Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabra Tennis Club?

Options
  • 10-12-2008 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

Okay long shot here but can anyone tell me the name of the tennis club that was situated near the Annamoe Road/Drive junction in Cabra? I think it closed in the early 80's.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

Tennis club?,never any tennis club on Annamoe mate,not that I can remember from growind up there,there may have been one on the North Circular when there was green spaces there,but doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Thanks for the reply raver, it was on Annamoe Road where those apartments called Bradogue Court are now, it was hard to spot as the only sign of it was a small notice on an iron entrance gate, I've been in touch with one or two old pals, they can remember the club, one of them was even a member but none of us can remember the name of the club, old age catching up on us lol.
    We didn't actually take any notice of the small nameplate on the gate, to us as kids growing up in Cabra it was a trip for us as part of the Cabra Summer Project and it was just known to us as the tennis club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

Ah yeah I remember it now,thats the place was thinkin of,couldnt place,it was connected to Park house the bug ugly office block on the North Circular,think it was for civil service employees,you got into form the end of Annamoe across from the building suppliers(Goslins I think owned it) and that creepy house that looked like something from a 70s horror movie.there was that lane Annamoe Parade,you could get into from there aswell I think,would have closed though when I was 3 or 4,jesus thats a blast from the past lol

That's the one Raver, the folks on Annamoe Drive would have had a Wimbledon style view from the back of their houses, and that scarey cottage was knocked down under a lot of protest at the time, it was one of the oldest houses in Cabra. You're correct when you say it was a private club but they let local kids use it for the Cabra Summer Project..
    I'm glad I'm not the only one on boards who remembers it, I thought I was going mad lol:D, let me know if you hear the name of it, ta again..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Yeah I remember it also but not when it closed or what it was called unfortunately. I have/had some family members living in the area i'll ask when i'm home.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies, I discovered the name from an old friend who was a member there, it was called Cherrymount Tennis Club.

Advertisement