Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back on track ....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

That's a lot of protein to be taking in a day... Must cost you a fortune.

Not really, just 2 protein shakes a day (50g) and a bit more protein in my normal diet added in too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

G86 wrote: »
    Not really, just 2 protein shakes a day (50g) and a bit more protein in my normal diet added in too.

Whoooosh :D

Hanley wrote: »
    Whoooosh :D

Good whoosh or bad whoosh?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

I've upped my protein intake by about 70kg a day

cough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

so much fail.

• Advertisement

Ahh I see.

Thanks Damien:p

I've had a pretty mental week as I leave on Mon morning, was home in Donegal for a few days too, so no real training done apart from a bit of running.

My diets been sh1t hot the past few weeks if I do say so myself though, so I'm feeling pretty lean at the mo, and feeling pretty deadly about it too;) Whatever about fatnness being a motivator, this is a way better one!

Weight is down to 69.1kg as of today, which is the lightest I've been in a long time - I normally hover around 70/72kg. I've no way of checking my skinfolds, but I'm pretty sure my BF has gone in the same direction.

Now I just have to concentrate on not getting fat in Korea:p The gym over there is like a Korean IP - it looks savage, dying to check it out.

Wanted to get in a session before I go

Warm Up x3
    Reverse Lunges x 10e/s
    Leg Swings x 10
    Scap Push ups x 10
    Overs and Unders x 10e/s
    Groin Rotation x 10e/s
    YTW x 5 of each

S1

Squats
    20kgx8
    20kgx8
    30kgx5
    30kgx5
    35kgx5
    35kgx5
    40kgx5
    40kgx5
    40kgx5
    40kgx3
    40kgx4
    - was getting good depth on these up til the second last set, then they just started feeling 'off'. Switched to a few front squats with the empty bar to finish off.
    Front Squats
    20kgx3x8reps

Leg Curls
    There aren't any weight markers on this machine, just numbers, so not sure on the weight
    No.5 5x10reps

Reverse Lunges - These shouldn't be here, I was training from memory cause I forgot my notebook, and somehow thought I was meant to do them today, doh.
    10kgx5x10reps e/s

Bridging
    60secs
    60secs
    45secs

Flat Bench Press
    15kgx2x8reps
    17.5kgx5x5

Barbell Row
    50kgx10x2sets
    60kgx5
    65kgx5
    65kgx5
    65kgx4
    60kgx5
    60kgx5

KB Side Arches e/s
    28kgx5x10reps - love these:D

Bicep Curls (seated)
    12.5kgx5x8reps

Joined SAP - Speed and Power gym today, it's really well equipped but REALLY warm! I've never seen as many topless guys in the one place! It's a weight lifting and powerlifting gym, but also a crossfit affiliate which is prob why they have such a range of equip. You don't have to join the CF part though, so I'm just paying 70,000 won a month for the gym which is grand. The coach in there said he'd order ON protein for me online too which was dead sound, as the sites in Korean so I don't have a clue!

Anyways, forgot my notepad today, and only realised after I started deadlifting. Couldn't remember exactly what I was at with the program, and had the squat prog on my phone so I just went with it for the remainder. So this is basically S2 with deadlifting instead, and and normal bench instead of a flat bench.

Chin Ups - I was showing off here - I admit it. I was the only bloody girl training there, had to make my mark!;) Although, 6 chin ups doesn't say much...
    x6
    x5
    x3
    x3
    x3
    x3

Deadlift
    70kgx2x5reps
    80kgx8x3reps

Reverse Lunges

10kgx5x10reps

Bridging

60secs
    60secs
    45secs

Bench Press
    20kgx8
    20kgx8
    40kgx5x5 - felt heavy :/

Barbell Row
    50kgx2x10reps
    60kgx5
    65kgx5
    65kgx5
    65kgx5
    65kgx5
    60kgx5

KB Side Arches e/s
    24kgx5x10reps - couldn't find the 28kg

Bicep Curls (seated)

12.5kgx5x8reps

15min Conditioning:
    10 Burpees
    10 Press ups
    10 Sit ups

9 rounds

- I don't know if it's the heat or what but I feel WAY out of shape. Dying to get these protein shakes as the carbs here are killing me, it's not hard to be a veggie here..but it's very easy to be a fat veggie! There's bloody bread everywhere!

Looking forward to training with the other chick who trains there, she's on hols at the mo for 2 more weeks.

Anyways gotta leg it for the damn subway, takes me like half an hour to get here - bit like my old trek to IP, annoying but worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

;) Whatever about fatnness being a motivator, this is a way better one!

Yeah and Pavlo & Skinner (I think Pavlo:confused:) always stated that positive reinforcement was better than negative.

Glad you made it there safely.

• Advertisement

SAP gym is freaking class!!:D I'll have to take a vid of it soon to show you guys around. There's some guys pulling some savage weight in there, and there's always some kind of an Oly class on too, they do gymnastic classes and everything. I was chatting to a guy in there today and he was telling me that it's famous in Seoul as all of the athletes train there, and it's the only gym of it's kind. It's pretty damn cool, and the coaches are so sound.

Warm Up

Reverse Lunges x 10 e/s
    Leg Swings x 10
    Horizontal Face Pulls x 10
    Scap Push Ups x 10
    Overs ands Unders x 10
    Hurdle Steps x 10
    YTW x5 of each

R1
    (60sec btw sets)

Deadlifts
    70kgx5x10reps

Step Ups e/s
    x10
    x10x10kg
    x10x10kg
    x10x10kg
    x10x10kg
    - my knee is turning in when I do these, just noticed in the mirror today, trying to straighten it out but it's not really working.

KB Side Arches
    24kgx10x3sets

Bench Press

20kgx12
    20kgx12

40kgx10
    40kgx8
    35kgx10
    35kgx10
    35kgx10
    - felt heavy today, so dropped down to hit the reps.

Unsup One Arm Rows
    20kgx5x10

Hanging Leg Raises
    5x10

OH Tricep Ext

10kgx5x10

Rowing 150m
    31sec
    31sec
    32sec
    33sec
    32sec
    32sec
    33sec
    33sec
    33sec
    34sec

Warm Up x3
    Reverse Lunges x 10e/s
    Leg Swings x 10
    Scap Push ups x 10
    Overs and Unders x 10e/s
    Hurdle Steps x 10e/s
    YTW x 5 of each

S1

Squats
    20kgx5
    20kgx5
    30kgx5
    30kgx5
    30kgx5
    35kgx5
    35kgx5
    40kgx5x3reps

GHR's
    -there isn't a leg curl machine in the gym, so I figured these would do for a hamstring exercise.

5kgx5x10reps
    -these hurt my leg alot whenever I pressed my quad against the pad, guess it's not completely mended.

Bridging

60secs
    45secs
    30secs

Flat Bench Press

15kgx2x10reps
    15kgx5x15reps
    - DBs jump from 15kg to 20kg so there's no 17,5. So I did higher reps to compensate as the 15's were pretty easy.

Barbell Row

50kgx5
    60kgx5
    60kgx5
    50kgx5
    50kgx5

KB Side Arches e/s
    24kgx3x10reps

Bicep Curls
    13kgx10
    13kgx10
    13kgx10
    13kgx9
    13kgx8

Rowing 150m x 10

Was chatting to the coach in the gym again today, and he was all impressed with Wills prog:) He's asked if they can video my squat and deadlift next time for the website over here, so that'll be interesting... He's offered to help me out with my technique anytime I'm stuck as well which is cool, especially since I know training from him costs a fortune if you're paying! I really did land on my feet over here:)

Warm Up x 3
    Reverse Lunges x 10e/s
    Band Pulls x 10
    Leg Swings x 10
    Scap Push ups x 10
    Overs and Unders x 10e/s
    Hurdle Steps x 10e/s
    YTW x 5 of each

R2
    60secs btw reps

No leg press so did front squats instead
    Front Squat
    20kgx10
    20kgx10

30kgx10
    35kgx8
    30kgx10
    30kgx10
    30kgx10
    - front squats are starting to feel easier than back squats, like I'm sinking proper low with them, pretty much A2G - which is lower than I ever get with back squats!

Reverse Lunges e/s
    15kgx10
    15kgx10
    15kgx10
    15kgx10
    15kgx10

Ab Roll Outs

10x5sets

Chin Ups&Pull Ups

Chins
    x5
    x4
    x3

Pull Ups(Band Assisted)
    10x3sets

DB Incline Fly
    7kgx10
    10kgx10x5sets

Half DB Get Ups
    6kgx3X10/10

Bicep Curls
    10kgx10x5sets
    - was going to go for the 13's again but my arms felt weak today :/

Oh and I tried to climb the rope...and only got up about 2 pulls:o There has to be an easier way by using your legs or something though, I just tried pulling myself up with my arms - fail!

The bar's in a better position on front squats when it comes to getting depth, you probably should be able to get lower than with back squats on them. So sounds good!

Warm Up x3
    Reverse Lunges x 10 e/s
    Scap Push Ups x 10
    Overs and Unders e/s
    Hurdle Steps x 10 e/s
    YTW x5 of each

So...my deadlift has gone a bit backwards again. Once I hit 80kg my hips are going up too quick and I'm rounding my shoulders a bit. And again, the main prob is with the first rep. Eddie (the coach), said they aren't too bad, but I'm definitely not holding my arch on all the reps. I'll record them next session so I can see for myself, but I could pretty much feel it myself today when I did a lousy rep.

On another note, it actually feels alot harder to lift when I pull my shoulders back.

Deadlift
    60kgx10

70kgx5
    70kgx5
    80kgx3
    80kgx5
    80kgx5
    80kgx3
    80kgx3

lowered to 60kg and did a few x5's,x3's and singles to work on adjustments to my form to see what worked. I widened my stance on the last set and it felt alot better, so I'll definitely try that next session.

It's really really frustrating because I know I should be lifting heavier, I've just lost my mojo:mad:

Lunges - no leg ext machine
    15kg e/s x5x10

Side Bridging
    30secs x 3 e/s

Bench Press
    20kgx10
    20kgx10
    30kgx5
    40kgx5x5
    - benching feels harder lately, I think I'm just not used to the new bench - you can't adjust the height so it's kind of awkward.

Unsup One Arm Rows
    20kgx5x10reps
    - need to up the weight on these again, just realised I was using 25/27.5's a few weeks ago - oops. They're easy enough in fairness.

Russian Twist
    24kgx3x10reps

OH Plate Ext
    15kgx3x20

Warm Up x3
    Reverse Lunges x 10 e/s
    Scap Push Ups x 10
    Overs and Unders e/s
    Hurdle Steps x 10 e/s
    YTW x5 of each

Adding in more cond work, so new sequence will be Strength/Cond/Rep.

Diet wise, it's been tricky enough being veggie over here and my carb intake definitely went up a bit. But I'm in more of a routine now of knowing where to shop for food, and my protein powder arrived today too, so I'll get the carbs in line again now. Weight has gone up to 72.6kg and I know it's fat, hence the extra conditioning work. Sub 72kg is my happy place.

15 min Workblock
    KB Deadlift 24kg e/s x5
    DB Press 10kg e/s x10
    Unsup One Arm Row 20kg x10
    9 rounds

Rowing- going to have more structure, so distance is up to 200m, rests will be 60,50,60,45,60,40,60..and test at 30secs for 6 rounds, like the spider test.
    200m x 10 /60sec breaks
    - crashed and burned a bit halfway through, I find 200m tougher, esp trying to keep the same pace. It's like my default setting is 150m, I'm so used to it now.

15 Min Workblock

Flat DB Bench 15kge/s x 5
    Press Ups x 10
    Sit Ups x 10
    9 rounds
    - press ups slowed me down a bit at the end.

Cond. Block 10 mins
    16kg KB Swings 30sec on/30sec off
    10 rounds
    25swings/30secs

Was banjaxed by the end of this, it's a bit of a trek home too so was glad to land on the couch! Good session though.

Got further up the rope today too :) I can pull myself up a fair bit with my arms now, it's just a case of getting the legs part working right!

Warm Up

Reverse Lunges x 10 e/s
    Leg Swings x 10
    Scap Push Ups x 10
    Overs ands Unders x 10
    Hurdle Steps x 10 - the highest I can put the bar for these without having to twist my whole hip around is knee level...but at least I'm doing them without the big massive twist now though...YTW x5 of each

R1
    (60sec btw sets)

Deadlifts
    60kgx2x10reps

70kgx5x10reps
    -worked on holding my arch.

Step Ups e/s
    x10
    x10x10kg
    x10x10kg
    x10x10kg
    x10x10kg

KB Side Arches

24kgx10x3sets

Bench Press
    20kgx12
    20kgx12

35kgx5x10reps
    - moved a tiny bit further down the bench on the third set and suddenly the reps started flying up. Now I know why my bench was feeling heavy! Back up to 40kg again next time :)

Unsup One Arm Rows
    25kgx5x10

Hanging Leg Raises
    5x10

OH Tricep Ext
    10kgx3x20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Diet wise, it's been tricky enough being veggie over here and my carb intake definitely went up a bit.

A mate, who was vegetarian, now vegan, went over 4 years ago for a year. He lived on donuts for 10 days before he threw in the towel and came on back. So fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

I wish this country was as meat-errific as S. Korea sounds like.

A mate, who was vegetarian, now vegan, went over 4 years ago for a year. He lived on donuts for 10 days before he threw in the towel and came on back. So fair play.

It's definitely not easy, I'm a vegetarian- not a vegan, but at the same time I don't actually drink milk or eat eggs or cheese....so I'm kind of a hybrid! I've managed to avoid the Paris Baguettes that are bloody everywhere though and I've a few staples like oatmeal, broccolli, nuts, beans, salads... I can't find veg soup anywhere though. Thank god for Protein Powder though or I'd be screwed. There's pasta here, but I try to avoid that too so it's a no-go. I'll definitely appreciate the food in Ireland more when I get back...I miss my stir fry with chilli sauce!!!!

There are some vegan and veggie restaurants here though which is great when you need a good feed! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Great to see ya back in the swing of training G! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

What about fish? Surely there would be loads of fresh fish to come by?

What about fish? Surely there would be loads of fresh fish to come by?

I'm going to assume you're taking the piss.....

Vegetarians eat vegetables, they don't eat meat, fish or chicken. They don't eat animals fullstop.

Pescetarians don't eat meat but they eat fish.

I'm a vegetarian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

I'm going to assume you're taking the piss.....

Vegetarians eat vegetables, they don't eat meat, fish or chicken. They don't eat animals fullstop.

Pescetarians don't eat meat but they eat fish.

I'm a vegetarian.

I actually wasnt. And I am well aware of the difference I lived with a pescetarian for long enough. I just asked because I know alot of people call themselves vegetarians and still eat fish without getting into the semantics of definitions of non meat eaters.

Had a savage time training today and got loads of help! :) Eddie gave me his tripod to record my squats, so I'll upload the vids once he sends them to me later.

A guy came over to give me some advice on my squat, and basically ended up coming over witht advice through my whole workout.. I've seen him training in there before and he looks like he knows his stuff, so I decided there was no harm in listening and then figuring it out later... So, I'm going to write up his comments, and if anyone has any input feel free to share!

Also, 'dude' has a name, I just can't write it in English!

Warm Up x3
    Reverse Lunges x 10e/s
    Leg Swings x 10
    Scap Push ups x 10
    Overs and Unders x 10e/s
    Groin Rotation x 10e/s
    YTW x 5 of each

S1

Squats
    20kgx5
    20kgx5
    20kgx5
    30kgx5
    30kgx5
    30kgx5
    30kgx5
    -Eddie, the coach then came over to look at these, and he said that I'm going too low with them and I'm losing my arch because of it. I was A2G I think, so he said I'd be able to keep my arch better if I stopped a bit higher so I tried that from 40kg.
    40kgx5
    40kgx5
    40kgx5
    40kgx5
    50kgx2
    50kgx3
    50kgx3
    50kgx2

Front Squats
    40kgx2x3reps
    - just messing with form and checking the difference in them and the back squats.
    I'll stick in the vids soon! So basically the other dude said that I need to lean forward a bit when I'm low barring rather than be completely upright. That was when I was squatting light though, I'm pretty sure I start going forward a bit once I get heavier, sure my problem orignally was leaning forward too much! I'm confused though, because I was always told to try stay as upright as poss and have my elbows facing forward, but he also said that when I go heavier I need to bend my elbows back to save my wrists? Any of this making sense? He also got me to squat with my hands behind my head, and I actually couldn't do it properly at first, I kept falling over - I'm guessing that's not a good sign. Something about good flexibility but bad range of motion.....

GHR's
    5x5 - serious fail...

Okay, so dude came over again when I was doing these, and told me I was doing something between a back ext and a GHR, he said strict GHR's are from your knees... I was kind doing them from the top of my knee/thigh.. So, I tried them his way - AND COULDN'T DO THEM!! WTF?! I used to do these in IP, I know I did, but have I been cheating the whole time?!:o I can't do them his way at all, so I just did negatives. I can lower myself down slowly and control it til I get to the bottom, but I can't get back up without holding on to the handles.

Bridging
    60secs
    40secs
    30secs

Flat Bench Press
    15kgx5x15reps

Barbell Row
    50kgx10
    50kgx10

60kgx5
    60kgx5
    - dude came over and told me I was doing them a bit lazily as I wasn't holding my core tight, I was basically just rowing as if I was on a rower. He then asked if I tried Pendlay Rows, as I was doing mine from the bar with an underhand grip. The other way is from the floor with an overhand grip. Dropped down to 50kg and did them this way..
    50kgx5x3reps

KB Side Arches e/s
    24kgx5x10reps

Bicep Curls
    12kgx5x10reps

On the food note, the guys at the gym are taking me for a veggie dinner at the weekend, so NOM NOM NOM!!!!:D

I actually wasnt. And I am well aware of the difference I lived with a pescetarian for long enough. .

Good stuff :)
    I know alot of people call themselves vegetarians and still eat fish without getting into the semantics of definitions of non meat eaters .

Those people REALLY bug me.

Warm Up x3
    Reverse Lunges x 10e/s
    Leg Swings x 10
    Scap Push ups x 10
    Overs and Unders x 10e/s
    Groin Rotation x 10e/s
    YTW x 5 of each

Rowing 200m/50sec rest
    (secs)

Work Block 15min
    Walking Lunges 13kg e/s x 10
    One Arm Rows 20kgx10
    Russian Twists 16kg x 10
    10 rounds

Rowing
    - the times on this block were a bit erratic, I was totally gassed from the previous blocks and couldn't get a proper pace going at all.

Work Block
    30kg KB Squat x 5
    25kg Push Press x 5
    6kg DB Press ups x 5
    11 rounds

Some squat vids from yesterday.

30kg
    - excuse the wee shriek at the start, I had the bar racked too high and kinda lost my balance taking it out:o

40kg

50kg

Start at 30sec

40 Front Squat

See comments on these in my post from yesterday also.

My lower back is rounding at the bottom of my squats. I'm squatting with a low bar and a wide stance, to try and keep myself as upright as possible. Yesterday, I was told it was because I was going too deep, but that was with the 30kg. I was also told I should be aiming for more of a lean. I've been trying to get as deep as possible, and also stay upright, so now I'm a bit confused!

The main difference I can see in the front squats is that my back doesn't look as rounded. If that's because of the position of the bar then maybe it would be worth my while playing around with my bar position on the back squats again?

It's the nature of the beast. With front squats you're basically sitting straight down, so there's no need to have to lean or move around to balance the bar. Hell if you do that, you lose it forward.

With a low bar wide stance you HAVE to lean forward to keep the bar over your feet or you'd fall ar5e over tit, and ya obviously don't have the flexibility to do it. Like it could be tekkers as much as anything else tho because the harder your arch your upper back, the less you'll be required to round your lower.

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    It's the nature of the beast. With front squats you're basically sitting straight down, so there's no need to have to lean or move around to balance the bar. Hell if you do that, you lose it forward.

With a low bar wide stance you HAVE to lean forward to keep the bar over your feet or you'd fall ar5e over tit, and ya obviously don't have the flexibility to do it. Like it could be tekkers as much as anything else tho because the harder your arch your upper back, the less you'll be required to round your lower.

Tekkers?

That makes sense though! Will just made a good point that I can do it properly when I've someone standing talking me through it, it's just when I'm on my own I go off track... So I guess I'll just make sure I have someone try cue me everytime I'm squatting for the next while and see if that helps! It's so dumb, because I know what to do, I'm just not doing it!!!:rolleyes:

Advertisement