Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Minister Ryan Apologise ?

Options
  • 10-12-2008 5:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Minister Ryan constantly peddles the line that mobile so called bb is being willingly used as a primary BB connection in Ireland. It is not .

It is used as a supplementary technology for when one is caught short or is out and about .

It is used by those who are desperate for proper BB too .

The CSO , today , has released data to prove this. Were Minister Ryan an honourable man I would expect an apology and a retraction. Then again he whined about his 3G not working in Korea early this year ...when European 3G NEVER worked in Korea because they use a different and faster standard over there.

From here

http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/industry/current/isse.pdf

ict.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'm confused :(

Your link is for a household ICT report, the table above is from a Enterprise report, and I can't see where it says "Why" a subscriber got Mobile Internet?

Maybe you meant this link?
    http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/industry/current/isse.pdf

Notes on table:
    (3) Due to a change in the survey question, the data is not comparable between 2007 and 2008.
    Source: Survey on e-Commerce and ICT 2008.

However it seems to me that if Broadband was universally available and line rental wasn't a killer at nearly 26 Euro, then Broadband penetration could be 83% instead of under 20% in reality. (Subtract all the "not really real Broadband connections").

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The questionaire is here , you may tick more than one answer in 2008 .

B2 Type of external connection to the internet in January 2008?
    (a) Modem (dial-up access over normal telephone line)
    (b) ISDN connection
    (c) DSL broadband < 2Mb/sec
    (d) DSL broadband >= 2Mb/sec
    (e) Other fixed wire based broadband connection (e.g. cable, leased line, fibre optic cable,
    frame relay, etc.)
    (f) Other fixed wireless broadband connection (e.g. satellite, wireless broadband
    - excluding use of wireless router with DSL or cable modem)
    (g) Mobile broadband connection (e.g. 3G datacard or modem)

Advertisement