Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

More Obnoxious parking - ***READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Ignorant-cnut.jpg?t=1294689643

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Unfortunately this thread confirms one very obvious fact. People continually park obnoxiously because the Gardai are too lazy to enforce the rules. Simple.
    I drove past a junction one day and a car flew out in front of me causing me to hit the brakes hard. On the other side of the road a Garda car containing 3 Gards looked at me and did absolutely nothing. The problem is that it's simply too much bother for them to punish bad driving/parking so they ignore it allowing people to carry on motoring in the same obnoxious, selfish manner in which they've always done... :(

I agree with that so much I had to quote it, I wish I could thank you more than once, sadly what you said is the absolute truth and hence will be ignored and things will carry on as they are with selfish pigs taking the piss and Gards either on the way to the shop or on the way back to the station with their sandwiches.
    People do it because they can, it's two fingers up, the Gards do SFA and if anyone else says something they're gonne be roared at to fcuk off.
    It doesn't happen in other countries because there's no tolerance for that sort of thing (down with it!;))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Unfortunately this thread confirms one very obvious fact. People continually park obnoxiously because the Gardai are too lazy to enforce the rules. Simple.
    I drove past a junction one day and a car flew out in front of me causing me to hit the brakes hard. On the other side of the road a Garda car containing 3 Gards looked at me and did absolutely nothing. The problem is that it's simply too much bother for them to punish bad driving/parking so they ignore it allowing people to carry on motoring in the same obnoxious, selfish manner in which they've always done... :(

I think you have a very blinkered view of what the Gardai are employed to do, they aint there to sort out every little traffic transgression, if they were they would get nothing done, and then you would be back here giving out that the gardai are doing nothing.

I would also imagine if your partner was parked on a footpath loading up the kids, and was ordered to move you would be the first to give out and say they should be out catching real criminals.
    I agree with that so much I had to quote it, I wish I could thank you more than once, sadly what you said is the absolute truth and hence will be ignored and things will carry on as they are with selfish pigs taking the piss and Gards either on the way to the shop or on the way back to the station with their sandwiches.
    People do it because they can, it's two fingers up, the Gards do SFA and if anyone else says something they're gonne be roared at to fcuk off.
    It doesn't happen in other countries because there's no tolerance for that sort of thing (down with it!;))

If you have that attitude its no wonder you have had bad experiences with Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think you have a very blinkered view of what the Gardai are employed to do, they aint there to sort out every little traffic transgression, if they were they would get nothing done, and then you would be back here giving out that the gardai are doing nothing.
    I would have thought every Garda is duty-bound to take action when they witness the law being broken? Perhaps a member of AGS could clarify?

Anan1 wrote: »
    I would have thought every Garda is duty-bound to take action when they witness the law being broken? Perhaps a member of AGS could clarify?

As a general rule that is true, and it applies to road traffic law as well.

However, it has been said that the greatest Garda power is the power of discretion.

I don't expect Garda officers to clamp down hard on every single instance of law-breaking they witness every day. They need to be able to prioritise. However, when it comes to a choice between tackling a blatant parking violation or just turning a blind eye as they walk past because they just can't be bothered, then I know which option I expect them to choose.

In particular I expect Garda officers to prioritise the safety and mobility needs of vulnerable road users, such as children and disabled people. The opposite happens far too often for it not to be a pattern.

Prosecuting road traffic violations is very time-consuming. But what would be the problem with having a stern word with obnoxious parkers and directing them to cop themselves on and have some manners? That's also a Garda power. God knows, the Gardai have no problem telling me where to get off when I insist that they deal with obstruction of pedestrian/disabled facilities (which IMO is a priority issue).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

How do you People know that these people didn't get tickets?? AGS don't put tickets on windscreens like parking wardens do. They put the details in their notebooks and generate the FCPS back at the station.

How do you People know that these people didn't get tickets?? AGS don't put tickets on windscreens like parking wardens do. They put the details in their notebooks and generate the FCPS back at the station.

I can't speak for anyone else, but in the cases I've seen AGS did nothing, not even a quick scribble in a notebook. And that is a repeated occurrence.

Not only that, in some instances they have outright refused to act and/or have given lame excuses for inaction.

IMO the lack of a ticket with the FCPS is a bit of a weak spot. The sight of a ticket on a car may have a deterrent effect on other drivers tempted to park illegally in the vicinity.

However, speeding cars don't have a ticket on them either. The deterrent effect results from the accumulation of penalties, regular public announcements of numbers detected/prosecuted, and word of mouth. A critical mass of penalties must be achieved in order to have a noticeable effect.

The word of mouth on the obnoxious parking front is "who cares?" and "who's going to do anything about it?".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Iwannahurl wrote: »

you'd be surprised how easy it is to damage a car with a pram...accidently of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Obviously people do care if this thread has nearly 200 posts and 200,000 views

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ratzo Rizzo

I would also imagine if your partner was parked on a footpath loading up the kids, and was ordered to move you would be the first to give out and say they should be out catching real criminals.

A couple of years ago I was driving into work when I was caught up in an argument between two taxi drivers. I was behind one of the taxis and had just crossed a junction when another taxi that was stationary decided to pull straight out in front of the taxi I was driving behind. The two drivers argued, the guy in front was about to drive on when the other guy who had pulled out in front of him said something causing him to stop and reverse up to continue their war of words. When he reversed his tow bar hit my car leaving a dent in the registration plate. He drove off and I took his number.
    I then went to the Gardai in Kevin Street to report this incident. The Gardai came out to look at the damage, confirmed it was an RTA and said he would deal with it.
    That was over 2 years ago. I never another word from the Gards. They never phoned, never wrote, nothing...

Unfortunately, my own experience shows that the police force here are indeed extremely lazy when it comes to enforcing the rules of the road in this country. Your argument that they have more important things to do simply doesn't hold water. You make it sound like they are constantly fighting battles with drug dealers, jewel thieves, etc, etc to bother with such trivialities of poor driving but some of the things I see on Irish roads astonish me. I have lived in England and some of the appalling disregard some motorists in this country show to fellow road users and pedestrians beggars belief. Chances are, if a motorist behaved in the same manner in the UK as they do here in Ireland they wouldn't enjoy the privilege of owning a driving licence for very long...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

This ends here... back on topic

Tallon wrote: »
    Obviously people do care if this thread has nearly 200 posts and 200,000 views

Well I know you care! :)

I was referring to the obnoxious parkers, like the one below.

Onkle wrote: »
    back on topic

Certainly. Happy to oblige.

01-RN-2361.jpg?t=1294697089

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

IMO..if a vehicle is parked on a footpath , a person or persons whose pathway is blocked should have the right (if physically capable) to walk or skateboard along their chosen path..i.e. over the obstructing vehicle.....Bet they wouldnt park their again if the returned to find their bonnet,roof and boot lid all dented....:)

Sids Not wrote: »
    IMO..if a vehicle is parked on a footpath , a person or persons whose pathway is blocked should have the right (if physically capable) to walk or skateboard along their chosen path..i.e. over the obstructing vehicle.....Bet they wouldnt park their again if the returned to find their bonnet,roof and boot lid all dented....:)

I should have asked Santa for something along these lines: :)

pram-gatling-guns_1633044i.jpg

136972.jpg

EN2003-251-01D.jpg

But between now and Christmas 2011 I'll just have to put up with this on a daily basis:

06-SO-907b.jpg?t=1294698335

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭My.testicals

They just keep on coming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

But between now and Christmas 2011 I'll just have to put up with this on a daily basis:

No, you don't have to put up with it. Report it.

Where is this happening? Is the same culprit every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

report them every single time they do it until some Guard gets sick of you and does something about it.

They just keep on coming

durrrr, herpity derp if ever I saw it :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I live in this area Iwannahurl and that footpath drives me bonkers; to the point where I will confront motorists on their anti-social behaviour! After all If I sit on the road, I expect to be yelled at..
    It is heavily used, pedestrians don't have an option except to navigate through this obstacle course. There is a school, hospital, university, supermarket, businesses all within 400m of that photo location.
    The Council and the Garda have an obligation to provide and enforce a safe pedestrian throughfare for all or redesignate it as a car park.
    My advice to you is to complain in writing to the local garda superintendent with blanked out reg photos and demand an explanation. Put a disclaimer on it saying you don't want to hear 'we take illegal parking seriously" or "we don't have enough resources".

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i355/Iwannahurl/06-SO-907b.jpg?t=1294698335

You need to go here:
    http://www.youparklikeanasshole.com/
    and get yourself some of these:

parking_notice.jpg

• Advertisement

5uspect wrote: »

Thanks. Yes, I've been thinking about this for a while. "Asshole" -- though accurate -- is a bit American, and the options don't include what I need, but the idea is a good one. I also like the idea of being able to make a web link to the notice, so that the obnoxious parker can see their vehicle online.

All suggestions for wording etc very welcome. If I get something organised I'll post a PDF (FWIW).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Something like You're a f***** ignorant w***** who shouldn't be allowed to drive!
    probably no need for the asterisks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Off topic posts deleted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Dear sweet baby jesus, was at Ballymum NCT centre today, the parking was horrific.

Sadly didn't take any photos but am back in a couple of weeks and will be armed with a camera. I reckon it would outdo pretty much anything on this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

All suggestions for wording etc very welcome. If I get something organised I'll post a PDF (FWIW).

Here's one I did a few months ago after seeing something similar on the web.

I have it in MS Publisher if anyone wants to edit it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Add a link to the bottom of that and you're onto a winner!

http://goo.gl/UbHC4

Spot the common denominator(s).

99-C-20322.jpg?t=1294926214

01-CE-5970.jpg?t=1294926255

04-D-77168.jpg?t=1294926300

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

Childs buggy?

EDIT: You got there first LIGHTNING..... Appropriate username.. :)

CarMuppet wrote: »
    Childs buggy?

EDIT: You got there first LIGHTNING..... Appropriate username.. :)

I knew someone would say that, hence "common denominator(s)"! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

What you need there is a buggy with some six inch nails welded to the side of it (pointy bit out).

Make several attempts to get through the gap, when that fails, you'll have to push the buggy out on the road but make sure you stay as close to the car as physics permits - purely for the childs safety of course :).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement