Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back on track ....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

G86 wrote: »
    This is true... but I used to be happy to compete against myself in the gym, I had my own goals/targets and that in itself motivated me. It doesn't anymore. I'm getting bored. I think part of it is that for a while I was constantly improving and seeing massive changes in my strength/shape, now I've plateau'ed, even gone backwards in some aspects, and I don't have the buzz of a PR or a savage drop in bodyfat to keep me motivated.

You are crazy, woman! This plateau/regression your talking about...? Your last testing in April was full of improvements and since then..any plateau is going to be attributed to missed sessions, really.

But yeh, your right. If it aint working for you/ your not motivated to train at the moment then find something new that you'll like doing. :)

EDIT:
    Also, the thing that you sometimes forget is..just turn up and train and dont get too caught up with any thing else..it generally just falls into place if you dont over analyse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

gymfreak wrote: »
    You are crazy, woman! This plateau/regression your talking about...? Your last testing in April was full of improvements and since then..any plateau is going to be attributed to missed sessions, really.

But yeh, your right. If it aint working for you/ your not motivated to train at the moment then find something new that you'll like doing. :)

EDIT:
    Also, the thing that you sometimes forget is..just turn up and train and dont get too caught up with any thing else..it generally just falls into place if you dont over analyse.

I know it's just a case of working through and grinding out the sessions, god knows I've given the same advice to people myself enough times - but saying and doing are 2 very different things!

Current plateau is my disaster of a squat since fcuking up my thigh, that and my increasingly disasterous deadlift which has basically gone back to it's pre-IP days once I pull over 90kg. I just don't have any reason to train.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

I know it's just a case of working through and grinding out the sessions, god knows I've given the same advice to people myself enough times - but saying and doing are 2 very different things!

Current plateau is my disaster of a squat since fcuking up my thigh, that and my increasingly disasterous deadlift which has basically gone back to it's pre-IP days once I pull over 90kg. I just don't have any reason to train.

I'm not trying to annoy you into continuing to lift or anything..merely just responding to what your saying.

RE: the squat..there's absolutely nothing wrong with dropping back weights and working up slowly. So start at 20kg, hit depth, video it..watch it back..if its good go to 25kg..when it starts breaking down..stop..and stay there. I know it's what your actually already doing but I think your just missing the point..that its not plateauing..your actually progressing..not progressing weights wise but progressing form wise or confidence wise or whatever is up with your squats.

RE: the deadlift..I know exactly how your feeling:o It sometimes drives me mad pulling the same weight day in day out..but I figure slow and steady wins the race..and I'm just gonna keep at it until it looks easy/better, then the weight will go up a wee bit..and it'll start all over again :) I know you've probably been told all that over and over.

Just remember, everyday is not a record breaker..it's actually consistency that wins out.:D

I'm not trying to annoy you into continuing to lift or anything..merely just responding to what your saying.

You're not annoying me, and I'm not quitting lifting:) - I'm just saying I'm a bit bored with what I'm doing at the moment.
    RE: the squat..there's absolutely nothing wrong with dropping back weights and working up slowly. So start at 20kg, hit depth, video it..watch it back..if its good go to 25kg..when it starts breaking down..stop..and stay there. I know it's what your actually already doing but I think your just missing the point..that its not plateauing..your actually progressing..not progressing weights wise but progressing form wise or confidence wise or whatever is up with your squats.

RE: the deadlift..I know exactly how your feeling:o It sometimes drives me mad pulling the same weight day in day out..but I figure slow and steady wins the race..and I'm just gonna keep at it until it looks easy/better, then the weight will go up a wee bit..and it'll start all over again :) I know you've probably been told all that over and over.

Aye you're right, and I do know all of this myself. But like I said, just a bit bored with it at the mo. You're training for the PL comp, so you have an end goal. I don't have any kind of goal at the moment and I think that's the problem. I could go on a mad low carb buzz and say I want abs, but I'm not bothered enough about my bodyfat to do that. I could say I want to hit a double body weight DL, but considering I'm pulling a nasty as fcuk 90kg it seems pretty pointless to be aiming to hit another PR. I just need to find a reason to train. Maybe I should head to McD's and just to eat my way up to 80kg to give myself a reason! :p

Got blood tests done for Korea there last week. Had my doc in shock as the average female cholestorel level is 5.66, mine is only 3. Also, I'm far from being anaemic as my iron levels are actually higher than normal. So anyone who tries to slag off my veggie diet in future can go get theirs tested and THEN come talk to me.

I'm awesome with my awesome diet.

We'll not mention the squats...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Got blood tests done for Korea there last week. Had my doc in shock as the average female cholestorel level is 5.66, mine is only 3. Also, I'm far from being anaemic as my iron levels are actually higher than normal. So anyone who tries to slag off my veggie diet in future can go get theirs tested and THEN come talk to me.

I'm awesome with my awesome diet.

We'll not mention the squats...

Did he make any comment as to your HDL/LDL ratio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Vegetables are bent.

Hanley wrote: »
    Did he make any comment as to your HDL/LDL ratio?

I'm in perfect health(bar my sinus crap).

However, today I discovered that running is not the answer to my boredom, and that if I ever try to run more than 8k I may actually drop dead, had to slow waaaay down half way through for a few mins as I thought I was actually going to have a heart attack. Feeling a pull on my thigh again too which I'm hoping will disappear promptly.

8k: 44:38

I think I'm better with short distances (which to me is sprints under 5k!).

On another note, thinking about dropping this log for the mo, it's pointless just updating it with everything apart from actual training... (running doesn't count:pac:), and moaning about training... I'm actually boring myself :p

Had a bad day, needed to de-stress, so it was either find someone to punch in the face - or go lift some heavy stuff. Least I've found a motivator....

Deadlift
    70kgx5
    70kgx5
    80kgx5
    80kgx5
    80kgx3/2 - form was slipping so stopped and reset
    80kgx5
    80kgx5
    - this was a safe weight, doesn't feel heavy and I hold my form well. Somehow between this and 90kg I manage to fcuk it up, so I'm going to stick at this for a while and slowly work back up like I did before.

Leg Ext
    No. 12 x 10
    No. 13 x 10
    No. 14 x 10 x 3sets
    (really wish I knew what weight each number was)

Side Bridging

60secx3

Bench
    20kgx8
    30kgx8
    40kgx5
    45kgx5
    45kgx5
    45kgx5
    45kgx5
    45kgx4
    - my spotter kept wrecking my head grabbing the bar, so on the 5th rep I specifically said DO.NOT.HELP.ME. Cue me failing the rep and nearly crushing myself...whilst he just stood looking at me. I guess he took it literally.....

Unsupported Rows e/s
    20kgx10
    22.5kgx10x4sets
    - easy enough.

Russian Twists KB
    24kgx10x3 e/s

OH Plate Ext

10kgx20x3sets

Good session. Got chatting to a guy in there who asked if I'd turned over to the dark side cause he'd seen me running a while back and not seen me since. I used to think I preferred training on my own, but I miss the feedback you get training with other people, and even just having someone about to chat to/slag the odd time in between sets.

Went in all set for a good session this morn, and ended up sitting with an ice pack on my foot instead:( Dropped a damn barbell on it when I was warming up, it's very purple and very sore but I'd say it's just bruised. Might be alright in the morn, hopefully!

• Advertisement

This morning I woke up to learn a valuable lesson....

..the 'whoosh' weightloss factor also works in reverse:o

So, anyways, back in business now. My fatness is motivating me. My current program has only rep and strength sessions, but I really want to get back into doing some conditioning blocks solidly for the next few weeks before Korea, so just did some of the ones from the previous prog today.

Main prob at the moment is my foot is limiting what I can do as I still can't put proper weight on it, I'm kinda walking on my heel all the time! So had to try and adapt some of what I was doing as lunges etc are a no-go. If anyone can help me out with some ideas for upper body cond blocks I'm all ears, I'll check in with Will about it too and see what I can do.

Rowing 10 rounds of 200m/45 sec break
    - not happy with the times at all, they just got progressively slower, bit of a reality check since I was hovering 39/40sec before.
    40sec
    39sec
    41sec
    42sec
    43sec
    43sec
    44sec
    45sec
    46sec
    48sec

Work Block 15min

KB DL 20kg e/s
    Pull Ups Green Band x 5
    KB Press 8kg x 5
    13 rounds in 14:20
    - last time I did this I got 15 rounds, so it wasn't great.

10 rounds (not timed)
    One Arm Rows 20kg x 10
    Floor Bench Press 15kg x 10

- this was meant to be Turkish Get ups, KB Rows and Potato Sack Squat, but my foot was killing me at that stage and couldn't do get ups or the squats; I didn't want to stop after 2 rounds and couldn't think what to replace them with, so I just grabbed to DBs for a floor press.

10 min Cond Block
    KB Swings 16kg

Despite a few probs, it felt good to have decent session, left feeling like I'd actually trained for a change. Back on fitday now for a while too to get the diet straightened up a bit, carbs have been going well over 200g for the last while so want to get them back around 150g.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

Do you think you might be a little too hard on yourself? I mean, I know you say this is a pattern for you, but you are leaving the country and will be exposed to lots of new things. Just thinking about it would leave me a bit restless and roving too.

howtomake wrote: »
    Do you think you might be a little too hard on yourself? I mean, I know you say this is a pattern for you, but you are leaving the country and will be exposed to lots of new things. Just thinking about it would leave me a bit restless and roving too.

Ah no not at all, I'm not at all overwhelmed by the move. This really is just what I do - I train solid for a while, then get bored and moan a bit..til I start getting fat, and then get all motivated again and train solid for another while :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

"The Fat Motivator", sounds like a book to be published.

Went for an X ray there last night, my toe is broken but the rest is just soft tissue damage - thank god, inch lower and I'd have been heading to Korea in a cast!:o

Hot triage nurse said I didn't look like a bodybuilder (after I explained I dropped a barbell on it), I said no I'm more into deadlifting etc.. He laughed, I then asked if I could go still train... He then said 'oh, you're serious?!'. god he was easily impressed. Wouldn't be so impressed if he read this log...

Doc then said to stay clear of the gym, I told her if I did that I wouldn't fit into the plane seat by the time I'm leaving...

She then gave out to me about converse not being proper lifting shoes...

Then the hot triage nurse (dude) came over again asking how much I could squat/deadlift...;)

Then the doc squeezed my toe and made me scream like a girl. I think she was jealous of my flirtation with hot triage dude.

I don't see the harm in training tbh, sure I'm walking on it since Thurs anyway! Plus got some ideas of upper body cond blocks from Paul and Henners. It'll be grand.....

I shall update later....

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

Jeez missus sounds like you are doing a fair amount of damage to yourself.
    Hope you are ok and that its not too sore....:(

Jeez missus sounds like you are doing a fair amount of damage to yourself.
    Hope you are ok and that its not too sore....:(

Ah aye, I'm grand, I'm just a disaster:o Going to try to stop breaking myself for the next while....

10 rounds:
    10 Green Band Pull ups
    10 Single arm DB Press e/s x 10kg
    10 KB Swings x 24kg

Rowing: 150m/45sec rest
    32sec
    32sec
    32sec
    32sec
    32sec
    32sec
    33sec
    33sec
    33sec
    34sec

10 rounds:
    10 DB Floor Press x 15kg
    10 Unsup Rows e/s x 20kg
    10 Sit Ups

10 rounds

KB Swings x 24kg x 10

15 min Work Block
    Chin ups x 5 (4 rounds unassisted, 8 with blue band)
    Press Ups x 10 (these were grand once I just put my weight on my right foot)
    Sit Ups x 10
    12 rounds

Rowing 150m/45sec break

31sec
    32sec
    32sec
    32sec
    33sec
    32sec
    33sec
    32sec
    33sec
    35sec

15min Work Block

Flat DB Bench 15kg x 5
    DB Rows 20kg x 10e/s
    Russian Twists 24kg x 10
    7 rounds
    - the bench was tough enough, strange since I did sets of 10 in the work block yesterday and yet 5 felt hard today. Then again, not so strange considering that I did do it yesterday too....

Rowing 150m/45sec break - pretty wrecked at this stage.
    33sec
    33sec
    33sec
    33sec
    34sec
    34sec
    32sec (dude started rowing beside me so I sped up)
    34sec (turns out dude wasn't very fast)
    34sec
    34sec

I likes this...

gra.jpg

:cool:

• Advertisement

15 min work block
    25kg Push Press x 5
    Chins (green band) x 10
    Hanging Leg Raises x 10
    7 rounds - the leg raises really slowed me down, and my grip was fecked, couldn't hang onto the bar.

Rowing 150m/45sec break
    32sec
    31sec
    31sec
    31sec
    34sec
    33sec
    33sec
    33sec
    33sec
    35sec

- was busting my ass trying to break 31secs but I just can't get it! I'll keep trying!:)

Work Block 15min
    50kg Barbell Rows x 5
    Press Ups x 10
    24kg Side Bends x 10 e/s
    9 rounds
    -surprisingly the side bends were the hardest thing here. My callouses seems to have softened up a bit too, so my hands were stinging a bit and my grip was going - esp on the barbell rows.

Rowing 150m/45sec break
    35sec
    35sec
    36sec
    - then I wised up a bit...
    33sec
    31sec
    32sec
    31sec
    32sec
    33sec
    33sec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

I likes this...

gra.jpg

:cool:

I thought you couldn't OH squat? :cool: waka waka waka :pac: .......

I thought you couldn't OH squat? :cool: waka waka waka :pac: .......
    I was waiting on that one...;)

I can actually...just not with any kind of a decent weight.....

Anyway, I'm being consistent and everything this week - so I'm still awesome!!!:cool:

15 min Work Block
    15min Work Block
    Flat DB Bench 15kg x 5
    DB Rows 20kg x 10e/s
    Russian Twists 24kg x 10
    8 rounds

7 rounds, not timed.

Pull ups x 5 (green band)
    Press Ups x 10
    Sit Ups x 10

Rowers were broke, and the one that was half working was making a big clicking noise and getting kinda stuck with each pull which annoyed the fcuk outta me. So I didn't row.

TBH, wasn't in the mood to train at all...the rower just gave me an excuse.

Picked up my Korea Visa yesterday:D:D

I've been back logging on fitday for the past week and my stomach feels alot leaner already just by keeping a better eye on the carbs again, they really do bloat me up bigtime. I'm sticking in around 150g daily which is grand.

Despite yesterdays fail of a session, it's only Wed, so I'll still fit in 4 decent cond sessions this week :)

Despite yesterdays fail of a session, it's only Wed, so I'll still fit in 4 decent cond sessions this week :)

Famous last words, bit under the weather at the mo.

Diets still in check though. Just found out the gym I'm going to join in Seoul is like minutes from my apartment! Apparently there's a few youtube vids on it too, going to have a look tonight! I found this info about it online too:

'SAP (Speed and Power) is near Konkuk University station, and it's your kind of place if you want to lift heavy. It's a Crossfit/powerlifting gym: power racks, tires for flipping, chains, ergometers, glute/ham raises, kettlebells, that kind of thing. I only go there once a week, so I buy day passes, but I believe a membership is 70,000 won/month. '

Oh and

'Went to SAP this morning, joined today, worked out tonight. If you like to wear your own clothes (shirts apparently optional) and get down and dirty wen you lift, this is your place. Chains, olympic rings, and rope to climb.. . Hours are from 6:00a-11:00p and it's 70,000 won/month. If you sign up for ..6 months? you get an additional 10 days free. Showers and locker rooms are minimal facilities, didn't see an actual toilet when I was there. '

Sounds perfect! 70,000 won is about €45 Their 'shower and locker room facilities' seem very similar to IP:p So I'm sure I'll feel right at home! hahaha. I especially like the 'shirts optional' part.....

Oooh so excited!

Sounds perfect! 70,000 won is about €45 Their 'shower and locker room facilities' seem very similar to IP:p So I'm sure I'll feel right at home! hahaha. I especially like the 'shirts optional' part.....

Oooh so excited!
    Hope the place isn't full of skinny asian dudes then:pac:

When are you off?

Hope the place isn't full of skinny asian dudes then:pac:

When are you off?

I'm not too far from a US Army base...... ;)

Off on the 25th!

I'm not too far from a US Army base...... ;)

Off on the 25th!
    Ah ok, so possibility of lots of hot army types to ogle:pac:

• Advertisement

Seems they have a prowler...

Advertisement