Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

More Obnoxious parking - ***READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

Parent and child spaces - You did choose to have children didn't you? You can't legally demand a bigger space.
    When I was growing up there wasn't any of these spaces and it wasnt a problem.
    I have a large car and spaces here are small enough - do I think I should have a bigger space? No

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

heate wrote: »
    Parent and child spaces - You did choose to have children didn't you? You can't legally demand a bigger space.
    I have a large car and spaces here are small enough - do I think I should have a bigger space? No

LOL When I was young my father took the car to work so we walked everywhere. People with a weeks shopping in the bus. :D

Posh folks got a taxi home with shopping and kids. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Who's demanding anything? The peopel that own the businesses and the land have decided to provide these spaces so while your a guest on their land, you should abide by their rules (all of them). If you dont want to then dont use their land/services etc.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

So...What's the problem exactly? You don't want a bigger space. Parents do.

It is a courtesy designed to make it easier for parents to come along and spend money in shops. If you don't like it, don't shop there. Complaining on the internet won't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

More Obnoxious parking, Raheen Limerick..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Scealta_saol

cython wrote: »
    Junction in the middle of Maynooth between Main Street and the Straffan Road the on Monday night (apologies for crappy quality, but phone camera + low light = mess. The car is fully on the footpath in case it can't be made out):

That always happens there. Drives me crazy - just because it's a wide footpath doesn't mean you're not causing an obstruction to pedestrians and in the long term ruining the footpath...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

They are makey uppy spaces that have no more legal meaning than graffiti.

As I have been reminded at least once, this thread is about Obnoxious Parking, not necessarily illegal parking.

Lots of things in life are makey uppy. It's just that some makey uppy things -- like the law -- are generally taken very seriously and you can end up paying a very un-makey-uppy price for offending.

Common courtesy is makey uppy, but people tend to regard being an ignorant sh:t as bad form. The Motors Charter is very makey uppy, but I invite you to try breaking a few of the rules to see how makey uppy a response you get. ;)

I was in a shopping centre car-park today, with kids but without camera. For reasons I won't go into I elected to wait for one of only three P&C spaces. I finally got a space, did the shopping, packed groceries and kids into the car and got ready to leave. After I reversed out, the driver of a large pick-up took the space. Realising he had no kids on board, and giving him the benefit of any doubt, I rolled down the window and said "maybe you didn't notice, but these are family spaces?" The driver, able-bodied and in his early sixties, replied "I have a family". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

179410.jpg

He was there for a good while with the auld hazzards flashing. Multiple buses had to pull out around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

bop_1.jpg
    03-MH-6608

On double yellows, narrow path, wrong side of the road, a steep-ish climb -- take your pick. Seems like a common occurrence, even though there's a car park across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

He was there for a good while with the auld hazzards flashing. Multiple buses had to pull out around him.

Sure, he/she was only dropping off some food and clean clothes for the protestors. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

17102011142.jpg

p1120239.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I was in a shopping centre car-park today, with kids but without camera. For reasons I won't go into I elected to wait for one of only three P&C spaces. I finally got a space, did the shopping, packed groceries and kids into the car and got ready to leave. After I reversed out, the driver of a large pick-up took the space. Realising he had no kids on board, and giving him the benefit of any doubt, I rolled down the window and said "maybe you didn't notice, but these are family spaces?" The driver, able-bodied and in his early sixties, replied "I have a family". :D

Hahahaha!
    He got you there!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

dgt wrote: »
    17102011142.jpg

What is happening in that photo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Victor wrote: »
    What is happening in that photo?

A space big enough for a go kart is being taken up by someone in a Focus...

But it doesn't fit? A-ha they parked it diagonally!!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Whats the story with the Transit? Did it go down the steps, through the rail and into the bay?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

what are those parent and child spaces spaces about anyway :confused:

It's so the parent has more room to put a pram beside the door and lift the baby into it. Or, in the case of older children who don't need prams, so they don't accidentally slam the door into the car beside them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

tigerblob wrote: »
    It's so the parent has more room to put a pram beside the door and lift the baby into it. Or, in the case of older children who don't need prams, so they don't accidentally slam the door into the car beside them.
    M&C spaces are usually located close to the shopping centre door or footpath to reduce the need for smallies to walk across busy carparks thus lowering the risks to them (and the centre owners liability). Once they're tall enough to be seen their parents should be parking with the plebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

m5aj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭downey2003

dgt wrote: »
    17102011142.jpg

p1120239.jpg
    But it's a white van!:eek:

Hahahaha!
    He got you there!:D

He certainly did! I'll choose my words more carefully next time, eg "Mother and Baby". Let some lazy selfish oaf try to get out of that one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    He certainly did! I'll choose my words more carefully next time, eg "Mother and Baby". Let some lazy selfish oaf try to get out of that one!

What about fathers and babies? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Thoie wrote: »
    What about fathers and babies? ;)
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

what are those parent and child spaces spaces about anyway :confused:

marketing, nothing more. It's so stores like Tesco can pretend they are pro family and care about people so families with kids will shop there more, them being the biggest spenders on foodstuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

6284947477_4beeddf706_z.jpg

Even the late Steve Jobs was at it!

Also, more info on his eternal lack of number plates here:
    http://www.edibleapple.com/2011/10/27/the-story-behind-steve-jobs-mercedez-benz-and-its-missing-license-plate/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

wut a prick!! Nice car though!

Thats the way to have a disabled space. The image at the back of the space so that there is no excuse for not knowing.

"oh I didn't know it was a disabled space because the logo is under the car" (I have heard this excuse)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Parked in an a complete obnoxious position considering the amount of spaces close by in the in-famous parkway retail park
    2011-10-28132005.jpg

marketing, nothing more. It's so stores like Tesco can pretend they are pro family and care about people so families with kids will shop there more, them being the biggest spenders on foodstuff.

Courtesy, practicality, pragmatism and marketing, IMO.

Shoppers with children are probably the biggest spenders, and having the children in tow can make shopping a hassle. Larger spaces nearer the door make the chore a bit easier.

Hijacking of P&C spaces by petty ill-mannered gobsh:tes occurs primarily because there are lots of said PIGs around, but also because they know that in all likelihood they will get away with it. I'm not aware of any carpark where such PIGs are clamped, but it would be nice to know that it happens somewhere at least occasionally. At €100 a lesson, say, even PIGs might learn fast.

Wont-be-clamped-actually.jpg

• Advertisement

That Supervalu is a friggin joke. Always has been. Oddly enough it has a free car park downstairs but then again it does take a lot of work to get in and out(because people block the entrance/exit).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement