Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

More Obnoxious parking - ***READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

With parking like that, everyone on foot is a streetwalker by default!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Garda van just pulling out of their parking place on double yellow lines blocking the mini-roundabout outside Centra in Ballinteer today.

Still, I'm sure it was 'in the course of duty' and the brown bags they carried out were important evidence, not spicy wedges and sausages.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Garda van just pulling out of their parking place on double yellow lines blocking the mini-roundabout outside Centra in Ballinteer today.

Still, I'm sure it was 'in the course of duty' and the brown bags they carried out were important evidence, not spicy wedges and sausages.
    Here we go again.
    If some kind of life or death emergency arose and they had to drop their brown bags and rush off would people criticise them for being late because they parked a block away somewhere more suitable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Are they not allowed to eat now???

kbannon wrote: »
    Here we go again.
    If some kind of life or death emergency arose and they had to drop their brown bags and rush off would people criticise them for being late because they parked a block away somewhere more suitable?

Let's not exaggerate. I see what might be a more suitable spot a few metres away.

And let's not pretend that the reason AGS vehicles are often spotted parked in such a manner is purely because their occupants are on a heightened state of alert compared to the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Let's not exaggerate. I see what might be a more suitable spot a few metres away.

And let's not pretend that the reason AGS vehicles are often spotted parked in such a manner is purely because their occupants are on a heightened state of alert compared to the rest of us.

Tell that to the person who was critically shot in the Garda district where this van works this morning.

Oh wait... the Gardai have arrested somebody in relation to this shooting.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-appeal-for-witnesses-to-shooting-496898.html

THAT is the reason Gardai are exempt from parking regulations.

Chief--- wrote: »
    Tell that to the person who was critically shot in the Garda district where this van works this morning.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-appeal-for-witnesses-to-shooting-496898.html

I am again referring to non-emergency situations, which by definition is the majority of the time.

I am again referring to non-emergency situations, which by definition is the majority of the time.

Unless you are a Garda control dispatcher you do not know what call the Gardai are on.

Anyway back to more pictures taken by balding men with way too much time on their hands of cars causing serious obstructions and ten mile tail backs.....sorry "obnoxiously" parked cars.

Unless you are a Garda control dispatcher you do not know what call the Gardai are on.

Anyway back to more pictures taken by balding men with way too much time on their hands of cars causing serious obstructions and ten mile tail backs.....sorry "obnoxiously" parked cars.

I know laziness and lack of professionalism when I see it.

Takes time to look at the pics and defend the (fairly) indefensible too! And, um, keep your hair on.

EDIT: Revealing sarcasm. Perhaps this explains AGS apathy about the obstruction of footpaths. Real obnoxious parking is that which affects traffic.

Garda-van-obstructs-footpath.jpg?t=1299886496

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Damokc

Sesshoumaru, is that tralee?

• Advertisement

Takes time to look at the pics and defend the (fairly) indefensible too! And, um, keep your hair on.

I suppose if you have nothing better to do with your time..... Why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Let's take the last picture outside Galway City Garda station as an example. There is no way that vehhhiicccle is parked so that the Gardai will get a quicker response. There is a car park right next to this station where the Gardai often park without bothering to pay. They obnoxiously take up spaces which are supposed to be for the paying public.

Why? If you look in the Garda car park the next time you will notice that most of the cars are their own private cars. They obviously know nobody will give them a ticket in the state vehicles so abandon them wherever they want.

Chief. Be objective towards each picture. Do not try to tell us that just because we do not work dispatch that we cannot deem a vehicle to be obnoxiously parked.

I dont know Galway Garda station but the Garda van is parked in a manner in which a wheel chair or a pram would not be able to get past which is unacceptable.

I presume the person who took the picture went into the station and reported it to the Superintendent who is in charge of the entire Galway division and all its Garda vehicles..

Any reasonably minded person can see that a person in a wheelchair would have to travel on the roadway to get past which is unacceptable.

Traffic jam caused by vehicles obnoxiously parked outside Pearse Street Garda Station.

Photo no doubt taken during some major emergency by a chronologically endowed though follicly challenged male person. :)

dcctransportcommiteeare.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Back in the real world the Superintendant would never hear about it nor would anybody of likely importance. Most people would be told to mind their own business.

Gardai are also human like everybody else. Nobody likes getting in trouble, nobody likes getting complained to or about. Swept under the carpet and the complainer(for want of a better word) would be told "where to go".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

That last car doesn't even have the HAZARDS ON

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Jesus, we're back in the circular obnoxious Garda parking discussion...

No problem with posting those pics, but would it be reasonable to ask that we agree that whenever we're posting a picture of an obnoxiously parked Garda vehicle (official or private) that's in the vicinity of a Garda station, we state in the post whether we brought this to the attention of someone in the station?

Easy to complain (sure, isn't that what this thread's about? :p), but it'd be nice to see some action too.
    All too often it's impossible to identify these obnoxious parkers, so all we can do is to shake our heads in confusion. Where we can identify them, wouldn't it be nice to make a bit of a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Are they not allowed to eat now???

Oh they can eat all right. The problem is that, as the organisation responsible for enforcing the law, they shouldn't be giving bad example by breaking the law for such a routine matter as grabbing a bit of grub. It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that they'll need to get food or have a break at some stage on their shift, so they should do what it takes to plan for this event without having to break traffic law.

kbannon wrote: »
    Here we go again.

Sorry gents but this is nonsense. If those few seconds of delay involved in parking legally was actually relevant, then they shouldn't be going for lunch in the 'company car' in the first place - they should spend their shift sitting in the van with engine revving ready to respond to the emergency. Or one of them should have stayed in the van outside to facilitate a speedy exit. This has nothing to do with emergency response, and has everything to do with a lazy and arrogant attitude that will be changed over time.

Absolutely right.
    Berty wrote: »
    Back in the real world the Superintendant would never hear about it nor would anybody of likely importance. Most people would be told to mind their own business.

Gardai are also human like everybody else. Nobody likes getting in trouble, nobody likes getting complained to or about. Swept under the carpet and the complainer(for want of a better word) would be told "where to go".

That's where the Garda Ombudsman Commission comes in handy. THey don't generally sweep things under the carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Stingray

photo12031111.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 43,889 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The SuperValu in Ballisodare Sligo.. plenty of spaces around but that's just sloppy.

Photo0100.jpg

Middle aged woman who then just left her trolley in the middle of the exit out.

You can see my yellow mustard loaner car (Renault Clio EXTREME!) beside it. My car's in the garage being serviced, so the garage gave me that! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

At the pavillions Swords. Someone left a note on the windshield, I was getting in my car as they were loading the boot hoping they would read it but they just got in and drove off.

Taken with camera phone sorry about quality.

12032011015.jpg

Berty wrote: »

Or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Jet Black wrote: »
    At the pavillions Swords. Someone left a note on the windshield, I was getting in my car as they were loading the boot hoping they would read it but they just got in and drove off.

Taken with camera phone sorry about quality.

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu132/heymcflyx/12032011015.jpg

Dont get me started on the parking in that place - some of the worst I have ever seen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭FunkyExige

Traffic jam caused by vehicles obnoxiously parked outside Pearse Street Garda Station.

dcctransportcommiteeare.jpg

Do you know what the worst thing is. They closed that street off to traffic to create the 'bus corridor'. So normal traffic has to go around the block and take this and that turn to end up 10 seconds down the road. So in otherwords they closed that street off to the mere mortals so they could have extra parking outside the station. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Seasoft

My pet hate... parking on a pedestrian crossing. Here in Tesco carpark, Ashbourne.

5523741062_720e9a908f.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Seasoft wrote: »
    My pet hate... parking on a pedestrian crossing. Here in Tesco carpark, Ashbourne.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5137/5523741062_720e9a908f.jpg

a couple of trolley-related accidents will learn 'em

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

this was last wednesday in Bray. speaks for itself!

iphonepiccies148.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Seasoft wrote: »

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5137/5523741062_720e9a908f.jpg

Some day a child will be killed in a Tesco, worse part is according to them this only happens in Ireland. Their head office have yet to get a complaint about this thats not from Ireland.

Need bollards x 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ratzo Rizzo

Spotted this close to my new place of work in Park West the other week...

pw1j.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

driving was my nemisis today, but this evening I saw something that takes the biscuit, unfortunately I was driving and didn't have a camera handy...

But anyone who's familiar with the turn past the petrol station in Swords heading away from JC's.... I was driving down the road heading for the Rathbeale road (sorry I don't know the name of the street) taking a left onto Rathbeale road, almost parallel with the petrol station.... EXACTLY on the turn of the road was a 2010 BMW top of the range parked bang smack on the corner, I had to go into the right lane to turn left... dangerous if anyone had been turning right from the Rathbeale road

Do you know what your man was doing??? He was emptying bags of rubbish into the public bins on the street.... he had 3 bin bags full of rubbish emptying them into the green bin on the street.

What a cheek.... not only despicable parking! But tight arse to boot!!!!!!!!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement