Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coffee jargon..........

• 10-12-2008 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Hi:)

Could someone explain what "blonde" means?

I think I have an idea, when you are drawing a shot and it goes v pale? Hope I didn't make a right eejit of myself there :o

What are the consequences? How far into a shot should it happen? Is it because of incorrect grind? or bad grooming/tamping? Or is it just a normal thing?

I checked around for a thread on "coffee jargon" but couldn't see one. If there were any other terms that could be useful for newbies maybe the coffee "grown ups" :P could post them with an explanation? :D

TYVM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'm posting via mobile so will be short for the moment.

A shot turning blonde is as you correctly stated when it starts to lighten in colour.

It is a sign of over extraction and is not good - will cause the espresso to taste bitter/burnt and you will loose the body of the drink as well, it'll be more watery than it should. People often complain about an espresso tasting too bitter/burnt and blame the roast when the cause is more often over-extraction.

http://www.coffeegeek.com/opinions/markprince/07-20-2004#1 is a useful glossary - even if it doesn't include blonde/blond.

Check up on ristretto as well, it's a deliberate under extraction and what many use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Ristretto: literally, a “restricted” shot. Most double espresso shots are 2.5 to 3 ounces using 14 or more grams of coffee grounds. A ristretto uses the same volume (or dose) of grinds, but the operator pours only about 1.5 ounces (ore less) of espresso in the normal brewing time of 25 to 30 seconds. A ristretto is a richer beverage, much more intense, but also much harder to brew properly. There is a fine balance between stalling an espresso machine and making a perfect ristretto.

Very interesting :)

Gotta get out my weighing scales and check I am getting the correct dose of grinds into the filterbasket.

How do you achieve the slower flow in the same length of time?

While I haven't weighed the dose I put into my filterbasket I have figured out what works in as much as if I put in too much the water squirts out over the top of the portafilter, if I put in too little its too weak and gets blonde v quickly. I suppose I have worked it out on taste also, I like a decent strong shot :)

I think it might be time to invest in a good tamper also, I suspect that would help.

Thats a great glossary Gran Hermano, perfect for newbies :D

Advertisement