'm afraid, because I hate front squatting!
    You'll still be 'squatting' it's not cheating. ;)
    Ahhhh I know, but a squat doesn't feel like a proper squat to me unless it's under a bar! I really just don't want to drop it out of my program because of a few bad weeks, I'd been making great progress with it in IP til I damaged myself, and I'd got it up by 10kg. I want that back, I want an 80kg squat again, and this time I want it for reps- for no other reason than I just WANT it :D

No worries, I was just bullying my way in with some alternatives.
    And they're welcomed, thanks! :) COH was saying the goblet squats might help me drill my form for the back squats too, so maybe it'd be an idea to add them to my warm up every session or something.

• Advertisement

Aye, I tried that too, and couldn't balance myself:o I actually will just keep coming up with excuses on this one I'm afraid, because I hate front squatting!

I can see that ;)
    And they're welcomed, thanks! :) COH was saying the goblet squats might help me drill my form for the back squats too, so maybe it'd be an idea to add them to my warm up every session or something.

Not a bad idea, wall squats too maybe.

I'm actually taking a bit of a liking to rowing! :)

Work Block 15min
    10 Lunges 15kg
    10 DB Press 15kg
    10 e/s One Arm Rows 20kg
    9 rounds

Con Block
    Row 10 x 150m/30sec rest
    32sec
    32sec
    32sec
    32sec
    34sec
    34sec
    34sec
    33sec
    34sec
    33sec
    - times all improved from last session. Not sure where to go with it now, whether to just try get sub 30sec on the rows, or cut my rest time to 20sec? Ideas welcomed!

Work Block -15mins
    5 Turkish Get up e/s 7.5kg
    10 DB row e/s 20kg
    10 Potato sack squat 28kg
    6 rounds
    - my forearms were dead stiff through this, turkish get ups killed my arms. But I'm definitely improving on them, I'm managing to tuck my leg straight under me when I get up now, as opposed to having to swivel my whole hip around to try get up!

Con Block
    1k row: 3.33
    I know it's not a proper 10 min block but I really wanted to check my time on this. I'm pretty happy with it too!:) I could get used to this rowing craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

2 cents worth from me too.

Id agree with cmyk completely.
    seems to me like you really have some sort of mobility/flexibility issue in the hips (remember your groin rotations the 1st time?)
    Id say to just work really hard on hip opening exercises, go back to doing more bodyweight squats and holding the position down in the bottom and pushing your knees out with your elbows with a big chest and ensuring both feet are flat on the ground, then procreed onto doing the same thing holding a KB or DB in the goblet squat and build it up slowly from there.

more weight isnt the answer here, nor is squatting above parallel, and while your goal of squatting over bw for reps is admirable, you need to strip it all back, break it down and start to build it back up again slowly.

2 cents worth from me too.

Id agree with cmyk completely.
    seems to me like you really have some sort of mobility/flexibility issue in the hips (remember your groin rotations the 1st time?)
    Id say to just work really hard on hip opening exercises, go back to doing more bodyweight squats and holding the position down in the bottom and pushing your knees out with your elbows with a big chest and ensuring both feet are flat on the ground, then procreed onto doing the same thing holding a KB or DB in the goblet squat and build it up slowly from there.

more weight isnt the answer here, nor is squatting above parallel, and while your goal of squatting over bw for reps is admirable, you need to strip it all back, break it down and start to build it back up again slowly.

Thanks a mil for the advice Liam, it does make sense...but then I'm getting better with the turkish get ups and that's down to hip flexilibility too isn't it? So I don't know! Will has looked at them and he told me to just keep working on them because he's seen me squat to depth before so I CAN do it. He's told me to run with the IP programme for now, so gonna stick it out for the next few weeks and see how I go. If I've not progressed at all by then I'll look at alternatives. In the meantime I'll see about adding more hip action into my warm ups and see if it helps. Does that seem a fair enough plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

- times all improved from last session. Not sure where to go with it now, whether to just try get sub 30sec on the rows, or cut my rest time to 20sec? Ideas welcomed!

just do 30s on, 30s off for 10 mins and try to get as close to 150m as possible every time.
    If you;re on a C2, push custom workouts and it should be there under 30/30 intervals.
    Does that seem a fair enough plan?

yeah, you could possibly just need more warm up time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Take a look at this vid: http://vimeo.com/2859165

I've watched it about 100 times and have done hours of wrist work to get it right. It pretty much pointed out everything i was doing wrong and taught me correct form for front squats. It's all about training a different part of you. Don't give up on the front squats!

