Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back on track ....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

howtomake wrote: »
    Well I know how you feel, been there plenty of times. The only danger is (as you know) with indecision, it can hamper motivation going forward. But then again sometimes we need a chance to reflect. :confused: I dunno :confused:, catch 22. You'll do what feels right and be really going for "it" again, full steam ahead. What ever you choose "it" to be :)

I over think things quite a lot, it's my thing...

If ya look back over my log you'll probably see it's a bit of a running theme..:o

Thanks for the advice :)

Today I squatted....alot:D

I just decided I was going to keep at it til I made some kind of progress. Ended up doing a few front squats too...miracles do happen:p

Chin Ups
    x7
    x6
    x5
    x4
    x3
    - see a pattern here?!:o

Squat
    20kgx5
    20kgx5
    30kgx5
    30kgx5

40kgx5x5sets
    50kgx5x5sets

Second set at 40kg

-first 2 don't look too bad depth wise, but the last 3 are higher. Got a cramp in my foot on the last rep too, hence going off balance.

Third 50kg set

- These were all way too high, AND I'm rounding my lower back a bit :(

-3 guys actually came over to tell me they looked grand and were deep etc. but going by those vids they're obviously not! I felt like I was leaning forward too, the dude filming the set at 50kg set there was only a slight tip but it looks like more to me? Or maybe I'm being too critical now? (someone told me that too(albeit in a nice way:))... everyone had an opinion today!)

Front Squat
    20kgx5
    20kgx5
    30kgx5
    30kgx5
    30kgx5
    40kgx5
    40kgx3x5sets
    45kgx3x5sets
    50kgx1
    50kgx1
    50kgx1
    - these hurt my left wrist. My right one is grand, it's just my left one that's niggling at me. But stuck with it anyways, for a change:pac: I haven't front squatted anything over 40kg in a long time, and my PR used to be 55kg, so I'm happy with this. But I know that technique wise I probably need to shape it up a bit and get a bit lower.

40kg set, these don't look too bad?

45kg set - These weren't great, they look higher?

It looks to me like the depth I'm hitting with the front squats is the depth I need to be hitting with the back squats; and my front squats need to be deeper then still.

Appreciate any input, criticism is welcomed, pay no attention to my wee hissy fit a while back :)

DB Bench

17.5kgx10
    17.5kgx8x4sets

KB Side Bends
    24kgx12x5sets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Your feet look too far apart on the back squats so you're probably misjudging depth because of it. You're getting there tho!

Good going on the front squats :D

Dathai wrote: »
    Your feet look too far apart on the back squats so you're probably misjudging depth because of it. You're getting there tho!

Good going on the front squats :D

Thanks :) I've long legs though, so I find it easier to squat with a very wide stance - it's the way Will showed me in IP. I lean waaaay forward if I keep my legs narrower. So I don't think that's the problem, but you're right about the depth...I'm defo misjudging it:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Not too far away on the 50kg squats - they looked better.

40kg front squats were nice too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

i'd just try bringing your stance in a decent bit. maybe put plates under your heels or try oly shoes along with that...

Parsley wrote: »
    i'd just try bringing your stance in a decent bit. maybe put plates under your heels or try oly shoes along with that...

You mean for both back and front squats? That extra wide stance is honestly the best way I can back squat. My squat was way worse til I started using it.

I could try narrowing it for the front squats though? A guy in the gym actually said that to me today too, and I tried it, but my balance was way off..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

G86 wrote: »
    You mean for both back and front squats? That extra wide stance is honestly the best way I can back squat. My squat was way worse til I started using it.

I could try narrowing it for the front squats though? A guy in the gym actually said that to me today too, and I tried it, but my balance was way off..

yeah, for both. i mean the front squats are fairly fine as they are but it's something i'd definitely try.

Are you able to squat down with a narrower stance with just bodyweight? No bar on your back either.

Dathai wrote: »
    Are you able to squat down with a narrower stance with just bodyweight? No bar on your back either.

Probably..I never notice! I can squat with a narrow stance with weight - it's just not pretty.

I know a few people are pointing it out, but I'm happy to leave my stance as it is tbh, it's the one part of my squat I know I'm getting right. It was the first thing Will got me to change when he saw my squat. I really do have gangly limbs....!

• Advertisement

Ah ok :)

I just ask because I found it difficult to squat with a narrower stance before, then I started doing hip flexility movements and stretches and it got better.

Yesterday I went for a half arsed run.

Today I.... well, didn't do very much.

Chin Ups
    x5
    x5
    x5
    x5
    x4
    - I was aiming for 5x5. This bugged me. Alot.

OH Squat
    About 5 failed attempts. Apparently I can't OH Squat anymore. This also bugged me, alot. And no, I've no idea why I decided to do it, I was bored.

Row
    200m - got this far, and went home.

Getting a new programme off Will soon... hopefully that'll motivate me. I need something new. I'm bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Yesterday I went for a half arsed run.

Today I.... well, didn't do very much.

Chin Ups
    x5
    x5
    x5
    x5
    x4
    - I was aiming for 5x5. This bugged me. Alot.

OH Squat
    About 5 failed attempts. Apparently I can't OH Squat anymore. This also bugged me, alot. And no, I've no idea why I decided to do it, I was bored.

Row
    200m - got this far, and went home.

Getting a new programme off Will soon... hopefully that'll motivate me. I need something new. I'm bored.

Go row!!!

Did Hugh tell you he's joined a rowing club..could be something for you to give a go at:)

gymfreak wrote: »
    Go row!!!

Did Hugh tell you he's joined a rowing club..could be something for you to give a go at:)

I'm moving...so afraid that's a no go. Hopefully I'll find a gym with a C2 though.

I'm moving...so afraid that's a no go. Hopefully I'll find a gym with a C2 though.
    You could always go and give it a try and see if ya like it...that way when you move you could actively seek out a club if you were into it...apart from that..I'm outta ideas:)

Started a new programme. Repetition sessions are going to be my conditioning sessions now, along with rowing sessions when the mood takes me, instead of pushing myself through it when I'm not arsed.

There are a few things in the new strength sessions I'm not keen on... e.g. boring machine stuff like leg presses/leg ext and then the god awful ab roll outs, but Will made sense when he said it's a case of giving me enough of what I like so that I'll do the things I need to do. I still don't like them though.:p

Anyways, the repetition session today was....repetitive. Not much to it, just went in, got it done, and went home.

R1

Warm Up
    -nowhere free do to overs and unders or hurdle steps. Did what I could of it.

All of the sets had 60sec breaks in between each, apart from the first 2 sets of RDL's - cause I only remembered after that:o

RDL's

These confused the hell outta me. I had them mixed up with Sumo Deadlifts, and then when I looked them up on youtube there were like 100 different instructions on how to do them.

I ended up doing something in between an SLDL and a regular deadlift. They felt weird, like my arse was too high up or something.

60kgx12x2sets
    70kgx10x5sets

Step Ups e/s
    x10
    x10
    x10
    x8
    x8
    - I hate these. I got out of doing them for a while with my leg, and forgot how much I hate them. Not a hope of doing them with weight. Focused on stepping up from my heel.

KB Side Arches

24kgx10x3 e/s

Bench Press
    20kgx12
    20kgx12

30kgx10
    40kgx10
    40kgx8 - dropped down to 35 after this as I was meant to hit 10reps
    35kgx10
    35kgx10

DB Unsupported Rows
    20kgx10
    25kgx10
    25kgx10
    20kgx10
    20kgx10
    - right, confession. These were meant to be seated rows, but I hate machines, hadn't a clue how to do them, and didn't want to do them. So, it was skip them or do these. And I like these. I'm going to see if I can do them instead.....

Hanging Leg Raises
    x5/5
    x10
    x8/2
    x7/3
    x5/3/2
    - I suck at these.

OH Tri Ex
    10kgx10x5sets
    Easy.

This didn't feel incredibly productive....very very boring. Definitely didn't feel like a conditioning session, but it's probably just a matter of getting used to what weights to use etc.

I'll get through all the new sessions and see what the craic is then, trying to snap outta the not arsed mentality I'm in at the mo, and the only way to do that is to keep grinding out the sessions.

Anyways, the repetition session today was....repetitive. Not much to it, just went in, got it done, and went home.

Step Ups e/s
    x10
    x10
    x10
    x8
    x8
    - I hate these. I got out of doing them for a while with my leg, and forgot how much I hate them. Not a hope of doing them with weight. Focused on stepping up from my heel.
    I hate these too.
    This didn't feel incredibly productive....very very boring. Definitely didn't feel like a conditioning session, but it's probably just a matter of getting used to what weights to use etc.

I'll get through all the new sessions and see what the craic is then, trying to snap outta the not arsed mentality I'm in at the mo, and the only way to do that is to keep grinding out the sessions
    I love the repitition sessions...you don't have to think of anything..you just go in and do it...great in my books! You'll see the light soon:)

I hate these too.

Good to hear I'm not the only one....

Being attacked by my respiratory system again.... but might get in this evening and get S1 done. Really want to get all the new sessions worked through this week so that I'll have more of a handle on them next week. I'll see if my body obliges later.

Turns out I have a full blown chest and throat infection, nice one... not. Wheezy as hell, so going to be late next week before I get anything done. On the plus side, I'm actually so sick of lying about the place now that I'm dying to get get back in the gym! So at least one good things coming out of it! :)

Back on schedule...

S1

Squats
    20kgx5 - back squat
    20kgx5 - front squat
    30kgx5 - back squat
    30kgx5 - front squat
    40kgx5
    40kgx3
    The back squats are 40 weren't feeling great, just felt 'wrong', don't know how to explain it! Anyway, I switched over to front squats for my workset to see if it made any difference and they were grand.

40kgx3x5sets

Leg Curls

There aren't any weight markers on this machine, just numbers, so not sure on the weight
    No.2 x 12
    No.4 x 12x4 sets - these hurt, not necessarily mad hard, but they definitely hurt!

Bridging
    60secsx3

Barbell Row
    This is my new favourite thing:D
    Wasn't sure what weight to use, so worked my way up to 50 and it felt grand so did the 5x5 at that.
    20kgx8
    20kgx8
    25kgx5
    30kgx5
    40kgx5

50kgx5x5
    - didn't get too tough til the last set, I'd say I could go heavier with them next time. Not sure what weight I'm meant to be aiming for.

Flat Bench Press
    12.5kgx10
    15kgx10
    15kgx10
    15kgx10
    15kgx8

KB Side Arches e/s

24kgx10x5sets
    - these were meant to be OH Plate Arches but I'm still not sure what exactly they are.

Bicep Curls (seated)

10kgx10
    10kgx10
    10kgx10
    10kgx10
    10kgx8

• Advertisement

First time I get proper DOMS in ages, and it's from a....leg curl machine?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

First time I get proper DOMS in ages, and it's from a....leg curl machine?!

SHOCK HORROR!! An exercise you never go gives you DOMS when you do it for the first time in aaaaaaaages :eek:

Plus the majority of the hamstring training you've been doing for the last while has been hip extension dominant as opposed to knee flexion which is what you were doing on the leg curl.

Hanley wrote: »
    SHOCK HORROR!! An exercise you never go gives you DOMS when you do it for the first time in aaaaaaaages :eek:

Plus the majority of the hamstring training you've been doing for the last while has been hip extension dominant as opposed to knee flexion which is what you were doing on the leg curl.

The last time I used that machine was in my days in 'Profiles' on O Connell street.....:pac:

Just read a workout someone posted on the main forum, and it actually made sense to me - like I was thinking 'ahh I see why he suggested that, and then that etc.'

I think I've had a epiphany:)

IP Warm Up x 2

R2

Reverse Lunge
    15kg x 10 x 5sets

Leg Press
    20kgx10
    40kgx10
    50kgx10
    60kgx10
    70kgx10x5sets - this is my second new favourite thing. Which is odd, since I really didn't want to do it.

Ab Roll Outs
    20 x 3 sets - was dreading these, but they actually felt easier, I was getting almost a full range of motion on most of them. I used to barely be able lower myself at all. Split them into 10/10 in each set.

Chin Ups
    x5
    x5
    x3
    - I had this bright idea that I'd magically manage a set of 10 on these. Ha - not so. I've lost my mojo with them.

Pull Ups (blue band assisted)
    x10
    x8
    x8
    x5
    x5

Half DB Get Ups
    10kg/7.5kg x 10 e/s (started with 10 for few reps but was killing me so lowered it)
    7.5kg x 10 e/s
    7.5kg x 5 e/s
    - these really didn't go well.

Left after this, was bored and it was sunny so went for a run, didn't time it or check the distance, just ran - and you know what, I enjoyed it.

Rowing
    200mx10/60 sec breaks
    - the plan for the rowing is the next session 50 secs, then 60sec, then 45 secs, then 60 secs then 40sec, then 60secs and then I test like I would in the spider test - 6x30secs, but with rowing.

40sec
    40sec
    40sec
    40sec
    41sec
    40sec
    41sec
    41sec
    42sec
    43sec

- these felt tough today, but maybe it's just cause I'm used to the 150m. Serious DOMS in my stomach, could feel every pull.

5k Run - 26:54

My time is slower, and was bolloxed by the end of it. Might start running a bit more.

Deadlift
    70kgx5
    70kgx5
    80kgx5
    90kgx5
    90kgx2
    90kgx3x5sets

- Looks like I've somehow slipped back into old habits with the DL. Watched back the vids and I'm holding my form really well up to 80kg, but once I hit 90kg the first rep of each set is a disaster. And the other 2 just smaller disasters. Going to get Will to take a look but I know myself what the problem is, I'm not holding my core tight enough for the first pull and my back is rounding. Serious DOMS today from the ab roll outs so that could be something to do with it. It's been worse in fairness, but it still doesn't look great. I'm guessing my sporatic training/lack of DLing hasn't helped matters either.

Leg Ext
    No. 12 (again, no weight indication on this machine, just numbers)
    10x5sets

Side Bridging
    60secx3

Bench
    20kgx8x2
    30kgx5
    40kgx5
    45kgx3 - wussed out cause had no spotter
    45kgx5
    45kgx5
    45kgx5
    45kgx5

Unsupported Rows

22.5kgx10x5sets
    - couldn't find the 25's

Russian Twists KB

20kgx10x3 e/s

OH Plate Ext

10kgx20x3sets

First session I've enjoyed in a while. The deadlifting wasn't great, but I can see what the problem is now and I fixed it before so I can fix it again.

5k run

26:08

I need to find something new to interest me when I get to Korea.... I thought the new program would entertain me for another while, but my interest is waning. Maybe a martial art or something...I'll see. I was worried I wouldn't find a decent gym but I got talking to a guy who trains over there and he's going to get me set up with this place: http://www.speedandpower.co.kr/newsap/subpage/main.asp - looks half decent :)

I've no specific goals anymore, I've no real drive to lift any heavier or drop any more bodyfat. I mean, it'd be nice, but I'm not overly pushed.

I'll prob change my mind again in a week though!

I've no specific goals anymore, I've no real drive to lift any heavier or drop any more bodyfat. I mean, it'd be nice, but I'm not overly pushed.

I'll prob change my mind again in a week though!

You're really competitive. All you need to do is find something or someone you want to compete against and the training will take of itself.

That..or you've probably changed your mind in the meantime already :D:D

• Advertisement

You're really competitive. All you need to do is find something or someone you want to compete against and the training will take of itself.

This is true... but I used to be happy to compete against myself in the gym, I had my own goals/targets and that in itself motivated me. It doesn't anymore. I'm getting bored. I think part of it is that for a while I was constantly improving and seeing massive changes in my strength/shape, now I've plateau'ed, even gone backwards in some aspects, and I don't have the buzz of a PR or a savage drop in bodyfat to keep me motivated.

Advertisement