Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL

Options
  • 10-12-2008 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Anyones NTL gone on the blink?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Decks wrote: »

Some kind of system upgrade message - been there for a long time apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭anniec

according to NTL it will be back at 9.30!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Decks

Gotta love NTL, just as the match ends. Their a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Eddie16

has anyone had trouble with ntl other tha this system upgrade.
    we had no service in our bedroom and yet the min room was working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Had a NTL engineer out last night, informed it will be another few weeks at least till their broadband will be available in Charlesland, it should be 20 meg when it sup and running though so may be worth the wait;)

• Advertisement

This is ridiculous NTL is still gone. I dont use their Broadband services. Anyone else in the same boat or is it just me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭GingerDave

I had to spend the whole evening talking to the wife. LOL

What did we ever do before the box...........??
    It was actually quite refreshing getting back to basics:D

When I left the house this morning it was still off. Looking forward to the radio programmes and card games tonight already........

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

There is to be absolutely no discussion of illegal set top boxes.

I think GingerDave was referring to the TV!

Freedom of speech rules!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Not fight the powa time yet decks. Eoin is referring to a deleted post that you can't see.

Also there is no freedom of speech on Boards.ie

Eoin, I infracted that user.

M

• Advertisement

I think GingerDave was referring to the TV!

Freedom of speech rules!

As Mike said, I deleted a post that explicitly referred to illegal boxes - maybe that wasn't clear, but please PM me in future rather than reply on the thread if you have a problem with the moderation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

This isn't the first note of trouble regarding NTL I have seen. Their bad rep turns up all over the boards. Their idea is great, pump everything in on one cable. But when it comes to rewards for bad customer service and getting things wrong, they earn gold medals.

I had to reboot/reset the box occasionally - I can't remember the combination of keys you press, but I'm sure someone else knows it.

For what it's worth, I have Sky+ now, and while it's a bit more reliable, it's not immune from freezing or acting funny - so it needs a kick up the hole sometimes too.

NO MORE DISCUSSION ON ILLEGAL BOXES.

I'd rather not lock this as most of it is relevant; I've deleted some posts to clean up the thread.

Please stay on topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭GingerDave

(said the actress to the bishop):eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Eddie16

We pay the same about every two months forour ntl bill as my parents who dontlive in the charlesland area, but yet we dont have all the channels they get something to do with the modem system we are on., it is ridiculus i have an engineer out on sat and i have to sit in all day as they cant give me a time because of the area we live in. also i feel it is crazy that we should be told which provider we have to use just because of satellite dishes. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Eddie16 wrote: »
    We pay the same about every two months forour ntl bill as my parents who dontlive in the charlesland area, but yet we dont have all the channels they get something to do with the modem system we are on., it is ridiculus i have an engineer out on sat and i have to sit in all day as they cant give me a time because of the area we live in. also i feel it is crazy that we should be told which provider we have to use just because of satellite dishes. :confused:

1. the number of channels will increase if they upgrade the system, which they appear to be doing.

2. Plenty of people have satellite dishes up - you should be ok provided you don't put it at the front of the house (though plenty of people have done this too).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

3 weeks now and still waiting for their engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

Anyones elses TV gone AGAIN....why oh why do they have to do this at prime time viewing...????????????????:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

I saw this crowd got special mention on the RTE Prime Time ''service with a snarl'' special. Them and my other favourite, Jackie Skelly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Service has now been gone since Thursday...

Only had the chance to call NTL/Chorus/UPC or whatever it is they call themselves today to see what the story is with there not being any signal.

Got some guy on the phone that had me reset the box (before checking signal strengths etc) as they had sent a booster signal... Still no signal, still no cable...

Now the box is just sitting there trying to find channels on a signal that doesn't exist... so can't even watch the stuff that we have recorded on the DVR...

And what is even better is that:
    1. They have no other reported cases from Charlesland
    2. The earliest they can send out an engineer to verify that we don't have any signal at all is by next Saturday! :eek:

To say that the wife is non too happy is an understatement with Christmas etc coming up... She had bought the RTÉ guide and started marking all the programmes to be recorded... :(

If any of you are having any issues with your NTL/Chorus/UPC, please call and report?! (App. they can "speed things up" if they get enough calls on it)

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 boo-urns

FYI there are a bunch of UPC engineers around the estate now, I passed two vans on my way back from Greystones this morning - one outside fairways apartments and the other in Charlesland Park

JanneG wrote: »
    Service has now been gone since Thursday...

Only had the chance to call NTL/Chorus/UPC or whatever it is they call themselves today to see what the story is with there not being any signal.

Got some guy on the phone that had me reset the box (before checking signal strengths etc) as they had sent a booster signal... Still no signal, still no cable...

Now the box is just sitting there trying to find channels on a signal that doesn't exist... so can't even watch the stuff that we have recorded on the DVR...

And what is even better is that:
    1. They have no other reported cases from Charlesland
    2. The earliest they can send out an engineer to verify that we don't have any signal at all is by next Saturday! :eek:

To say that the wife is non too happy is an understatement with Christmas etc coming up... She had bought the RTÉ guide and started marking all the programmes to be recorded... :(

If any of you are having any issues with your NTL/Chorus/UPC, please call and report?! (App. they can "speed things up" if they get enough calls on it)

Cheers!

Make sure you get compensated for that loss. They should freeze charges when their service isn't working. 1 week out of 4 with no service that they are going to charge you for... remind them that.

I tried to call several times, but was left on hold, last time hung up after 25mins :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

In my experience with them, they will agree to refund. But as the bill may not come for a couple of months, you may forget about it. When the bill arrives, no change. When you ring; standard answer is that adjustment will appear in the next statement due to a miscommunication. Then a refund on the rental but not the service, and so on. Along with Jackie Skelly, Woodchester GE finance,Amway networkers and Tom Hanks; NTL are amongst my favourites.

LMC wrote: »
    I tried to call several times, but was left on hold, last time hung up after 25mins :mad:

Email them straight away. In my experience that is actually better because you have a written record. Tell them exactly what's happening, just don't tell them you hung up rather you got 'cut off'. They may not answer until tomorrow but at least its recorded progress.

Just got through after 1/2hr holding, re-set usual stuff - still only rte, getting engineer out on tuesday - which means someone waiting in all day they cant give a time - could be here anytime between 9 - 5..... once its fixed you then have to call back in and apply for refund :mad: :eek:

He said there is nothing wrong with signal - i said a few people had same problem, he said didnt know why!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're getting an engineer out on Tuesday!?

Then why the h*ll did they tell me that the first available appointment at all was next saturday(27th)?

Sky+ becoming a stronger contender by the day...

Still no signal btw...

Signal came back about an hour after talking to them on sat, so obviously when he hit the button to send new upgrade it worked - WHY CANT THEY JUST SEND OUT ONE BIG SIGNAL TO EVERYONE...... :confused:

• Advertisement

Hmmm...

Spoke to the engineer yesterday (as one was finally sent out!!!!)

Long story short... at least 5 houses in the same length as me had no signal coming in to them as there was an equipment fault out on the road...

Engineer nearly went livid when I told him how long it had been like this and he said that it should have been fixed long before Christmas...

Anyhow... still no telly as he unfortunately didn't have the part in the van, but I have been given 1 months credit + the time without service...

Nice long complaint in the post as well... :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement