Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

More Obnoxious parking - ***READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭iknorr

Cork, Hanover Street.

All the cars are parked on double yellows. Inconsiderate **£^£&" who block an apartment entrance & make people move onto the other side of the road while doing a u-turn (road entrance on parallel street running opposite direction).

http://img846.imageshack.us/i/imag0029w.jpg/
    http://img690.imageshack.us/i/imag0030n.jpg/
    http://img714.imageshack.us/i/imag0032p.jpg/
    http://img833.imageshack.us/i/imag0045kz.jpg/
    http://img835.imageshack.us/i/imag0097k.jpg/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Borderfox wrote: »

That Fiesta could be in with a shot in the Skangermobile thread also :eek:

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddywroks

In UL today :eek:

5592488023_7e522ef3f0_b.jpg
    05042011282 by paddywroks, on Flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

That is the ignorant parking I have seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

That looks more like the guy on the outside knows the guy on the inside and is just extracting the urine.

Surely nobody could park like that for real... could they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Could be one of these people that parks in a semi-uniform way, hoping other people will join in and park alongside.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Handbrake fail or UL student practical joke??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    ^
    Makes my blood boil. Ignorance, selfishness and an unshakeable belief that personal convenience trumps all else.

There are a few more cars in the background that seem to be parked either on the pavement or on the grass verge, though none of them as obnoxiously. Others are apparently parked on the road, legally and appropriately.

For the life of me I can't think of a single reason why anyone should feel the need to park anywhere other than in their drive or on the road. Footpath parking is an obnoxious habit that's going to be very hard to eradicate in this country...
    Does it count as parking on the foothpath though if you are in the driveway? I'll admit I often have to do this at the inlaws house often due to the number of multi car families in the area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

phill106 wrote: »
    Does it count as parking on the foothpath though if you are in the driveway? I'll admit I often have to do this at the inlaws house often due to the number of multi car families in the area.

Yes it does. Pedestrians navigate on the designated footpath and come across your abandoned contraption. They have to go out of their way/slow down/walk on muddy grass to get past. How often do you see people sitting on the road restricting/obstructing your motoring movement?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Those Lisburn parking spaces are ridiculously small, any decent sized car would fill them leaving no space to open a door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Try getting around the car in a wheelchair, or with a double-buggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ivanc

paddywroks wrote: »
    In UL today :eek:

5592488023_7e522ef3f0_b.jpg
    05042011282 by paddywroks, on Flickr

Brilliant!

paddywroks wrote: »

I love the way they folded in the mirrors too it's very tight either side of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

h3000 wrote: »
    I love the way they folded in the mirrors too it's very tight either side of them.

Aren't they automatic on that car when you lock it the mirrors fold in ?

at least they were on my sisters one !

robbie_998 wrote: »
    Aren't they automatic on that car when you lock it the mirrors fold in ?

at least they were on my sisters one !

Not too sure about the 307 but anything I've driven with electric mirrors you have to intentionally hold down the lock button until the mirrors fold in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Could be one of these people that parks in a semi-uniform way, hoping other people will join in and park alongside.

Good point. Social psychology might have something to say about the phenomenon. Somebody has to be first, then others join in. The thinking seems to be that if enough people do it then it's not obnoxious. This herd instinct is rampant in the case of footpath parking especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

snubbleste wrote: »
    Yes it does. Pedestrians navigate on the designated footpath and come across your abandoned contraption. They have to go out of their way/slow down/walk on muddy grass to get past. How often do you see people sitting on the road restricting/obstructing your motoring movement?

quite often, but they would be walking rather then sitting. dam pedestrians crossing where they shouldnt or when they shouldnt!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,788 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Good point. Social psychology might have something to say about the phenomenon. Somebody has to be first, then others join in. The thinking seems to be that if enough people do it then it's not obnoxious. This herd instinct is rampant in the case of footpath parking especially.

except there is a hedge behind the other car - they can not reverse out.

I understand the situation you are talking about, and in some cases parking in this way is not, imo, obnoxious, but in this instance.....

I have to think it is someone they know that they are blocking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Not too sure about the 307 but anything I've driven with electric mirrors you have to intentionally hold down the lock button until the mirrors fold in.

That's often the case, but i'm pretty sure Peugeot ones fold when you lock the car.

AFAIK everybody's private property rights end where their driveway ends. There does seem to be a commonly held view that access to a driveway is also private, which may explain why so many people take over the public footpath outside their house as if they had a right to do so. Multi-car families have no special dispensation to park illegally or obnoxiously.

We stayed in a woonerf in the Netherlands a few years ago. We had the use of a car and we had to park it around the corner from where we were staying. No cars were allowed on the residential street, and the speed limit in the area where cars were permitted was 30 or maybe even 20 kph. Bliss.

Try parking elsewhere in the vicinity, then walk to the in-laws. You might like it! :)

• Advertisement

quite often, but they would be walking rather then sitting. dam pedestrians crossing where they shouldnt or when they shouldnt!

All part of our Wild West attitude to road safety, traffic law and a lot else in this country, IMO. Pedestrians cross streets in an irregular fashion because (a) there are not enough pedestrian-priority crossings, and (b) they're participating in our Irish culture of habitually ignoring rules.

If pedestrians tried that in some other countries they'd soon notice the level of public disapproval. But they'd also notice how efficiently things like traffic signals work in their favour, and how many motorists respect the law and yield to pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Don't know about the 307 but it's definitely automatic on the 407.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Try getting around the car in a wheelchair, or with a double-buggy.

Dead right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

In Johnstown yesterday......

- I witnessed this dopey beeeaattch pull up and go into a shop for 10 mins
    - I am not parked on path or double yellow before one of ye wide boys try to catch me out.
    - You can see how far she is from the kerb from the shadows on the ground. To make things even more unfunny , there was a temporary set of traffic lights no less than 15m from the back of her car

04042011423.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

thats not parked its abandoned :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭pcbscott

Not wrote: »
    To be fair, looking at that photograph, whoever marked that carpark seems to have forgotten that cars have doors.

I drive a Landrover which is not the smallest of cars for parking, and the spaces in this car park are tiny im not surprised the VW is parked like that, its how I would ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

24goo40.jpg

This happens on every road and every estate in Ireland. Focing people with disabilities and parents with prams onto the road, its disgraceful.

tomred1 wrote: »
    This happens on every road and every estate in Ireland. Focing people with disabilities and parents with prams onto the road, its disgraceful.

Illegal and obnoxious abuse of pedestrian facilities is absolutely routine in this country. The reason is obvious. To quote the most common insolent response I get from these obnoxious parkers: "Who's going to do anything about it?"

Taken today.

Yes, these Garda officers did just drive by. And no, they were not rushing to answer an emergency call at the time.

03-D-68133.jpg?t=1302129848

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Stingray

photo07042011111.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement