Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students' Union Christmas Wishes Poster

Options
  • 10-12-2008 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

What another fine example of the Students Union wasting members money.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

says it all to be tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

What would you prefer them to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Alyosha

Had to laugh at our SU President before one of my exams on Monday. Standing outside the entrance to Industries Hall with a big box of lollipops. With "Tá mé completely as mo bhosca" splashed across his chest. Keep up the good work Aodhán!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

How else are they going to run for councillor next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭RS6

What would you prefer them to do?

Not waste students money on unnecessary posters?

• Advertisement

RS6 wrote: »
    Not waste students money on unnecessary posters?

How is it a waste of money? If they did not spend it, it would go to waste. If you dont use it you lose it. I'd hardly call spending a bit of cash wishing us a happy christmas a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

How is it a waste of money? If they did not spend it, it would go to waste. If you dont use it you lose it. I'd hardly call spending a bit of cash wishing us a happy christmas a waste.

Gentlemen and lady folk of Boards, permission to call this user a moron???

What did what you just said even mean? :confused: Any number of ways would be a better way to spend it - maybe campaigns that directly benefit students in some way? Like extend services for more STI screenings or free contraception? They're fecking throwing good money away on those posters.

They didn't have a post-Ramadan celebration poster with a slogan like "Fair play to the Muslims - they're a great bunch of lads!", and similarly plenty of other denominations' celebrations aren't acknowledged in such a way, so why Xmas??

What did what you just said even mean? :confused: Any number of ways would be a better way to spend it - maybe campaigns that directly benefit students in some way? Like extend services for more STI screenings or free contraception? They're fecking throwing good money away on those posters.

They didn't have a post-Ramadan celebration poster with a slogan like "Fair play to the Muslims - they're a great bunch of lads!", and similarly plenty of other denominations' celebrations aren't acknowledged in such a way, so why Xmas??

Using 50-100 euro is obviously a huge expenditure:rolleyes:
    The Union gets a lot of flak, some of it rightfully so. But to give them flak for wishing us a happy christmas is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

...The Union gets a lot of flak, and rightfully so....

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 5 hazelboots

so why Xmas??

because the majority of people in this country, christian, muslim, atheist or otherwise celebrate christmas! appealing to the majority isnt discriminating against the minority! im all for a post-ramadan poster but sure you'd all be complaining then that wishing people a great ramadan is a waste of money and the complaint would probably be the same! 'why ramadan?'

the students union has its problems but if wishing me a happy christmas gets their faces out there again and keeps people thinking about the union- i say spend the money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've criticised the SU in the past over matters but I think it's a bit OTT to criticise them for producing a poster wishing students a Merry Christmas!

:rolleyes:

And you're insinuating another person is a moron?

As hazelboots said, Christmas is perhaps the most significant time of the year for the majority of people, as well as being the holiday which marks the end of the first semester. The second semester is a good few weeks away.

The very idea that the Union would send out a message of goodwill to the student populace at this time! Jeez it's almost like they're trying to identify with the students or something...

If I come back in January and find posters wishing me a good 2009 I am going to be PISSED OFF.

Denied.
    1. It's Christmas. Not Xmas.
    2. The vast majority of UCD students, even those of different religions mark Christmas somehow.
    3. We have a Christmas break, during which time alot of people go home, and are miserable (there is normally at least one death over the break). No harm trying to cheer people up.

Its still an absolute waste.

Didnt they already wish us a good Christmas in their email.

Its just a tactic to make it look like the Su are out there working for the students when really they havent done much this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 _dazed_

Its still an absolute waste.

Didnt they already wish us a good Christmas in their email.

Its just a tactic to make it look like the Su are out there working for the students when really they havent done much this year.

I'll be the first to admit that the su has many downfalls this year but what I don't understand is people who criticise and complain about the union when they do nothing to help fix or direct it.

If it's bothering you so much that they spent at most 100 euro on posters why don't you complain to them instead of sitting at your computer and wasting your time.

Also if you have ideas on how you would like the SU to work, why don't you go to council and mandate them to do something, or talk to the different officers to tell them what you want from them?

There's no point just complaining about it, do something about it! It really isn't that hard!

_dazed_ wrote: »
    I'll be the first to admit that the su has many downfalls this year but what I don't understand is people who criticise and complain about the union when they do nothing to help fix or direct it.

If it's bothering you so much that they spent at most 100 euro on posters why don't you complain to them instead of sitting at your computer and wasting your time.

Also if you have ideas on how you would like the SU to work, why don't you go to council and mandate them to do something, or talk to the different officers to tell them what you want from them?

There's no point just complaining about it, do something about it! It really isn't that hard!

I did do something about it. I didnt join the union this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 _dazed_

I did do something about it. I didnt join the union this year.

LOL! So in that case I'm guessing you got your €27 (don't quote me on that) back off them that was taken out of your registration at the start of the year? If so then it's really not your place to complain considering it's not your money that was "wasted" on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Oh great, another bunch of whiners complaining about how the union do nothing for them. Change the record - if the Union weren't there, you'd notice it.
    I think the Sabbats and the others holding full time positions in the Union should all take a well deserved two week holiday and while they're gone UCD will go to the s**ts and people will realise how much work everyone puts in, once the library closes because of cutbacks and the students living on res are locked in/out by the prison gates.
    If you have a problem with how the union operates, run in the next elections and make a difference, otherwise shut the f**k up.
    The poster is a great idea - maybe some of you are happy and have no worries, but there are plenty of students who are absolutely miserable and a bit of holiday cheer sent their way makes a huge difference - Is it a waste of money if it stops one person from self harm?

Is it a waste of money if it stops one person from self harm?

Very extreme example.

Money spent on posters in this case is prob better put towards niteline.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

Wastage is wastage, doesnt matter if it €1 or €1,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

I have a question - How many people do you think would pay for membership of the students union if it wasn't compulsory?

Christmas posters - don't see the problem really. I notice that a lot of buildings and the libraries have put up Christmas trees and/or decorations, it's probably a waste of money too but it looks nice, is cheering and I notice no-one has complained about it. Why is the SU singled out here?

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    I have a question - How many people do you think would pay for membership of the students union if it wasn't compulsory?
    How many people would pay their taxes if they werent compulsory?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 hazelboots

Denied.

1. It's Christmas. Not Xmas.

sorry, i dont mean to nitpick :o but xmas is a perfectly valid way of abbreviating christmas. the word christ has been denoted by X for bleedin ages.. its like that church symbol that looks like a p on top of an x, that means christ!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

Wow. Just wow.
    What a ridiculously petty complaint.

I have great time for the union, In just the last 2 weeks they've stopped the gates coming into operation in Merville and they've made my exams easier by providing redbull and bananas.
    I was so happy with the union desk in the RDS.

Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

hazelboots wrote: »
    sorry, i dont mean to nitpick :o but xmas is a perfectly valid way of abbreviating christmas. the word christ has been denoted by X for bleedin ages.. its like that church symbol that looks like a p on top of an x, that means christ!

Go back to america

Go back to america
    Greece actually cretin. Its not the latin letter x but the Greek symbol Chi.

Edit: Ofcourse only a moron would pronounce it exsmas, its shorthand for Christmas
    hazelboots wrote:
    the word christ has been denoted by X for bleedin ages.. its like that church symbol that looks like a p on top of an x, that means christ!

Its the Greek letter Rho. Rho and Chi fused means Jesus Christ. And an ellipse has three dots.

Greece actually cretin. Its not the latin letter x but the Greek symbol Chi.

Edit: Ofcourse only a moron would pronounce it exsmas, its shorthand for Christmas
    Cretin.

Cretin.

Cretin.

Ah yes, somebody from the isle of Crete.

Because if you meant anything else it would be personal abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

How many people would pay their taxes if they werent compulsory?

That's an atrocious analogy. Paying membership fees to a union is in no way comparable to taxes. Membership of a Union is supposed to be voluntary. How would people feel if SIPTU started taking membership fees from PAYE revenue without asking?

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    That's an atrocious analogy. Paying membership fees to a union is in no way comparable to taxes. Membership of a Union is supposed to be voluntary. How would people feel if SIPTU started taking membership fees from PAYE revenue without asking?
    Whats in a name? Does SIPTU run shops, bars, concerts, buses? In many parts of the world UCDSU would be described as a student governement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Oh great, another bunch of whiners complaining about how the union do nothing for them. Change the record - if the Union weren't there, you'd notice it.
    I think the Sabbats and the others holding full time positions in the Union should all take a well deserved two week holiday and while they're gone UCD will go to the s**ts and people will realise how much work everyone puts in, once the library closes because of cutbacks and the students living on res are locked in/out by the prison gates.
    If you have a problem with how the union operates, run in the next elections and make a difference, otherwise shut the f**k up.
    The poster is a great idea - maybe some of you are happy and have no worries, but there are plenty of students who are absolutely miserable and a bit of holiday cheer sent their way makes a huge difference - Is it a waste of money if it stops one person from self harm?

Agree fully with this

Advertisement