Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back on track ....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

Sounds like you'll land on your feet & you did a good bit of research. I'm kinda jealous:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

howtomake wrote: »
    Sounds like you'll land on your feet & you did a good bit of research. I'm kinda jealous:D

Ha yeah I've been googling left right and centre!

I actually mailed a guy about his blog last week who trained in SAP for some info on rates etc., and he forwarded my mail on to a girl who trains there. She got in touch with me there yesterday and looks like I've a training partner already! :) She's the only female there apart from one or two locals who train with PT's, and she does SS as well as Oly/Conditioning work. You never know, I could be converted to Olympic lifting yet;)

She said most of the guys there do CF/Oly Lifting/MMA and that the equipment is so good that she travels an hour both ways to train there. Prowler/bands/benches/platform/rowers/racks, and no machines. Sounds awesome:D

Going to start doing what I'm told again...
    S1

Squats
    20kgx5
    20kgx5
    30kgx5
    30kgx5
    35kgx5
    40kgx5
    40kgx2
    40kgx3
    - switched to front squats
    40kgx3x3

- Got a sharp pull/pain on my dodgy quad in the middle of the squats. It's still at me now. Depth went to complete sh1t once I got to 40kg, COH was saying I need to warm up more, which is true, I've just been picking and choosing bits of the warm up really:o

Leg Curls
    There aren't any weight markers on this machine, just numbers, so not sure on the weight
    No.5 x 8 - this hurt, alot, so lowered down to level 2 for the rest.
    No.2 x12x4

Bridging
    30secsx3

Barbell Row

40kgx5
    50kgx5
    60kgx5x5 - happy out.

Flat Bench Press
    15kgx10x5

KB Side Arches e/s

24kgx10x3sets

Bicep Curls (seated)
    10kgx10x3

So to recap:
    • First IP closed and I moaned about that...
    • Then Will told me to stick with the prog for a while and I moaned about the conditioning...
    • Then he gave me a new prog with just strength and rep work
    • Then I moaned about the lack of conditioning
    • Then I didn't follow the prog and got fat, and then decided I was just doing conditioning (because of my freak out regarding imminent obesity)
    • Then I broke my toe
    • Then I was restricted to rowing and upper body conditioning
    • Then I got bored with not lifting heavy
    • Now I'm back doing what I was told to do in the first place.... :p

I've a big grin on my face! I just got a mail from a boardsie who got inspired to start lifting from following my log, and has started weight training, KB classes, and dropped 2 dress sizes in 5 months! That's amazing!! Messages like that are really motivating and it's really nice to hear that someones getting something from my logging - even if it's not so regular these days!

Anyways, I want to say a massive well done to her, and a thanks for the kick up the ass her mail has given me :)

DOM'ed out of it today, man I missed that feeling!

Warm Up x3

Reverse Lunges x 10 e/s
    Horizontal Face Pulls x 10
    Leg Swings x 10
    Scap Push Ups x 10
    Overs and Unders x 10 e/s
    Hurdle Steps x 10 e/s
    YTW x5 of each

R2 - All sets done with 60sec breaks between reps.

Leg Press (High)
    60kgx10
    70kgx10x5sets
    - savage quad DOMS today so these were tough going. I like them though.

Ab Roll Outs
    10 x 5sets

Pull Ups (Green Band)

x10
    x10
    x10
    x10
    x5/3/2

DB Incline Fly

10kg x 10 x 5sets

Half DB Get ups
    - found these pretty hard today.
    7.5kg left side x 10
    5kg right side x 10 - I knew I wouldn't get through it with the 7.5
    5kg x 10 e/s x 2

Seated Bicep Curls
    10kg x 5 x 10

- wondering if it makes much difference if I do thes or Preacher curls... Curls are curls right? Wasn't sure what I was at with the preacher curls, my mind was a blank. I'll youtube them for next time.

Then did some extra conditioning:
    Rower
    150m/30sec break
    34sec
    32sec
    33sec
    33sec
    32sec
    32sec
    34sec
    33sec
    34sec
    35sec

My legs were literally buckling under me on the walk home:o But I've learned
    3 things from this:

1. Walking heel first makes the stabbing pain in your quads less stabby
    2. I don't think I usually walk heel first as this felt weird, guess I walk kinda flat footed.
    3. Walking like you've 2 wooden legs also helps, aka walking with your hips, however bear in mind that this also gives you something resembling a hooker hip wiggle.

Good session!

• Advertisement

Pretty sore and tired today, so pretty much just went through the motions to get my sh1t done and get home.

Usually if I'm that wrecked before training I'd just grab a can of Monster, it's a miracle worker... but my skin is flared up at the mo so caffeine is off the menu for a while. Bah!

Warm Up x3
    Reverse Lunges x 10 e/s
    Leg Swings x 10
    Scap Push Ups x 10
    Overs and Unders - nowhere free to do these
    Hurdle Steps x 10 e/s - same
    YTW x5 of each

Deadlift
    70kgx5
    70kgx5

80kgx5
    70kgx5x4sets
    - my quads are still in bits so these hurt like hell, and my legs were dead shaky, so I figured it was better to stay light.

Leg Ext
    No.12
    10x5sets

Side Bridging
    30secs x 3 e/s

DB Bench Press- did a DB bench press instead, as there was nowhere free.
    15kgx5x5

Unsup One Arm Rows (instead of cable ones)
    20kgx10x3

Russian Twist
    24kgx10x3

OH Plate Ext
    10khx20x3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

G86 wrote: »
    Usually if I'm that wrecked before training I'd just grab a can of Monster, it's a miracle worker... but my skin is flared up at the mo so caffeine is off the menu for a while. Bah!

Do you think those caffeine drinks actually make a difference? I'm just curious..have never tried any of them..and I don't even drink coffee!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

gymfreak wrote: »
    Do you think those caffeine drinks actually make a difference? I'm just curious..have never tried any of them..and I don't even drink coffee!!

Please never go anywhere near caffeine. It would be unbearable.

gymfreak wrote: »

Aye they defo do. I don't drink coffee either, but that Monster Lo carb serously does the job. Damn eczema.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Hanley wrote: »
    Please never go anywhere near caffeine. It would be unbearable.
    LOL...that's why I've stayed away from them thus far:D
    G86 wrote:
    Aye they defo do. I don't drink coffee either, but that Monster Lo carb serously does the job. Damn eczema.
    Hmmmm...interesting..

• Advertisement

5k run
    27:48

Sh1t time, had a friend with me which kinda slowed me down a bit.

Not swaying from the program, so not counting this as training really, doing R1 tomorrow and that'll be the 4 done. I'll start off next week with Sunday then. Finish work next Fri and fairly busy that weekend, in Donegal then for the week, and then off to Korea - so next week will be my last proper week of training before I go. Was talking to the guy who owns the gym I'm joining and he's going to get me set up as soon as I get over:)

I've discovered Soy Protein - it's seriously yummy!! I freaking wish I tried it earlier, it's way nicer than the whey! :) Didn't want to fork out on a full tub of whey when I'm heading off soon, and the soy was cheaper as it's out of date so just took it instead.

Warm Up x 2
    Reverse Lunges x 10e/s
    Leg Swings x 10
    Scap Push ups x 10
    Overs and Unders x 10
    Hurdle Steps x 10
    YTW x 5 of each

I'm meant to take a 60sec rest between sets in the Rep sessions, but I just realised that I only really take that amount of rest anyway! So I shortened it down for a few exercises.

R1

Deadlifts 60 sec rest
    70kgx6 - my grip went so reset and started again.
    70kgx10x5sets

Step Ups 60 sec rest
    10x5sets
    -I'm finding these hard, even without weight, especially as I'm trying to step up off my heel. It's weird, they really shouldn't be that difficult.

KB Side Arches 10 sec rest - I find these easy so I didn't bother with a rest time. Just realised it was meant to be 5 sets though.

24kgx10x3sets

Bench Press
    60sec rest
    20kgx12
    20kgx12
    35kgx10x5 sets

Unsup One Arm Rows
    30 sec rest
    20kgx10x5 e/s

OH Tricep Press 20 sec rest - again, not hard, so didn't take the 60 secs.
    EZ bar (7kg I think)
    12kgx10
    17kgx10 - my elbows were sticking out way too far.
    12kgx10
    12kgx10
    12kgx10
    - just realised last time I did this I mixed it up with the Tri Ext. So was my first time doing it today. The 17kg didn't feel heavy -just awkward. Also, my right elbow sticks way out in every set, I actually couldn't get it to just go straight back and up I'm sure there's a reason for that... maybe something to do with my crap wrist flexilibity in the front squats...

Wasn't too gassed after that, so did some conditioning:

Rowing 150m/30sec rest
    31sec
    31sec
    32sec
    32sec
    33sec
    33sec
    33sec
    33sec
    32sec
    31sec

Still can't get under that 31sec on the rower.

Also, forgot the leg raises, I'll stick them in next session!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

All the excitement I've missed on your log. I think moaning is just part of the process for some (ie like me). That's great about the lovely PM you got. What soy are you drinking?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Caffeine gives you eczema?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Caffeine gives you eczema?

Not sure about that, but it makes it worse as it dehydrates you and dries out your skin. As for the Monster stuff, I'm trying to figure out what started it off and I developed the eczema around the same time I started drinking it, so I've cut it out for now. My skins getting better since I stopped, but I'm using a new steroid cream for it too so it's hard to know if the caffeine really had much effect.

I'm using [...] steroid(s)

Juice head.

I really worked on the squats today and got a few decent depth ones, despite a few hits and misses, my hips felt alot more flexible than usual. I focused on keeping my knees pointed outwards and it really helped me drop down more.

Warm Up
    x3
    Reverse Lunges x 10e/s
    Scap Push ups x 10
    Overs and Unders x 10e/s
    Hurdle Steps x 10e/s
    YTW x 5 of each
    -forgot the damn leg swings, knew I forgot something.
    S1

Squats
    20kgx5
    20kgx5
    30kgx5
    30kgx5
    30kgx5
    35kgx5
    35kgx5
    35kgx3
    35kgx5
    40kgx3
    - started to get a bit shallow once I hit 40kg
    40kgx3
    40kgx2 +1 x Fail
    -normally I'd get pissed off and quit them after failing, but today I just dropped down the weight and kept going, and I was glad I did :)

35kgx5
    - I think this was the best depth I got in the session, and it felt dead easy which is mad considering I was just after failing. I felt like I had more of a 'bounce' to get me back up from the squat if that makes sense.
    35kgx5
    35kgx4
    35kgx5
    35kgx3
    - kept getting a cramp in my foot, it's the same foot where my toes broken but that's not sore at all now so I dont' think it's anything to do with that. The bruising is still a bit sore, but that's on the top of my foot and it's cramping underneath. I've got it before a few times too, even when I was younger I remember getting it, be interested to know what's causing it.

Leg Curls
    There aren't any weight markers on this machine, just numbers, so not sure on the weight
    No.4 x 10
    No.5 x 10
    No.5 x 10
    No.5 x 8
    No. 4 x 8
    - these started getting hard on the last 2 sets.

Bridging
    60secs
    45secs
    30secs

Flat Bench Press
    15kgx10x5
    - These are easy enough til the last set, grinded out the last rep. I'd say I could get 5 sets of 5 with the 17.5's, but should prob stick to the 15's til I can get 10.

Barbell Row
    50kgx10x2sets
    60kgx5x5sets

KB Side Arches e/s
    24kgx10x3sets

Bicep Curls (seated)

12.5kgx8
    12.5kgx8
    12.5kgx8
    12.5kgx8
    12.5kgx6
    - usually use 10kg's but couldn't find them so went for 12.5's and sets of 8 instead of 10.

Felt like a good session despite the fail on the squats.

howtomake wrote: »
    All the excitement I've missed on your log. I think moaning is just part of the process for some (ie like me). That's great about the lovely PM you got. What soy are you drinking?

It's Optimum Nutrition, same brand I get the whey from. Tastes lovely! Hoping I'll be able to find something similar in SK.

Warm Up x 3
    Reverse Lunges x 10e/s
    Band Pulls x 10
    Leg Swings x 10
    Scap Push ups x 10
    Overs and Unders x 10e/s
    Hurdle Steps x 10e/s
    YTW x 5 of each

R2
    Leg Press
    60kgx12x2
    70kgx10
    75kgx10
    80kgx10
    85kgx10
    90kgx10

Reverse Lunges e/s
    15kgx10
    15kgx10
    15kgx10
    12.5kgx10
    12.5kgx10

Ab Roll Outs
    10x5sets

Chin Ups&Pull Ups

Chins Green Band
    12x2sets
    Chins Unassisted x5/ Blue Band x5

Pull Ups Green Band
    10x5sets

DB Incline Fly
    10kgx10x5sets

Half DB Get Ups
    5kgx3X10/10

Seated Bicep Curls
    10kgx10x4sets
    10kgx6 - agh, dunno what happened here :/

A guy in the gym told me I look 'very serious' when I'm training lately, he's probably just surprised to see me actually training.......:p

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

It's Optimum Nutrition, same brand I get the whey from. Tastes lovely! Hoping I'll be able to find something similar in SK.

I know that in Thailand whey was harder to get and more expensive than I expected. Someone said that this was due to the low dairy diet ... I dunno if that really makes sense (and if SK and Thailand have all that much in common that way) but it might be worth googling to check whey prices over there and maybe bringing a kilo over if its pricey...

• Advertisement

hooplah wrote: »
    I know that in Thailand whey was harder to get and more expensive than I expected. Someone said that this was due to the low dairy diet ... I dunno if that really makes sense (and if SK and Thailand have all that much in common that way) but it might be worth googling to check whey prices over there and maybe bringing a kilo over if its pricey...

Ah cool thanks! I can get the whey through my new gym I'd say, but I'd rather the soy one I have at the mo as it's way yummier :) Can't really afford the extra luggage to be carrying any over!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

This is the site for buying any kind of supplement in Korea.

http://www.healthkoreaus.com/

They've got a pretty good selection. I know it's in Korean (get used to not being able to read anything) but you can drop him an email and he's got some English. Once you get there get one of your coworkers to help you out with the ordering. Women who lift weights are about as common as North Koreans in South Korea, so expect to be asked a lot of questions! Delivery takes about 2 days if he has it in stock. Let me know if I can help.

edit: I saw you're using optimum soy protein so I had a look. Is it
    this one?

If it is you're looking at about 16-17EUR a kilo delivered.

DamienH wrote: »
    This is the site for buying any kind of supplement in Korea.

http://www.healthkoreaus.com/

They've got a pretty good selection. I know it's in Korean (get used to not being able to read anything) but you can drop him an email and he's got some English. Once you get there get one of your coworkers to help you out with the ordering. Women who lift weights are about as common as North Koreans in South Korea, so expect to be asked a lot of questions! Delivery takes about 2 days if he has it in stock. Let me know if I can help.

edit: I saw you're using optimum soy protein so I had a look. Is it
    this one?

If it is you're looking at about 16-17EUR a kilo delivered.

Cool thanks a mil fpr that! I think I can get it through my gym over there, but I'll definitely try the site if not!:)

Warm Up x3
    Reverse Lunges x 10 e/s
    Scap Push Ups x 10
    Overs and Unders e/s
    Hurdle Steps x 10 e/s
    YTW x5 of each

All listed as sets x reps

Deadlift
    70kgx8
    70kgx8
    80kgx5

85kg 8x3reps

- I was going to do 5x5, but the third rep felt a bit dodgy in the first set so decided to go for 8 sets of 3 instead.

Leg Ext
    No.12 x 10
    No.16 x 10
    No.16 x 10
    No.18 x 10
    No.18 x 10
    - I still don't know what weight each number represents on that yoke, but it only goes up to 20. I'm also wondering what the purpose of it is after reading one of Hanleys posts, if it's a quad exercise and I'm quad dominant (or was?), should I not be doing more hamstring work instead? I'm sure theres reasoning behind it...going to pick Wills brains about it.

Side Bridging
    60secs x 3 e/s

Bench Press
    20kgx10
    20kgx10
    30kgx5
    40kgx5
    45kgx5

47.5kgx4
    47.5kgx4
    47.5kgx4
    47.5kgx4
    47.5kgx5 - different spotter for this one and he kept grabbing the bar so not counting it as a proper x5.
    -
    was going for 5x5 on this, but still happy enough since as 1rm was 50kg last time I tested.

Unsup One Arm Rows (instead of cable ones)
    20kgx10
    22.5kgx10
    25kgx10
    27.5kgx10
    27.5kgx10

Russian Twist
    24kgx3x10reps

OH Plate Ext

15kgx20/15/15

Trained my ass off tonight, and nailed a few toe to bar Hanging Leg Raises too:D:D

Warm Up
    - slightly modified because I had no free bar to do the hurdles or overs and unders, so swapped in something else.

Reverse Lunges x 10 e/s
    Scap Push Ups x 10
    Squats x 10(there's another name for this...was in my old warm up, kinda like walking squats?! It makes sense in my head...)
    Groin Rotation x 10
    YTW x5 of each

R1
    (60sec btw sets)

Deadlifts
    70kgx5x10reps
    - these felt solid today.

Step Ups e/s
    x10
    x10x10kg
    x10x10kg
    x10x10kg
    x10
    - did these on a lower box today (thanks COH)and they were a good bit easier. Still tough enough but managed a few sets with weight. My lower back seems to get tight when I'm doing them, I kind of lean too far forward - which is prob a quad thing again - ala with my squat too. I think.... or maybe I'm talking ****e!

KB Side Arches
    28kgx10x3sets
    - upped these by 4kg today because I'd been finding them easy. I LOVE these, my obliques always feel really tight after doing them.

Bench Press
    20kgx12
    20kgx12

40kgx10
    40kgx10
    40kgx10
    40kgx10
    40kgx8
    -these felt great! It's the first time ever in my benching that every single rep felt solid. I managed to hold my whole core dead tight through each set and I even started to feel it in my quads from the pressure going to my legs! They actually felt easy! I should have grabbed a spotter for the last set, I'd say I could have got the last 2 if I went for it.

Unsup One Arm Rows

25kgx10
    22.5kgx10
    22.5kgx110
    22.5kgx10
    22.5kgx10

Hanging Leg Raises
    x5 - toe to bar :D
    X3 T2B, x 3, x 4
    x2 t2b, x 6, x 2
    x5/5 - crappy knee ones
    x5/2/3
    these were broken down because my arms were fcuked an I kept losing my grip.

OH Tricep Press

EZ bar (7kg I think)
    12kgx10
    12kgx10
    12kgx10
    12kgx10
    12kgx10
    - easy enough

Conditioning Block 15min
    Burpeesx10
    Push Upsx10
    Sit Ups x10

10 rounds

press ups slowed me down here, started failing on the second round.

Look at the structure of your last two sessions...

Hamstring
    Quad
    Upper push
    Upper pull
    Core
    Arms

There IS structure there.

Hanley wrote: »
    Look at the structure of your last two sessions...

Hamstring
    Quad
    Upper push
    Upper pull
    Core
    Arms

There IS structure there.
    Aye I know, not sure what you mean? I didn't say there wasn't?

Edit. Oh hang on are ya talking about the leg extensions?

Aye I know, not sure what you mean? I didn't say there wasn't?

Edit. Oh hang on are ya talking about the leg extensions?

No... I'm saying there's already a good amount of hamstring work there!

I think banging the protein shakes into me is making a big difference to my energy levels, I've upped my protein intake by about 70kg a day now so it's sitting at about 140/150g which is just over 2g per kg of bodyweight. Not as hungry, not as tired, and I've definitely got a bit leaner.

Diets usually falling between 1750/1900 kcals, and averaging out at 40% Fat, 30% Protein, 30% Carbs. It'd prob be better if it was 40% protein and 30% fat but sure it's a big improvement on 60% carbs, and it's all healthy fats from nuts etc. If I wasn't eating nuts my kcal intake would only be about 1300:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I've upped my protein intake by about 70kg a day now

That's a lot of protein to be taking in a day... Must cost you a fortune.

Advertisement