Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

More Obnoxious parking - ***READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Are An Post exempt from parking rules also??
    165191.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

KoolKid wrote: »
    Are An Post exempt from parking rules also??

Yes if he's on the footpath outside a Garda station and he's delivering the pay cheques!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭TheAnswer

phill106 wrote: »
    after all the buildup, i was expecting a hummer parked ontop of a handicapped person in a mother and baby spot on a double yellow line next to a pedestrian crosswalk!

When did we start calling them crosswalks? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Sligo. Look under the Van

5971b33f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

At least every second week day there is a Pallas Foods truck parked exactly like this in Maynooth while making deliveries, usually taking a good deal of time. As can be seen in one photo, this not only impedes the footpath, but also renders a lane of traffic utterly useless, meaning the throughput at the junction is frequently half what it could be.

DSC00056.JPG

DSC00057.JPG

Asshats.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

That truck and other delivery vans etc are a right pain in the ass there alright. It's a shoite junction at the best of times.

Right opposite the copshop too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Is that a parking ticket under your windscreen wiper?

If so. Are you not also an obnoxious parker? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Beer Baron wrote: »

I think its fairly clear that it is the refletion of the P&D ticket on the dash.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Why not contact Pallas Foods and Spring Grove Services and ask them why their drivers can't obey the road traffic laws?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Cheeky so and so! As pointed out though, I'm anything but an obnoxious parker, and it is in fact a pay and display ticket that I have just been too lazy to remove.

Thank Christ the second picture shows the ticket being reflected or I'd never live it down!

vicwatson: I have considered that before, and now that I've actually gone to the bother of taking the photos (i.e. have evidence), I just might send them an email, though I don't expect it to do any good, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

vicwatson: I have considered that before, and now that I've actually gone to the bother of taking the photos (i.e. have evidence), I just might send them an email, though I don't expect it to do any good, to be honest.

If you don't get satisfaction/are not convinced tell them you'll hand the pics over to the gardai for them to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Stingray

Chap just popped on the hazzards and got out

[IMG][/img]photo192928282.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

This bell end parked up facing up the wrong way on Rathmines Road today. Stayed there for at least 45 minutes blocking the cycle lane and also cars and buses had to swerve around it.

img0226ro.jpg

Just noticed he had his hazard lights on, guess that makes it okay:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Don't forget the solid white line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

you can take up several disable spaces in an enormous, near-empty car park (M1 service area, Lusk) when yer a fat bastard in a Transit :rolleyes:

2gshpbr.jpg

another moron who insists on parking arseways for no apparent reason
    1z2mveo.jpg

Couldn't be bothered trying to locate the idiot who blocked the path here so I left a nice scratch on the side of their bumper whilst trying to safely navigate between wall and vehicle with my daughter's buggy, KMA if you have a problem with that.
    2zxrpxh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Absurdum wrote: »

2gshpbr.jpg

another moron who insists on parking arseways for no apparent reason

Couldn't be bothered trying to locate the idiot who blocked the path here so I left a nice scratch on the side of their bumper whilst trying to safely navigate between wall and vehicle with my daughter's buggy, KMA if you have a problem with that.
    2zxrpxh.jpg

Did you take these pictures through a jam jar bottle- very distorted...

And scratching someones car is not cool, whatever the circumstances- very bad form:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

And scratching someones car is not cool, whatever the circumstances- very bad form:mad::mad::mad:
    If the car were parked properly i'd completely agree with you, but I wouldn't expect anyone to push a pram out onto the road to protect the paintwork on a car blocking the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Anan1 wrote: »
    If the car were parked properly i'd completely agree with you, but I wouldn't expect anyone to push a pram out onto the road to protect the paintwork on a car blocking the footpath.

It's not exactly the M50 we're dealing with here and it sounds like the poster was proud of the fact that he/she had scratched the car... Most likely the driver was being a douche and parked badly but maybe there was some (unlikely) reason for it...! Are we giving disgruntled pram drivers permission to damage cars to make a point....??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I know where that picture was taken, it's near me. It's not a hugely busy road and even in the picture you can see a clear footpath on the other side of the road. Terrible parking, but touching someone's car is serious bad form. Karma will come back for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

Jimdagym wrote: »
    I know where that picture was taken, it's near me. It's not a hugely busy road and even in the picture you can see a clear footpath on the other side of the road. Terrible parking, but touching someone's car is serious bad form. Karma will come back for that one.

Indeed, imagine the next time the person who owns the scratched car driving through town and someone crosses the road a tad too close to them, when they don't have the little green man. Should he knock them down?
    I don't know how many times on william street/oconnell street in limerick people push buggies out into traffic forcing me to brake sharply, which is dangerous.
    As this is dangerous, and the buggy pushers fault, should we not stop then?
    Have the same "Ooops i tipped your buggy" mentality?

Just because someone is parked obnoxiously, does not give you carte Blanche to commit criminal damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭911s

This bell end parked up facing up the wrong way on Rathmines Road today. Stayed there for at least 45 minutes blocking the cycle lane and also cars and buses had to swerve around it.

img0226ro.jpg

Just noticed he had his hazard lights on, guess that makes it okay:rolleyes:

While not condoning this parking, if you read the signwriting on the van you will see that it belongs to a glass company. There's a good chance that they are fitting new glass to adjacent shopfront, and as you may have noticed (being so observant) glass carrying frames on the sides of these vans are fitted on the offside, which means parking against the traffic to unload what is normally an very heavy fragile sheet of glass. If. as you say the van was parked here for only 45min then they must have worked very fast to unload and fit glass and cause minimum disruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

It's not exactly the M50 we're dealing with here and it sounds like the poster was proud of the fact that he/she had scratched the car... Most likely the driver was being a douche and parked badly but maybe there was some (unlikely) reason for it...! Are we giving disgruntled pram drivers permission to damage cars to make a point....??!!

It does`nt have to be the M50 a road is a road, it only takes one car going at 25MPH or so to do some damage, sometimes a quiet road can be just as dangerous as a busy one, you tend to let your guard down and think there`s nothing coming.

We`ve had this argument over and over, giving out to people who might scratch a car while trying to pass, I think the principal is being completely over looked, if that person had parked there car in the correct space this kind of thing would not happen, a scratch vs a life...hmmm,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Not this again ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

As per the Charter, we neither condone nor advocate criminal damage on this forum.

Can we please drop the "is it ok to damage an obnoxiously parked car?" discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Anan1 wrote: »

Exactly.

I wouldn't call it being proud, I did my best to avoid any contact. There are plenty of places within a 60 second walk to park safely and without inconveniencing other road and path users.
    Jimdagym wrote: »

As above, I'm not crossing the road to avoid some idiot who is too lazy and stupid to park their car properly. The road can be quite busy and is quite narrow. Karma can suck it up.

Any investigations into alleged criminal damage can be directed to my PM inbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

This muppet was parked:

At the door
    In a yellow box
    Across Two disabled spaces
    And he was smoking out the window of the car in a petrol station

What an idiot.

Even the Hippo is laughing at his parking abilities

Applegreen celbridge
    SY0MVh.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

-Chris- wrote: »
    As per the Charter, we neither condone nor advocate criminal damage on this forum.

Can we please drop the "is it ok to damage an obnoxiously parked car?" discussion.

I empathise with Absurdum's KMA response, but such action is not something I am keen on myself. So I'm not going to add to the above discussion, though I would like to make the following observation.

If discussion about damaging footpath-obstructing cars with buggies etc is to be excluded from this thread (with good reason, as per Charter), then by the same token making excuses about parking on footpaths must be disallowed also.

There is no equivalence between bad parking at, say, a shopping centre, and a vehicle illegally and obnoxiously parked on a public footpath. Yet I have seen few excuses offered for the former in this thread, and repeated attempts to justify the latter. Criminal damage is illegal, and footpath obstruction is illegal (in fact, such behaviour may well be dealt with under Criminal Law, like many other motoring offences). The Charter should condone or advocate neither, IMO. Advocating criminal damage to cars raises motorists' hackles in this thread. Justifying or excusing footpath obstruction does the same to pedestrians, especially us buggy-pushers perhaps.

Just a thought, constructively intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I empathise with Absurdum's KMA response, but such action is not something I am keen on myself. So I'm not going to add to the above discussion, though I would like to make the following observation.

If discussion about damaging footpath-obstructing cars with buggies etc is to be excluded from this thread (with good reason, as per Charter), then by the same token making excuses about parking on footpaths must be disallowed also.

There is no equivalence between bad parking at, say, a shopping centre, and a vehicle illegally and obnoxiously parked on a public footpath. Yet I have seen few excuses offered for the former in this thread, and repeated attempts to justify the latter. Criminal damage is illegal, and footpath obstruction is illegal (in fact, such behaviour may well be dealt with under Criminal Law, like many other motoring offences). The Charter should condone or advocate neither, IMO. Advocating criminal damage to cars raises motorists' hackles in this thread. Justifying or excusing footpath obstruction does the same to pedestrians, especially us buggy-pushers perhaps.

Just a thought, constructively intended.

Fair point, my thoughts on that are (and hopefully we can draw a line under this conversation please):
    1) By the definition of the Charter, we shouldn't be condoning any form of illegal parking.
    2) Damaging cars deliberately is also illegal, and also shouldn't be condoned on this forum.

The reason for this thread is to highlight obnoxious parkers, no doubt brought about through frustration that parking regulations aren't being enforced. It's a healthy thing, drawing attention to people's obnoxiousness and allowing the poster to let off some steam.

Virtually all parking in this thread is illegal, but it's not the "illegal parking thread", it's the "obnoxious parking thread".
    Therefore if a car's parked illegally it's probably reasonable for someone to argue as to whether the parking is obnoxious or not, whereas there is no point in discussing whether it's illegal or not (it's a black and white issue, and wouldn't be condoned on this forum anyway).

This thread is primarily set up as a way for people to vent their spleens about obnoxious parking, hopefully removing the desire to inflict damage on the car or driver who's parked obnoxiously.
    This thread is hard work for us, the Mods, and if it becomes too combative between posters, or if it loses the "fun" aspect and purely turns into documentation of parking infractions, it'll be seen as not worth the hassle and the thread will be closed.

To summarise:
    • Condoning illegal behaviour is against the Charter - whether it's damaging cars or parking illegally.
    • Arguing that a car isn't parked obnoxiously isn't the same as arguing it's not parked illegally.
    • Obnoxiousness is in the eye of the beholder, but hopefully the parking highlighted here is posted in the light-hearted spirit of the thread.
    • If the thread becomes a hassle, it will be locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭TheAnswer

Sligo. Look under the Van

5971b33f.jpg

What? is it a disabled spot? I used to get deliveries from a company and the driver had two (yes, TWO) artificial legs from the knee down, dead sound bloke and he would have been allowed park his van (a transit iirc)
    in that spot. Yiz are all wonderful, driving around, taking photos of badly parked vehicles. Do yiz meet up for beers/coffees and slap each other on the back for another well taken photo?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

TheAnswer wrote: »
    Do yiz meet up for beers/coffees and slap each other on the back for another well taken photo?

Sometimes, here's a photo of us from the last meet-up...

bad-car-parking-03.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement