Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ipod touch

Options
  • 10-12-2008 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

where can i purchase a new ipod touch 2nd generation on the web, i tried pixmaina.ie and for 16gb one cost 269 euro, is there any other website that sell cheaper

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Thats probably the cheapest you will find it online, Although if you go to an apple shop or Spectra photo or O2 (bricks and mortar) you should be able to pick it up for 279 (komplett and pixmania charge 269 but then you have P&P to pay aswell which afaik is over €10)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

if you know anyone in the us geta refurbished one from the apple store and save a packet.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

There are refurbished touches on the apple site for 199 (16gb) and 179 (8gb) at the moment. Probably wont last long ...

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/FA627ZO/B

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

clevtrev wrote: »
    There are refurbished touches on the apple site for 199 (16gb) and 179 (8gb) at the moment. Probably wont last long ...

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/FA627ZO/B

Is that 2nd gen though?

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

Hogzy wrote: »
    Is that 2nd gen though?

Yeah you're right its a 1st generation but I dont think there;s much difference between the 2 - Id be happy with either;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

There's always eBay as well.

What's the difference between the 1st and 2nd generation ones, out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

eoin wrote: »
    What's the difference between the 1st and 2nd generation ones, out of interest?

2nd gen. has physical volume up/down buttons like the iPhone and an integrated speaker (again, like the iPhone). It's also slightly thinner I think, but the 1st one was ridiculously thin anyway. Can't think of anything else TBH...

• Registered Users Posts: 54,392 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

J-blk wrote: »
    2nd gen. has physical volume up/down buttons like the iPhone and an integrated speaker (again, like the iPhone). It's also slightly thinner I think, but the 1st one was ridiculously thin anyway. Can't think of anything else TBH...

another difference

the 1G can be hacked and the 2G cant be hacked yet

cant even ****ing spell

another difference

the 1G cant be hacked and the 2G cant be hacked yet

:D
    the 1G can be hacked and the 2G can't be hacked yet

True, though not an actual specification of the devices themselves. Still, you're right, if jailbreaking the device is important to you, you should definitely avoid the 2nd gen. for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The volume up/down keys would be nice, though I plan to get a remote control for it (if they're even available). Not pushed about an integrated speaker though.

I did a jail break on mine, though I have to say, I really just use the out of the box media stuff anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 F**kedForever

Hey there,
    I was wondering if someone could help me out on the topic of the Ipod touch..

When I am at home it picks up my wireless BB no problem but when I am out and I come accross a free public WI FI its states that it cannot connect to a server. Is there something I need to do?

Here in my job there is free WI FI which when I power my lap top on it connects straight away, a friend of mines iphone also picks it straight away..

Can anyone advise???

Cheers x x x:pac:

when I am out and I come accross a free public WI FI its states that it cannot connect to a server. Is there something I need to do?

If you're talking about a specific network that has an SSID of "Free Public WiFi", then it doesn't work, even with a laptop - I'm not sure what the hell this is, I've picked it up around Dublin, you can get on to the network, but there's no actual Internet connection. Some kind of trial/scrapped project maybe?

Open networks should work fine though some networks (e.g Eircom's in Dublin airport) appear open and you can connect to them but you can't surf until you go through a landing page in your browser and buy credits. The iPhone/iPod Touch seems to have some trouble with some of these landing pages...
    Here in my job there is free WI FI which when I power my lap top on it connects straight away, a friend of mines iphone also picks it straight away..

Go to Settings => WiFi => Select a Network and tap its' name (SSID) - it should just connect...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 F**kedForever

Cheers thanks a million for your help :)
    Ill try haivng a mess around with it and see... x x

• Registered Users Posts: 39,383 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you're talking about a specific network that has an SSID of "Free Public WiFi", then it doesn't work, even with a laptop - I'm not sure what the hell this is, I've picked it up around Dublin, you can get on to the network, but there's no actual Internet connection. Some kind of trial/scrapped project maybe?

They are eircom hotspots, you have to sign up om eircoms webpage, and have an eircom account. They you get a password to get the net access.

Mellor wrote: »
    They are eircom hotspots, you have to sign up om eircoms webpage, and have an eircom account. They you get a password to get the net access.

Shouldn't it take you to a landing page or something though (that's how I've seen it work in Dublin airport)? Seems odd that there's no WPA or WEP key to get on the network itself but then all you get is a blankety blank page. How does it recognize users that have a password then?

Advertisement