Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

More Obnoxious parking - ***READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

The usual blatant and uncontrolled footpath piracy during a GAA match back in July.

Footpaths-are-fair-game.jpg

Buses-are-for-losers.jpg

98-CE-5628.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    The council is thinking of outsourcing traffic enforcement, with the sort of parking you see on a daily basis there, I'm all for it. Probably not a popular opinion, but with the insanity going on there, what else is there to be done?

source wrote: »
    I'm all for it once they're on a set payment and don't get commission/bonus for their tickets. ie they work fairly and don't polax the public to line their pockets.

If enforcement outsourcing were done along the lines of GoSafe this might preclude allegations of blackmail and profiteering, as with clamping companies.

There's walls of money to be made, though, at least until obnoxious and illegal parkers start to cop on, which is the whole point of enforcement IMO.

I once estimated, conservatively, that a 100 metre stretch of a single street (albeit a heavily trafficked one) in my neck of the woods saw around 26,000 parking offences annually.

That was a few thousand higher than the total number that received fines in the local authority's entire parking enforcement operation in the same year, yet that 100 metre stretch of busy local road comprised only 0.04% of the total km of local road under the local authority's remit.

Assume that the above 26,000 parking offences per 100 metres grossly overestimates the average annual total by a factor of 100, that there are 250 km of local roads to be monitored, and that the standard parking fine is only €40, then do the sums.

That's an awful lot of potential revenue for a cash-strapped local authority, and a possible tidy profit for a private enforcement company.

Can I buy shares?

What about all of those not paying? What about the appeals? What about all the overheads?

Dublin City Council keeps complaining that clamping would work better for them as not loss making and as more of a deterrent if the fine was increased -- it has not been increased for years and requires a changed in an SI by a minister.

Nearly sure clamping is outsourced at a set fee at least in Dublin City. And the set fee for GoSafe does not slow any profit making related attacks on the system -- see the speed camara thread in motors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

monument wrote: »
    What about all of those not paying? What about the appeals? What about all the overheads?

Dublin City Council keeps complaining that clamping would work better for them as not loss making and as more of a deterrent if the fine was increased -- it has not been increased for years and requires a changed in an SI by a minister.

Nearly sure clamping is outsourced at a set fee at least in Dublin City. And the set fee for GoSafe does not slow any profit making related attacks on the system -- see the speed camara thread in motors.

ara lads give it up, I don't wana see this thread closed...

sssshhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Less pointless yappin or I'll close this thread once and for all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

22nd June 2011: "National Cycle to School & Work Day".

I guess that must be the National school-cyclist, circled in red, doggedly squeezing past OPs on the footpath.

2011NationalCycletoSchoolandWorkDay1.jpg

2011NationalCycletoSchoolandWorkDay2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

oDXPI.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭majnus

Childers road retail park, limerick

aOicA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Tallon wrote: »
    oDXPI.jpg

Only in the good ol' U.S of A.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Stingray

This imbecile (not the driver in photo) 03-D-30389

1 - Parked on restricted lines
    2 - Blocking a vehicular entrance
    3 - Parked on a footpath
    4 - Blocking a roadway

First blow of the horn didn't elicit any reaction, subsequent 2nd and 3rd didn't either, only on the 4th did he breeze out

But hey, he had his hazzards on..

photo0812211.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

parking-angels.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Fair play to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I'm sorry but my cynical sceptic radar has gone on overdrive.

How about people roaming around looking for cars that have tickets that have just gone out of time and slap this on them. Chancers hoping that €40 get put back into the community by some "good deeds" or simple local spending. :(

Bah Humbug

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

They banned that kind of Meter Maids thing in the US. I think it was because of the skimpyness of the uniform though. Great idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

MugMugs wrote: »
    They banned that kind of Meter Maids thing in the US. I think it was because of the skimpyness of the uniform though. Great idea though.
    I see what you mean :)

I suppose the extra 15 minutes would be handy if you were a few minutes late returning to your car. The red box on the plastic wrapper might draw more attention from the wasps, however, letting them know there's less than 15 minutes left on the ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I wonder is meter feeding against the council bye laws?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

If it makes an impact on revenue then it will be!

MugMugs wrote: »
    If it makes an impact on revenue then it will be!

Sur' isn't having your wheelie bin lid blow open during the wind against bye laws so why meter feeding shouldn't be I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Less pointless yappin or I'll close this thread once and for all

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Ah - that's not a space.
    The clue was that it's two feet narrower than your Audi. :rolleyes:
    MI0FSl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

:confused:

1.Please don't question a mod's decision on thread, it serves no purpose and just derails the thread more.If you have any issue ,please feel free to PM.

2.This thread delivers more reported posts and deletions (users don't see this) than any other of the popular threads here in the motors forum.

Some users feel the need :

(a) question why people would go around taking photos of other peoples cars

(b) other users use this thread as their own personal soapbox

I and the other mods have gave countless warnings on thread regarding this and it continues to be ignored.The thread will be closed next time, this is at our discretion.

Have a nice day

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

imag0205wf.jpg

imag0206h.jpg

imag0207p.jpg

2nd pic is the path near the door at Aldi Newlands cross. By the tim eI came out the car on the left had gone and someone else parked there. 3rd pic, a woman a kids pulled in as I was leaving Lidl on Nangor road. No blue badge and not a visible bother on any of them. It's the closest spot to the door and it was a bit nippy... poor dears. I didnt have a proper look but at a glance the 206 didnt seem to have a blue badge either, but cant be 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

A busy 150m throughfare that pedestrians have no alternative but to use.

th_46.jpgth_55.jpgth_48.jpg?t=1323452322th_47.jpgth_45.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

More restrictions imposed on pedestrian throughfares. The Bmw had no tax or insurance on display.

th_44.jpgth_39.jpgth_11.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

You can't quite see it from the photo but to pass him required changing lanes. But at least he looked like he was enjoying his big mac.

Cashel Services, exit 8 M8.

2011-12-09135512.jpg

I also see 3 Trucks on a footpath and what looks like a badly parked Octavia as well. ;)

Beer Baron wrote: »
    I also see 3 Trucks on a footpath and what looks like a badly parked Octavia as well. ;)

Some pr1ck in a silver Passat forced me to park like that.

EPM wrote: »
    Some pr1ck in a silver Passat forced me to park like that.

Any photographic evidence?

i.e without it then it didn't happen

2011-12-09201341.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Denisejcc

This happens regularly, spaces are tight enough to get in and out of! SHE will either be parked like this or actually parked in MY space. Im FUMING!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Denisejcc wrote: »
    This happens regularly, spaces are tight enough to get in and out of! SHE will either be parked like this or actually parked in MY space. Im FUMING!!!
    park 50 mm from her drivers door....might make the point... (probably wont but you'll enjoy doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Denisejcc

I could barely get out my side of the car at all, dont know how shes going to get in her side either. the audacity of some people, Im paying for that space and the other night I had to park on the road and risk being clamped because she took my space! GRRR!!

Rant over :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement