Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Old Movies on BLU RAY! Any good?

• 10-12-2008 8:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Hey all
    Just noticed alot of old movies are being re mastered for Blu Ray eg
    The Mask
    Predator
    The Terminator
    ETC ETC

Anyways i was just wondering is the quality of these remastered movies the same as new movies! Is it worth splashing out for the blu ray if a dvd that is upscaled will provide similar quality?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Don't worry, those old movies will look as good as new ones alright on bluray. I was intrigued about that too and i found out that the master resolution these movies were recorded in, has more detail than 1080p so those older movies will look fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Some are good some are not so.

Here is a good well maintained list:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=858316

Interesting new addition is Zulu to Tier 0.

The Terminator which you mention is listed in tier 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Zonda999 wrote: »
    the master resolution these movies were recorded in, has more detail than 1080p

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Weird!anywho that list below is good, good for reference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Well, when i say master resolution, i don't actually mean pixels obviously but the HQ original film that old movies were recorded onto was of relative detail in excess of 1080p so in theory, studios, when putting them onto bluray, should be able to make them as good quality as modern movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Don't worry, those old movies will look as good as new ones alright on bluray. I was intrigued about that too and i found out that the master resolution these movies were recorded in, has more detail than 1080p so those older movies will look fantastic

Not really true. Ive seen many films on bluray and the new films look and sound better than older ones. Most bluray review sites will say the same tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

You should keep in mind that all this new HD jargon is specifically aimed at TV , its a jump up in resolution from SD.

Any movie originally intended for the cinema was obviously intended to be shown on a large screen an is inherently of a much higher definition when compared to anything originally intended for TV.

All that has to happen for any movie , no matter how old , to be made into a blu ray is that the original reel is in good condition and that the transfer is done properly.

Quality control in the transfer process is key here , not how old the film is , if its done right then it will make a quality blu ray , if its just dumped over for a quick profit , then it will be poor.

Advertisement