Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

More Obnoxious parking - ***READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Would you not have called them and asked if they were going to do anything about it....:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Sids Not wrote: »
    Would you not have called them and asked if they were going to do anything about it....:confused:

Do they look like they were going to do anything about it, even if asked? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Do they look like they were going to do anything about it, even if asked? :)

No, they had more important things to do and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

gbee wrote: »
    your local garda. More important things to do than enforce the law.

Such as?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Such as?

get coffee...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

This is the problem -
    He/She can park whever they like (in this case on double yellows and half on the footpath) even if it is just for a short time while someone "pops out" to collect the kids (or whatever). "Sure it will only take a few seconds". :rolleyes:
    This does my head in.
    The reason is very obvious as to why they keep parking like knobs. They know they will get away with it.
    All the Guard had to say was a few words to the driver and the driver wouldn't do it again.
    But no, they just amble past and say nothing to the driver.
    Therefore, why bother - why bother at all. Lets all just park wherever we fcuking like.
    "After all, nobody is going to say anything. Whats the worst thing that can happen? Someone randomer takes a photo of it for some internet site and all the internet jockeys can laugh at my car and how it is parked?
    Wouldn't bother me in the least".

cadaliac wrote: »
    This is the problem -
    He/She can park whever they like (in this case on double yellows and half on the footpath) even if it is just for a short time while someone "pops out" to collect the kids (or whatever). "Sure it will only take a few seconds". :rolleyes:
    This does my head in.
    The reason is very obvious as to why they keep parking like knobs. They know they will get away with it.
    All the Guard had to say was a few words to the driver and the driver wouldn't do it again.
    But no, they just amble past and say nothing to the driver.
    Therefore, why bother - why bother at all. Lets all just park wherever we fcuking like.
    "After all, nobody is going to say anything. Whats the worst thing that can happen? Someone randomer takes a photo of it for some internet site and all the internet jockeys can laugh at my car and how it is parked?
    Wouldn't bother me in the least".

Spot on. Or at least the obnoxious parkers are 95% certain they will get away with it in most cases.

Garda-van-obstructs-footpath.jpg?t=1294665658

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

The GAA saving money there again by robbing letters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 ned 81

thats bad form.....

cadaliac wrote: »
    This is the problem - This does my head in. .

I can agree, but also lighten up. We all need to do things like this from time to time and it's usually only a moment annoyance, unless you let it irk you, you'll be looking out for anything slightly askew and fuming over it.

Life's hard enough and rule and regulations are impossible to comply with at times too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I can agree, but also lighten up. We all need to do things like this from time to time and it's usually only a moment annoyance, unless you let it irk you, you'll be looking out for anything slightly askew and fuming over it.

Life's hard enough and rule and regulations are impossible to comply with at times too.
    I don't mean to have a go at you personally, but this 'ah sure it's grand' attitude is exactly the reason why it happens. Look at the photo of the guy on crutches walking on the road again and tell me that the best response is to 'lighten up'.

1. No, actually.
    2. Life's hard for motorists, so they need to take over Blue Badge spaces and footpaths because disabled people and pedestrians have it too easy?
    3. This is the thread for Obnoxious Parking. There must be a thread for Pathetic Parking Excuses somewhere else.

There's must be a thread for Pathetic Parking Excuses somewhere else.

Where? I've searched pathetic parking and I don't get a result. Thanks, I'd like to post in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ned 81

ha ha nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Well yes, I agree that not every rule can be obeyed but the carry on in the above pics tells it all for me.
    1. No penalty for bad parking - therefore no issue for a repeat offender.
    2. Bad example parking from the Garda van. If it was such an emergency why aren't the lights flashing?
    I firmly believe a lot of the bad driving habits (that we all have) should be penalised and it would then contribute to safer roads. I travelled to Donegal from Cork over the x-mas break and I just couldn't believe all the bad driving, misaligned lights, broken lights, undertaking (me) and just driving with dipped lights when the leader of the pack of 12 cars wouldn't put on the beams.
    None of this, even if a Garda was in one of the cars in the procession, would have been prosecuted/fined.
    It seems a little harsh but in reality, these things will have to be addresses if we want to improve Driving in Ireland as a whole.
    The whole attitude of the Garda in the photo above contributes significantly to this problem.

Where? I've searched pathetic parking and I don't get a result. Thanks, I'd like to post in that.

How about "pathetic excuses for obnoxious/pathetic parking" then?

Here's a few, though I'm sure you can think of better ones. :p

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/8614134.stm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/5244459/Parrot-knocked-off-permit-worst-excuses-to-challenge-parking-tickets-revealed.html

http://www.beatthatparkingticket.com/worst%20excuses.htm

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/12741/parking-excuses-they039ve-heard-them-all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Patrick85

diplomatic immunity lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

folan wrote: »
    your local garda. More important things to do than enforce the law.

Has anyone spotted the fact that there's someone actually opening the door of the Zafira to (presumably) let the children in.

It's not impossible that the woman and the Gardai locked eyes for a moment and they knew she was intending to move asap.

I don't deny that she was parked relatively obnoxiously, but the Garda bashing is probably unwarranted in this instance due to their reasonable assumption that the Zafira wouldn't be causing an obstruction for long, and that stopping her to bollock her would only delay her moving her car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Maybe they already spoke to the lady and are now making their way back to squad car/continuing on their patrol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

In relation to that transit, that's outside the childrens court in Smithfield and if it's there it's transferring a prisoner. Small things like security take precedence over anything else in that situation. I'm not saying it's right but parking up there is a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

In relation to that transit, that's outside the childrens court in Smithfield and if it's there it's transferring a prisoner. Small things like security take precedence over anything else in that situation. I'm not saying it's right but parking up there is a nightmare.

I though it looked like outside the Garda station in Galway city myself ??

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

Thanks, always bad parking down there-nothing unusual about that photo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

mbiking123 wrote: »
    Thanks, always bad parking down there-nothing unusual about that photo

Not only that. The garda carpark is always full, not one inch free and there is a public carpark just besides it, that is usually semi-full, but it won't be filled until the street is all parked up.

And parking in there is so bad, that the City Council was/is planning to put CCTV monitoring up.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Its definitely Galway ( Mill St.) Garda Station.

That was opened about 10-15 years ago and the old station used to be on Eglinton St adjacent to McSwiggins pub which fronts onto Woodquay.

The night the Garda moved to Mill St the pub was broken into by people using the back wall linking up with the newly vacant Garda station.

I bet the pub had to review its security in light of not having a Garda station nearby anymore..........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

mbiking123 wrote: »
    I though it looked like outside the Garda station in Galway city myself ??

I apologise and stand corrected. :o

-Chris- wrote: »
    Has anyone spotted the fact that there's someone actually opening the door of the Zafira to (presumably) let the children in.

It's not impossible that the woman and the Gardai locked eyes for a moment and they knew she was intending to move asap.

I don't deny that she was parked relatively obnoxiously, but the Garda bashing is probably unwarranted in this instance due to their reasonable assumption that the Zafira wouldn't be causing an obstruction for long, and that stopping her to bollock her would only delay her moving her car.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Maybe they already spoke to the lady and are now making their way back to squad car/continuing on their patrol

1. Letting them (teenagers) out. They were entering a gateway approximately one metre to the left of the open car door.

2. The Garda officers didn't break their stride. No eyes were locked, no notice was taken, no interest was shown, no words were spoken. Moments later the same officers walked past another (L-plated) car also parked on the footpath a short distance down the street. Cadaliac is right: the reason that so many motorists continue to park obnoxiously is that they know they can get away with it. Learner drivers know that from the start!

3. The "it's only for two minutes" excuse is the bog standard response given by obnoxious parkers. In which case, this motorist could have parked on the road, rather than obstruct a footpath. Why these able-bodied young adults couldn't walk the width of a footpath is beyond my comprehension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ratzo Rizzo

-Chris- wrote: »

Unfortunately this thread confirms one very obvious fact. People continually park obnoxiously because the Gardai are too lazy to enforce the rules. Simple.
    I drove past a junction one day and a car flew out in front of me causing me to hit the brakes hard. On the other side of the road a Garda car containing 3 Gards looked at me and did absolutely nothing. The problem is that it's simply too much bother for them to punish bad driving/parking so they ignore it allowing people to carry on motoring in the same obnoxious, selfish manner in which they've always done... :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement