Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos

Options
  • 10-12-2008 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

I went into Argos today to buy an expensive electrical item which I would normally buy online but in usual dafunk style left it too late before a birthday to do that. Anyway, just as I was handing over 300 euro of my hard earned cash I was reminded of their no-returns policy on electrical items. Flashback to two years ago when I spent 80 quid on another last minute birthday present which was an mp3 player, took it home, opened it and tried to load music onto it as it was for my old man who wouldn't no doubt have run into difficulty with this, anyway, I'm tangenting, the fupping thing was broken, didn't work, was displaying error messages, I was working in software development on handheld devices at the time and knew right well the thing was ****ed, brought it back in to them and they refused to reimburse me or give me store credit, they only said they'd replace it with the same item. My argument is, if that one is broken then the whole lot of them are likely to be because they're off the same factory line and loaded with the same software. I don't want a faulty product.

So today, when I was reminded by the sales clerk that they don't do returns I thought why would I buy something there? If my mate opens the present and doesn't want it or it's broken he can't return it. I'm boycotting Argos. I don't see how it can be legal for them to do this.

I'm ranting really (and still without present - damn principles!). Has anyone else had these problems with them and if so why are we supporting them by still shopping there? How can they legally do this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

i bought my daughter a psp there yesterday, first time i have ever bought anything electrical from argos in ireland ( many times in the uk) and was told the same thing,, no return on electrical items..
    i caqnt understand one,, why they say this because in the uk they dont do that. they are a uk company there owned by the same company who owns great universal mail order company..
    and also is this not against consumer rights????????
    i havent tested the psp as i havent got a clue.
    so who would someone go too in regard too consumer rights here in ireland?? im as confused as you, but i can tell you this anything wrong with that psp come christmas day and argos arent gonna know what hit them lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I've had that tried with me a few times.
    JUst calmly state the Consumer's Association of Ireland and so on and say it's illegal and a breach of contract and your staturoy rights for them to refuse to replace something faulty.

Saying no return for electrical goods can be ignored as you're statutory rights entitle you to a refund/replacement/repair if they sold you a faulty item.

However, you need a reciept and can't return something that you broke or that was bought for you (privity of contract)

When they say no return on electrical goods they mean you can't bring it back if you change your mind ( you can do this with most argos products, entitlement to changing your mind is not held under your statutory rights but argos usually allow this as a form of goodwill)
    THey cannot however, refuse to accept something that is faulty.

If you're friend doesn't like the present there's not much he can do, if it's faulty he will need you to return it for him or you could just give him the reciept. Don't let them try and tell you that your contract is with the manafacturer. That's bollix and they often try that. Their contract is with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

That doesn't sound right. I think the manufacturer has to give you a 3 year warrantee by European law. If a product doesn't do what it's supposed to do they should take it back.

If their going to be like that about it I won't be buying anything there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

ok i checked my receipt, electrical goods are excluded from the
    30 day money back guarantee.
    doesnt effect refunds for defective goods only the 30 day money back guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

As far as i'm aware if there is a problem with it you can bring it back. The store will usually offer to replace it or give you store credit you dont have to take either if you dont want to and can ask for your money back. However if you decide you just dont want it anymore the store does not have to take it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

dcukhunter wrote: »
    ... if there is a problem with it you can bring it back... However if you decide you just dont want it anymore the store does not have to take it back.

Correct, there is no legal requirement to take anything back just because you change your mind.

Argos are going quite a bit further than they are required to:
    • They take back non-electrical goods when you have changed your mind.
    • The remind you at point-of-sale that they will not take back electrical good just because you change your mind.

IMHO, it's ridiculous that any store will take back things when you have changed your mind. It means that the goods have been out of their control, you have possibly done bad stuff to 'em, so they have to spend staff time checking that they're still fit for sale - all because you "made a mistake".

.. none of this applies when the goods are defective, then you should have the option of replacement or refund.

Advertisement