Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

More Obnoxious parking - ***READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I'm confident that this car belonged to a Garda officer on official business, though I can't provide direct proof here. Normally in such cases I take a photo of the front of the car, adding a close-up of anything that would provide extra confirmatory detail (eg a Garda diary). In this case I got a photo of such a diary, but the main photo is from the rear, so I can't make the link explicit here.

In any case, the car was parked in such a way as to obstruct the fire exit of a primary school while the children were inside. Since I find this kind of behaviour disturbing as well as infuriating, I called the Traffic section of the local authority on this occasion. A Traffic Warden came by about half an hour later, and walked up along this line of cars, checking the window of each one. He then walked away again without taking any action. It was perfectly obvious to me why he did nothing -- each car had a sign visible under the windscreen (eg a Garda diary) which was to indicate immunity from parking regulations.

Gda_owned_car_blocks_fire_exit.jpg
    If it involves a member of Gardai, Report it to the Gardai Ombudsman & HSA to get an official recommendation about any parking in front of a Fire Exit Sign. We cannot have another Stardust incident and this time with school children.
    http://www.irishfireservices.ie/pages/historicalfires.htm

I would have called the Fire Station to report the car to have it towed and send the picture to the Press to highlight abuses of Official car in dangerous locations.

And if nothing is done or you just get a brush off, then I would sent it to Radio station like Joe Duffy to embarrassed Politicians which allow anybody through Law that allows certain people exceptions of any vehicles to park and block/obstruct fire doors than could end up killing people in a fire.

Better still call Joe Duffy by phone and tell him your story, You did call the Traffic Warden and they left it alone with no action, they did not bother asking the driver to move out of health and Safety reasons, They too were inconsiderate to the dangers of blocking fire exits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

I reported some of the dangerous and inconsiderate parking on Harcourt Street to the Garda Ombudsman and they replied to me to say the matter was not being pursued due to lack of evidence.

They didn't even ask if I had photographic evidence, so don't expect the Ombudsman to do anything. Gardai can park their official and unofficial cars wherever they like and it sickens me that they are the people entrusted with upholding law and order in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

MrHankey wrote: »
    Official Garda cars are all registered in Dublin ##-D-#### so this is a private car, (maybe belonging to a member):rolleyes:

That's not entirely true. The NSU cars have county reg's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

dgt wrote: »
    Its arubbish picture, but they always park here and cause a nusiance. Ill get a better pic when theyre back :)

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee388/humbrol/Image0237.jpg

Rubbish picture alright, must try harder (or drive slower) :p:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Its arubbish picture, but they always park here and cause a nusiance. Ill get a better pic when theyre back :)

This is a rubbish parking thread - I believe you want the rubbish photography forum.
    >

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Normally I hate obnoxious parking but on a Sunday in Limerick you just have to agree to disagree. Everybody parks illegaly because Limerick has no clampers or traffic wardens on a Sunday. Traffic corps could ticket or tow you but they never do.

Here is a just a sample. BTW I was parked on Double yellow lines in a line of 15 cars myself. "When in Rome" :D Didn't take a picture of my own. ;)

Centra Newport

There is a no reason for that Focus to be abandoned like that.

IMG_0237.jpg

The Fiesta is parked up towards the pump islands which is a pet hate of mine because its hard to get around either side of it. The car park was not busy(loads of spaces) BUT the forecourt was busy he would have been causing bedlam.

IMG_0238.jpg

This is basically a footpath where ALL of these cars are parked on. Further along you have 3/4 cars actually blocking some private parking.

IMG_0239.jpg

This is William Street passing through Limerick City. All of the cars on the left are illegaly parked and more in the other direction.

IMG_0240.jpg

I don't really need to tell you anything about this.

IMG_0242.jpg

Some daft beggar parked this Juke right in the middle of a shopping centre. :confused:

IMG_0244.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

^^

Ah Limerick City.... They can't clamp a horse :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

limklad wrote: »
    If it involves a member of Gardai, Report it to the Gardai Ombudsman & HSA to get an official recommendation about any parking in front of a Fire Exit Sign. We cannot have another Stardust incident and this time with school children.
    http://www.irishfireservices.ie/pages/historicalfires.htm

I would have called the Fire Station to report the car to have it towed and send the picture to the Press to highlight abuses of Official car in dangerous locations.

And if nothing is done or you just get a brush off, then I would sent it to Radio station like Joe Duffy to embarrassed Politicians which allow anybody through Law that allows certain people exceptions of any vehicles to park and block/obstruct fire doors than could end up killing people in a fire.

Better still call Joe Duffy by phone and tell him your story, You did call the Traffic Warden and they left it alone with no action, they did not bother asking the driver to move out of health and Safety reasons, They too were inconsiderate to the dangers of blocking fire exits.

I also pointed it out on the day to a Garda officer on duty nearby, within sight of the obnoxious parking. I was sure he'd have no interest, but I wanted to get his reaction for the record.

His response: "I'm not going to do anything about it."

When I persisted a bit, again with the intention of gauging his attitude, he warned me: "you'd want to watch yourself."

The local authority has repeatedly justified this kind of behaviour, and will only refer me to their parking bye-laws, which they say gives total exemption. Most local elected representatives have no interest, and those that have are frustrated because they are routinely ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

It's beyond ridiculous where that Punto is parked.

Tallon wrote: »
    ^^

Ah Limerick City.... They can't clamp a horse :pac:

Sur' he'll kick you in the face........................................sham!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭gondorff

Are you in the driver's seat?

If so, I'll bet you've seen a few accidents in your rear-view mirror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

This is a rubbish parking thread - I believe you want the rubbish photography forum.
    >

Its what I get for using a rubbish camera biggrin.gif
    gondorff wrote: »
    Are you in the driver's seat?

If so, I'll bet you've seen a few accidents in your rear-view mirror.

Nope passenger seat, car is moving too. That would be just stupid to use a camera when driving, especially when the occupants of that car were having a yap with the local shopping centre security not too far infront...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Delighted to find this thread, the last two times I went to get my MS meds, the drugs delivery company's van was double parked-outside the disabled bays-at least if they had parked in one, I could have parked in the other. I will be taking a photo to post here-and to the company next time.

Oh and to the fat b*tch parked in the only snow-free disabled bay at Supervalu, obesity does not qualify as a disability. Next time I will park outside you and leave the car there until I am good and ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Berty wrote: »
    Normally I hate obnoxious parking but on a Sunday in Limerick you just have to agree to disagree. Everybody parks illegaly because Limerick has no clampers or traffic wardens on a Sunday. Traffic corps could ticket or tow you but they never do.

Here is a just a sample. BTW I was parked on Double yellow lines in a line of 15 cars myself. "When in Rome" :D Didn't take a picture of my own. ;)

Centra Newport

There is a no reason for that Focus to be abandoned like that.

picture

The Fiesta is parked up towards the pump islands which is a pet hate of mine because its hard to get around either side of it. The car park was not busy(loads of spaces) BUT the forecourt was busy he would have been causing bedlam.

picture

This is basically a footpath where ALL of these cars are parked on. Further along you have 3/4 cars actually blocking some private parking.

picture

This is William Street passing through Limerick City. All of the cars on the left are illegaly parked and more in the other direction.

picture

I don't really need to tell you anything about this.

picture

Some daft beggar parked this Juke right in the middle of a shopping centre. :confused:

picture

Wheres all your snow?

:eek:

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭gondorff

Oh and to the fat b*tch parked in the only snow-free disabled bay at Supervalu, obesity does not qualify as a disability. Next time I will park outside you and leave the car there until I am good and ready.

Did she have a badge? If not, I think you really need to mention this in your post if people are to empathise.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Wheres all your snow?

:eek:

;)

We didn't get any snow in Limerick / North Tipperary. The odd car parked in the city today had snow on the roof / bonnet but they were very rare.

Outside my house. No Snow, No Ice & No Frost and at 8am the temperature was 3 degrees on the dashboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I presume this is Galway City.
    The local authority has repeatedly justified this kind of behaviour, and will only refer me to their parking bye-laws, which they say gives total exemption. Most local elected representatives have no interest, and those that have are frustrated because they are routinely ignored.
    BS of the highest order.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/RoadsandTraffic/Publications/FileEnglish,6370,en.doc
    Article 43 wrote:
    Articles 6-17 of these Bye-laws shall not apply to:

(b) a fire brigade vehicle, an ambulance or a vehicle being used by a member of the Garda Siochana or a Traffic Warden or other authorised person in the performance of his/her duties.

Assuming no armed robberies in the vicinity, I highly doubt blocking a school fire escape forms part of a Garda's duties.

However, Article 43(b) refers to Articles 6-17 only to the following matters (note, in their incompetence, Galway City Council have numbered the sections incorrectly on the contents page). So,

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/RoadsandTraffic/Publications/FileEnglish,6370,en.doc
    6 Parking in Pay and Display ticket parking places
    7 Vehicles which may be parked in Pay and Display ticket parking places
    8 Obligation to display a valid parking ticket
    9 Period of parking in ticket parking place.
    10 Removal of vehicle from ticket parking place
    11 Prohibition on certain parking inside an hour of leaving ticket parking place.
    12 Issue of Pay and Display parking tickets
    13 Fee for Pay and Display parking tickets
    14 Conditions for parking in ticket parking place.
    15 Prohibition on parking of temporary dwellings.
    16 Motorcycles and pedal cycles prohibited from parking in Pay and Display ticket parking places
    17 Designated areas for Motorcycles
    None of these entitle anyone to block a private entrance.

Now, at the same time, members of the Garda, are exempt from much of the Road Traffic Acts, but only if they don't endanger others.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2004/en/act/pub/0044/sec0027.html
    Exemptions for emergency vehicles.

27.—Requirements under the Road Traffic Acts 1961 to 2004 relating to vehicles and requirements, restrictions and prohibitions relating to the driving and use of vehicles, other than those provided under sections 49 and 50 (inserted by sections 10 and 11, respectively, of the Act of 1994), 51A and 52 (inserted by sections 49 and 50, respectively, of the Act of 1968) and 53 of the Principal Act and sections 12, 13, 14 and 15 of the Act of 1994, do not apply to a driver of a fire brigade vehicle, an ambulance or the use by a member of the Garda Síochána of a vehicle in the performance of the duties of that member or a person driving or using a vehicle under the direction of a member of the Garda Síochána, where such use does not endanger the safety of road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

In any case, the car was parked in such a way as to obstruct the fire exit of a primary school while the children were inside. Since I find this kind of behaviour disturbing as well as infuriating, I called the Traffic section of the local authority on this occasion. A Traffic Warden came by about half an hour later, and walked up along this line of cars, checking the window of each one. He then walked away again without taking any action.

You should have gone into the school as a "concerned parent" and asked to check the fire exit. Then open it as forcefully as possible, leaving a nice dent on his bmw!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Here's a good one

In the busy shopping period you'd think this loser would have more cop on but it seems his christmas needs are much more important than everyone elses!

I added the lines to make it easier to see just how much this guy was off. Talk about half arsed

Bad parking makes baby jesus cry!

wh4c2.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Here's a good one

In the busy shopping period you'd think this loser would have more cop on but it seems his christmas needs are much more important than everyone elses!

I added the lines to make it easier to see just how much this guy was off. Talk about half arsed

Bad parking makes baby jesus cry!

That's not half arsed at all, that's just making sure no one dents his Toyota Hippie-mobile (whci BTW is nowhere near as green as he thinks) by taking up exactly two spaces.
    Every shopping center should keep a fleet of Smarts to park within 1.25mm of either door, but easier just to clamp the cnut.

• Advertisement

Not strictly obnoxious, IMO. Eccentric perhaps?

I have cropped the photo to obscure the name of the well-known company that owns the van, as they are quite conscientious about their drivers' behaviour on the road. Lynx-eyed regulars in the Motors forum (and there are lots of them) will probably identify the company instantly, but I'm not telling.

I would have liked to see the driver manouevring into this position, just out of interest.

Eccentric_parking.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The infamous crescent shopping center (and none other than a Skoda) :D

DSC01087.jpg

DSC01086.jpg

Footpaths -- aren't dey fierce handy for de parkin all de same, wha?

Tractor_on_footpath.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Mc Love wrote: »
    The infamous crescent shopping center (and none other than a Skoda) :D
    There's a lot worse going on but I wouldn't like to be caught photographing their UK reg V8 petrol Land Rovers and Dodge Rams parked in disabled spots.
    **** your Range Rover Vogue, I've a horse outside..
    Dat's Limerick Citaaay!

That bread man in Salthill doesn't look too happy about being pictured. Let's also be fair about the spaces they are parked in.

OK. He is parked on the wrong said facing in the wrong direction but for me, as a delivery driver in Galway previously and a visitor to the city, that that entire line of double yellow lines should be proper parking, maybe not right up to the end of the median but you could at least add two more spaces.

People probably cannot see it but there are actual parking spaces further along which were not there a few years ago. The council finally bowed to pressure.

Also, VERY IMPORTANT, regarding the delivery man. There are ZERO loading bays in Salthill. That's right ZERO!

/sits back and waits to be corrected by somebody using google street veiw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭Damien360

Berty wrote: »

Also, VERY IMPORTANT, regarding the delivery man. There are ZERO loading bays in Salthill. That's right ZERO!

/sits back and waits to be corrected by somebody using google street veiw

That picture of bread van is just outside Seapoint in Galway. There is not a single space to park for any deliverys unless you go a bit up in the direction of town and park in the church car park. Plenty of spaces for all other users along prom and behind seapoint on any given day.

1. I did allow for the loading bay issue by referring to "eccentric" rather than "strictly obnoxious" parking. You have to admit it took quite a bit of creativity and determination to manoeuvre into that spot!

2. There are loading bays in the vicinity, eg right at the roundabout opposite Seapoint (note road markings and white van top right of photo). However, I acknowledge that there aren't enough given the concentration of commercial premises in the area.

3. Traffic and parking management and enforcement around here is chaotic, inconsistent and ineffective. Abuse of loading bays, taxi ranks, bus stops and Blue Badge spaces is endemic. It is routine for AGS in particular to ignore parking violations (and indeed to participate in irregular parking on occasion!). The Community Wardens are more diligent, but they are most notable by their absence.

4. The Council's response to endemic illegal parking along the central median was to replace double yellow lines with a Pay & Display area! Which they then fail to regulate properly.

5. The Salthill Business Association proclaims that there is a 10-minute grace period for general parking in the area. In practice this means anything goes. There is ample parking on and near the Prom, but a very large number of motorists choose to park illegally directly outside their destination rather than park legally elsewhere and have to endure (horror of horrors) a walk of up to 3 or 4 minutes in duration.

You have to admit it took quite a bit of creativity and determination to manoeuvre into that spot!

No argument there. It took either a lot of patience or arrogance holding people up while the hypocrates in the taxi rank look in with fained horror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Liffey Valley.... Good man !

The other wheel is fully off the ground!

img0592zz.jpg
    Shít iPhone quality

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Tallon wrote: »
    Liffey Valley.... Good man !

The other wheel is fully off the ground!

img0592zz.jpg
    Shít iPhone quality

someone else did the exact same thing in the morning except it was the front wheels...... all just for a space near the door

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement