Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

More Obnoxious parking - ***READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,889 ✭✭✭✭Basq

From a busy Dunnes Stores Sligo Car Park this afternoon...

Photo0052.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ZedsDead

@Basq

when I see a moron parked like that now I just think he/she has to have done that deliberately. How can someone be that stupid? I know sometimes poor parking can be a result of a previous parker being even more ignorant and careless but in that photo it just looks deliberate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

The triple threat.. Disabled spot/path/road.. Good job buddy!!!!

imag0262m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

TJJP wrote: »
    Particularly as said vehicle was pretty much abandoned in the middle of the carriageway thereby inconveniencing other motorists and pedestrians.

B4169284547E4BC184F9B9F2D4F4C3C6-0000316522-0002162546-00500L-9A90CA7BD9D64E3DBDC2E0F158AAFE73.jpg
    Have passed that way quite often, and it seems the car is parked next to where a bus would be.
    TJJP wrote: »
    On the bright side, some drivers parking suspiciously in the area seem to have neglected to apply their handbrakes (is that an offence?) thereby making it easy for the locals to move cars if necessary.

01723C24EE7842B1A3A6CDFDD5199B2D-0000316522-0002162770-00500L-8220B823496E4A0EBC6F56C08782A666.jpg
    Having often waited opposite there for a 66 bus, I would see cars being pushed out of the way, so cars could get out. I think they all do it if double parking, so that they don't block anyone in for the night. Their system works quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

the_syco wrote: »
    Their system works quite well.
    Except for the times they push it and block buses / emergency vehicles from the fire station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

I am not in the 'force' myself, but I told someone who was about parking of Garda vehicles as shown on this thread

They told me that - 'In the course of their duty, Garda, fire brigade vehicles or ambulances and other emergency vehicles can be exempt from some of the road traffic law as long as this does not put other road users in danger'

Apparently its the law, so am afraid they can continue to park on double yellow lines etc etc etc and nothing can be done about it as no law has been broken. Unless it can be proven it puts other road users in danger

mbiking123 wrote: »
    I am not in the 'force' myself, but I told someone who was about parking of Garda vehicles as shown on this thread

They told me that - 'In the course of their duty, Garda, fire brigade vehicles or ambulances and other emergency vehicles can be exempt from some of the road traffic law as long as this does not put other road users in danger'

Apparently its the law, so am afraid they can continue to park on double yellow lines etc etc etc and nothing can be done about it as no law has been broken. Unless it can be proven it puts other road users in danger
    All well and good, but you need to account for (a) triple parking a private vehicle outside the station is not "In the course of their duties" (b) they also have a duty to be responsible citizens and to provide an example to others (c) blocking access for fire brigade vehicles is a rather bad state of affairs.

Let me give the example of a Garda car parked on the footpath in a bus stop, thereby forcing people to board the bus in the middle of the road (dangerous) or not at the bus stop (not legal) or the bus not serving that stop (failing to provide licenced and conditioned service and public obligation).

Now, one wouldn't mind so much, but the bus stop was all of 10m from the vacant Garda station car park. When I complained in the station, I was repeatedly lied to. When i asked to speak to the sergeant, I was threatened with arrest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Victor wrote: »
    When i asked to speak to the sergeant, I was threatened with arrest.
    Next time tell them that you are recording the conversation, and ask what the charge is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

If you're speaking to that Garda officer again, perhaps you might quote from the Garda Inspectorate's report on traffic policing and related matters (Roads Policing Review and Recommendations, page 19):
    Police officers operating Garda vehicles must provide a positive example for other road users and management should develop policies to ensure such is the case. In non-emergency situations, police officers should fully comply with the rules of the road in the operation of vehicles, observing speed limits, traffic signals and refraining from the use of mobile phones while driving.
    The Inspectorate has also stated that the same principles should apply to parking.

