Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downlighter cover and Insulating it

Options
  • 10-12-2008 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Hope some one in the know can help me, when I was in the attic the other day I noticed that the spot light that we have in our upsatirs bathroom ensuite has not been covered over by the sparks, we are the the 2nd owners of the house so the light was fitted i would reckon when the house was built 4 years ago. But when the electrician installed it he didnt do a very neat job the vapour barrier around that section of plasterboard is just roughly torn back and the insulation has been taken up so now there is a section of about 1.5 ft sq just bare no insulation and no vapour barrier just the plasterboard and this spot light poking out with no cover on it, where do I go from here? any help or advice on this is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I seen a post somewhere, where people have used small clay flower pots to cover the spot lights and then insulated over it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

You can buy a hood / fire cover for spot lights at any electrical wholesaler.

It should be ok to re-fit the vapour barrier close to the fitting.
    The hood will allow you to replace the insulation (to hood manufactureres spec)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SPARTAN33

RKO thanks again for your reply, cant put back vapour barrier its completly ruined (the way its been torn and ripped) in that section can only put back insulation on top of plasterboard? is that ok or will i have to do something else the area is a square about 1.5 to 2ft all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Cut a piece of 500 guage plastic, 1.5 x 2ft square. cut circa 75mm dia hole in it to fit over downlight. tape perimeter to existing vapour barrier, install hood and insulation.
    regards
    Q

Advertisement