Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Salvage and insurance companies

Options
  • 10-12-2008 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

My car was rear ended and the driver was deemed 100% at fault. The insurance company are paying out with a value I'm happy with but they're telling me they're taking the salvage value off the cost and leaving it up to me to get rid of the car.

This is fine, or it would be if getting the thing picked up wasn't going to cost me money.

I thought that they paid out the full amount and then scrapped the car for you.

Is this the norm now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I've never heard of this. My car was written off earlier in the year, my ins co sold the car for salvage and paid me the value we'd agreed. I'd say that's their job, not yours. Plus, what happens if you get less for the car than they say it's worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Anan1 wrote: »
    I've never heard of this. My car was written off earlier in the year, my ins co sold the car for salvage and paid me the value we'd agreed. I'd say that's their job, not yours. Plus, what happens if you get less for the car than they say it's worth?

I've never heard of this either. Normally, when an insurer writes off a car and pays you the agreed value the car becomes theirs to dispose of as they wish. That's why, if you're an adventurous soul, you can buy it back off them and try to fix it. I'd contest this if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

its completely normal or at least it was two years ago when i worked in claims

the idea behind is that you still own the wreck and its up to you if you want to sell it. the company i worked for would get you a value and give you the choice of using their salvage company after giving you the offer on salvage. most people take this option without knowing what it actually means and thats were you get the 'my company didnt make me do that' replies

the company must of gotten a salvage offer from somewhere especially if the car was seen in a yard it was more than likely that yard that made the offer iirc the engineer will negotiate the offer on your behalf when he is there looking at the car but again this might have changed.

id advise you ring the company back tell them that you want to know what salvage dealer gave the offer and say you are willing to accept that offer on the condition that you dont ahve to pay for removal or if you do have to pay for removal that the insurance company reimburses you as your are entitled to to all reasonable costs incurred after an accident that is not your fault and if i was your claims handler i would not have a problem deeming this as a reasonable cost
    ART6 wrote: »
    I've never heard of this either. Normally, when an insurer writes off a car and pays you the agreed value the car becomes theirs to dispose of as they wish. That's why, if you're an adventurous soul, you can buy it back off them and try to fix it. I'd contest this if I were you.

again this is just form memory but there are different types of write off and unless its a total write off ie unable to be put back on the road under any circumstances then the above dosnt apply and even then i dont think they are under any obligation to dispose of it. having said that alot of companies do(or at least used to) and i assume the reason for this was they could make some nice money when the second hand car market / parts market / salvage market was doing well which i doubt is the case right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

What is it ? year make model location ?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Thanks for the info, PeakOutput! That's just what I was looking for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I had the same problem earlier this year. You have the option of keeping the vehicle yourself or getting your insurance company to pay you salvage for it.

My vehicle was a complete write off and I'm not a mechanic so I told them to keep it. I ended up getting 2k more for it from the insurance company than they got from the salvage company so happy days. Unless you know what your at tell them to keep it and take the money and run especially if your already happy with your settlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

There are pleanty of knackers out there that will pick the car up for free, check local papers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Notch000 wrote: »
    There are pleanty of knackers out there that will pick the car up for free, check local papers

they pick up the car for free as they wont pay for the salvage value on the car which could be anything up to and even over a few grand depending on the car because thats how they make their money

Advertisement