Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf MkV GT TDi-Opinion and Advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭hollywoodhoppy

anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Check out Honesjohn.co.uk and look up the reviewcentre.

I dont have one so cant speak about them.

04 Golf V GT TDI is very good price for 9k euros.

Check out Vagdriver as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Ive a 03 gt tdi (mk4). Great car.

9k all in for a 04 seem too cheap - whats the catch

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

voxpop wrote: »
    Ive a 03 gt tdi (mk4). Great car.

9k all in for a 04 seem too cheap - whats the catch

Maybe you saw the thread I posted yesterday. I just bought an 03 gt tdi (mk4). She is comfort range with alloys & spoilers, just serviced, timing belt done, new tyres and only 49K miles for 9600euro. She is a lovely clean car inside and out. People here yesterday say I was done...what do you think?

If you are getting an 04 for 9K then that sounds like a great deal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

I think price is fine?! I was trying to sell on 05 TDI 3dr Sportsline all year and it couldnt be sold for 13K.. So the fact you are buying from NI and its a year older I dont see how the posters think its a cheap car!

BTW, they are a great car. Ive looked after mine and it hasnt caused an ounce of trouble nor will it for a long time to come...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Glenman wrote: »

well, kinda....its nearly a five year old car, and the car sales market in on the floor.
    However, you still would not get that kinda value in any used car dealership here.
    I would not buy in the north tho' - the amount of washed diesel up there in the fuel marketplace. Stick to the uk mainland for sourcing a vehicle.

Thanks for coming back there lads, fair play to ye, there's no catch its straight as they come, they are going for around £5600 (about €6500 with weak sterling) at the mo with about 70000 miles, the VRT will be about 2500 after christmas (its about 2800 now, i'm banking on a 12% drop as the car will be a year older)

Glenman, my best mate has one of the MKIVs and they're a great car, so no need to worry, 9600 is around the going rate over here currently, things can just be got from UK a little cheaper but its a good bit more effort with flights/ferries etc. some people dont like that kind of hassle, i personally am out to get as good a bargain as i can.

My only question is that will the UK prices fall much over christmas into the new year???

well, kinda....its nearly a five year old car, and the car sales market in on the floor.
    However, you still would not get that kinda value in any used car dealership here.
    I would not buy in the north tho' - the amount of washed diesel up there in the fuel marketplace. Stick to the uk mainland for sourcing a vehicle.

Thanks man, i'm kind of wary of that myself to be honest, it has me kinda worried, that would be my only gripe, was talking to the guy, he seemed 100% and all, will wait and see, i'd say it'll be snapped up quickly enough at that money.

I'd also firmly agree that its not an unbelievable deal cause it is about 5 years old, i'd say its more of a fair price to be honest!

Best of luck with it all.
    LOADS of metal on the uk mainland - take a couple of days off and go over and have a good gander.
    Haggle hard, if any car has Tax on it (private sale for instance) get that off the price as they can keep the tax, you'll not be needing it etc etc.
    The car market in the Uk is as depressed as here, so price drops in jan are a given.

Glenman wrote: »
    Maybe you saw the thread I posted yesterday. I just bought an 03 gt tdi (mk4). She is comfort range with alloys & spoilers, just serviced, timing belt done, new tyres and only 49K miles for 9600euro. She is a lovely clean car inside and out. People here yesterday say I was done...what do you think?

if its the gti spec interior (ie recaro type seats, esp,aircon,etc) and its 130 or 150 bhp then I think what you paid is reasonable. The OP here is getting a great deal on that mkv. Mine has 113k miles on it and still going strong., at 49k yours isnt even broken in.

• Advertisement

fair price to be honest!

ok - I know that the OMSP on the revenue is over inflated at time but an 04 gt tdi is valued at €15895 by them. You are getting it for 6k cheaper! If its all good then snap it up cus your getting a bargin.

The 170bhp sport is €20224 !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Make sure the 6-speed gearbox is ok. Mine went @ 64k (Passat 04), just make sure.

thanks cashmni1, will check that out, hopefully something like that would pop up on an RAC check, it starts getting very expsensive when things like that start going wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Which engine is in that car? The GT was stuck on more Golfs than I've had hot dinners.

Biro wrote: »
    Which engine is in that car? The GT was stuck on more Golfs than I've had hot dinners.

2.0 GT TDI 140bhp manual gearbox. Nice analogy by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 169

I had a 05 TDI 140, great car, 50-54mpg, but they can burn a bit of oil in the first 20,000km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

As far as I remember the 6 speed box and the tiptronic version is known not to be as strong and durable as the 5 speed variant. Hence I went for a 5 speed version Passat TDI when I bought last year.

Heard from a local mechanic as well last year that the 140bhp GT TDi eats gearboxes due to the torque.

The following fourm is quiet good and mentions the 6speed gear box issue.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=52010

BTW. In the boot floor there is a Transmission code could be handy to identify potential problems. Some cars had recalls in the UK also for gearbox issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Heard from a local mechanic as well last year that the 140bhp GT TDi eats gearboxes due to the torque.

You mean due to VW's inability to make a good manual gearbox, or reliable things in general these days! They have no more torque than any other modern 2 litre turbo diesel. No other manufacturer is having gearbox trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

voxpop wrote: »
    The 170bhp sport is €20224 !!

A very old one I presume!! Add aprox 15k on top of that for a new 2.0 Tdi 170bhp GT.

su_dios wrote: »
    A very old one I presume!! Add aprox 15k on top of that for a new 2.0 Tdi 170bhp GT.

I was and still am talking about a 04 Golf as per OPs criteria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I know i shouldn't but.... what is GT about that car apart from the badge? if it hasn't got the 170bhp engine then its not a GT.

thanks lads, should the likes of a RAC check be able to pick up on a gearbox thats on the way out. What kind of money are you talking to fix this? i have to admit i'm pretty concerned now ye mention it

They'll pick up on oil leaks and the like, not sure if they do a rolling test drive or bring it for a ripp like any of us would!
    I'd ring/email and ask them.

they definately bring it for a test drive, i read it somewhere on their site, for £200 they'd want to bring it for a rip!!

Advertisement