Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

More Obnoxious parking - ***READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

If you're paying 3eur an hour, it'd make the parking dents caused by other idiots that little bit harder to swallow - I'd say that's his reasoning.

I will definitely make it on to this thread someday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Seperate wrote: »
    If you're paying 3eur an hour, it'd make the parking dents caused by other idiots that little bit harder to swallow - I'd say that's his reasoning.

Me too, I make these guys look considerate.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Hang on. If the 07 Audi driver above had parked any further over the white line he'd be ... in the next parking bay.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Hang on. If the 07 Audi driver above had parked any further over the white line he'd be ... in the next parking bay.

Ah, but if he was sideways he could take up 3 spaces, that's what I'm talking about...!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭giggsirish

Cant begin to think what goes through the heads of people whom decide they can park when and where they want (emergencies etc aside) Taken in Dunes car park Newbridge. One parent and child space not enough . I'll take two thanks!!!
    173413.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

^^^ Maybe they had twins! ^^^

691677.jpg

I'll get my coat...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Well I have the Dent Doctor calling around (again :rolleyes:) on Wednesday to sort out some damage caused by obnoxious parkers that manage to park between white lines but don't seem to comprehend not opening their doors into other people's cars. I'm with the two lads above on this one.
    While I would not park in a disabled space, child friendly parking bay or on a foot path/pedestrian crossing I will, where possible park in such a way as to limit the potential for damage. It has happended to me too many times where damage has been caused. I will choose a location far way from the doors of a premises, generally away from where lazy people tend to park anyway, the same lazy people that can't manage the simple task of opeing a door without causing damage. I have my chosen spots for my regular haunts.
    I've had the dent doctor out every year for the past few years, had my car reversed into, twice & all while I was "parked between the lines", well no more. I'm certain that my car will appear on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Well I have the Dent Doctor calling around (again :rolleyes:) on Wednesday to sort out some damage caused by obnoxious parkers that manage to park between white lines but don't seem to comprehend not opening their doors into other people's cars. I'm with the two lads above on this one.
    While I would not park in a disabled space, child friendly parking bay or on a foot path/pedestrian crossing I will, where possible park in such a way as to limit the potential for damage. It has happended to me too many times where damage has been caused. I will choose a location far way from the doors of a premises, generally away from where lazy people tend to park anyway, the same lazy people that can't manage the simple task of opeing a door without causing damage. I have my chosen spots for my regular haunts.
    I've had the dent doctor out every year for the past few years, had my car reversed into, twice & all while I was "parked between the lines", well no more. I'm certain that my car will appear on this thread.
    There's a world of a difference between inconveniencing yourself to protect your car and forcing the inconvenience onto others. One isn't obnoxious, the other is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Rebel, don't be so quick to straddle two spaces.....
    Sorry but no photos but I saw the funniest this over the weekend. I was a passenger and as we came into a car park ( of a supermarket) I noticed a 3 series BMW straddling 2 spaced. I laughed and explained to the driver what I was laughing about and what the BMW driver was doing. All well and good until we were leaving.
    Two more cars had also straddled either side of the BMW, from what looked like sheer ignorance and left approx 2 to 3 feet of space either side of the BMW. To be fair, the markings were poor, so you could see why it happened. They were also fairly close to the door.
    I couldn't be consoled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

cadaliac wrote: »
    Rebel, don't be so quick to straddle two spaces.....

I generally don't need to do that, usually I'll park at an end if row spot with my car straddling a hatched area or in the multi storey for work I'll park on the half moon that is at the turn up to the next floor (plenty big, was originally marked as parking spaces, realty it wasn't deep enough, I guess that's why they removed the markings, but it's fine for a car parked across the markings if you know what I mean).
    If you do have to straddle two spots then diagonally is the way to do it, to re-iterate again before the high horse brigade come in it is only at the far end of a car park that's got plenty of space that I do this. So it shouldn't inconvenience anybody but me. What is does mean though is that some tool might take a picture & stick it up here as being obnoxious, that's why I was thinking I might appear on these pages. I rarely use multi-storey car parks (the one at work has 17 spaces for us but there's only 7 people in office so I would actually be entitled to take nearly 2.5 spaces if I wanted! :D We're paying for them even though they are not marked out!) & in normal circumstances I would never take up more than one spot, I'd just drive to the top (to avoid the lazy folk) & look for an end spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Bad parking around Rathfarnham SC is not restricted to the car park itself.

imag0012ho.jpg

There is a cul de sac around the corner where there was plenty of spaces to park up, but I had to walk onto the road to get by this heap.

imag0013ud.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

Anan1 wrote: »
    There's a world of a difference between inconveniencing yourself to protect your car and forcing the inconvenience onto others. One isn't obnoxious, the other is.

It's impossible to know how other people care for their car and yours when parking at a shopping centre, for example. I tend to automatically go towards the back of the carpark (much to mrs Seperate's frustration), but even then I usually come back to a micra parked practically on my door, despite numerous other spaces being available.

I tend to usually do take up two spaces at the back of a car park these days. In reality, i'm not inconveniencing anyone, because there are loads of spaces around, many closer to the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Have to say ill always stay between the lines but i am very careful about were i choose to park as best i can. ill always go near the back of a car park egardless of how much my passengers complain about needing a taxi etc. Also if i do need to park between cars ill always look not fro newest cars but the cleanest cars one that look like there owner clean and care for the car and if I see a baby seat in the back im driving back out to find another spot.

Once in the back of a car left it without a car on either side returned to see to some gob****e hitting my back door with his door taking his baby out the back seat he couldnt understand why i was angry at all when i had a go at him. Some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Apologies if this has already been posted, but I don't think it has...

Larry David, hero.
    "Society can't function like this." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

It was 'Bring Your Bad Parking To Work' day in Limerick today, it would take a special brand of obnoxious parking to be crowned king, but......
    DSC00057.jpg

I myself pulled up behind this car(Avensis) assuming it was slowed in traffic(theres a sharp right hander just up from this spot) only to realise there wasnt even a driver inside!
    No hazard lights and space in the actual parking spots on its left!!
    The car behind had just pulled up again assuming the car had stopped in traffic and wasn't actually parked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

That has to be one of the worst ones in this thread!! Just shocking!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Killinator wrote: »
    It was 'Bring Your Bad Parking To Work' day in Limerick today, it would take a special brand of obnoxious parking to be crowned king, but......
    http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g95/HootKillinator/DSC00057.jpg

I myself pulled up behind this car(Avensis) assuming it was slowed in traffic(theres a sharp right hander just up from this spot) only to realise there wasnt even a driver inside!
    The car behind had just pulled up again assuming the car had stopped in traffic and wasn't actually parked.

There was an awful lot of bad parking in Limerick City today! I mentioned on the Limerick city forum a street that is just outside a parking garage that has DYL's, is constantly parked on and I have never once seen a Traffic Warden/Garda handing out tickets and its very frustrating as its a narrow street.

Found this in said parking garage beside the street:
    2011-09-06171035.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Lucky for this lady, there was nothing coming the other way.
    173487.JPG

Lucky for this lady, there was nothing coming the other way.

Is it a one way for bikes aswell or a 2 way??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

One way afaik

• Advertisement

From the picture of the bike on the cycle lane it looks like a contraflow cycle lane. Although I don't even know if cycle lanes are unidirectional by definition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Anan1 wrote: »
    From the picture of the bike on the cycle lane it looks like a contraflow cycle lane. Although I don't even know if cycle lanes are unidirectional by definition?

Afaik they are unidirectional, but I couldn't point you to the SI.

This particular lane is contraflow for definite.

Do you mean the contraflow lane?

One-way for cyclists, since they will be on the road travelling in the opposite direction, just like other traffic.

@Cyclopath2001: have you (or anyone else here, come to think of it) ever seen a vehicle being ticketed or otherwise penalised for this obnoxious parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

It's impossible to know how other people care for their car and yours when parking at a shopping centre, for example. I tend to automatically go towards the back of the carpark (much to mrs Seperate's frustration), but even then I usually come back to a micra parked practically on my door, despite numerous other spaces being available.

I tend to usually do take up two spaces at the back of a car park these days. In reality, i'm not inconveniencing anyone, because there are loads of spaces around, many closer to the door.

There seems to be tacit approval of your strategy or perhaps this post wasn't read by all.

What gives you more of a right than others to take more than one space ?

Perhaps you're just more forward thinking than others or perhaps your car is somehow better than everyone elses or perhaps you are a superior being or perhaps it's just obnoxious whatever way you dress it.

Do you hold a seat in busy restaurants for your family that are more important than the people that have paid up and are looking to sit down?

Do you cruise in Lane 3 at the limit even though there may be nobody behind you - just because you can?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

Killinator wrote: »
    DSC00057.jpg

That's just outside the social welfare office and is notorious for people abandoning their cars while they pop in to sign on. Have a look one day that it's piddling rain, it's like a car park on that street. BTW, there's only 2 parking wardens in Limerick city at the moment so the chances of getting a ticket are slim enough.

That's just outside the social welfare office and is notorious for people abandoning their cars while they pop in to sign on. Have a look one day that it's piddling rain, it's like a car park on that street. BTW, there's only 2 parking wardens in Limerick city at the moment so the chances of getting a ticket are slim enough.

Which building is the SW office?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Which building is the SW office?

It would be off screen over the left shoulder of the person taking the picture. A lot of people also assume this street is one way because the exit on Taits square is one way. They always get a shock when I drive the other way. :D

Yeah Social Welfare day is a freaking joke around there for parking. They really do just abandon their cars.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    It would be off screen over the left shoulder of the person taking the picture. A lot of people also assume this street is one way because the exit on Taits square is one way. They always get a shock when I drive the other way. :D

Yeah Social Welfare day is a freaking joke around there for parking. They really do just abandon their cars.

I was really wondering which side of the road. If it's to the right side of the Avensis (opposite side to the photographer) then maybe the driver just wanted to avoid walking an extra 2 metres or so when crossing the road. Such energy saving is a fundamental pillar of Obnoxious Parking.

E39MSport wrote: »
    There seems to be tacit approval of your strategy or perhaps this post wasn't read by all.

What gives you more of a right than others to take more than one space ?

Perhaps you're just more forward thinking than others or perhaps your car is somehow better than everyone elses or perhaps you are a superior being or perhaps it's just obnoxious whatever way you dress it.

Do you hold a seat in busy restaurants for your family that are more important than the people that have paid up and are looking to sit down?

Do you cruise in Lane 3 at the limit even though there may be nobody behind you - just because you can?

As per Tzetze's little vid, there is no rational defense for this behaviour. I've said it to a few people and the best any of them could come up with was a variant on 'But what's it to do with you?' They know they're being obnoxious, and they just don't care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

173538.jpg

173537.jpg

Tesco's Naas, in fairness how could you lock this car and walk away without noticing how far you'd left it out on the road.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement