Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

More Obnoxious parking - ***READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

corktina wrote: »
    the post you quote is over 2 years old....i doubt if the guy is still interested in there being a second ramp at this stage.
    Help_me_21 wrote: »
    Good point...! Didnt even look!!

An Elephant never forgets. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Stingray

Castlewood Avenue, Rathmines

photo2001201101.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Stingray wrote: »

Almost makes you think the name on the truck should have been f**k it:p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Please don't quote large photos. Just change the tags to tags

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Eoin wrote: »
    Please don't quote large photos. Just change the tags to tags

It's Groundhog Day

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Driver employed to transport disabled people proves willing and able to park in an obnoxious manner that makes life more difficult for disabled people.

I think you are being obnoxious in this comment and I'd like that you withdraw it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

gbee wrote: »
    I think you are being obnoxious in this comment and I'd like that you withdraw it.

why? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

thread is turning into a witch hunt.......mods take note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

It was not my intention to be obnoxious, although I was a bit sarcastic. The thread topic is Obnoxious Parking, however, and in my view the vehicle shown is parked in an obnoxious manner that obstructs disabled people as well as pedestrians in general. That is ironic, to say the least.

obnoxiousx3.jpg?t=1295568907

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

Bearcat wrote: »
    thread is turning into a witch hunt.......mods take note.

Which Car is yours mate? :P

kceire wrote: »
    why? :confused:

Because a lot of these drivers are volunteers and make multiple runs daily, it's not like an ordinary school bus for able people where one can seat 40 or more.

I'm sure the 'job' is difficult enough even when doing it voluntarily for the love of the children and generosity of spirit despite being criticized, post the photo as was done, but the added comments later were spiteful.

If we all gave out about the fleets of mini-buses queueing up for the disabled and got the Gardaí to issue tickets, then I'm sure there'd be a lot of parked up vans. And the disabled would have to 'walk'.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Because a lot of these drivers are volunteers and make multiple runs daily, it's not like an ordinary school bus for able people where one can seat 40 or more.

I'm sure the 'job' is difficult enough even when doing it voluntarily for the love of the children and generosity of spirit despite being criticized, post the photo as was done, but the added comments later were spiteful.

If we all gave out about the fleets of mini-buses queueing up for the disabled and got the Gardaí to issue tickets, then I'm sure there'd be a lot of parked up vans. And the disabled would have to 'walk'.

I've had a good look at the pic of the minibus, and i'm genuinely struggling to see how you can defend that parking. I've the greatest of respect for people who volunteer their time to help others, but completely blocking the footpath with a minibus is obnoxious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Anan1 wrote: »
    I've had a good look at the pic of the minibus, and i'm genuinely struggling to see how you can defend that parking. I've the greatest of respect for people who volunteer their time to help others, but completely blocking the footpath with a minibus is obnoxious.
    to take berty's attitude, would you not assume that the driver knows the area / road and is certain he is not being obnoxious.

given that he/she is also driving a group of disabled people you could make the assumption that the driver is acutely aware of their actions in relation to that population subset and therefore the only poeple inconvenienced are those on this thread (on a witchunt, perhaps) and not any of the people whose rights are supposedly being defended?

perhaps the driver stopped there to facilitate disabled people rather than inconvenience them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

I have to agree with Anan1 on this.

I respect what they do, but theres no excuse to park there.
    That said, if the driver was in the bus with the engine running stopped like that to pick up or drop off the passangers then I would have no problem.

That bus is just badly parked and the driver is trying to use his job/voulenteer status to be above the law/rest of us.

subway wrote: »
    to take berty's attitude, would you not assume that the driver knows the area / road and is certain he is not being obnoxious.

given that he/she is also driving a group of disabled people you could make the assumption that the driver is acutely aware of their actions in relation to that population subset and therefore the only poeple inconvenienced are those on this thread (on a witchunt, perhaps) and not any of the people whose rights are supposedly being defended?

perhaps the driver stopped there to facilitate disabled people rather than inconvenience them?
    That's a lot of assuming you're doing there in defence of the driver. Meanwhile, the minibus is still clearly blocking the path.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

If anything, the fact that they drive disabled people makes it worse. The driver should be more aware of the fact that people with buggys, walking aids, wheelchairs etc. will find it difficult to get past.

Btw, I'm assuming that the driver isn't nearby ready to move it, and that there's very little space left between the van and the wall (certainly looks like it from the pic).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

That's a lot of assuming you're doing there in defence of the driver. Meanwhile, the minibus is still clearly blocking the path.

While it is clear that the van is almost fully on the footpath, it is not clear how much space is left between the van and the wall, perhaps there is enough room for a pedestrian to pass on the inside?

Btw, I'm assuming that the driver isn't nearby ready to move it, and that there's very little space left between the van and the wall (looks like it from the pic).

At my local school all the vans tend to arrive at the same time. Then every driver helps to load the three van that can back up to the main door at any one time.

So yes, there would be a lot of moving, one van might take one student, another take a few all depending on their disability and care needed. It can take twenty minutes [or more] to secure a van on one's own [clasps & harnesses].

So I'd say it was very likely that driver was helping to load other vans and securing them ~ obviously, in the case of this particular picture, I wouldn't know.

At my local school all the vans tend to arrive at the same time. Then every driver helps to load the three van that can back up to the main door at any one time.

So yes, there would be a lot of moving, one van might take one student, another take a few all depending on their disability and care needed. It can take twenty minutes [or more] to secure a van on one's own [clasps & harnesses].

So I'd say it was very likely that driver was helping to load other vans and securing them ~ obviously, in the case of this particular picture, I wouldn't know.
    That all makes sense, but it doesn't explain why the minibus is parked on the footpath. In fairness none of us (apart from the person who took it) can be sure from that photo alone, but it doesn't look good.

@Slick50 - An able-bodied person would probably get past, but i'd be surprised if a buggy or a wheelchair would.

• Advertisement

yes, i'm just giving a hypothetical / playing devils advocate
    its not always as black & white as the photo makes it out.

a few people seem to be mentioning a number of reasonable explanations as to why these vans snhould be given leeway in terms of the so called "obnxious parking". they provide a valuable service and the most obnoxious parking (imo) is blocking disabled spaces / access. this is the reverse of that. "disabled" blocking "abled" access and i feel its a much lower level of irritation (certainly not obnoxious)

i suppose the question is (since there are no dobule yellows and the road is clear), is it less of an obstruction to park on the path than on the road. i.e. i assume he parked in that place and in that manner for some reason - personally, i would like to think its for the benefit of his passengers

Apologies, I've no time just now to deal with all the (unexpected) discussion raised by my pic of a van illegally parked on a footpath.

Some salient points:

1. It is illegal to park partly or wholly on a footpath. End of story -- no further elaboration necessary on this point, in this context. There was barely room for a cat to slink through, never mind a wheelchair or a buggy, but since the law is clear and unambiguous the distance between the van and the wall is of no relevance anyway. Double yellow lines have no relevance either.

2. The driver could have parked legally on the road, or in the driveway of his/her residence (see point 3 below). Nothing in the nature of the driver's work grants him/her a special dispensation from fully complying with traffic and parking regulations at all times. Whether or not this vehicle has a Blue Badge displayed, IMO it is as obnoxiously parked as any other vehicle would be in the same situation. Footpaths are for feet, and wheelchairs, and buggies, and children, and senior citizens etc. If in the course of his/her work elsewhere the driver needs to park in order to manage the task of disembarking passengers, then I would expect the driver to do so in a legal and considerate manner.

3. It was a residential area, and there was no centre for disabled people in the vicinity, so AFAIAA the driver was not parking in the course of his/her work. I don't know this for a fact, but the circumstantial evidence (which I am aware of but which of course other posters here couldn't know) indicates that the driver lives in the area and regularly parks nearby. On this occasion, and one or two others that I witnessed, the driver chose to park -- illegally and unnecessarily -- on the footpath.

its just a discussion forum, you dont have to "deal" with the replies , just respond if you are inclined :)

the person who started the thread said its not obnoxious to park illegally as long as you have a good reason. so, good or bad, i believe each example is now up for discussion as to where or not it truly meets the definition "obnoxious" as per thread title.

and as a counterpoint to your post, disabled people have also been know to live in residential areas ;) the driver could have been picking someone up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Because a lot of these drivers are volunteers and
    Not in my experience.

A lot of these drivers are paid. But regardless, volunteering is not an excuse for inconvencing others.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

And I doubt you can load a wheelchair lift if the vehicle is on a side slope like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

phill106 wrote: »
    Here is one from shannon, day before new years eve

8 cars parked illegally...8!

http://i52.tinypic.com/2ymzp5d.jpg

To be fair, you've taken that a bit out of context for shock value. If you want to be pedantic about it, sure, but common sense should prevail over terrible design.

If you take the picture from another angle, there are 3 rows of cars in designated spaces. For some reason, the last row hasn't 5 spaces marked (which the other two rows have!). Those 5 cars are not obstructing anyone. There are 2 rows of cars right behind them (you can see the two jeeps). They are just completing the rectangle that is that parking area.

I'd blame whoever operates the car park, for deciding they would mark 2 and a half rows of parking spaces, and leave an empty area for absolutely no reason when cars can park there without any obstruction. These are all accepted to be parking spaces by the locals. I've often see the guards themselves pull into one of those five spots. Common sense.

The other 3 are harder to defend, as there are yellow lines at the side of Lidl there, however, there is absolutely no reason why there are yellow lines there imo. I've seen a tractor and car pass in opposite directions along that little stretch where there have been cars in all the 8 spaces above. Yellow lines are yellow lines, but they should really be marked as spaces. I've never seen any sort of obstruction caused by cars parked there.

Different story if any of the above were causing any sort of obstruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Slightly Bunkers

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Cheeky little feckers they are. Especially the uppity little rug-rats on trikes. :)

Toddler-competes-with-SUV.jpg?t=1295106171

Ah the poor little mite!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

Rooney10 wrote: »
    To be fair, you've taken that a bit out of context for shock value. If you want to be pedantic about it, sure, but common sense should prevail over terrible design.

If you take the picture from another angle, there are 3 rows of cars in designated spaces. For some reason, the last row hasn't 5 spaces marked (which the other two rows have!). Those 5 cars are not obstructing anyone. There are 2 rows of cars right behind them (you can see the two jeeps). They are just completing the rectangle that is that parking area.

I'd blame whoever operates the car park, for deciding they would mark 2 and a half rows of parking spaces, and leave an empty area for absolutely no reason when cars can park there without any obstruction. These are all accepted to be parking spaces by the locals. I've often see the guards themselves pull into one of those five spots. Common sense.

The other 3 are harder to defend, as there are yellow lines at the side of Lidl there, however, there is absolutely no reason why there are yellow lines there imo. I've seen a tractor and car pass in opposite directions along that little stretch where there have been cars in all the 8 spaces above. Yellow lines are yellow lines, but they should really be marked as spaces. I've never seen any sort of obstruction caused by cars parked there.

Different story if any of the above were causing any sort of obstruction.
    I believe that area was left clear of parking spaces to aid people driving around the carpark. As it is a 2 way carpark system and allowing people to turn right from supermacs towards lidl and vice verca from lidl to supermacs. Add in the taxi and other traffic coming from behind supermacs, I can see why there aren't spaces marked out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Spotted this this morning in Liffey Valley SC. Some people really need their cars taken off them.

b10bf48f.jpg

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ratzo Rizzo

Strangely, the idea of parking some distance from Marlay Park because the car park is full and walking to the park so they can take a healthy walk just doesn't make any sense to the owners of these cars all pictured within a few minutes...

marlay1.jpg
    marlay2.jpg
    marlay3.jpg
    marlay4.jpg
    marlay5.jpg
    marlay6.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement