Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duo or Quad

Options
  • 10-12-2008 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

Hi.

My mate asked me to build him a PC for the sole purpose of running a music software (Protools in this case)

He wont have the internet on it wont have games wont have office etc. Just this.

We where talking about the processor for the build. Would we need a quad core ? We where thinking of spending money on a duo with higher processing power per core. Like a 3.2ghz instead of a quad at 2.4/2.6ghz

since there wont be many things running will duo or even single core work for this?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

NeVeR wrote:
    My mate asked me to build him a PC for the sole purpose of running a music software

*cough*Mac*cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

mac, blah.

I was looking into this recently for my brother who uses a Cubase setup. Like most things, it isn't a definite yes quad or no higher clock duo. In general, (I have not yet built the system so I can't say from experience) if you are working with a lot of effects then they will utilise the quad core well and work better. If you are working with a lot of samples, you don't get the benefit of the quad core and a higher clock, faster FSB and memory are more important.

I read about it on this cubase thread:

http://www.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=106506&highlight=quad+core

You should investigate for protools and the plugins your friend will be using. There is also a music production forum here where they might have tips.

Advertisement