Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photography Clubs - What're they like :)

• 10-12-2008 8:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking about joining a photography club, just wondering what have other members "gotten out of it" when they joined one?

Is the advantage just meeting up and chatting with other photographers or is there more to it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Some of them are great for meeting people with the same interest, do projects and share knowledge. Others are like joining a religious cult, they take themselves and their rules far too important.

Any reasonable club will allow you to try them out and vice versa, go along to one of their meetings and see for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭pippatee

I joined one last year and , for a number of reasons, it's been good for me ...

It's nice to be around people who have the same interest as you, and there's always someone who can answer your questions and share ideas with...

Most clubs have a regular competition which gets you out and taking photos...

and some of the guest speakers can be very informative and interesting ...

like I say, that's just my experience ...

Phil

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I joined Dublin Camera Club in 2006 & it has been the best thing I have done in my Photography. Lots of very experienced people to help you out & some great facilities. Some of the speakers have been excellent & you learn a lot from them.

There are also trips that are well worth going to. Some of them are places that only established clubs with Public Liability Insurance would get access.

It does depend on the club & if it suits you. Go along as a visitor & see what you think before joining any club. You also get out of it what you put in as well. The more I got involved with DCC the more I got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Thanks for the feedback, do most clubs let you just "drop in" as a visitor or is this something you specifically arrange?
    You also get out of it what you put in as well. The more I got involved with DCC the more I got.
    How do you mean? Do you just mean going to any outings\meetings or are there other ways to get involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Here is a lilst of clubs you might be interested in...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_camera_clubs_in_Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Gambler wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback, do most clubs let you just "drop in" as a visitor or is this something you specifically arrange?

I can only speak for DCC, but think that most would allow you to just drop in.
    How do you mean? Do you just mean going to any outings\meetings or are there other ways to get involved?

Yes - going to events to start, but also helping in the running of the club. Lot's of things need doing to make things work. In the start I began by organising a trip & then joined the council when asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

CabanSail wrote: »
    I can only speak for DCC, but think that most would allow you to just drop in.
    Cool, are there particular times that are good to drop in? It strikes me there's probably no point dropping in at 9 on a Monday morning :P
    CabanSail wrote: »
    Yes - going to events to start, but also helping in the running of the club. Lot's of things need doing to make things work. In the start I began by organising a trip & then joined the council when asked.
    Hehe Council eh? Sounds very lord of the ringsish - I like it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭pippatee

Most will let you drop in ... dunno if Tallaght is any use to you, they meet at 8 o'clock on Tuseday nights ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

we started a new club in september

based in dalkey and meet at 8pm on a monday night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

stcstc wrote: »
    we started a new club in september

based in dalkey and meet at 8pm on a monday night

Whats your club called and does it have a blog or website?

• Advertisement
Advertisement