Dathai wrote: »
    Take a look at this vid: http://vimeo.com/2859165

I've watched it about 100 times and have done hours of wrist work to get it right. It pretty much pointed out everything i was doing wrong and taught me correct form for front squats. It's all about training a different part of you. Don't give up on the front squats!

Ah cool cheers I'll have a look. Used to be alright with them a year or so ago...but then I stopped doing them and hey presto, lost the knack! I'm not too fussed tbh though, I don't have the patience. Much prefer back squatting - well, when I'm getting it right that is:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Thank you. Exactly the video I need at the moment. Have been trying front squatting recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

That row time is impressive

Molly wrote: »
    That row time is impressive

Aye Hanley just sent me the link for the UK records to compare, I didn't realise it was that decent like! :) Might look into the oul rowing a bit more now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 sexwolf

I think your stance looks very wide. your right foot is nearly touching the rack and assuming your left foot is in a similar position? you could be too wide? i find narrowing my stance slightly allows me to hit better depth and stop me leaning forward too much. just a suggestion.

sexwolf wrote: »
    I think your stance looks very wide. your right foot is nearly touching the rack and assuming your left foot is in a similar position? you could be too wide? i find narrowing my stance slightly allows me to hit better depth and stop me leaning forward too much. just a suggestion.

I don't think it's anything to do with that tbh. Will told me to stick with that stance when I first joined IP, as I've long legs and I was leaning too far forward with a narrow stance. My squats have felt a lot more solid since I adjusted it. Well, apart from the last few weeks:o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

A narrower stance certainly doesn't prevent me leaning forward, the opposite actually.

Sangre wrote: »
    A narrower stance certainly doesn't prevent me leaning forward, the opposite actually.

That's as much to do with how you squat and inherent limitations as the stance tho - poor upper back, hip and ankle mobility will have you kicking forward something fierce.

Sangre wrote: »

That's what I thought. I guess it's different for different people. Maybe there was other reasoning behind it, but either way, widening it definitely helped me get my squat up over the past few months.

Friday

Deadlift
    70kgx5
    70kgx5
    80kgx5
    80kgx5
    90kgx5
    90kgx5
    90kgx3x3

Bridging x3
    60secs

Bench
    20kgx8
    30kgx5
    40kgx5
    45kgx5
    45kgx5
    45kgx5
    47.5kgx5
    47.5kgx5

Unsupported Rows
    25kgx12x5sets

Seated Bicep Curls
    10kgx10x3 sets

Starting to get a bit bored training wise. Relocating soon, so might have to re-jig things a bit til I get sorted with a proper gym set up, might be a bit limited equipment wise so looking at picking up a KB and some home equip too when I get there.

I improved alot strength wise in IP, and my BF went down steadily etc., but I just don't really know where to take things now. Do I keep trying to get stronger? But then why am I doing that? What am I going to get out of it? Besides the satisfaction of it - which is my main motivation at the mo, that and a bit of competitiveness with myself! Do I focus more on lowering my BF? I mean, I know it's come down and I'm happy enough, but at the same time I'd like to see if I could get it sub 110mm and sustain it there. But sure now I've no way of checking it either...

See this is the prob, I'm happy enough. I'm happy enough with my lifts, except my squat which is annoying the fcuk out of me, but I'll fix that; I'm happy enough with my size - I know if I went sub 100g on the carbs and didn't train I could probably diet my way down to a flatter stomach in a few weeks...but I don't want to live off protein shakes, and I don't want to stop training. I like that I can stick in around 150/200g and still drop a bit of BF every month, and still have energy to train.

Might look more into the rowing too...

Ahhh...I dunno!

Vent over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

Starting to get a bit bored training wise. Relocating soon, so might have to re-jig things a bit til I get sorted with a proper gym set up, might be a bit limited equipment wise so looking at picking up a KB and some home equip too when I get there.

I improved alot strength wise in IP, and my BF went down steadily etc., but I just don't really know where to take things now. Do I keep trying to get stronger? But then why am I doing that? What am I going to get out of it? Besides the satisfaction of it - which is my main motivation at the mo, that and a bit of competitiveness with myself! Do I focus more on lowering my BF? I mean, I know it's come down and I'm happy enough, but at the same time I'd like to see if I could get it sub 110mm and sustain it there. But sure now I've no way of checking it either...

See this is the prob, I'm happy enough. I'm happy enough with my lifts, except my squat which is annoying the fcuk out of me, but I'll fix that; I'm happy enough with my size - I know if I went sub 100g on the carbs and didn't train I could probably diet my way down to a flatter stomach in a few weeks...but I don't want to live off protein shakes, and I don't want to stop training. I like that I can stick in around 150/200g and still drop a bit of BF every month, and still have energy to train.

Might look more into the rowing too...

Ahhh...I dunno!

Vent over :)

Come take up oly lifting with me, could do with some female company there. Ack, probably too far for you though.

Or like you said rowing, take something up that you love to do and where strength is needed (to keep you motivated to increase it). Not to sure what your age is but ya know us 'chicks' start to lose what ever we don't use a bit faster than men after the 30's.

howtomake wrote: »
    Come take up oly lifting with me, could do with some female company there. Ack, probably too far for you though.

Or like you said rowing, take something up that you love to do and where strength is needed (to keep you motivated to increase it). Not to sure what your age is but ya know us 'chicks' start to lose what ever we don't use a bit faster than men after the 30's.

I'm afraid I won't be in the country, so might be a bit far! :) I tried it once though..and once was enough:p Olympic lifting isn't for me...

I definitely want to keep lifting, I just need some actual goals... I don't really know what to aim for anymore. I wanted a pull up, now I'm hitting 7 chin ups; I wanted a double bodyweight deadlift, now I'm just 10kg off it; and I wanted to drop BF and I've gone down 31mms. I know the chin ups will keep improving but I'm not so sure about the deadlift - I'm just not confident enough to go for maxes anymore. As for the squat, I had hit over bodyweight, but now it's gone totally backwards and I'm not sure where it's going. I wanted a bodyweight bench too, but again, I'm not that arsed now...because I don't see the point of aiming to get one rep for 70kg when I can get results with my current working weight.

My mindset seems to have changed overnight. I had these set numbers in my head I wanted to hit; but now I'm asking myself WHY I wanted to hit them and what I'm actually going to get out of it.

I'm confusing myself tbh...so god help anyone reading this!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

I'm afraid I won't be in the country, so might be a bit far! :) I tried it once though..and once was enough:p Olympic lifting isn't for me...

I definitely want to keep lifting, I just need some actual goals... I don't really know what to aim for anymore. I wanted a pull up, now I'm hitting 7 chin ups; I wanted a double bodyweight deadlift, now I'm just 10kg off it; and I wanted to drop BF and I've gone down 31mms. I know the chin ups will keep improving but I'm not so sure about the deadlift - I'm just not confident enough to go for maxes anymore. As for the squat, I had hit over bodyweight, but now it's gone totally backwards and I'm not sure where it's going. I wanted a bodyweight bench too, but again, I'm not that arsed now...because I don't see the point of aiming to get one rep for 70kg when I can get results with my current working weight.

My mindset seems to have changed overnight. I had these set numbers in my head I wanted to hit; but now I'm asking myself WHY I wanted to hit them and what I'm actually going to get out of it.

I'm confusing myself tbh...so god help anyone reading this!:p

Well I know how you feel, been there plenty of times. The only danger is (as you know) with indecision, it can hamper motivation going forward. But then again sometimes we need a chance to reflect. :confused: I dunno :confused:, catch 22. You'll do what feels right and be really going for "it" again, full steam ahead. What ever you choose "it" to be :)

Advertisement