Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My first day of bargaining, not what I expected

Options
  • 10-12-2008 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I went around garages today, looking for a used car with a budget of 5-000/5-500. I was up in the Airside Motor Park and was very surprised to see nearly no cars under 04. The dealers were trying to convince me to buy 08's and didn't see anything at all in my price range. I hit a couple of more garages later one, all the same story. Where can I go that will have a big range of used cars Louth/Dublin/Meath areas? Now I wasn't going to buy today, I will wait till January but I hope I find something in my budget, preferably Polo, Golf, Focus. I didn't think I'd have much trouble finding one but this has made me think, is it as easy as people are making out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Auction all the way. You can pick up a savage motor for your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You need to find cars on, say, carzone and then go to see them - you can't just wander into a dealer on spec expecting to find the right car at the right price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Go to the auction tonight and educate yourself to buy last week before christmas auction shutdown best bargains of the next year here christmas week .! for a bit more than 5 you'll get into an 05 new model focus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Anan1 wrote: »
    You need to find cars on, say, carzone and then go to see them - you can't just wander into a dealer on spec expecting to find the right car at the right price.

yes, fully agree here, but at least I learned that today and know what to do now. Its just hard been a first time buyer having no experience

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 sunshines

JokerD wrote: »
    Hi all, I went around garages today, looking for a used car with a budget of 5-000/5-500. I was up in the Airside Motor Park and was very surprised to see nearly no cars under 04. The dealers were trying to convince me to buy 08's and didn't see anything at all in my price range. I hit a couple of more garages later one, all the same story. Where can I go that will have a big range of used cars Louth/Dublin/Meath areas? Now I wasn't going to buy today, I will wait till January but I hope I find something in my budget, preferably Polo, Golf, Focus. I didn't think I'd have much trouble finding one but this has made me think, is it as easy as people are making out?

Don't buy an 00 -03 Polo, Golf or Ibiza. These have faults that cause the electrics to go and its a fortune to fix.

Apart from that Dub is seriously expensive to buy cars.,,,head towards the border...Monaghan, Cavan etc. Golf etc is an expensive car though but if you shop around you will deffo get a bargain. Obviously the dealers want to get rid of the more expensive cars which generates a higher rate of return for them. the idustry is crashing so remember you are in the bargaining position.
    But do you hav eto buy from a dealer? A private sale will get you a far better bargain and for €60 u can get the car fully accesssed complete with a background check.....well worth oit for a bargain. or import one from the north....best of luck

• Advertisement

sunshines wrote: »
    Don't buy an 00 -03 Polo, Golf or Ibiza. These have faults that cause the electrics to go and its a fortune to fix.

Apart from that Dub is seriously expensive to buy cars.,,,head towards the border...Monaghan, Cavan etc. Golf etc is an expensive car though but if you shop around you will deffo get a bargain. Obviously the dealers want to get rid of the more expensive cars which generates a higher rate of return for them. the idustry is crashing so remember you are in the bargaining position.
    But do you hav eto buy from a dealer? A private sale will get you a far better bargain and for €60 u can get the car fully accesssed complete with a background check.....well worth oit for a bargain. or import one from the north....best of luck

no doesn't have to be a dealer just preferable as I been warned off private sales. Really new to all this and don't want to be ripped off especailly if all these deals are out there

biggus wrote: »
    Go to the auction tonight and educate yourself to buy last week before christmas auction shutdown best bargains of the next year here christmas week .! for a bit more than 5 you'll get into an 05 new model focus

seroiusly? where do these auctions take place and when and do the cars have all their history etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

I wouldnt recommend an auction if you are put off by private sellers. The cars at auctions are cheap for a reason - you need your wits about you. Great deals to be had but complete lemons also

what are your guys honest opinions on a 03'Polo, 52.000mls, 1.2, mint condition for 5.200?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

yes, fully agree here, but at least I learned that today and know what to do now. Its just hard been a first time buyer having no experience
    In that case, any start is a good start. Take your time, don't be afraid to ask questions, see as many cars as you can. If in doubt, ask more questions.:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 sunshines

no doesn't have to be a dealer just preferable as I been warned off private sales. Really new to all this and don't want to be ripped off especailly if all these deals are out there

If you know loads about cars...auctions are savage...but if u dont they are ethal. i unloaded my piece of crap ibiza at it when no 1 else would take it. be careful!! the cars are there for a reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Cars at auction are there for a reason alright,

Now its
    Surplus to requirements
    Repossessed
    Liquidation
    Panic
    To pay the mortgage
    Buy food

http://www.merlincarauctions.ie/dynamic.php?lang=&id_menu=85
    Merlin in nass see website for location 7pm tonight 300 plus cars going through most post 03 a lot under manufacturers warranty

Advertisement