Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can i ask Eircon to do when i call them about 500ms pings

Options
  • 10-12-2008 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Every evening for the last mth from about 6 till 10 my 7.6 connection is dial-up speeds.

I know there gona tell me its contention but thats just crap.

370643528.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

If it is only happening at these times then yes they will tell you its Congestion. The only other option it to switch providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Thats an option but not one thats gona make a difference and in fact could make things worst.

Stats from dmt are:
    D/stream 5216 att 47.0 snrm6.7 tx pwr 19.7dBm interleaving 64
    RCO 91% (5760kbps)
    bcm6348 V0.7
    255.59 bmips

RCO 66% (1012KBPS)
    Upstream 672 att 27.0db att 27.0 snrm11.0 tx pwr 12.1 interleaving 4

I know the snrm is quiet low but i've been connected at 7+ and never had a disconnect thanks in no small part to a very good netgear dsl modem which will hold a connection as low as 2.3dB.

The problem is not distance from exchange nor is it contention/congestion.
    I could almost set my watch to the time this crap starts and then back to normal which is why i can't figure this out.

PS3/Wii/x-box/voip and cod5 on pc so all are very dependent on Qos/low latency so in effect **** all i can do....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Have you tried for Smart or BT (LLU using ADSL2+), at least Smart will listen and turn-off interleaveing for you if you want, not like the crud excuses that €ircon come up with. Also how long is you line as the ADSL that the conmen use might also be an issue.

MC

Alright munster, no joy with smart, although i do check about once a mth.

I'm 3.7ks from exchange and only after a long, long battel i only have this connection about 3mths so they have had me on an interleaveing dept of 64 since day one and latency was grand, well mid 30s and speed was very nice but in the last month as i said its been crazy, every fupin evening and theres NO WAY contention would affect my connection to this degree.

I haven't bothered to ring them as i know the crap that there gona give me.
    Ten yrs of absolute crap and now this ****, ****ing shower of ***** is all i can say. Sorry..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

In DMT your interleaving is at 64 - this is one of the highest setting possible (range is from 1 to 64 with 1 being off)

High interleaving = higher latency to stabilise the line.

I recommend you drop to a lower speed with low interleaving...high speed with low interleaving on a poor line would lead to massive packet loss which is also bad for gaming etc...

Sadly for you when interleaving and contention come together you get the result you are seeing - like many things - contention only becomes important to people when stuff like this happens...

There is no free lunch with DSL - it's a trade off between interleaving and speed.

However - if it happens at a particular time it could be a leaky sodium lamp or something else - is there anything (timers etc) that comes on at that time?

Pity you cant go for Smart :( Best bet is to ring eircom and tell them you are a gamer...see what they suggest.

As you count binary streams (I am that sad too!) this may interest you also

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/interleaving.htm

• Advertisement

Hey crawler, i was thinking i was geting away with it nicley until now i.e. upgrades and all that but somethings gona have to be done as all heads turn to me to sort things out.

Smart :eek: my brother has Smart and what a service. Cracking isp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Hey crawler, i was thinking i was geting away with it nicley until now i.e. upgrades and all that but somethings gona have to be done as all heads turn to me to sort things out.

Smart :eek: my brother has Smart and what a service. Cracking isp.

Looking at the above stats you posted it looks like you are struggling to synch at 7.6mg if that is the current package. I'd do as was already suggested and get Eircom to lower the speeds and check what you Synch at and the noise margin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭spixel

Interleaving would not cause 700 ping .. it adds 50-80ms max and does not cause pings to be eratic changing every second. Its not contention either, i have the exact same problem as you in waterford. Ive rang up and they will do absolutley noting. They said they will run tests on my line , then they respond saying everythings fine and at that moment i have 400ping and downloading at 20bytes a second. Oh and just for a comparison. Someone in england with a 'normal' internet can ping to australia for less than 200ping yet we here in ireland get double that to somewhere in our own country. Amazing

Ring up eircom , complain. The more people that do the more intent they will have to actually sort it out.

This is what i cant get my head around, im not a technician or engineer but i know that this is a bigger issue than interleaveing or contention, and just like the flick of a switch all goes back to normal.

Your in Waterford so i can rule out any interference i.e. sodium lamps and the like which if it were an isolated and local event would be a dead cert to be causing it but you are 200mls away and have the very same symptons.

I've not gone over my 51Gig allowance once so its not throttling which still wouldn't explain 700ms pings.

I'm by no means a paranoid person but after a month of this and having considered all options i really am starting to think theres something a little more sinister going on with eircom.

I'm finished my exams on Friday and will spend plenty of time then sorting this out, TRYING to sort this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Since the upgrades in line speeds, Eircoms connectivity from the regions (Their Backhaul) has become congested. They haven't even upgraded the line speeds in Carlow from 3-> 7.6 meg for example because the Carlow exchange doesn't have the capacity into their Core network for it. So all us 3meg 24:1 users are stuck on 3meg for the time being. Hopefully they'll cop the hell on soon and upgrade the backhaul.

I did see a presentation on their NGN last week that was pretty interesting but they wouldn't say if the existing DSL infrastructure would be moved onto it.

Paul

• Advertisement

Its happening to alot of people , its just not a local problem as you said. As with you i had a good connection , stable speeds , low pings for a couple of months then it goes back like this which is how it was 2 years ago. I have no idea what the problem is but im starting to think its someting eircom are doing on purpose to cut down costs. Its definatley not contention or 'My pcs problem' as they tell me. The way it happens almost automatically at certain times also makes a hint that its got to do with the broadband service itself , like they throttle everyones connection during peak hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Having the exact same problem with Eircom here in Newbridge. 6pm to around 10pm, although right now I'm still stuck downloading a driver update at 7.6Kbps.

:mad:

flamegrill wrote: »
    Since the upgrades in line speeds, Eircoms connectivity from the regions (Their Backhaul) has become congested. They haven't even upgraded the line speeds in Carlow from 3-> 7.6 meg for example because the Carlow exchange doesn't have the capacity into their Core network for it. So all us 3meg 24:1 users are stuck on 3meg for the time being. Hopefully they'll cop the hell on soon and upgrade the backhaul.

I did see a presentation on their NGN last week that was pretty interesting but they wouldn't say if the existing DSL infrastructure would be moved onto it.

Paul

I dont think my area has been upgraded yet but its still TERRIBLE , i was on 2mb , still am. What i dont get is how it can go from a perfect broadband on 48:1 contention for months at a time to months at a time of performing like a 56k modem.

hum..i didn't know that about there backhaul but then again why would i. One would just assume that this would be the VERY first thing to be done before doing a major country wide upgrade.

Any network is only as fast as its slowest point, even i know that. Well if there god dam backhaul hasn't been upgraded that would make some kind of sense as to whats going on.

I don't feel as paranoid now :rolleyes: but just as angry.

Youll feel just as paranoid when you know that alot of people have a normal connection. Thats what annoys me.

I know alot of people who dont have the same ping issues :(

Maybe theres an eircom tech in the loop on here that might let us in on yet another of eircoms dirty little secrets cos this is not dsl, dsl doesen't/shouldn't behave like this even at its outer limits.

Then ****ers are up to something, its not a dsl issue but an isp issue that much is obivious.

Its not an isp problem as ive been on digiweb/irishbroadband/gaelictelecom/imagine and have had the same problem for the majority which is why i keep swaping. But after all these people just re-sell eircom so its probably got to do with them. People on eircom still have good connections though , just seems to depend on your exchange. They give good service to some , not to others.

And yes , i was told theres no problem at the exchange or my line :>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

In telecoms there is a rule - things ALWAYS get worse...distance makes things worse, speed makes things worse etc etc etc...

DSL is no different - a very funny thing starts happening with LOTS of DSL running in copper lines and not even good FEC or interleaving can correct it - DSM might help in the future but not today...

You are probably suffering from a combination of a few things (Interleaving, contention, interference etc) - no one of them one their own would cause a big difference but together - they will.

There is no perfect ISP because there is no perfect technology but most ISPs should make most people happy...

crawler wrote: »

There is no perfect ISP because there is no perfect technology but most ISPs should make most people happy...

Then why is Ireland the only country in Europe with such abysmal broadband, and everywhere else has the 'perfect technology' which allows millions of people to actually have a proper service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Maybe theres an eircom tech in the loop on here that might let us in on yet another of eircoms dirty little secrets cos this is not dsl, dsl doesen't/shouldn't behave like this even at its outer limits.

Then ****ers are up to something, its not a dsl issue but an isp issue that much is obivious.

JPB I think you are on the Mountrath exchange? Brother in law of mine has a 7.6Mb DSL connection from Digiweb in Mountrath. From his connection I can ping www.boards.ie with an average ping of 15ms. I can download AVG at a speed of over 650k's on his connection. Connection is always good any time of the day therefore I dount there is any problems with the Mountrath exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

spixel wrote: »
    Then why is Ireland the only country in Europe with such abysmal broadband, and everywhere else has the 'perfect technology' which allows millions of people to actually have a proper service.
    Leaving aside the failings of the government and the generally slower products its much more likely that a customer would not get what they pay for here because of our low population density and terrible planning situation which means there are much more people with long lines than in other countries. Not to mention that fact that you are definitely going to hear more bad stories from Ireland because we live here. I'm sure if you look up a broadband forum from the UK or any other country in Europe you will see plenty of complaints there too.

Poor planning, POOR??? WTF? What ffin planning more like? :)

The "Carlow Man" is a joke, because the man project was split by region, SE, Midlands, etc. The Carlow MAN didn't cross the Barrow into "Graiguecullen" which is technically laoise (Midlands) but is really in Carlow. Now e-net extended the man for another operator (who I won't name) and said operator dug from the MAN past our estate (right past the entrance) and do you think there was any joined thought in the whole thing that would have put a shared infrastructure in place so that anyone could use this fancy new ducting? No. none. The ffin councils should be stipulating that _any_ comms work should result in ducting going in, the Local authority should part fund the dig and the LA should retain ownership and manage access.

Instead we have Operator A going down the right hand side of the road, Operator B going down the left hand side of the road, Operator C going down the middle of the road. 2 things happen then. No ffin way for anyone to get fibre from a to b and secondly the damn road is a shambles because they only half fix it post dig.

It's a bloody disgrace. And all Comreg do is stick their heads in the sand and hope it goes away. Infact at this stage it looks like Operators are just getting on with what they have and saying "fúck comreg".

It's a shambles. Fianna Fail should be thrown out on their ear. It's their fault entirely.

</rant>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

I can never understand why with all the work the Co Co do each and every year with extending paths, re-doing road ways, re-doing flood water pipes...why they cant run one or two lengths of conduit down in the whole they dug, have it done and cover the whole thing in. I realise that there would be only patches of empty conduit through out the county, but after a year I would bet that they would clock up 100's of km of empty ducts that could be used for NGN stuff in years to come, thus speeding up the whole process.

Leaving aside the failings of the government and the generally slower products its much more likely that a customer would not get what they pay for here because of our low population density and terrible planning situation which means there are much more people with long lines than in other countries. Not to mention that fact that you are definitely going to hear more bad stories from Ireland because we live here. I'm sure if you look up a broadband forum from the UK or any other country in Europe you will see plenty of complaints there too.

Yes of course there will always be complaints but ive never seen it to the extent as it is here. Check a UK forum its someone complaining about getting 1.5mb download speeds on a 2mb line. Heres its someone complaining about getting 56k download speeds on a 2mb line and pings sometimes in the thousands which is high enough for someone to ping around the world a couple of times:)

JPB I think you are on the Mountrath exchange? Brother in law of mine has a 7.6Mb DSL connection from Digiweb in Mountrath. From his connection I can ping www.boards.ie with an average ping of 15ms. I can download AVG at a speed of over 650k's on his connection. Connection is always good any time of the day therefore I dount there is any problems with the Mountrath exchange.

I am on the Mountrath exchange paddy. I didn't say there was an issue with the local exchange especially with people all over the country having the very same issues
    so ive pretty much ruled out any of the normal issues, distance, quality of line, internal wiring contention etc etc.

Your brother in law must live pretty dam close to the exchange to have 15ms pings on the 7.6 package btw.

Anyways, as normal things are kinda back to normal as usual apart from high pings

370865844.png

Look at this sh1te from last night. FFS Eircom get the bloody finger out please!!!!

http://weird.ie/files/smokeping.png

13% packet loss, pings of 434ms (max) and around 10KB/s downloads, I nearly swore I got downgraded to dual ISDN or something last night. Eircom are clearly a shower of incompetent arseh0les, there's no other word for it. They can't claim that was contention, something was broke (OH NO IT WASN'T </eircom).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

flamegrill wrote: »
    Look at this sh1te from last night. FFS Eircom get the bloody finger out please!!!!

http://weird.ie/files/smokeping.png

13% packet loss, pings of 434ms (max) and around 10KB/s downloads, I nearly swore I got downgraded to dual ISDN or something last night. Eircom are clearly a shower of incompetent arseh0les, there's no other word for it. They can't claim that was contention, something was broke (OH NO IT WASN'T </eircom).

Funny how you mention lastnight because my eircom BB was giving me pings of 500 lastnight.
    The only time ive had such high opings was over a year ago, it took calls to head of comms in eircom to sort that out.
    It took me 5 months of banging my head against a brick wall.
    Eventually an update to our local exchange sorted it out and since the pings and speeds have been perfect.

Lastnight is the first time in over a year ive had high pings.
    Having said that there is something strange going on as the past 10 days or so im getting random disconects, that i can live with, high pings i cant.

Anyone else have unusually high ping problems on eircom lastnight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

hi

i have incredibly high pings the last month each evening, how i no for a fact its not contention problems as local pings to uk / IE servers are normal.

The problem is a hop on the eircom network up in dublin and boosts my ping from 19ms to 300+

As i own german servers for multiple tasks it makes me having and paying money for these useless, eircom sort this out.. will post exact traceroutes and which server is b0ll0xed when i get home

/rant

lol, rang eircom & had my profile changed and now on interleaving dept of 32 down and 4 up, my advice is not to ring eircom if your internet usage is latency dependent.
    These pings to boards were done at lunch time 1pm

370998891.png

C:\Users\msimobo>ping boards.ie -t

Pinging boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=208ms TTL=61
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=212ms TTL=61
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=215ms TTL=61
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=208ms TTL=61
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=220ms TTL=61
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=212ms TTL=61
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=203ms TTL=61
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=214ms TTL=61

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
    Packets: Sent = 20, Received = 20, Lost = 0 (0% loss)
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 195ms, Maximum = 223ms, Average = 211ms

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

spixel wrote: »

They don't, go to the likes of digital spy and thinkbroadband and read about all the uk dsl users complaining about how crap there speed is, fair usage policys and how bad support is.

I'm sure every country has similar storys, :)

Advertisement