Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will recession = more RA properties

Options
  • 10-12-2008 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I'm going to find myself unemployed at the end of January for the first time in years. I rent privately at the moment but will probably have to apply for rent allowance when the time comes. I will approach my current landlord to see if he will accept it, I've been a tenant here for 18 months so hopefully he will at least consider it.
    I've been looking on daft for properties in my area ( cork ) that will accept rent allowance just in case but they are fairly thin on the ground.

Do you guys think that given the current climate landlords will have to relent and start accepting rent allowance if they want to rent their properties?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

katieboo wrote: »
    I'm going to find myself unemployed at the end of January for the first time in years. I rent privately at the moment but will probably have to apply for rent allowance when the time comes. I will approach my current landlord to see if he will accept it, I've been a tenant here for 18 months so hopefully he will at least consider it.
    I've been looking on daft for properties in my area ( cork ) that will accept rent allowance just in case but they are fairly thin on the ground.

Do you guys think that given the current climate landlords will have to relent and start accepting rent allowance if they want to rent their properties?

I'd say that the ones who are currently offering rentals for under €900 (or whatever the rent allowance max is) will have no problem with switching, but the ones who bought a "cutting edge" luxury apartment will probably hold out for some young professionals who will pay €1,500 per month.

In this regard, you might find a few places outside the city become rent allowance quicker than in the city.

But of course, this is premised on the idea that the government will still exist next year and will have enough money to pay rent allowance at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

And it depends on your circumstances.

Single people get feck all in rent allowance (less than 500 in urban areas). The welfare will only give you so much and it will be not enough for the rent charged, its an awful situation to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭katieboo

gurramok wrote: »
    And it depends on your circumstances.

Single people get feck all in rent allowance (less than 500 in urban areas). The welfare will only give you so much and it will be not enough for the rent charged, its an awful situation to be in.

I'm a single parent. I'm not sure what the limit is but i should be able to find somewhere for the amount they give IF i can find a landlord who will take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

katieboo wrote: »
    I'm a single parent. I'm not sure what the limit is but i should be able to find somewhere for the amount they give IF i can find a landlord who will take it.

Well good luck to you and God love you is all I can say Katieboo. I know I was treated like dirt on the ground by prospective landlords here in Dublin when I was claiming rent allowance as a single mother from '98 to '05, despite the fact that I was a full-time university student obviously trying to better myself and make a decent life for myself and my child. All landlords needed to hear was the term 'rent allowance' and that was the end of that. I spent those years raising my child in tiny kips amid damp and disguising squalor in flat-land as a result.

Maybe there will be less snobbery and discrimination in the present economic climate; I hope so for the sake of people in your present situation. Best of luck to you anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

gurramok wrote: »
    Single people get feck all in rent allowance (less than 500 in urban areas.
    It's enough for a room. I think a bigger problem is the delay in getting it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement