Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

More Obnoxious parking - ***READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Yes, that's two parking spaces - Clickie make me biggie.

zzzzzzz_thumb.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

^^ Thats a disgrace. At least leave a note under a wiper.
    Even better, print those pictures and leave them under a wiper next time.

I have once or twice left notes under wipers, only to see ignoramus come back and either take the note and throw in unread on the ground or just drive off without seeing it.
    Later then if they where parked arseways and I could block them in by parking legally, I did that.
    Got some nice reactions of people who couldn't understand how I could be so thoughtless and selfish.
    I stopped doing that after once finding the car I blocked in gone and a black bumper mark all along my car.
    The I switched to lifting the wipers, folding in their mirrors, detaching the wiperblades, detaching the aerial and leaving them on the roof.
    Makes a nice point without doing any damage.
    THAT got their attention, reaction ranged from shock to horror to outright hissy fit and tantrums.
    There is no sight more beautiful on earth than some ignorant bastard going purple in the face and doing a little freakout dance.
    Not that they will ever learn their lesson, these people are ignorant by basic design, it is bred into their DNA, every single fiber of their body has been soaked in ignorant from the womb.
    So I now do nothing to them, not worth the hassle, except take their picture, but only sometimes and I can't even be arsed posting them here.

Now, on another point:
    Here's a petrol station in Lahinch that has double yellows in front of the petrol pumps.
    By law, no one should be allowed to stop there to get petrol.
    Some brainless bureaucrat obviously just implemented some decision without thinking (obviously the very definition of bureaucrat), so the Irish solution is to just ignore it, by the public, garage owner and local law enforcement.
    Honestly I can't blame anyone for stopping there, putting double yellows in front of petrol pumps is obviously idiotic and they should shoot the guy who had the idea, the guy who implemented it and whoever painted those lines.
    Obviously no thought process in any of their brains.

181241.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Antikythera

The I switched to lifting the wipers, folding in their mirrors, detaching the wiperblades, detaching the aerial and leaving them on the roof.
    Makes a nice point without doing any damage.

This is criminal damage. I bet you only do it when the owner is not looking.
    Now, on another point:
    Here's a petrol station in Lahinch that has double yellows in front of the petrol pumps.
    By law, no one should be allowed to stop there to get petrol.
    Some brainless bureaucrat obviously just implemented some decision without thinking (obviously the very definition of bureaucrat), so the Irish solution is to just ignore it, by the public, garage owner and local law enforcement.
    Honestly I can't blame anyone for stopping there, putting double yellows in front of petrol pumps is obviously idiotic and they should shoot the guy who had the idea, the guy who implemented it and whoever painted those lines.
    Obviously no thought process in any of their brains.

Lol! Good level.

Lol! Good level.

Well, the point of lifting the wipers and folding in the mirrors is that it causes no damage whatsoever.
    It simply is the annoyance factor and I'm somewhat of an expert when it comes to be annoying, no special training, just a knack I guess.:p
    I hear it is very common in France to do it.
    Detaching the wiperblades and aerial is probably a bit iffy.
    I don't do either one anymore, just not worth it and those arseholes never learn.
    And of course you do it when they're not looking, very hard to do it whilst being physically attacked I guess.
    As I said, don't do it anymore, just couldn't be arsed. Pointless anyway.

On the petrol station in Lahinch, I think it exists in a time bubble outside our reality, everything in and around it is period 80's, right down to the owner and his pre-86 reg Renault.
    It's like time stood still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Antikythera

On the petrol station in Lahinch, I think it exists in a time bubble outside our reality, everything in and around it is period 80's, right down to the owner and his pre-86 reg Renault.
    It's like time stood still there.

Yeah, strange one. Maybe if there were any markings other than double yellows, people would be ignorant enough to park there. Someone stopping there to fill up, on the other hand, could (would) surely argue, correctly, that they are not technically parking?

• Advertisement

Yeah, strange one. Maybe if there were any markings other than double yellows, people would be ignorant enough to park there. Someone stopping there to fill up, on the other hand, could (would) surely argue, correctly, that they are not technically parking?

Could be, just looked up double yellows and it just says no parking, so I don't know how it effects stopping for a few minutes, but it must be legal, since everyone does it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The DYL in Lahinch/Lehinch make perfect sense, except for the Garage owner.

Before and after the Garage there are spaces recessed into the footpath so any other parking would be contravening the passage of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

Beer Baron wrote: »
    The DYL in Lahinch/Lehinch make perfect sense, except for the Garage owner.

Before and after the Garage there are spaces recessed into the footpath so any other parking would be contravening the passage of traffic.

I'd say the garage owner could've asked for the dyl as it would deter people from parking outside his garage unless they were getting fuel. Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Bad parking or just looking after his car?:rolleyes:
    picture.php?albumid=1910&pictureid=11207

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Parked next to a badly parked cashcow. Who wouldn't mind his M3?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

Could be, just looked up double yellows and it just says no parking, so I don't know how it effects stopping for a few minutes, but it must be legal, since everyone does it.;)
    See 5(2)(e) of ROAD TRAFFIC (TRAFFIC AND PARKING) REGULATIONS, 1997
    If you're not contravening any other parking law you can park on a DYL for 30 minutes for the purposes of loading or unloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

http://www.imgur.com/MxA9O.jpg

seen in north dublin today. Just made no sense

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Someome who's nervous reversing??:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

^^ Thats a disgrace. At least leave a note under a wiper.
    Even better, print those pictures and leave them under a wiper next time.

Better still,get a couple of people together to bounce the back of the car onto the road and wait 'til a truck tears the side out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Lahinch
    I'm surprised they still allow a petrol pump on the footpath. They've long been considered a hazard.

Is that a solid white line in the centre of the road?

Victor wrote: »
    I'm surprised they still allow a petrol pump on the footpath. They've long been considered a hazard.

Is that a solid white line in the centre of the road?

Hard to tell, almost looks like it.
    But whatever it is, it will get ignored, along with all other signs and roadmarkings, as is customary in small, rural villages.
    You should see Ennistymon, it holds shared first place with Corofin in Clare for insane and random parking, just coast to a halt, jump out and she'll be the finesht.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Iwannahurl wrote: »

Same location yesterday. When saving this jpeg I discovered that 05-D-19087 was parked in the exact same spot several months ago. Clearly there is absolutely no effective enforcement taking place on this very busy pedestrian route. It is also evident that the word "obnoxious" has to include those enforcers who wilfully ignore the safety and comfort of vulnerable road users, including infants and disabled people.

05-D-19087-again.jpg

That's behind the courthouse in Galway? I'd put money that the Merc belongs to some pompous barrister down from the big shmoke for the day...lord knows they can afford the ticket!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

How so? Nothing was damaged!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Kildare Outlet Village *shudder*

Place was wedged. Another car had given up trying to park in the spot. A lesser man. :D The place was wedged, no way was I going to let this car away with two spaces

IMG_20111112_141918.jpg

Once again, doesn't look like much from the pic, but I can assure you it was about as close as I could get. They'd folder in my mirror on my return, so hopefully they were inconvenienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

That's behind the courthouse in Galway? I'd put money that the Merc belongs to some pompous barrister down from the big shmoke for the day...lord knows they can afford the ticket!

What ticket?! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wexfordian

Gophur wrote: »
    How so? Nothing was damaged!

Its worth looking at the Criminal Damage Act 1991. I originally looked it up because I thought the people who reflexively go "Criminal Damage" were a bit over the top, but its a very vague act in some ways. Both "dismantle" and "deface" are covered

Criminal Damage Act 1991

Wexfordian wrote: »
    Its worth looking at the Criminal Damage Act 1991. I originally looked it up because I thought the people who reflexively go "Criminal Damage" were a bit over the top, but its a very vague act in some ways. Both "dismantle" and "deface" are covered

Criminal Damage Act 1991

Perhaps that's one way to deal with OPs: one piece at a time, Johnny Cash style? ;)

04.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

That path is too narrow for a buggy or wheelchair, so the obnoxiousness is moot. Where are the nearest bike racks, btw?
    What of those of restricted mobility and the elderly? The visibility is rubbish around that corner, I wouldn't like to be dismounting the pavement if I was using a walking stick or walking from William St West.

The nearest bike racks to my mind are at Raven Terrace maybe 120m away but if we go down that reasoning, we may as well excuse obnoxious car parking for lack of marked spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

That path is too narrow for a buggy or wheelchair, so the obnoxiousness is moot. Where are the nearest bike racks, btw?

When bike parking is provided equivalent to that enjoyed by motorists then by all means have a go at cyclists. Mind you, there's no short of pedal-pushing OPs -- I even have a few pix of them myself... ;)

There's a bike rack outside the Bridge Mills 100 yards away, and another across from the shop at Ravens Terrace 50 yards away.

Across from where those bikes were parked is 4 Star Pizza, a mecca for bad parking!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Perhaps that's one way to deal with OPs: one piece at a time, Johnny Cash style? ;)

]

thats one way to defeat the clampers...

Robbo wrote: »
    What of those of restricted mobility and the elderly? The visibility is rubbish around that corner, I wouldn't like to be dismounting the pavement if I was using a walking stick or walking from William St West.
    The nearest bike racks to my mind are at Raven Terrace maybe 120m away but if we go down that reasoning, we may as well excuse obnoxious car parking for lack of marked spaces.
    Fey! wrote: »
    There's a bike rack outside the Bridge Mills 100 yards away, and another across from the shop at Ravens Terrace 50 yards away.
    Across from where those bikes were parked is 4 Star Pizza, a mecca for bad parking!!!

I don't want to dwell on this too much, since the emphasis here is on photos.

The distance from the top of Munster Avenue to the Bridge Mills is about 300-350 metres.

The bike parking on Raven's Terrace is about 150 metres away.

If either of you think that is adequate availability of bike parking for The West, as this part of Galway City is often called, then clearly you have little or no understanding of cycling as a door-to-door mode of transport.

There are P&D car parking spaces scattered throughout the area, and illegal parking is endemic, which means that cars are being catered for. Why not bikes?

I agree that the bikes are parked obnoxiously, but I also think that the footpath itself is in an obnoxious state and the chronic lack of bike parking in Galway City is also an obnoxious failure on the part of the Council. God knows they have been begged for years to provide more.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Less yappin please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

this would be towed away in any law abiding country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

pr-guru wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    Before you do that, you should obscure the licence plate in that pic, like a good lad.

quoted from first page.

noticed posters leaving the plate numbers visible now. Is this allowed.

Hope it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Loads of free spaces within an 8 second walk as usual, but too far for this one :rolleyes:

181378.jpg

On the subject of hiding reg plates, I hid the innnocent bystander here out of politeness, the guilty party can go and ****e :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement