Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

More Obnoxious parking - ***READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Iwannahurl, do you not feel a bit bad walking away from your child to take a picture? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Child? What child? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Child? What child? ;)

This one :P

All taken care of, no worries. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

markpb wrote: »
    Deliberately damaging would be

Yeah. The problem I have is, I can never remember which way the wing mirrors are supposed to fold when I'm trying to make room to squeeze by.

I'm actually close to obsessive compulsive when it comes to parking my car, doing all in my power to make sure I (or my kids) don't damage anyone's property getting in or out, and trying to reduce the risk of somebody damaging mine. I don't want my parking to inconvenience anyone else either. I have two working legs, so if my parking criteria leave me with a bit of a walk it's not a problem. Leave the disabled spots for those less fortunate.

Re: Wolverine's post.
    Room for our cars was a major consideration when we chose our house. The driveway wasn't big enough for two cars so we paid a builder some money to make it wider. People with nowhere to keep cars can't have cars. It's really that simple in my opinion. What's next? I don't have a back garden big enough for my cattle so I'll let them graze on the kids' football pitch.

• Advertisement

Having/finding space to park is a motorist's concern, not a pedestrian's.

The grazing analogy is a good one. I look forward to the day when footpath parking (completely illegal for at least 15 years and perpetually obnoxious) is as socially unacceptable as letting your horses loose to graze (etc) on an estate's green spaces.

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/40771/carna-man-gets-year-off-the-road-for-parking
    A Galway man was put off the road for a year by Judge Mary Devins at this week’s sitting of Ballina District Court.

The vehicle belonging to Sean Geary, Mynish, Feherna, Carna, Galway was reported to gardaí to be blocking the entrance to the ESB building at Teeling Street, Ballina on January 6 2011.

The car had been parked on double yellow lines. A fixed charge penalty notice which was issued was not paid.

Judge Devins convicted and fined the defendant, who was not in court nor represented, €170 for parking on the double yellow line, and also, on an ancillary basis, the judge disqualified the driver from driving for one year.
    From this week's Galway Advertiser - no picture unfortunately.

I'd imagine the ban will be lifted on appeal. I can't imagine any other judge would support the idea of possibly losing somebody their job over parking on a double yellow, unless he had a litany of other vehicular offenses to his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

milltown wrote: »
    I'd imagine the ban will be lifted on appeal. I can't imagine any other judge would support the idea of possibly losing somebody their job over parking on a double yellow, unless he had a litany of other vehicular offenses to his name.

The defendant didn't bother turning up in court - that doesn't go down too well with a judge

Hence I'd say the driving ban was to shock him into taking the courts more seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

January wrote: »
    I know it's attack the post and not the poster but seriously hope I come across that guy with my tank of a double buggy trying to block the footpath when I'm out walking with my two one day, he'll move pretty quick sharpish if he doesn't want the side of his car scrapped to bits...

Damn a Mod on the right side of things, something most be up.
    Don`t worry man, I do the same thing.
    one2one wrote: »
    Have no problem with sticking them under the wiper, usually does the trick. Damaging a vehicle is wrong no matter what they done. Thats their pride and joy most likely, they've (usually) worked hard for it. I know parking on footpaths is a disgrace, and I hate it too, but if anyone tried damaging my car because of it, I would make sure they were charged.

That post is a joke! Your threating to damage his car if he blocks you? Thats morally wrong and illegal. Again, I agree, you should not be made walk out onto the road, as I certainly wouldn't either but damaging a vehicle is too far.

If that`s the case then it should be parked with care and safety in mind.

Its not as if us pram walkers(sounds like a horror movie lol) go out with car scratching in mind, there threatening our life`s by blocking our path, there`s no morals there.
    Slight vehicle damage vs getting hit by a car??? hmmmmmm that`s a tough one.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

The next person who advocates damaging a car will be banned. Back to posting pictures please!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Wow, interesting replies :D

I don't want to entertain this anymore but in my reference, yes there was a garage in the house but there was 4 cars. I own far from a banger but that would make no difference. No I am not in Dublin so overcrowding is not an issue, but I wouldn't trust the car more than 5 metres away from the gate because it was a hole of an estate.

All this aside, if there were double yellow lines or a big "no parking" sign of course I would adhere. Of course there are plenty of situations where parking on a footpath is ignorant and of course dangerous, but not outside a house in the middle of an estate!

This is in a housing estate:

02-W-976.jpg[/QUOTE]

This is downright dangerous on a bend:
    Iwannahurl wrote: »
    94-LD-794.jpg

My 11 cents :P

I have to say this thread is very enjoyable though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

All this aside, if there were double yellow lines or a big "no parking" sign of course I would adhere. Of course there are plenty of situations where parking on a footpath is ignorant and of course dangerous, but not outside a house in the middle of an estate!

There doesn't need to be double yellow lines or a "no parking" sign....parking on a footpath is illegal...period. Forcing people to walk on the road for your own benefit is wrong in all situations no matter where is happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Like Ludo said, you are incorrect on this - the Road Traffic acts specifically ban what you're doing.

Since the same law says that pedestrians must use a footpath where provided, I assume you have no problem with pedestrians walking on the road anytime they like? If I decided to walk in the middle of the road, like this:
    a_businessman_in_the_middle_of_the_road_walking_pe0042141.jpg
    you'd be okay with that? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

He`s going the wrong way, his office is the other way, lol

markpb wrote: »
    Like Ludo said, you are incorrect on this - the Road Traffic acts specifically ban what you're doing.

Since the same law says that pedestrians must use a footpath where provided, I assume you have no problem with pedestrians walking on the road anytime they like? If I decided to walk in the middle of the road, like this:
    a_businessman_in_the_middle_of_the_road_walking_pe0042141.jpg
    you'd be okay with that? :D

Funny, but true :D

In the UK it's illegal just in London, whereas you can decide whether you are endangering lives in the rest of the country. I think this is a better system which should be limited to areas like Dublin or of limited parking.

At home, there is a grass divide between the road and the footpath which is a good idea, especially if you like to keep your car in off of the road. Most roads in Ireland are just too narrow to allow this however.

At home, there is a grass divide between the road and the footpath which is a good idea, especially if you like to keep your car in off of the road. Most roads in Ireland are just too narrow to allow this however.

Argh....grass divides are not for parking on either. They are there to make estates look nice and for people to have a nice environment to live in. Not to be turned into mud patches by people parking on them...absolutely despise people who do this as again they are only thinking of themselves and being too lazy to park properly without considering others.

Ludo wrote: »
    Argh....grass divides are not for parking on either. They are there to make estates look nice and for people to have a nice environment to live in. Not to be turned into mud patches by people parking on them...absolutely despise people who do this as again they are only thinking of themselves and being too lazy to park properly without considering others.

Doesn't mean I park on the grass... but on the extra extension on to the driveway. The footpath and the grass is clear.

Some high horse you're riding this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

163472.jpg

I forgot to attach the picture from my last post here D'oh, local supermarket carpark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

* yawns *. Parking on the footpath is obnoxious, and this is the best you can come up with by way of defence? I'd stop digging, if I were you.

Doesn't mean I park on the grass... but on the extra extension on to the driveway. The footpath and the grass is clear.

So you still park on the footpath and inconvenience people by forcing them off it on to grass...nice. Better than the road I will admit obviously but still selfish.

Ah the high horse is out...right. No point having a discussion with someone who thinks anyone who disagrees with them is on a high horse.

Anan1 wrote: »
    * yawns *. Parking on the footpath is obnoxious, and this is the best you can come up with by way of defence? I'd stop digging, if I were you.

Meh, overall I guess so.
    Reg'stoy wrote: »
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/121845/163472.jpg

I forgot to attach the picture from my last post here D'oh, local supermarket carpark.

Wow, looks like a cluster****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

franksm wrote: »

In fairness, thats pretty good compared to alot of the parkers in that SC. you wouldnt mind, but its a massive car park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/121845/163472.jpg

ahhh JC's...come for the bargains, stay because you can't get ****in out :pac:

Ludo wrote: »
    So you still park on the footpath and inconvenience people by forcing them off it on to grass...nice. Better than the road I will admit obviously but still selfish.

Ah the high horse is out...right. No point having a discussion with someone who thinks anyone who disagrees with them is on a high horse.

I've drawn a nice picture so you don't need to be confused anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Nobody was confused, you were quite clear:
    I'd rather take over the whole footpath before some twat passes and scrapes the whole side of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Merbhp

Watched this person drive the wrong way up the car park direction and and "Deck Land" the Mazda into the bay, bang off the blue car with her door and just rush away - note the damage on her osr.

Not confused at all...As you were so nice to draw a pic...I have returned the favour.

• Advertisement

Merbhp wrote: »
    Watched this person drive the wrong way up the car park direction and and "Deck Land" the Mazda into the bay, bang off the blue car with her door and just rush away - note the damage on her osr.

Judging by the comments on here I guess she/he deserved the damage. :rolleyes:

Look at that rear right wheel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement