Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back on track ....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

If at first you don't succeed......:D

Decided I wasn't letting myself get away with yesterdays b1tch of a session, so put it down to a bad day and gave it another whack today.

Front squat
    20kgx5
    30kgx5
    35kgx5
    40kgx5
    40kgx5
    40kgx5

45kgx5
    45kgx5
    45kgx5
    45kgx5
    45kgx5

:D Yeaaahhh babbbyy! My 1rm is 55kg, so pretty happy with this. Haven't repped 5x5 on a 45kg front squat in a while, if I've ever...?! Must go check. I usually do 1 or 2 sets of 5 and keep moving up in 3's then, but I really wanted a good 5x5 today. Very nearly quit at 3reps on all the sets out of habit, it's a while since I've proper pushed myself squatting. Didn't feel crazy hard; the last rep was a bit of a grinder but not a near fail or anything. Going to stay within my 5x5 zone on these for a while to get my confidence back with the oul squatting, and just move up that way.

I really want to get my back squats sorted out too, it's fcuking ridiculous that I'm front squatting the same, if not more, than I'm back squatting now, when there used to be 25kg in the difference!

Leg curls
    No. 6 on the machine
    x8
    x8
    x8
    x8
    x6
    - was meant to do reps of 10. Should prob have lowered the weight - but I'm stubborn. Tried to make them as slow and controlled as possible. First time I've really felt my hamstrings in a good while, my quads seem to have been taking all of the battering instead.

Flat bench
    15kgx10
    15kgx10

17.5x5x8reps:D:D
    I'd have got 10 reps on the first set if I tried, but I'd have started failing, so figured it better to stick to eight and get 5 full sets.

Bridging
    60secx3

Barbell row
    50kgx8
    60kgx5x5
    Easy.

Side bends
    24kg x 5 x 10 reps e/s

OH tri extent 10kg plate
    x20
    x15
    x12
    - finding these harder lately. It's more keeping my grip on the plate, think I'll use a DB next time.

Everything just felt hard yesterday, but I'd been rushing around all day and only had about 300kcals before training, so that prob had something to do with it! Really glad today went a bit better :)

The plan for the next while was to get back to a Strength/Cond pattern..... but I reallllly wanted to leg press today, as I haven't had access to one in ages... so I did a rep session with 60sec breaks. I think I need to revise my strength sessions a bit because if I leave out the rep sessions completely then I'm missing out on pull ups/leg pressing/ and lots of other fun stuff.... Or else I guess I could go back to the S/C/R scheme of things... ah **** I'm confused. This is what happens when I'm let think for myself!

Leg Press
    70kgx10
    80kgx5x10reps
    This was definitely too easy, but I was bearing in mind that I'm deadlifting tomorrow so didn't want to push it tooo much. I likes leg pressing:D

Chin Ups
    x3
    x3
    x3
    x2
    x2
    - Not very happy with these. I'm the same weight as when I was getting sets of 5 so I've no excuse either. I guess it's just that I haven't really done them in a while. Need to get some bands and do them assisted for reps of 10..but that ain't gonna happen til payday. Hanley had something up on his blog about a progression system for them so I might try that.

Rev Lunges
    10kgx3x10sets
    - my leg gave out on these, 2 more sets weren't happening.

Half Turkish Get Ups
    5kgx10x3sets
    - same leg issue.

Side Bends

24kgx5x10reps

DB Incline Flys
    10kgx5x10reps
    Easy - definitely up the weight next time

2k Run @11km/ph

This quad issue is going on too long now; I'm getting a bit fed up. But it's not sore when I'm not training so it's obviously nothing serious...and forking out for a physio isn't an option at the mo so just going to work around it for now.

Some chick was running sideways on a treadmill in the gym today...wtf is that all about? Was chatting to her after and she said she's doing plyometric training...go figure.

Deadlift
    60kgx5
    60kgx5
    70kgx5
    80kgx5
    90kgx5
    90kgx5
    90kgx5
    90kgx4 - this set felt a bit dodge
    90kgx5

These were grand.

Side Bridging
    60secsx3

Bench
    20kgx8
    30kgx8
    40kgx5

45kgx5x5:D PR

I was really surprised with the 45kg. I asked a guy to spot me, thinking I'd only get 3 reps, but the 5 just flew up! They felt so easy that I had to double check with one of the guys there that I was using the 20kg and not the 15kg one! :)

I think it might be something to do with the bar sitting at a better height too though, my set up is much easier on the bench in RAW rather than the one I was using in the other gym. Or maybe it's in my head! Either way, I'm happy!

One Arm Rows
    22.5kgx10
    25kgx10
    30kgx10
    30kgx10
    30kgx10

Side Bends
    28kgx5x10reps

I should prob start alternating with other abs work instead of obliques all the time, but I think I'm kind of addicted to the tightness I get on my waist from doing these - even if it only lasts a wee while!:o I don't know..it's just the only core exercise where I feel like I'm really benefiting from it.

OH Tri Ext
    10kgx20
    x15
    x10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

where are you training now?

what are your short term and long term goals?

thinking of competing or anything in 2012?

where are you training now?

what are your short term and long term goals?

thinking of competing or anything in 2012?
    In RAW again now. No specific goals at the mo.. I'm kind of floating..

I'm back at around the 72kg mark so I want to make sure I at least stay there or get leaner. Me at 75kg + was not a good look. So Yup.. Vanity wins out there.

I'm definitely putting more of a focus on strength now cause I've done a **** load of conditioning since I got back and kind of neglected the S sessions a bit.

My back squat is non existent at the moment so I can't see myself competing in anything anytime soon! That said, I used to hate front squatting but I'm really happy with how it's coming along now.. So every cloud.. :)

• Advertisement

Started a new job this week so been pretty busy; bit of a messy week training wise. Dragged my ass over to RAW last night only to realise I'd forgotten my bottoms...burn! Wasn't going the whole way out to Santry and back for them so just went for a 40min jog when I got home...boooring. Going to get in for a session tonight but it'll be Sunday then I'd say before I get in again - weh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

beers?

beers?

El broko........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

G86 wrote: »
    El broko........

entiendo...

Bit of a mental week, but moving bit nearer work/gym tomorrow, so happy days.

Front Squats
    20kgx5
    30kgx5
    35kgx5
    40kgx5
    45kgx5

50kgx3
    50kgx5
    50kgx3
    50kgx3
    50kgx3 - I got stuck halfway up on the last rep for what seemed like forever, but managed to grind it out. Fcuking delighted with it, that one rep made my day. I missed the real grinders :)

Was going for a 5x5pr on the 50kg but I'm still happy enough with the set.

Leg Curls
    No.6 x 8
    No.5
    5 x 10reps

Flat Bench
    15kgx10
    15kgx10

17,5kgx10
    17.5kgx10
    17.5kgx6
    17.5kgx6
    17.5kgx5
    - should have stuck with reps of eight and got the 5 sets; I wanted to try for 10 just in case I got it, but started failing on the 3rd round.

Bridging
    60sec
    30sec
    30sec
    I don't know why I'm so sh1te at this, but I am. I think I just can't be arsed with it:o

Side Bends
    28kgx3x10reps

OH Plate Tri Ext

10kgx20
    10kgx15
    10kgx10

More wrecked than I expected after the session, thought about throwing in a run but there was no way my legs were going anywhere but home!

• Advertisement

Flew through this today as was in bit of a rush.

Deadlift
    70kgx5
    70kgx5
    80kgx5
    90kgx5
    90kgx5
    90kgx5
    90kgx3
    90kgx3
    These actually felt really strong today which was unexpected cause I'm wrecked, but my grip let me down with the last 2 sets. Need to get some chalk sorted.

One arm rows
    25kgx5x10
    These felt harder that usual today. Didn't go for the 30. Weird..they're normally no bother.

Bench
    30kgx2x10reps
    40KGX5
    45kgx5x5
    These felt harder today too esp since they flew up last week. I blame the bench, someone was using my favourite one :(

Side bends
    28kgx3x10reps

Oh tri extent
    10kgx20
    x15
    x10

15 min block
    28kg KB Squat x 10
    25kg One Arm Rows x 10 e/s
    Press Ups x 10
    11 rounds
    -got a pain in my lower back/hip halfway through, weh.

Rowing 150m/30 sec rest

15 min block
    15kg Flat DB Bench x 10
    25kg One Arms Rows x 10 e/s
    Sit Ups x 10
    9 rounds

The niggle in my lower back was getting worse by the end of this so left out the last rowing block, felt the same as the issue I had earlier in the year and definitely not worth risking the whole malarky again!

Busy week, but got in for a strength session yesterday.

Bit of a backwards/roundabout session as gym was packed, and was waiting on squat rack for a bit too so had to rejig things.

Warm Up + Chins 3x3

DB Flat Bench15kgx10
    15kgx10

17.5kgx10
    17.5kgx10
    17.5kgx10
    17.5kgx10
    17.5kgx6

KB Side Bends
    28kgx5x10reps e/s

Front Squat
    20kgx8
    30kgx5
    40kgx5
    50kgx5x3reps

Leg CurlsLevel 5
    5x10reps

Barbell Row
    60kgx5x5

OH Plate Tri Ext
    10kgx10
    10kgx10
    10kgx10
    15kgx5 - faaaaill..I haz no triceps.
    10kgx10
    10kgx10

Seated Bicep Curls
    12.5kgx10
    12.5kgx8
    12.5kgx8
    12.5kgx6
    12.5kgx5

- stuck in the bicep curls because I haven't done any in forever, because they're kind of pointless for me.......So eh, yeah to sum it up I'd no reason for doing them at all!

Was away Fri/Sat, got up for a run this morn and hit the gym this afternoon but it wasn't particularly fruitful......

5k jog

....the swans in the canal were moving faster than me.

15min block
    5 KB Squats 28kg
    10 One Arm Rows 22.5kg
    10 Press Ups
    9 rounds
    - usually get 11 rounds on this, and admittedly wasn't even terribly hard, I just wasn't arsed - what a load of bollox.

Rowing 150m/30sec
    31sec
    31sec
    32sec
    32sec
    35sec
    35sec
    - zero energy, got pissed off, went home.

I'm seriously considering joining the S&C place in Harolds X when I've the money; I'm grand doing strength sessions on my own but when it comes to conditioning I work alot harder when I'm training with someone. Won't be joining anywhere til after xmas though. I'll be gym-less for a week next week as el broko til payday so prob just do a bit of running (/puke).

I need some direction in my training again. Hell I'd even for for a PL comp if I thought I could get my back squat sorted again, it'd give me something to work towards.

I'm bored.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

I'm seriously considering joining the S&C place in Harolds X when I've the money; I'm grand doing strength sessions on my own but when it comes to conditioning I work alot harder when I'm training with someone. Won't be joining anywhere til after xmas though. I'll be gym-less for a week next week as el broko til payday so prob just do a bit of running (/puke).

I need some direction in my training again. Hell I'd even for for a PL comp if I thought I could get my back squat sorted again, it'd give me something to work towards.

I'm bored.... :(

Both are excellent ideas!!:)
    With regards to the place in Harolds X, that could be great for getting you back into a routine in the New Year. I know how you feel, sure if it wasnt for people keeping an eye on me and telling me what to do I'd be back on the treadmills and xtrainers and spin bikes in no time:P:P

As for the PL competition,,it actually gives you something to shoot for so that you arent just throwing out random goals to be acheived in random timeframes and it also breaks the monotony of training..in that your building up and trying real hard for a competition and then you just tap away for a while after and then go for it again....well...its how it works in my mind anyway!:D

Good luck!

Sinuses are attacking me at the moment, not a happy bunny.

Went for a run down the canal last night... and was fit to jump in by the end of it.

Looked up the S&C joint I was talking about but don't think it's for me, not really into the whole classes thing. I'd like to train with people doing similar things, but don't really like the idea of being limited to classes.

Not sure about the IDFPAs, bit too soon after Christmas and I'd only being doing for DL and Bench. Might focus on GPC as a benchmark to try get my back squat sorted and another 10kg on my DL. That gives me a good 6 months at least. Definitely doing it though, I need a goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

These felt harder today too esp since they flew up last week. I blame the bench, someone was using my favourite one :(

Had to laugh at this, feel the same way!

PS how can you tell in Raw which bars are 15kgs and which are 20kgs?

Thanks

Enjoying your log btw.

ucd.1985 wrote: »

Thanks

Enjoying your log btw.

I usually just use the same bar all the time, although someone managed to bend the fcuk out of it recently:(

You'd generally feel the diff if you picked up a 15kg one; although I had to double check a while back when I was benching 'cause the set seemed too easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭COH

ucd.1985 wrote: »

There is only one 15kg bar... its the narrow bar. There are two 17.5kg bars (both have a thinner grip). The rest are 20kg

COH wrote: »
    There is only one 15kg bar... its the narrow bar. There are two 17.5kg bars (both have a thinner grip). The rest are 20kg

Will have to be more conscious of this in the future so!

• Advertisement

I usually just use the same bar all the time, although someone managed to bend the fcuk out of it recently:(

I noticed this alright with one or two of the bars. Very annoying!

Had to train with a suspected broken toe (again!):rolleyes:; managed to do this last night, but really wasn't up for a 10hour wait in A&E. Going to leave it a few days and see.... really don't want to fork out 50quid just to be told it's broken - they can hardly put it in a cast like!

[IMG][/img]379915_10150445941891629_736181628_8329910_1738828034_n.jpg

Front Squats
    20kgx5
    30kgx5
    40kgx5
    45kgx5x3reps
    - these were tough enough today, wanted 50kg 5x5, but once I put on the 45 I knew it wasn't happening. Prob summat to do with having been sick/not training/broken toe.... excuses excuses!:pac:

Leg Curls
    No.5
    x10
    x10
    x10
    x10
    x8 - bit of a struggle with this set.

Side Bridging
    30secs e/s x 3

Flat Bench
    15kgx10
    18kgx5x5 PR :) Only a wee pr of 1kg, but I'm taking what I can get today! They felt fairly strong too.

Barbell Row

50kgx8
    60kgx5x5 - simples

Side Bends
    28kgx5x10reps e/s

OH Tri Plate Ext
    10kgx20/15/15

I really want to add in more isolated tricep work, don't feel I get a whole lot from the plate exts.

I'm happy enough with my arms but I feel like my biceps are pretty visible in comparision to my lack of tricep definition... And yes I'm aware I sound vain - but I want nice defined triceps dammit!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Point 1: A&E would cost you €100.
    Point 2: your toe looks horrendous & I didn't really need to see it.
    Point 3: kudos on training with a toe in that sort of condition.
    Point 4: don't make the toe worse.
    Train around it. Do upper body for a while - work on your triceps.
    Read this http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/skin-splitting-training-for-massive-arms/

Point 1: A&E would cost you €100.
    Point 2: your toe looks horrendous & I didn't really need to see it.
    Point 3: kudos on training with a toe in that sort of condition.
    Point 4: don't make the toe worse.
    Train around it. Do upper body for a while - work on your triceps.
    Read this http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/skin-splitting-training-for-massive-arms/
    Cheers Henners. Didn't really do anything that involved putting much weight on it yesterday, but I'll definitely be steering clear of anything that could worsen it. Fairly sore at the moment so don't have much choice.

On my phone now but I'll read that link tomorrow, thanks :)

Toe ain't looking pretty at all today, going to keep off it and stick with upper body but not too sure what to be doing. Can't get my foot in the holder thing for the rower so that's out too. Either just do some upper body strength or cond blocks... hmmm....

I also seem to have lost weight over Xmas/not training. Eh....

Upper body

Surprisingly sore from yesterdays session.

Chins

x3
    x3
    x2
    x1
    - disaster:o

Military Press
    20kgx5
    25kgx5
    25kgx5
    25kgx5
    Push Press
    30kgx5
    35kgx4 (dammit!)
    30kgx5
    30kgx5
    30kgx5
    30kgx5
    30kgx5
    - Not sure what the story was with the 35, but the 30 was going up easy enough. Haven't done a barbell push press in a good while, but thought I'd be hitting 35kg 5x5 :(

Bench

20kgx5
    30kgx5
    40kgx5
    40kgx5
    45kgx4
    40kgx4
    40kgx5
    - serious WTF here. 45kg 5x5 was moving easy a month ago.:mad:

One Arm Rows e/s
    20kgx10
    25kgx5x10reps
    - again, felt harder than normal. Figured I'd start failing if I went for the 30's.

DB Tri Ext
    - tried these, but they felt weird as fcuk. I basically couldn't feel anything doing them?? I remember doing them in IP and finding them tough so not sure what I'm doing wrong - just felt awkward.

OH Plate Tri Ext
    x10
    - my arms stopped working after that set.:confused:

28kg Side Bends

5x10reps

Sit Ups with 10kg plate
    5x10reps

Figured I'd hop on the bike for a bit of cardio at the end of it, but I never realised RAW don't have one! Shows how observant I am....:p

Bit pissed off about the sh!te numbers, but was still a good session so happy enough.

Falling over flat on my ass under an empty bar.....
    Not my finest moment:o

Deadlift
    70kgx5
    70kgx5
    80kgx5
    80kgx5
    80kgx5
    80kgx4 - grip went
    80kgx5
    -these were grand. Didn't really push myself.

Then, I decided I was going to chance my arm at back squatting again. Didn't go to plan. Didn't go at all in fact..

Front Squat

20kgx5
    30kgx5
    30kgx5
    40kgx3x3

Back Squat
    20kgx massively cringeworthy bleedin FAIL

Front Squat
    40kgx3
    - I needed that set to reclaim what self belief I had left!

Apparently my knees are turning inwards on the front squat too, so seems I'm back to old habits. Weh.

Bench Press

30kgx5
    40kgx5x5
    -easy enough.

Barbell Rows
    50kgx5
    60kgx5
    60kgx5
    60kgx5
    60kgx5

28kg KB Side Bends

5x10reps e/s

Sit Ups

4x10reps with 10kg
    .... then a guy came and showed me how to do them by basically only moving a tiny bit off the ground and not using my back at all, instead of right up. Felt a serious difference; here was me thinking they were 'easy'! So got rid of the weight and did them that way.

5x10reps - ouchies!

DB Bicep Curls
    10kgx10
    x10
    x8

- I still think my biceps are more developed than my triceps for my liking, but I figure I need these to help with my chin ups... Also the 10kgs used to be no bother, so I'm obviously weaker. Weh.

Not sure what I'm at or what direction I'm going on now. Reckon I'll need to get some hands on help again for a bit, especially with that squat.

Did I mention 'Weh'?!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭supposedly

Falling over flat on my ass under an empty bar.....
    Not my finest moment:o

Then, I decided I was going to chance my arm at back squatting again. Didn't go to plan. Didn't go at all in fact..
    Back Squat
    20kgx massively cringeworthy bleedin FAIL

Apparently my knees are turning inwards on the front squat too, so seems I'm back to old habits. Weh.

Not sure what I'm at or what direction I'm going on now. Reckon I'll need to get some hands on help again for a bit, especially with that squat.

Did I mention 'Weh'?!

I had a similar problem with my squat a while back. I used to always fall on my ass when I did light squats but I could manage a bit of weight. I also had no bother with front squats. This was basically due to tight ankles. My shins weren't able to go forward enough so there was too much weight back on my heels.

Also, the knees turning in is often a problem of weak/ inactive glutes. For me, these two problems went hand in hand and I fixed them by stretching hell out of my ankles, really concentrating on knees out every single rep like a crazy woman, and I did some bulgarian split squats to strengthen up my glutes.

supposedly wrote: »
    I had a similar problem with my squat a while back. I used to always fall on my ass when I did light squats but I could manage a bit of weight. I also had no bother with front squats. This was basically due to tight ankles. My shins weren't able to go forward enough so there was too much weight back on my heels.

Also, the knees turning in is often a problem of weak/ inactive glutes. For me, these two problems went hand in hand and I fixed them by stretching hell out of my ankles, really concentrating on knees out every single rep like a crazy woman, and I did some bulgarian split squats to strengthen up my glutes.

Thanks a million, maybe that's it so. Makes sense about the glutes too since I can't seem to manage proper GHR's anymore either :o I think I just need to get my confidence back too, I'm almost expecting to fail every time I try to backsquat now!

• Advertisement

Working late a bit this week and busy busy.. but have a plan of action now so I'm a happy happy bunny!!

Plan is, getting my squat looked at on Sat so see how that goes. And then from next week onwards I've some coaching sorted out to help get me get set up for the GPCs :):)

Yay, finally some direction again!

Can't wait to start lifting proper heavy again, and goddammit I'm gonna get that 140kg DL by then if it kills me!

Advertisement