Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving to driving test

Options
  • 10-12-2008 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

hi i dunno if i've posted this in the right forum but my driving test is on friday and given that i get a E1000 fine if i'm caught driving without a fully licenced driver i was wondering if theres a special exception that is made since i will be driving to my driving test or if i'm pulled over do i get still the fine??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,997 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is no exemption in law... rather like the tax-display-on-new-cars theres a good chance you'd be let away with the letter showing the booking BUT there is nothing special in law for it.

Plus, even if you pass you still don't hold a full licence as of then so officially you need an accompanying driver then - same applies really.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭rliston

MYOB wrote: »
    Plus, even if you pass you still don't hold a full licence as of then so officially you need an accompanying driver then - same applies really.

IIRC the certificate of competency that you get when you pass, allows you to drive unaccompanied

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Aha but how do you get there?

Everybody else, save for one or two, drive all by themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

rliston wrote: »
    IIRC the certificate of competency that you get when you pass, allows you to drive unaccompanied

That is not true. Only upon receiving your full license (pink piece of paper) are you legally entitled to drive unaccompanied. A cert of competency is not a full license.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,997 ✭✭✭✭L1011

rliston wrote: »

No. You are still a provisionally licenced driver, nothing has changed till you actually get the licence in the post.
    Berty wrote: »
    Aha but how do you get there?

Everybody else, save for one or two, drive all by themselves.

This is true, I know I drove there myself, then drove on the motorway to the MTO to pay for the licence, and motorway home... bold bold boy ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I drove for 5 months on a provisional till I got my full license.

They were the days when you didnt need to carry your license with you. When the Garda asked at checkpoints what kind of license I had I would say "Full License Garda". "On you go".

• Registered Users Posts: 65,458 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Moved to learning to drive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

MYOB wrote: »
    No. You are still a provisionally licenced driver, nothing has changed till you actually get the licence in the post.

After I passed the test the tester explicitly told me I was entitled to take off the L plates and drive unaccompanied as long as I had the certificate and a form of ID with me, EXCEPT on a motorway where it was Illegal until I had received the pink driving licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

kingQuez wrote: »
    After I passed the test the tester explicitly told me I was entitled to take off the L plates and drive unaccompanied as long as I had the certificate and a form of ID with me, EXCEPT on a motorway where it was Illegal until I had received the pink driving licence.

Unfortunately there is a bit of misinformation even amongst examiners. I was told the same after passing my test, but after getting in contact with the RSA they informed my, without any shadow of a doubt that you are not licensed with just a cert of competency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement