Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is Galway mail centre?

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

About a 10 -15 minute walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

I don't know whether JONJO THE MISER is taking the pi$$ or is just confused about where you actually need to go but it's much further than that. It's well outside the city limits and Google says you'll need 50 minutes each way.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Headford+Rd&daddr=Tuam+Rd&hl=en&geocode=FRf4LAMdk-d1_w%3BFblELQMdjI12_w&mra=ltm&dirflg=w&sll=53.299107,-9.00454&sspn=0.007669,0.026157&ie=UTF8&ll=53.290771,-9.017458&spn=0.030681,0.104628&t=h&z=14

• Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Confused. It's 10-15 minutes walk from the bus-stop by Trappers Inn.

Bus map and details.

Technically it's not that far outside the city boundary, which goes a long way in that direction. Practically it's a long way away.

I'd be bribing the friend to drop you out, IsThisIt???, because it's not the nicest walk in the city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's well outside the city limits and Google says you'll need 50 minutes each way.

:confused:
    It is within city limits and about 45 minutes walk from Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

February 1, 2011 - 8:15am
    Galway's city and county boundaries need to be more clearly defined with appropriate signage.
    That's the view of Fine Gael County Councillor Sean Kyne.
    He says some confusion over local authority boundaries arose during the recent water crisis.
    Councillor Kyne has suggested to the Council erecting signs in appropriate places to clear up any future confusion.
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/17359-confusion-over-city-and-county-boundaries

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Seems it's just inside the boundary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Wonder where they chose the name 'mail centre' then:rolleyes:

A neighbour missed a package last week, and said they have changed the system again apparently. You now have a
    redelivery option if you ring them up and PAY A FEE.
    Why would they make it easier if they can make more money on it.
    At east there is another option again I suppose, albeit one that was free and part of the service a year or two ago.

Anyone any more info on this?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

inisboffin wrote: »
    Wonder where they chose the name 'mail centre' then:rolleyes:

A neighbour missed a package last week, and said they have changed the system again apparently. You now have a
    redelivery option if you ring them up and PAY A FEE.
    Why would they make it easier if they can make more money on it.
    At east there is another option again I suppose, albeit one that was free and part of the service a year or two ago.

Anyone any more info on this?

I just happen to have a delivery note on me

It doth say:
    To arrange for your item(s) to be redelivered to this or an alternative address within the Republic of Ireland, log into www.anpost.ie/redelivery - please note you will be charged a small fee for this service

3 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I just happen to have a delivery note on me

It doth say:

3 euro

Thanks!

Two steps backward and one step forward I'spose. 3 yo yos isn't horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

€3 is do-able, it's not too much. Even if it has taken quite a while, at least they are doing something about it and gone and brought in the option. Can't fault them for being pro-active.

Who knows .... Maybe it's as a result of the Boards Thread on it that they have done this! :pac: :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

We have the ridiculous situation where An Post are now trying to tell us they don't recognise the address we have been receiving mail and they have been delivering mail to for the last 60 or more years.

They also told my sister that we would have to call or mail everyone we know and all our customers to inform them of a change of address to the same address.

Some poor person is going to get a rip roaring phone call from me this week, they'd better be ready

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Don't do that. Why would you go shouting at someone on the phone ?

I've worked in An Post as a temp at Christmas. You'd be surprised the amount of people that misaddress their own mail - especially for important things like electricity bills and phone bills. What is your address? Perhaps the mail route has changed...

E.g. people in connemara might just label their mail as "Ballyconneely" when the correct address should be "Ballyconneely, CLIFDEN" or as "Tully Cross" when it should be "Tully Cross, RENVYLE".

A common one we encountered was people addressing their mail as Corcullen, Moycullen. This would have the result of that letter being sorted for the Moycullen postmans mail route (unless the sorter spotted and overruled the misaddressing). When the Moycullen postman sees the letter, he will see that it was NOT on his route because Corcullen is classed as inside the city and is actually on a route belonging to a mailman on a city route. Moycullen would be scratched out on the address and it is sent for re-sorting the following night. These letters were all marked with that label you are referring to, and correctly so, because if those people continued to misaddress their mail they were actually causing themselves to get their mail a day late.

You can argue all you like, but I don't think you'll get a postal route changed so that you don't have to change your address! :P

This kinda thing will all be cleared up when the postal codes come in anyway.

Edit: I realise I might have sounded like a spokesperson there. I'm just a student that has worked there for a couple of weeks over the past few Christmases so I've seen how they operate.

Advertisement