Call this Garda-bashing if you will, but IMO there have been enough examples posted in this thread to demonstrate clearly that Garda vehicles as well as Garda-owned private cars are being routinely parked in an obnoxious and inconsiderate manner in non-emergency situations. That they should justify such carry-on with reference to the law makes it even more obnoxious. That they should threaten a member of the public with arrest for objecting (as has happened to me also) makes it outrageous. It's no wonder there is such a high level of non-compliance with and disrespect for road traffic regulations (and other laws) in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 photonirvana

Five parking spaces used. Is it actually possible to park this kind of car in a non-obnoxious manner?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Five parking spaces used. Is it actually possible to park this kind of car in a non-obnoxious manner?

Hehe, in fairness I can't see how that thing would fit into a single space.

Serving suggestions:

Spruce%20Creek2.jpg

parking1.jpg

parking2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

You dont have to read it if you dont like it lad :rolleyes:

True, but I can add my 2 cent if i like :rolleyes:

Berty wrote: »

Chris That ban isn't long enough I'd say.

you don't have a say :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

True, but I can add my 2 cent if i like :rolleyes:
    you don't have a say :rolleyes:

Your ban is up, welcome back to the thread/forum.

Now, please drop it or your next ban will be considerably longer.

@everyone - who ever replies to either of these posts will receive a 7 day ban. This off-topic discussion is not going to continue.

Thanks

All well and good, but you need to account for (a) triple parking a private vehicle outside the station is not "In the course of their duties" (b) they also have a duty to be responsible citizens and to provide an example to others (c) blocking access for fire brigade vehicles is a rather bad state of affairs.

mentioned the whole duty thing, if its a marked Garda car its always on duty

mentioned the whole duty thing, if its a marked Garda car its always on duty

Even outside Supermac's in non-emergency situations? I disagree, and so does the Garda Inspectorate.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Even outside Supermac's in non-emergency situations? I disagree, and so does the Garda Inspectorate.

Even if there is someone in Supermac's with a knife? No way to know if it is an non-emergency situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

lol:D

obnoxious parking thread turns into knife fights in supermacs:):eek:

:D 200 pages of people with nothing to do :D

• Advertisement

Even if there is someone in Supermac's with a knife? No way to know if it is an non-emergency situation.
    And if they are in the pizza place next door to the Garda station having a chat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Ironic post from the author of most of the dumbest recent replies here :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Limerick Bandit, if you don't like the topic/content of a thread you should ignore it rather than trying to take it down from the inside. If you can't be constructive, don't post at all.

You seem unable to post constructively in this thread. Don't post in this thread again.

franksm wrote: »
    Ironic post from the author of most of the dumbest recent replies here :rolleyes:

Attack the post, not the poster please.

Yes there is. ;)

I'll post the photos here when I get a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Can we create a separate thread for Garda parking?

All the fighting about Garda parking is ruining what used to be a good fun thread.

Like everyone else in the country I blame Berty:)

I was in Dublin a while back, I was going into Supermac's on O'Connell St in the evening (late). There was a Garda van parked on the corner outside Supermac's and the two garda were inside getting an order

I can appreciate how people feel as I also felt it was unwarranted, however it is a marked Garda van and therfore not illegal to park on double yellow lines. I think the point should be using a garda vehicles for activities that are not work related. If they were getting food for someone who was detained for questioning thats ok by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Welcome aboard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

bladebrew wrote: »
    lol:D

obnoxious parking thread turns into knife fights in supermacs:):eek:

Agree, nonsense.
    Everyone knows it's Abrakebabra at 3 am for knife fights, Supermacs is general brawling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Beebaa

At last, what I thought this was all about, examples of bad parking.

LIDL Ashbourne have lovely wide bays, yet this driver couldn't choose which bay to take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Parking in LIDL's are the worst I have ever seen. There is one in Dingle and people just abandon it outside the door and there isnt even spaces there - its crazy because the car park is never full

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement